Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…
View Poll Results: Choose one! Ahhhhhh!
Top ring! So Sexy and Elegant!
34.48%
Bottom ring! So Sexy and Big!
48.28%
Don't do it! Turbo your car and get Bags! JK JK but I bet this option will get some hits!
17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Help deciding on ring! Secrets safe with you!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Could have atleast posted a picture of my dude!

The following 2 users liked this post by IntactACK:
97BlackAckCL (08-16-2013), Majofo (09-26-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Is she taking a pee behind the car? And did you take a pic? Nice!
Old 08-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Racer

That was her cousin she's actually a lawyer I keep it for black mail. we went manatee hunting and she peed after she took her wet suit off I was dying.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Racer

Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^hater
Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
This thread went about where expected.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Racer

First one is a vvs1/e
Old 08-16-2013, 04:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Ah the crazy that start threads in Dating & Relationships never fail at AZ.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:00 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
This thread definitely delivers. You've got a keeper OP. And asking a bunch of guys on a car forum what ring they like is a little wack. Of course they're going to pick out a ring that looks like it's been modded. I guarantee you the ladies will prefer the top ring.
The following users liked this post:
IntactACK (08-19-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
I spent years bringing jewelry home from exotic places: Italy, Spain, Japan, Hawaii, Brazil and many more. I tried to buy fairly conservative pieces that reflected their culture of origin -- stuff she could wear evenings and to work.

I flamed out 98% of the time. Some had brief success and then sat in the jewelry box evermore.

You will NEVER choose the right ring. Don't even try. Just propose in a clever and memorable way, in a meaningful location. Then happily go ring shopping.

But it won't matter anyway. You are already screwing the pooch and don't seem to recognize it.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
The top one looks like a single halo or whatever and takes away from the main stone. To me, this is trendy ie won't be 'in' in five years but none the less, after picking a ring out my gf saw a double halo in a magazine and loved it. I have not purchased a ring yet so as bad as I felt, one day we were shopping and passed a jewelry store, I had her look at one halo in person and she hated it so I'm back to a classic Tiffany setting with a nice rock. Just something to think about.

Oh Whiskers, I can't believe you said it but we were all thinking it
OP, you must have a great personality.

Last edited by 1StGenCL; 08-18-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
The top one looks like a single halo or whatever and takes away from the main stone. To me, this is trendy ie won't be 'in' in five years but none the less, after picking a ring out my gf saw a double halo in a magazine and loved it. I have not purchased a ring yet so as bad as I felt, one day we were shopping and passed a jewelry store, I had her look at one halo in person and she hated it so I'm back to a classic Tiffany setting with a nice rock. Just something to think about.

Oh Whiskers, I can't believe you said it but we were all thinking it
OP, you must have a great personality.
Hey yeah I'm a good sport bud. I agree, the top ring takes away from the stone, the stone is a vvs1/e a very nice stone and you don't really notice it much.

I noticed the second ring has some markings in it I could not live with for the price so that one is out.

Friday I jumped on an opportunity we went to buy our washer and dryer and while out I grabbed her necklace we bought from there because it had a knot in it and we stumbled into the store, I devised a plan with my buddy who is the manager of the store and we got to looking at rings, the one she liked the most was the top ring! haha bitches! She did like the second ring also, I'm still not sold though. I will have to do some more investigative work with her, don't worry peeps I will handle it!

Thanks everyone for having some fun with me here. Some got a little to serious but I just laugh it off, your just internet tough guys.

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. I don't take them all to heart, some definitly gave me some perspective though....I'll make my own choices thats what makes the world different and each person unique. but thanks for the and glad I could differ your brain from camshafts, cold air intakes, LEDS, and coolant bypass mods! Now go back to the ASPEC group buy thread, dabble through the black market, and end at the NSX section reading with a boner!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 AM
Racer

Mind you I am 6 foot 3" 235 lbs with gigantic hands lol
Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Originally Posted by IntactACK

Mind you I am 6 foot 3" 235 lbs with gigantic hands lol

I can see her liking the other one better, like I said it is the current trendy, hot ring. Nothing wrong with it and if she tires of it you can always pull the main stone and reset it.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Did she see you taking pics of the rings?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Racer

I went after work when she was still at work and devised the plan then like I said we went back out and bought appliances and all that bullshit. We were kind of in a rush we both had playoff games for softball but it made it non conspicous, she also said something along the lines to my buddy, yeah it's going to take some breaking in with him(referring to me) to get me to buy her a ring! ahah
Old 08-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Safety Car

Methinks he likes the pretty rings a wee bit too much.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Team Owner

