Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Getting Divorced :(

Old 11-29-2004, 11:55 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
happy belated guy...

sorry i missed it.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:43 PM
ric
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never have been divorced, but my knowledge of divorce and its sequalae are based on my wife's eight-year brutal divorce saga with her ex-husband. She ultimately bought her way out of the marriage, knowing that his health was crappy and their son would inherit stuff that she might have gotten if she had hired a shark. She ended up with sole custody, I ended up with a wonderful stepson. (BTW, I was not the causative pressure for the breakup, which begaqn before my wife and I met - his unremitting substance abuse was. ) But some suggestions anyway, some of which are very parallel to ZQQM's, who has been through the wringer and is walking out the other side.

Get an attorney: Keeping this clean is best done if you have a legal advocate in your corner. You need an attorney who understands the specifics of divorce law in your state. They will save you innumberable hours and a great deal of frustration - and quite possible a great deal of money. Hiring a lawyer is not a form of disloyalty to your soon-to-be ex, it is a form of self-protection during a time when you may not be at your best in even the basic negotiation and paperfiling that the simplest divorce requires. There are dozens of legitimate, nice, effective divorce attorneys who are used to the challenges and understand the issues. Interview three over the phone, pick one then trust him/her to lead you as qickly as possible through the traces and get through it quickly.

Get rid of most of the vestiges of your shared life, including, if financially possible, the house and all the "stuff". Living in the shattered memory of your marriage is bound to be toxic. Even if you move to a minimalist residence as a "swing site" between where you've been and where you're going, it's better than shrouding yourself in memories. When you get rid of it, think carefully about what you replace it with, if anything. If you've always wanted a billiards table in your dining room, now's the time - or a small putting green in the living room - or wanted to put a mirror on the ceiling -

Get a life - somewhere, someplace, you have some interests that can be pulled out of the closet - golfing, gardening, bridge, chess, working out, jogging, collecting bottlecaps, traveling - time to dig those out and see how do do that activity with other folks. If its politics or religion, get involved and volunteer. Take a night course or weekend continuing ed course at a local school; virtually every college or university has some form of adult "life enrichment" courses - its now time to enrich your life. The people you meet may not be best bud candidates, but spending time with other folks keeps the isolation from turning into chronic depression, which then develops its own negativistic cycle. Make a list of the three most improbable activities that you might ever consider doing, and then pick one and get involved in doing it............Skydiving? Small airplane flying? Bungee cord jumping? Glacier skiing? driving trucks in a demolition derby? The more outrageous some of these activities are, the more likely they are to help you redefine a new way to live - even if you only skydive once.........(hopefully successfully) .

Get someone to talk with, pastoral counselor, therapist, relative, whatever - someone who can listen reflectively, provide some level of coaching and be "in your court". Posting on this webpage, which I sometimes think of as a replacement for the corner pub, is not a bad place to start..........just don't let it stop here. Talking with a therapist about the grief of loss is not such a bad thing to do, nor is pursuing professional help a sign of failure or weakness, it is actually a sign of strength. A couple of guys have posted on the subject of antidepressants; you might consider that route. I've successfully used antidepressants once in my life - was materially helpful as a crutch for about two years.

Get moving every day, depresssing as it may seem. If you can tie that to a careful regimen of diet and exercise, it will help fight the natural tendency to isolate and self-depress. Work out a a gym, one that you're comfortable at, and become a "regular".

Recognize that obsessing about her, her relationship with her parents, her former relationship with her, is not all that useful now. Over time, as you have a chance to develop some perspective about your relationsihp with her, some "lessons learned" may emerge that you can objectively look at and absorb - that therapist or best bud may be able, three - six - twelve months from now speak to those issues with you. Right now, it is too easy to get into who was right, who was wrong - and ultimately, that doesn't matter much. What is important is that a chapter of your life has ended, and you need to write the first paragraph of the next one. And - it appears to be one without your former wife.

Self-pity and moroseness are well-deserved for about two or three weeks, after that, you're coasting..................

Find creative ways to deal with the holidays, which can be brutal if you are still in the throes of being single. Maybe find a way to completely break your old habits - volunteer to do something on Christmas Day, rather than stay at home.

