Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Did you Marry your Mother?

Old 11-11-2005, 02:26 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you Marry your Mother?

I heard something in a song today that basically said "Every man wants to marry their mother." Well since there is a post about if your mother approves I was wondering did you marry someone like your mother or could you see yourself marrying someone like your mother? I met my girls family and after I left she said everyone was telling her I act like her father and kinda look like him too which freaked her out LOL.

Me, it may sound creepy but yea my mom is cool as shit and cooks everyday...every freaking day! Plus she cleans up all the time and never cares if me or my step dad doesnt chip in as long as we take care of the hard stuff like painting and tiling...then again she chips in when we do that too.

Anywho are you dating your mom? This goes for girls too...with your fathers.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:36 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
oedipus complex?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:44 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Not even close...they are TOTALLY different.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:46 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by 1killercls
Not even close...they are TOTALLY different.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:46 AM
50? you must be kidding!

My Mother was an alcoholic that suffered from depression. No I don't think so...
Old 11-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Horny.

Originally Posted by JesusJuice
I heard something in a song today that basically said "Every man wants to marry their mother." Well since there is a post about if your mother approves I was wondering did you marry someone like your mother or could you see yourself marrying someone like your mother? I met my girls family and after I left she said everyone was telling her I act like her father and kinda look like him too which freaked her out LOL.

Me, it may sound creepy but yea my mom is cool as shit and cooks everyday...every freaking day! Plus she cleans up all the time and never cares if me or my step dad doesnt chip in as long as we take care of the hard stuff like painting and tiling...then again she chips in when we do that too.

Anywho are you dating your mom? This goes for girls too...with your fathers.
Sigmund Freud said that, "in the Subconscious level, every man wants to marry his mother."
Old 11-11-2005, 07:07 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by TXXXX
Sigmund Freud said that, "in the Subconscious level, every man wants to marry his mother."
Yeah I know, that song just reminded me of it
Old 11-11-2005, 07:32 AM
ric
Safety Car

Well, to some extent, Freud's Oedipus and Ophelia complexes are borne out of the reality that the first woman that a boy gets to know on any close level is his mom. Same thing for young girls, whose first experience with men is with their dad. There is, developmentally, a period in which young children began to focus their emerging sexual feelings on those they know the most closely. (THe greatness of Shakespeare's plays is that he frequently put his finger on the pulse of archtypal emotional struggles and conflicts that transcend time and technology. The concepts embedded in Oedipus are an essential theme in Freud's work because the essential "drive" is there.) In conventional loving childhoods, effective parenting shifts that focus to peer-appropriate candidates, which is called "dating" - mom treats her pre-adolescent son's "crush" on her gently, and supports his naescent manhood as he starts dating. Presumably, dad, in collegial gender-bonding, supports his son as well........ However, we all know guys who are "Mamma's boys" who never quite break loose of the loving closeness of the parental bond held too, too tightly, and there are probably an equal number of "Daddy's girls" for whom no man will ever live up to Pops. What has happened in those settings is that the parent becomes reluctant to break the contertransference of feelings, and the relationship becomes laden with a quality that will exclude peer-peer relationships of any meaning.

All that said, many men will find a woman whose attributes parallel Mom - it's familiar, comfortable and the coping and interpretation mechanisms are well in place.

As for me, my mother was a frozen emotionally distant, harshly judgemental raging alchoholic with poor sexual boundaries and a streak of competitiveness, hidden behind the genteel veneer of a Southern Belle crossed with the ambitious assertiveness of a lady doctor (in the 1930's) In truth, she had no business being a mother.............. My wife, although she shares the capacity for ambition that my mother had in terms of career and has a similar intellectual brilliance, is different in every other way. Warm, loving, accepting, gentle............ The very thought of marrying a woman parallel to my mother sends shivers up my spine....
Old 11-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
No, I married someone totally opposite and it ended in a divorce.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
but she can't cook nearly as well
Old 11-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
no. oh hell no. no.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:08 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Similiar, but yet still pretty different. Scary shit is, they are closer then I am w/ my mom
Old 11-11-2005, 12:19 PM
East Coast Boost.!

my first gf was exactly like my mother, i wonder if that's why my mom hated her. They are both fucking annoying and immature.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CLpower
Similiar, but yet still pretty different. Scary shit is, they are closer then I am w/ my mom
They? Who's this other bitch you married?