FWIW we looked at some elaborate settings like ring 1 and the main stone got lost if it wasn't large. We ended up with a simpler setting with a 0.85 ct stone but the cut, color and clarity was awesome. The stone looks larger than it is.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:29 PM
David_Dude

Either way OP, she sounds like she's worth it so she'll like whatever you get. It's about the meaning not the flashiness. So either way it'll work out for you guys. I should shake your hand for your fiance havin a nice rump.
IntactACK (08-20-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

Me thinks David is an ass guy.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:41 PM
David_Dude

And a guy. But it can be either or. It's the shape that catches my eye. I've dated girls with B cups all the way to DD, some with huge butts and some with normal sized rumps and it's how they're shaped, it's not always about the size from what I've learned. But OP's fiance got that rump.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

she also said something along the lines to my buddy, yeah it's going to take some breaking in with him(referring to me) to get me to buy her a ring! ahah
Old 08-19-2013, 02:22 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
as i stated earlier, you're probably going to want to have her help you pick out the ring.

there is nothing worse than buying a ring, proposing, and then finding out you were way off base with your pick.

i mean i don't blame any woman that wants a say in what ring she gets. she has to wear it forever (or at least as long as you're married) so hell, pick it out yourself lady, and i'll swipe the credit card.

source : that is exactly what happened to me.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

^^^^

Live and learn. I'm glad I asked her to help shop for it as well.

If you have to make it a surprise then ask her to pick a couple and you choose one of those. Otherwise I give it 5 years before you're buying her the one she really likes. Either because you caved or are tired of the complaining.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 PM
David_Dude

Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
as i stated earlier, you're probably going to want to have her help you pick out the ring.

there is nothing worse than buying a ring, proposing, and then finding out you were way off base with your pick.

i mean i don't blame any woman that wants a say in what ring she gets. she has to wear it forever (or at least as long as you're married) so hell, pick it out yourself lady, and i'll swipe the credit card.

source : that is exactly what happened to me.
She has given me enough ideas of what she likes so far, I really don't think I'll have a problem nor would she be like that. She is old school, the type of person who would respect me a little more for picking something out myself and surprising her. When we were looking she even said you have good enough taste and surprised her with everything I have bought her already, she would be dissapointed if I took the whole point out of it by saying here pick out a ring and I'll just pay for it. You might as well not have a wedding and just get married in Vegas with her overnight. Like I said before she is very old school when it comes to tradition etc etc. Shes a wild child but only behind closed doors I couldn't ask for someone better for me. I respect it and we share the same morals and views.

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
^^^^

Live and learn. I'm glad I asked her to help shop for it as well.

If you have to make it a surprise then ask her to pick a couple and you choose one of those. Otherwise I give it 5 years before you're buying her the one she really likes. Either because you caved or are tired of the complaining.
Everyone is different. I totally understand where you guys are coming from, it's like cheating and making it easy! A girl shouldn't be stuck on the ring, I can tell you right now she would be happy with anything I gave to her as long as it wasn't fake or shit haha. I just want to pick her out something awesome, I wouldn't ask her to marry me if I didn't want to give her the best. Thanks for all the opinions once again though guys. I'll make the right choice and if I don't I'll live with it knowing I tried and did it the right way in our eyes. I'm kind of over having people tell me to take her shopping and have her pick one out, I stated before thats not our style. She's already told me plenty of times she wants to marry me, we've talked about everything several times, the ring is just a symbol, an overpriced shiny rock! But hey I want to get a nice one lol
Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 AM
BANNED

it has nothing to do about what school she went to, or respect, or morality, or vision.

most of the people in this thread that have given you input have been there before, walked the path you are about to walk, so we are giving you advice based off of our own experiences.

trust me, i don't care what kind of woman she is, she's going to care what she is wearing on her finger for the rest of her life.

i would at least take her to the jewelry store (randomly, like not planned) and just try some stuff on and joke around about it and LEAVE. at that point, you'll at least know what she likes and you can just pick and choose at your leisure.
1Louder (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Everyone is different. I totally understand where you guys are coming from, it's like cheating and making it easy! A girl shouldn't be stuck on the ring, I can tell you right now she would be happy with anything I gave to her as long as it wasn't fake or shit haha. I just want to pick her out something awesome, I wouldn't ask her to marry me if I didn't want to give her the best. Thanks for all the opinions once again though guys. I'll make the right choice and if I don't I'll live with it knowing I tried and did it the right way in our eyes. I'm kind of over having people tell me to take her shopping and have her pick one out, I stated before thats not our style. She's already told me plenty of times she wants to marry me, we've talked about everything several times, the ring is just a symbol, an overpriced shiny rock! But hey I want to get a nice one lol
Your right - everyone is different and you know her best. But as SharksBreath also said, you are getting some rather unanimous advice from guys that have been married a long time. The bottom line is when you are young and in love you could literally mount a turd on a band and she'll be thrilled because the sheer adventure and excitement of a new marriage trumps everything. But 3-4 years from now, when the newness wears off and you get into the day to day issues of being married, attitudes change and evolve. This whole topic is about the day that starts to happen.