The ancient Chinese symbol for "crisis" and "opportunity" is, I believe, one and the same. I've always taken great heart in that when something in my life blew up in my face............. Good luck and keep posting...........
Old 11-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ric
never have been divorced, but my knowledge of divorce and its sequalae are based on my wife's eight-year brutal divorce saga with her ex-husband. She ultimately bought her way out of the marriage, knowing that his health was crappy and their son would inherit stuff that she might have gotten if she had hired a shark. She ended up with sole custody, I ended up with a wonderful stepson. (BTW, I was not the causative pressure for the breakup, which begaqn before my wife and I met - his unremitting substance abuse was. ) But some suggestions anyway, some of which are very parallel to ZQQM's, who has been through the wringer and is walking out the other side.

Get an attorney: Keeping this clean is best done if you have a legal advocate in your corner. You need an attorney who understands the specifics of divorce law in your state. They will save you innumberable hours and a great deal of frustration - and quite possible a great deal of money. Hiring a lawyer is not a form of disloyalty to your soon-to-be ex, it is a form of self-protection during a time when you may not be at your best in even the basic negotiation and paperfiling that the simplest divorce requires. There are dozens of legitimate, nice, effective divorce attorneys who are used to the challenges and understand the issues. Interview three over the phone, pick one then trust him/her to lead you as qickly as possible through the traces and get through it quickly.

Get rid of most of the vestiges of your shared life, including, if financially possible, the house and all the "stuff". Living in the shattered memory of your marriage is bound to be toxic. Even if you move to a minimalist residence as a "swing site" between where you've been and where you're going, it's better than shrouding yourself in memories. When you get rid of it, think carefully about what you replace it with, if anything. If you've always wanted a billiards table in your dining room, now's the time - or a small putting green in the living room - or wanted to put a mirror on the ceiling -

Get a life - somewhere, someplace, you have some interests that can be pulled out of the closet - golfing, gardening, bridge, chess, working out, jogging, collecting bottlecaps, traveling - time to dig those out and see how do do that activity with other folks. If its politics or religion, get involved and volunteer. Take a night course or weekend continuing ed course at a local school; virtually every college or university has some form of adult "life enrichment" courses - its now time to enrich your life. The people you meet may not be best bud candidates, but spending time with other folks keeps the isolation from turning into chronic depression, which then develops its own negativistic cycle. Make a list of the three most improbable activities that you might ever consider doing, and then pick one and get involved in doing it............Skydiving? Small airplane flying? Bungee cord jumping? Glacier skiing? driving trucks in a demolition derby? The more outrageous some of these activities are, the more likely they are to help you redefine a new way to live - even if you only skydive once.........(hopefully successfully) .

Get someone to talk with, pastoral counselor, therapist, relative, whatever - someone who can listen reflectively, provide some level of coaching and be "in your court". Posting on this webpage, which I sometimes think of as a replacement for the corner pub, is not a bad place to start..........just don't let it stop here. Talking with a therapist about the grief of loss is not such a bad thing to do, nor is pursuing professional help a sign of failure or weakness, it is actually a sign of strength. A couple of guys have posted on the subject of antidepressants; you might consider that route. I've successfully used antidepressants once in my life - was materially helpful as a crutch for about two years.

Get moving every day, depresssing as it may seem. If you can tie that to a careful regimen of diet and exercise, it will help fight the natural tendency to isolate and self-depress. Work out a a gym, one that you're comfortable at, and become a "regular".

Recognize that obsessing about her, her relationship with her parents, her former relationship with her, is not all that useful now. Over time, as you have a chance to develop some perspective about your relationsihp with her, some "lessons learned" may emerge that you can objectively look at and absorb - that therapist or best bud may be able, three - six - twelve months from now speak to those issues with you. Right now, it is too easy to get into who was right, who was wrong - and ultimately, that doesn't matter much. What is important is that a chapter of your life has ended, and you need to write the first paragraph of the next one. And - it appears to be one without your former wife.

Self-pity and moroseness are well-deserved for about two or three weeks, after that, you're coasting..................

