Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Becoming more than just frined

Old 07-16-2012, 10:21 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
a friend would always tell me: "a woman is always waiting to be kissed"

Go for it!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Don't listen to the crabs Justn. They aren't really your frineds.
The following users liked this post:
97BlackAckCL (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
So did the OP become more than frineds yet?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Catfisha
I'm a girl, and I think Rapture's idea is a good one.
what a coincidence I'm also a girl. I can't prove it but it doesn't matter. Trade pics? s2r.

Originally Posted by Majofo
I tried it.. she was pretty shocked. I actually had to grab her hand to make the high-5 happen. I'm hoping she takes the next step. I might send her a text of my penis bulge in a few days if she doesn't get back to me. I'll say something like.. Do these jeans look okay? So the sexual nature will be ambiguous.
Not sure if zooming in on you pitching a tent is really "ambiguous". Maybe if you sent her the pic, followed with a text saying "I accidentally took 2, and it says if it lasts over 4 hours to call a doctor. Know anyone?"
Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry about the late reply, work has me traveling a lot during the summer. And last week I was working on my TL (will be posting pics in the 4G section soon). I'll answer some of the posts and at the bottom I'll tell ya'll what I ended up doing.

Originally Posted by Rapture
Meh, if I was in this situation (never been, so maybe I should stfu) I personally would just start kind of warming up to her, see how she reacts and just gauge it as I go. I saw an episode of that lol-tastic show on MTV "Friend Zone" and they get rejected like half the time. IMO one reason for that is because they really spring it all on them at once. Best idea is to up the kind of "not just a friend" behavior. Like maybe "accidentally" brush up against her titties or something like that. Make her go home thinking "I'm wondering if he likes me more than I thought" so that way she has an opportunity to kind of sit on it for a bit and consider it. Give her some time and space to think about it. But definitely be ambiguous about it. So that way if she doesn't react favorably, it'll be easier for you to retain a friendship.

IMO springing it all on her at once will only result in an impulse reaction, which is what you don't really want.
I saw Friend Zone recently too, all of those kids got rejected (I laughed until I realized I was in a similar plight). I can see how that would work, but I felt like I should get it all out there now just to see.

Originally Posted by justnspace
So, did the OP "up his sexual game" yet?
It's pretty hard since I have very little of that I'm working on it I guess, just doesn't come naturally to me like it does for you all I guess

Originally Posted by Arosemore07
I'd have to agree about the phone-ship. I wouldn't continue a friendship over the phone unless i enjoyed speaking with you. I wouldnt tell her over the phone how you feel either... that may be a little too much being you dont know where she stands. I would def ask her to hangout! and also maybe even flirt a little, but dont come off as a creep lol then you may send the wrong vibes and be in another zone you dont want to be in haha
Yeah, I was kind of hoping there was something, b/c why else would she be willing to talk to me so often? Nah, I don't think I send of the creeper vibe. Flirting is hard for me, but I do try when we talk (who knows how it ends up sounding though).

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
So did the OP become more than friends yet?
With this post, I'll go ahead and just tell the story now. So I ended up calling her last weekend. We had our normal conversation and then I just kinda manned up and told her that I liked her as more then just a friend. So she kinda jokes about how I should have told her to sit down, but then she goes on and says at one point a few years back she did like me a lot. But now the way we are, I was in the friend zone (yes, she said friend zone). But it didn't get weird, we just moved on to another conversation topic. But right near the end, she brings up the fact that when I do find a girlfriend, she's gonna be really lucky. So I don't know why she mentioned that, unless it was to concrete the fact that we wouldn't end up together? I was pretty disappointed, but not emo or anything.
Now I called her this weekend and we had a normal conversation, mainly about summer movies, no reference to the week before. So I think things are normal?
My question now is, what do I do next? I still like her, but do you all think I don't have a chance anymore? Or should I just try to push forward with her slowly (flirting, etc). Maybe move on, and re-visit her later, I dunno
I know you guys don't know me that well, or my friend for that matter. But I do appreciate the input...thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM

told you that would happen.