So nothing is absolute or guaranteed about any of this. All this about is risk mitigation. Maybe she's the type that will wear what you get her the rest of her life. Maybe, like my wife, in spite of hand selecting her ring she'll still want an upgrade at some point. Lowering your risk buys you time. Maybe her picking the ring means she'll be happy for 20 years before an upgrade where the one you picked might last 10. Maybe it's 15 instead of 5. Maybe she wears what you picked for a lifetime. Her picking the ring does not guarantee you won't be replacing it, but it may push that day off to a time when it's easier to do.

This is a simple problem in that money solves it. Question is how much risk are you willing to accept, and if you decide to stick to your guns how does the idea of throwing $6-10K at this in 7 years sit with you? If you are OK with that, or believe the risk is low, carry on.

Last edited by 1Louder; 08-20-2013 at 08:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
IntactACK (08-20-2013), SharksBreath (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I've spend more than 6 months indirectly drilling her about the rings she wants, until I knew exactly what she wanted. She still stares at it everyday. She had no clue what ring I got her, I just learned what cut and style of band she would love. The only people I've asked for advice were my mom and sister. Not a public forum :mhhhhhhmmm:

Down the line they all want something bigger, something different, etc. It's how they are. Just look at their collection of shoes. They own 20000 pairs but wear like only five. Women are just creates of wants - it's ok. We are here to tame such wants

I bought a very nice ring and I know she will leave me alone for at least a decade or two. Why? because I already told her that... You love it? Enjoy it. Next upgrade will be when you are old and can't stand me
Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I've spend more than 6 months drilling her, until I knew exactly what she wanted.

She still stares at it everyday.

Down the line they all want something bigger, something different
Fixed.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=SharksBreath;14632049]it has nothing to do about what school she went to, or respect, or morality, or vision.

most of the people in this thread that have given you input have been there before, walked the path you are about to walk, so we are giving you advice based off of our own experiences.

trust me, i don't care what kind of woman she is, she's going to care what she is wearing on her finger for the rest of her life.

i would at least take her to the jewelry store (randomly, like not planned) and just try some stuff on and joke around about it and LEAVE. at that point, you'll at least know what she likes and you can just pick and choose at your leisure.[/QUOTE

If you read my thread I have done that twice, and just did it again friday? So....yeah, also she has showed me friends rings and said they are perfect....sooo?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Racer

Please read the thread again...I stated I took everyones advice to heart and consideration, I wouldn't post up asking if I wasn't looking for more of an outsiders opinion. I have been looking for months and months, I have gotten feedback from family and friends, and even her. I posted up on the forum just for some simple advice, I konw she loves the style of the top ring, I also love the top ring minus the setting takes away from the awesome center stone, my jeweler loves the bottom ring and so doesn't everyone else it seems like, I'm not 100 percent sold on anything just looking for some modded out car buddies advice!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

I have been looking for months and months, I have gotten feedback from family and friends, and even her. I posted up on the forum just for some simple advice...
Dude! It's a f#cking chunk of gravel on a strap. Let her choose it!

I also love the top ring minus the setting takes away from the awesome center stone, my jeweler loves the bottom ring and so doesn't everyone else...
You DO understand that she's the one who gets to wear it, right?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Fixed.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
OP

This is how it's done... when the stone is not that big, they use smaller outer stones to give the ring the oomph.. If the stone is larger than 2ct, then the band must accentuate it without the clutter.

But again the whole point is to pick what she wants... Your job is to pay for it...and that's it
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 AM
BANNED

i predict a new thread in 4-6 months from OP.

"so i thought i was doing the right thing and surprised my fiance with a wedding ring, turns out she doesn't like it! what do now?"
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

...complete with sneaky shots of her in embarrassing situations.

'cause chicks dig that
Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
One final though: simple may be good-- I just bought a round solitaire diamond engagement ring in a white gold setting. I think we picked the wedding bands together, though. No complaints yet.

Quick Reply: Help deciding on ring! Secrets safe with you!