Find creative ways to deal with the holidays, which can be brutal if you are still in the throes of being single. Maybe find a way to completely break your old habits - volunteer to do something on Christmas Day, rather than stay at home.

The ancient Chinese symbol for "crisis" and "opportunity" is, I believe, one and the same. I've always taken great heart in that when something in my life blew up in my face............. Good luck and keep posting...........

Great words, thank you! I am really in a hole right now and need to get out. The worst thing is being stuck here in Tennessee! Seeing your little profile, you can probably understand missing my former home state! I lived in Bucks County for 20 years before moving to this disaster of a state.

Anyway, I am thinking about moving, just not sure where. Right now, I have two job leads. One in Rogers, Arkansas and the other in North Dakota. Time will tell.

Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:57 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EmuMessenger
Great words, thank you! I am really in a hole right now and need to get out. The worst thing is being stuck here in Tennessee! Seeing your little profile, you can probably understand missing my former home state! I lived in Bucks County for 20 years before moving to this disaster of a state.

Anyway, I am thinking about moving, just not sure where. Right now, I have two job leads. One in Rogers, Arkansas and the other in North Dakota. Time will tell.

Thanks again.
Bucks County is stunning country - Both of those locations, odd as it may seem, may be a lot more relaxed an open, easier to reestablish a sense of self - smaller community, less anonymity, fewer barriers. I will warn ya, that North Dakota gets colder than you can possibly imagine in the winter - good luck, man, and keep movn' forward.......
Old 12-26-2004, 10:33 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Saintor
Don't get married without a CONTRACT detailing what will happen if you separate.

Spidey, your approach is provocative and not much strategic when there is a possibility of counciliation.

A coworker is in process of divorce. He got 50% shared custody, no child support and keep all his retirement funds, despite he has 4x the amount of hers, and 70% more income. He also got the house for under market value.

** No sure that any lawyer would ever get that much. **

EmuMessenger, be happy that no children are implied. Anyway, 60% of women are just crazy.
Very good point for the person getting married on this thread. The time to formulate and sign a prenup is BEFORE you get married, when all there is is love between you. Waiting until the relationship is faltering is too late.

EMU - I'm just coming to this thread, but here's a good link for those divorcing:

http://www.equalityinmarriage.org/wd.html

Those married, and those getting married can also benefit from the site:

http://www.equalityinmarriage.org/

Now, lemme finish catching up on the thread.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Emu, it's been sometime, how do you feel now?

are you healing?
Old 12-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Advanced

Emu, how are you doing these days? (My divorce became final three years ago on New Years Eve . . . )
Old 12-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey guys, thanks for the inquiry. Doing well, thank you. Things are moving along. Just wondering where life is going to take me. I do not believe I will be staying in Memphis, although, the housing market may dictate my departure.

Anyone want to buy a house?

Old 12-29-2004, 05:36 PM

holy sheez thats huge...how much is it..

did you see my post about the bay area SF home for sale?
Old 12-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

It is a good size house, about 3200SF, with a pool in the yard.

Remember, I am in the armpit of the US, Tennessee! Make a good offer!
Old 12-29-2004, 07:23 PM

2,500,000 in bay area
Old 12-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
holy crap that is a nice house
Old 12-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cTLgo
holy crap that is a nice house
Thanks, it will probably be gone soon.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:58 AM
--Josie--

OMG! That is a nice house. Geez.....BIG BALLER!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Shot caller..... Anyway, thank you. I am trying to decide whether or not to keep the house. If all goes well, I will end up leaving TN, but who knows.

In reality, it is too much house for one person, IMO.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Shot caller..... Anyway, thank you. I am trying to decide whether or not to keep the house. If all goes well, I will end up leaving TN, but who knows.