Now that you've mentioned it; it will always be on her mind.
this is a good thing.

now, when ever you two are together, you need to step up your sexual tension game.
touching her ever so slightly. etc
Old 07-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Welcome to the friends zone, you are there to stay
The following 2 users liked this post by 97BlackAckCL:
Aman (07-26-2012), Majofo (07-25-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Giant Blue Car

Received 161 Likes on 125 Posts
That's gotta be really disappointing. I'm sorry!

I wouldn't attempt to say or try anything further; if you do, she'll most likely start pulling back to the point where she won't talk to you.

I know it sucks, but just keep everything how it is now...in the Friends Zone.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM

if OP is confident enough, he can save it and sleep with her; if thats his intentions.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
told you that would happen.
Now that you've mentioned it; it will always be on her mind.
this is a good thing.
now, when ever you two are together, you need to step up your sexual tension game.
touching her ever so slightly. etc
OK, I get what you mean. But what exactly am I supposed to do to up the game? I'm trying to think of something that would at least be semi-appropriate, just hard tho...

haha at least its familiar!

That's gotta be really disappointing. I'm sorry!
I wouldn't attempt to say or try anything further; if you do, she'll most likely start pulling back to the point where she won't talk to you.
I know it sucks, but just keep everything how it is now...in the Friends Zone.
Thanks man! Yeah, it was a real hard punch to the gut. But I'm not gonna let it hurt me.
No, I'll probably never try it again. I guess my current course of action is stay as-is and just try to make it more. We'll see.

if OP is confident enough, he can save it and sleep with her; if that's his intentions.
Save it and sleep with her? Yeah, doubt that's gonna happen lol You know, for the longest time, I didn't even notice her (sexually). But when it hit me that I liked her, I was like "holy crap, she's gorgeous!"
Old 07-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

If she's in Pittsburgh, give me her number, I'll have a talk with her
Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by timecop
...But right near the end, she brings up the fact that when I do find a girlfriend, she's gonna be really lucky. So I don't know why she mentioned that, unless it was to concrete the fact that we wouldn't end up together?
Sorry, but she said it to ease her guilt about not responding to your offer the way you hoped. It's a polite thing to say in case you are feeling rejected. A variation of the, "it's not you it's me" theme.

I was pretty disappointed, but not emo or anything.
Now I called her this weekend and we had a normal conversation, mainly about summer movies, no reference to the week before. So I think things are normal?
My question now is, what do I do next? I still like her, but do you all think I don't have a chance anymore? Or should I just try to push forward with her slowly (flirting, etc). Maybe move on, and re-visit her later, I dunno
I know you guys don't know me that well, or my friend for that matter. But I do appreciate the input...thanks!
Keep her as a friend if you want, but completely and totally write off ever being with her. Don't flirt, don't be suggestive, just be friends. That's the best thing for both of you. In this situation, nothing you do will change thing - you will only make it worse. Guys who passively pursue women who have made it clear they are in the friend zone just come off as needy and a bit pathetic. My wife had a couple friends like that and she wound up cutting ties with both because she couldn't stand the constant undertone of, "how about now? will you take me now?"

You'll like someone else soon enough, and she'll like you, and all will be well. But don't waste a minite of your time or energy on this on, short of what you do as friends.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
Aman (07-26-2012), justnspace (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 02:37 PM

I'm stealing this from the girlfriend gone thread. Do this. Thanks justnspace!

^you should have just quoted the movie swingers. it would have gotten your point across better.

Mike: Okay, so what if I don't want to give up on her?
Rob: You don't call.
Mike: But you said I don't call if I wanted to give up on her.
Rob: Right.
Mike: So I don't call either way?
Mike: So what's the difference?
Rob: There is no difference right now. See, Mike, the only difference between giving up and not giving up is if you take her back when she wants to come back. But you can't do anything to make her want to come back. In fact, you can only do stuff to make her not want to come back.
Mike: So the only difference is if I forget about her or just pretend to forget about her?
Mike: Well that sucks.
Rob: Yeah, it sucks.
Mike: So it's just like a retroactive decision, then? I mean I could, like, forget about her and then when she comes back make like I just pretended to forget about her?
Rob: Right. Although probably more likely the opposite.
Mike: What do you mean?
Rob: I mean at first you're going to pretend to forget about her, you'll not call her, I don't know, whatever... but then eventually, you really will forget about her.
Mike: Well what if she comes back first?
Rob: Mmmm... see, that's the thing, is somehow they know not to come back until you really forget.
Mike: There's the rub.
Rob: There's the rub.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
Catfisha (07-24-2012), justnspace (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Giant Blue Car

Awesome!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM

^that movie is so money.
if you havent watched it, watch it.

