Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Have you and your significant other argued over what brand of cars you have?

Old 03-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Have you and your significant other argued over what brand of cars you have?

I got into an argument with my bf over why I would never buy a GM car. His family are big GM people, so he kinda got really mad and sees having a debate as an argument. The good news is that after he test drove a TSX, claiming it was the best car he has ever ridden in, he changed his mind.

I've read on these boards and talked to some of my friends whose girlfriends can't stand their cars. One of my friends drives a Camry LE, and his Sunfire driving gf gets all in his face about how he needs to switch over to Pontiac. She even demanded that unless he sells it, she's never riding in it again. Now whenever they go anywhere together they take her car! Has anyone else had this type of experience?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was one of "the ignorant" once, too. My whole family has Grand Am/Prixs and my dad builds street rods for fun. Obvously, they warped my fragile little mind. My first car was a Pontiac POS Sunbird. Second was a Cavalier. Both the biggest crap-mobiles ever. I wanted a Grand Am so badly. My hubby had a new Civic when I met him. He had to take me by the hand to the Honda and Toyota dealerships and they showed me hard evidence that Japanese cars were better. Now I'm a walking Honda commercial. I still get some crap from the family and some of my friends, but I always have the last laugh when I go to pick them up when their cars are in the shop yet again.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Diamonds are forever...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never came up in my relationship, probably because we both have the same car model, just different years

I think its stupid to fight about such trivial things, a car is a car. I could understand if they are complaining because the car is unsafe, but other than that it should really not be an issue

If its kept in the manner of a friendly debate thats fine, but once it crosses the line into a real argument there is something wrong.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
Never came up in my relationship, probably because we both have the same car model, just different years

I think its stupid to fight about such trivial things, a car is a car. I could understand if they are complaining because the car is unsafe, but other than that it should really not be an issue

If its kept in the manner of a friendly debate thats fine, but once it crosses the line into a real argument there is something wrong.
Sometimes there are underlying issues (like in my case, he's got an aversion to confrontation of any kind).
Old 03-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i always badmouth weaker 4 cylinder cars like big camrys and shit with 4 bangers...and i always forget she drives a LX 4cyl accord so she thinks im always talkin shit about her car
Old 03-07-2005, 02:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
If a girl bagged on my car...wow...I don'w know what I would do...needless to say I think "grow up" would be in there somewhere if she told me she was never going to ride in it again.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:52 AM
Diamonds are forever...

Originally Posted by youngTL
Sometimes there are underlying issues (like in my case, he's got an aversion to confrontation of any kind).
If he has issues, then I don't even think the topic of the argument is relevant. I was under the assumption that we were speaking strictly about arguments over cars, not the underlying issues that would be the indirect cause of said argument. I did however imply that there could be some other issues involved here:

but once it crosses the line into a real argument there is something wrong
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but by something wrong I was referring to some other issue that could be present because, and this is just my if someone has a serious problem with the type of car a person drives (this car being safe etc), that is just something trivial. Fighting over something like that is pointless, what someone drives is what someone drives, shouldn't matter unless its a safety issue. Everyone has their opinion about what is the best, but its stupid to try to force it on others.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Her parents drive Hondas and Nissans, she drives a RAV-4 and we both think American cars are junk. Other than that she just doesnt care.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:59 AM
*~ i am a girl ~*

my ex used to make fun of my eclipse... (he was ALL about domestics) but it didn't really bother me cuz i adored that car. now ever since i got my CL, most guys seem to really like it. or at least no one's ever said anything bad about it!

in spite of how much i looove cars, i've never really cared very much about whatever my bf was driving at the time... i've dated a guy with a cavalier and i've dated a guy with an M3, and it was cool either way. i kinda think i'm in the minority there though, most girls i know get waaay too excited over expensive cars!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

When we met, we both had the same car (gee, big surprise considering where we met), but when I moved out there, I had to sell mine because it was too weird having duplicate cars. But I got a Honda.

Now, he does like cars that I can't stand, but that's a taste issue, and I wouldn't break up with him over it. haha