In reality, it is too much house for one person, IMO.
not only that, but it might make moving on that much harder. You've got a new life to start and it would be hard in "our house"

Hope you have an attorney already lined up.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Yep, I have already been fleeced by an attorney. Nothing like like dropping thousands for nothing.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:45 PM
--Josie--

Emu: Wishing you the best..and hope all works out for you.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:47 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep, I have already been fleeced by an attorney. Nothing like like dropping thousands for nothing.
I know that feeling: First hers, then mine. But all that money was WELL WORTH IT! Never been happier!
Old 12-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AnKiiGrL
Emu: Wishing you the best..and hope all works out for you.
Thank you.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by r10apple
I know that feeling: First hers, then mine. But all that money was WELL WORTH IT! Never been happier!
every dollar I spend makes me feel better! Meaning, every dollar is one step closer to freedom!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Awesome to the Max

dude, after reading four pages ...it might seem like i'm taking crazy pills or something...but it seems odd that the guys that got cheated on don't kick the crap out of your wives/ex-wives and their new lovers...maybe it's me or maybe it's because I'm young and not married yet...but if my future wife cheated on me...i'd beat her ass for doing that to me. I would probably tell her prior to us getting married that I would do that....and if I cheated her ..she can castrate me or something.....I think it is justifiable..after all, you can always have sex with the person you would want to cheat with after getting the divorce....but maybe that's just me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a wife beater and would never lay a finger on my wife if/when I have one, but I think cheating while married is a whole different story...

btw...i'm sorry for all of you guys that had to go through divorces....

divorces do suck...
Old 01-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by terse
dude, after reading four pages ...it might seem like i'm taking crazy pills or something...but it seems odd that the guys that got cheated on don't kick the crap out of your wives/ex-wives and their new lovers...maybe it's me or maybe it's because I'm young and not married yet...but if my future wife cheated on me...i'd beat her ass for doing that to me. I would probably tell her prior to us getting married that I would do that....and if I cheated her ..she can castrate me or something.....I think it is justifiable..after all, you can always have sex with the person you would want to cheat with after getting the divorce....but maybe that's just me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a wife beater and would never lay a finger on my wife if/when I have one, but I think cheating while married is a whole different story...

divorces do suck...
for a point of reference for me it took every ounce of strength not to beat the crap out of the both of them - the anger/rage you feel is unbelievable. everything I had. But I didn't, and never would stoop so low.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by spidey07
for a point of reference for me it took every ounce of strength not to beat the crap out of the both of them - the anger/rage you feel is unbelievable. everything I had. But I didn't, and never would stoop so low.

i guess that's a cool answer...i was just concerned cause everyone was writing like they just let it go..
Old 01-04-2005, 11:17 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by terse

divorces do suck...
While I agree 100% with the FEELING of your post, just think about the two of 'em screwing while YOU'RE in the pokey on assault charges. Don't you think they'd be just WAITING for you to lay a hand on 'em? That stuff onlt happens in the movies. In real life, people press charges!
Old 01-04-2005, 11:18 PM
I love cars!

About the best thing to do is make sure you're legally covered, and get away from them as soon as possible. You're only screwing yourself if you try to "straighten" them out with a beating.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by fast-tl
About the best thing to do is make sure you're legally covered, and get away from them as soon as possible. You're only screwing yourself if you try to "straighten" them out with a beating.

yeah...i guess..or you can pull an OJ Simpson...and no jail time...
Old 01-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Suzuka Master

It is probably natural to have the OJ thoughts. As for me, I think spending one second in the clink would be too much.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
wow, great thread.

I don't visit this forum much, but i'm glad I checked in here today.

Glad to hear your keepin on Emu, you're never alone, we are always here for you!

I must agree with the sentiments offered to sell the home, and move on. I can't imagine being stuck in the same place I last lived with my Ex...

Old 01-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn those were some ugly stories.

I am going home to hug my wife after work.

Good Luck all of you
Old 01-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Astroboy
wow, great thread.

I don't visit this forum much, but i'm glad I checked in here today.

Glad to hear your keepin on Emu, you're never alone, we are always here for you!

I must agree with the sentiments offered to sell the home, and move on. I can't imagine being stuck in the same place I last lived with my Ex...

Thanks, it's amazing this thread has been open for so long without seeing the :padlock:

Thanks for the offer of support, as I mentioned on page one, it was weird for me to post this here.

I will probably choose to sell the house, but I cannot stand the thought of packing and moving my crap to another state, AGAIN!

Time will tell.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:58 PM
In need of an AV.........