"Swingers" with Vince Vaughn and John Favreau
Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Sorry dude, but it's happened to everyone, so don't get hung up on it. You should be proud of yourself for asking. A lot of guys would never build up the courage.

I don't know if you're a baseball fan, but when a closer blows a save, they always say you have to have a short memory or else you'll never succeed, and that applies here as well. Maybe a bad analogy, but whatever

It's pretty hard since I have very little of that I'm working on it I guess, just doesn't come naturally to me like it does for you all I guess

While some of it may be natural, the majority of it is practice. Simple as that. Do you have any friends that are good at this? Hang around with them more and learn from it. My brother is 4 years older than me, so growing up hanging out with him and his friends, I was constantly getting advice, specifically "if I knew then what I know now" advice, which was very helpful.

Yeah, I was kind of hoping there was something, b/c why else would she be willing to talk to me so often?

You're a good friend Look on the bright side, girls are always trying to hook up their female friends with good guys. It's not a bad thing at all. Just don't blow it now by being a creeper after she rejected you.

But right near the end, she brings up the fact that when I do find a girlfriend, she's gonna be really lucky. So I don't know why she mentioned that, unless it was to concrete the fact that we wouldn't end up together?

Addressed above by Louder.

Also addresses very well by Louder. I wouldn't bother trying. There's a slight chance something could happen in a few years, but doubtful, so don't try unless she starts giving you hints. Long story short, you simply missed your chance.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

With this post, I'll go ahead and just tell the story now. So I ended up calling her last weekend. We had our normal conversation and then I just kinda manned up and told her that I liked her as more then just a friend. So she kinda jokes about how I should have told her to sit down, but then she goes on and says at one point a few years back she did like me a lot. But now the way we are, I was in the friend zone (yes, she said friend zone). But it didn't get weird, we just moved on to another conversation topic. But right near the end, she brings up the fact that when I do find a girlfriend, she's gonna be really lucky. So I don't know why she mentioned that, unless it was to concrete the fact that we wouldn't end up together? I was pretty disappointed, but not emo or anything.

... if she didnt like what you said to her a week earlier she definitely would have ignored your phonecall, or at least kind of backed off a little. Being that she made nothing of it... To me it sounds like she likes that you have some sort of feeling towards her and your boosting her ego but she doesnt want you to get the feeling she's just as into you so she built that friend zone wall. It's like she's sending you mixed signals...
97BlackAckCL (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 07:43 AM

^exactly why I think OP can sleep with her.
BUTT, like 1louder said...if looking for a relationship, DONT WASTE YOUR TIME, timecop.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

... if she didnt like what you said to her a week earlier she definitely would have ignored your phonecall, or at least kind of backed off a little. Being that she made nothing of it... To me it sounds like she likes that you have some sort of feeling towards her and your boosting her ego but she doesnt want you to get the feeling she's just as into you so she built that friend zone wall. It's like she's sending you mixed signals...
Mixed signals from a woman? NEVER...
Old 07-25-2012, 09:16 AM

I think your spot-on with the notion that she may like the idea of him wanting her, she just doesn't want him back. The one-way street is good for her ego. I had more than a few women do this to me back in the day. The wisest thing the OP can do is recognize it, don't fall for it, and invest time and energy in other women. I don't know if I'd even keep her as a close friend, if I thought that was going on.
justnspace (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
I said it before earlier in this thread - you're already in the friend zone, behind a one way door. you have zero chance of being with her, short of you getting a few rounds of hard liquor in her.

at this point, all you're doing is stroking her ego and digging a deeper hole than what you started in. take everyone's advice, forget this chick and find a new one. life's too short to spend trying to get with someone who doesnt even remotely want to be with you.