Scott's freakishly similar to my father, a fact I didn't notice until I moved back in with my parents as an adult and got to know the non-parental side of my dad. When he's not parenting me, he's a lot like Scott. Except Scott parents me a lot more than my dad ever did.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Lots of spankings for you?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Racer

Completly the opposite
Old 11-11-2005, 03:54 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Originally Posted by ric
Well, to some extent, Freud's Oedipus and Ophelia complexes are borne out of the reality that the first woman that a boy gets to know on any close level is his mom. Same thing for young girls, whose first experience with men is with their dad. There is, developmentally, a period in which young children began to focus their emerging sexual feelings on those they know the most closely. (THe greatness of Shakespeare's plays is that he frequently put his finger on the pulse of archtypal emotional struggles and conflicts that transcend time and technology. The concepts embedded in Oedipus are an essential theme in Freud's work because the essential "drive" is there.) In conventional loving childhoods, effective parenting shifts that focus to peer-appropriate candidates, which is called "dating" - mom treats her pre-adolescent son's "crush" on her gently, and supports his naescent manhood as he starts dating. Presumably, dad, in collegial gender-bonding, supports his son as well........ However, we all know guys who are "Mamma's boys" who never quite break loose of the loving closeness of the parental bond held too, too tightly, and there are probably an equal number of "Daddy's girls" for whom no man will ever live up to Pops. What has happened in those settings is that the parent becomes reluctant to break the contertransference of feelings, and the relationship becomes laden with a quality that will exclude peer-peer relationships of any meaning.

All that said, many men will find a woman whose attributes parallel Mom - it's familiar, comfortable and the coping and interpretation mechanisms are well in place.

As for me, my mother was a frozen emotionally distant, harshly judgemental raging alchoholic with poor sexual boundaries and a streak of competitiveness, hidden behind the genteel veneer of a Southern Belle crossed with the ambitious assertiveness of a lady doctor (in the 1930's) In truth, she had no business being a mother.............. My wife, although she shares the capacity for ambition that my mother had in terms of career and has a similar intellectual brilliance, is different in every other way. Warm, loving, accepting, gentle............ The very thought of marrying a woman parallel to my mother sends shivers up my spine....

man that just served me a reminder that i have a midterm next friday for my psychology class
Old 11-11-2005, 04:43 PM
"L-I-V-I-N"

HAHA my father is your age and his opinion of his mother is along those lines. He pretty much hates her. I wonder if that is a generational thing?

As for me, shit, I would be so lucky to find a woman who would spoil me as much as my mother. She cooked every day, and well I might add. Not only that but she cooked my brothers and I breakfast every morning. And not some crappy breakfast either, we are talking bacon and eggs and pancakes, French toast, or biscuits. EVERY DAY up to the day I graduated. When I go home she STILL makes me breakfast. She has annoying traits like every other woman but she never tried to control me to even half the extent other people's mothers did. I had free reign to do as I liked and live pretty wild. Given that, as she isn't that strict I was able to have my cake and eat it too; in fact its amazing how much she spoiled me, maybe that's why I drive off girlfriends like flies.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Horny.

Originally Posted by NewAgePirate
HAHA my father is your age and his opinion of his mother is along those lines. He pretty much hates her. I wonder if that is a generational thing?

As for me, shit, I would be so lucky to find a woman who would spoil me as much as my mother. She cooked every day, and well I might add. Not only that but she cooked my brothers and I breakfast every morning. And not some crappy breakfast either, we are talking bacon and eggs and pancakes, French toast, or biscuits. EVERY DAY up to the day I graduated. When I go home she STILL makes me breakfast. She has annoying traits like every other woman but she never tried to control me to even half the extent other people's mothers did. I had free reign to do as I liked and live pretty wild. Given that, as she isn't that strict I was able to have my cake and eat it too; in fact its amazing how much she spoiled me, maybe that's why I drive off girlfriends like flies.
She is trying to load you up w/cholesterol. Does she have a big life insurance on you?
Old 11-13-2005, 11:24 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
Same with me. Me and my mom are completely different people personality wise and I usually end up being closer to a gf after a while
Old 11-14-2005, 05:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
i could never imagine dating anyone like my mother!
I grew up in somewhat of the same enviroment as ric, my mother would go crazy on me, i could never allow myself to be with someone like that