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Come on EMU, move to Nashville. Then you will bein the same state and have to TLer's in Nashville. LOL
Old 01-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Drifting

sorry to hear about all of the things you guys had/have to go through. hopefully, all of this will be for the best. but i've never been married, so i'd be lying if i said i know what it's like. all i can say is that it's good to have people support you or pick you up when your down, even if they may be on a forum. i go through a lot of rough stretches and i'm usually alone when i do. i manage to get by keeping myself busy. anyway, hopefully all the advice given here helps. good luck with moving on and also finding a new home.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Pro

Sorry to hear about this. I hope things get better for you!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I love cars!

Hello all,

After three years of job hunting, lay-offs and relocation, my wife and I are getting divorced. We have been separated for more than six months. The final decision was made last night.

I was upset last night, but am totally devastated (sp?) today.

For those of you, male or female, that have been through this, what should I expect, when, if ever, does the hurt subside?

This will be the first time EVER in my family tree someone will be divorced.

She wants to sell the house and I am fine buying her out, but at the same time, I am not sure if I would want to live there anymore.

Any thoughts, comments, etc. would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for kind commentary.

PS - Obviously, I must have some issues if I am pouring my heart out to a bunch of guys on a car board.
I thought I did a search, but I'll post this site again in case anyone else needs it.

http://www.equalityinmarriage.org/wd.html

My brother's wife just started the filing process yesterday, but he deserved it.... The site abive deals sort of step-by-step with the process.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Pro

Wow, RH, thanks a lot.

We talked about an uncontested divorce. What did you mean by a six month waiting period.

We also do not have any kids, just the house a dog and some furniture. I am not sure if it will be feasible to buy her out of the house with an unstable income, but it is just one of the options I am considering. If I cannot buy her out, I may just move altogether to put this behind me. Time will tell.

Thanks again for the candid comments.
you don't have to have an attorney if you mutually agree on everything.. I wrote my own divorce (with child) and it worked out fine. Not every state has the 6 month rule. In the state of Tx, you have to wait 62 days after filing the original petition for divorce before you can set a court date. I also didn't keep our house, he lives there with his current wife...was way painful...dark helped me through alot of it...My best advice is to surround yourself with lots of loving friends and family, but also to give yourself some alone time. AND PLEASE..don't rush into another relationship..most experts agree that you should wait 1 year for every two years that you were married before having a serious relationship again. I hope time is kind to you.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

the one year for every two is crap, there are no experts, everyone is different and every situation is different. Once the woman checks out of the relationship, its rarely worth it to try and salvage it. You are only digging yourself deeper, making the break worse, and giving her time to plan her exit strategy. And its stupid for trying to stay just because of the kids, they are not stupid and they know when something is wrong. Its better to create two loving environments for them, rather than having one crappy one.

All that said, I am now planning my 2nd wedding, this time with a truly wonderful woman
Old 01-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Banned

Maybe this will make ya feel better.......

http://www.pjtech.com/divorceletter.htm
Old 01-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fast_daddy_car
the one year for every two is crap, there are no experts, everyone is different and every situation is different. Once the woman checks out of the relationship, its rarely worth it to try and salvage it. You are only digging yourself deeper, making the break worse, and giving her time to plan her exit strategy. And its stupid for trying to stay just because of the kids, they are not stupid and they know when something is wrong. Its better to create two loving environments for them, rather than having one crappy one.

All that said, I am now planning my 2nd wedding, this time with a truly wonderful woman
there are experts...and I didn't say to follow the rule...just stated it and asked him not to rush into another marriage...btw, congrats on the second wife! hope it never ends...many blessings to ya!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Holy $hit, emu, I just stumbled onto this thread, I had NO idea you were going through this crap. I've read every post and damn, I don't know what to say. I hope and pray you're doing OK. I wish I could've been there for ya at Thanksgiving when this blew up.

I've never been in this situation (married 10 years), but it seems that moving back near your own family would do a lot to help your emotional situation. That's what I'd do....the only reason I live in the rathole of a city I do is because of my wife. Being around people who give more than half a rat's a$$ about you has to be helpful. Enough with the unsolicited advice....all I can do is to say that I (and everyone else who's posted) is with you...

Quick Reply: Getting Divorced :(