Id advise against trying to be a friend because she knows you have the hots for her and she will always use that on you. She'll get you to do favors and stuff. you say she won't take advantage of you now, but trust me, its best you move on.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

if OP is confident enough, he can save it and sleep with her; if thats his intentions.

OP, plan a slumber party.. because that's what besties do... play dress-up, do outfits of the day/night/week.. talk about what make-up routine you do. Make sure you talk about tinted moisturizers and ask what SPF is hers, and discuss that article you read in Lucky about UV skin damage.

Then.. when you guys go to sleep, say "let's cuddle!" But don't be creepy about it.. say it with a smile and enthusiasm. Then when you're cuddling.. you'll get wood. If not, you're gay, the plan ends here.

When you get wood, assuming not gay, say.. "oops.. I guess I'm really comfortable"... wait a couple minutes and grind your hips a bit so the wood rubs her kitty.. then ask / whisper.. "Can I put the head in?" if she says idk.. insist it will just be the head.

Make sure to pull out and BLT. You're welcome.

Last edited by Majofo; 07-25-2012 at 10:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Majofo:
iSeeYouTwo (07-27-2012), TLDude876 (08-05-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
... It's like she's sending you mixed signals...

Op if she is doing that like everyone said dont waste your time on someone who wont invest their time into you.

People who send mix signals are: indecisive about their feelings, juggling, or playing mind games.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Majofo
Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Giant Blue Car

OP, plan a slumber party.. because that's what besties do... play dress-up, do outfits of the day/night/week.. talk about what make-up routine you do. Make sure you talk about tinted moisturizers and ask what SPF is hers, and discuss that article you read in Lucky about UV skin damage.

Then.. when you guys go to sleep, say "let's cuddle!" But don't be creepy about it.. say it with a smile and enthusiasm. Then when you're cuddling.. you'll get wood. If not, you're gay, the plan ends here.

When you get wood, assuming not gay, say.. "oops.. I guess I'm really comfortable"... wait a couple minutes and grind your hips a bit so the wood rubs her kitty.. then ask / whisper.. "Can I put the head in?" if she says idk.. insist it will just be the head.

OMG!!!

You should write adult novels!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

"Just the Tip" Written by Joe Majofo
Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 PM

Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Giant Blue Car

What made that short story so true to life was the "cuddling" part. That's, I think, a typical guy move!

The attention to subject matter in regards to the "slumber party" was excellently written!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Majofo, you are giving the male members a rise. Stop it. This thread scares me.

And the OP, we feel for ya

Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM

What made that short story so true to life was the "cuddling" part. That's, I think, a typical guy move!

The attention to subject matter in regards to the "slumber party" was excellently written!

Well maybe that's the only move we have!!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Giant Blue Car

Awww....
Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 PM

I know women.

no.. Majofo is not Mel Gibson.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Men too..

Not like McFly.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:51 PM

Awww....
How you doin'

Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Giant Blue Car

HA!! I'm fine....
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Scottman111
Well maybe that's the only move we have!!
When they're gay
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts

So um, this may sound crazy, but that turned me on, can I call you, maybe?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Giant Blue Car

Go buy 50 Shades of Grey; even though it's from a female perspective, I think a guy would like it too.
97BlackAckCL (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by leedogg
So um, this may sound crazy, but that turned me on, can I call you, maybe?
Sure..

Go buy 50 Shades of Grey; even though it's from a female perspective, I think a guy would like it too.
It's like 50 Shades of Gay, but less anal.
leedogg (07-28-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
OP step your game up next time you and her hang out.

When you are out in any public setting, if you're reeking with confidence than other girls around you will start checking you out while you're around her. Trust me, she will notice the other girls checking you out. This will make her want you more.

Wear your favorite shirt, get a hair cut, etc. Do whatever that will make you feel confident and feel good about yourself.

now, when ever you two are together, you need to step up your sexual tension game. touching her ever so slightly. etc
^This!

Quick Reply: Becoming more than just frined