Need a new grill (somewhat of a noob)

Old 09-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a new grill (somewhat of a noob)

My current grill is pretty old, and I'm looking to get a new grill..

Current grill - gas with lava rocks

Apparantly they dont make gas grills that take lava rocks anymore.
How exactly do new gas grills flavor the food? And are they actually better than the old lava-rock grills? For that matter, why did lava rocks go out of style?

Next question: charcoal grills. Coals catch fire, and they keep burning right? Does this mean you can only use coals once, then you throw them out? Are can you reuse them all summer long? Likewise, if one were to use woodchips, are the chips a one & done thing?

Third question, what do you personally prefer/why?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,161 Posts
What replaced rocks are sear plates. They basically sit over the flame. When the drippings drop down they hit the plate and create smoke/flavor.

Use charcoal once then throw away.

I like gas because I'm lazy. Its easier to get going than charcoal.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:24 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have no idea what Lava Rocks are, sorry.

As for charcoals, once you burn them, they're spent and can no longer be used again. They usually will burn for 2 hours so you'll have more than enough time for a good BBQ. To light charcoals, you dump some lighter fluid on them and light it, wait for about 15 minutes then they will be damn hot. You can't control the temperature (Gas +1) but the flavor will be better (Charcoal +1).

I wouldn't use woodchips for continuous cooking because they are usually more expensive and are better suited to flavoring. There should be either a container made for charcoal grills to put woodchips in or built in containers on gas grills that you can slide out. I like hickory.

I prefer charcoal simply because it tastes better. I don't care about convience. It takes me about 2 minutes to light it and I just walk away for 15 minutes while I prep what I'm about to cook. Charcoal is usually cheaper as well both grill and briquets (Charcoal +1).

2 vs 1. Charcoal wins.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by doopstr
What replaced rocks are sear plates. They basically sit over the flame. When the drippings drop down they hit the plate and create smoke/flavor.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I always thought those plates were to keep the flames going so fat drippings won't accidentally extinguish them.

Flavor is still a bit lacking but it somewhat, though not completely, makes up for it in the convience department
Old 09-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think the plates are supposed to give more even heat. We bought a cheap gas grill a few years ago, and it didn't dissipate heat well at all even though it had those plates over the flames. It would be much hotter right over where the flames were. We just bought some lava rocks and filled the thing up anyways, and it works a lot better.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mastertl
To light charcoals, you dump some lighter fluid on them and light it, wait for about 15 minutes then they will be damn hot. You can't control the temperature (Gas +1) but the flavor will be better (Charcoal +1).
nooooooooooo! coals should be lit with a chimney, not chemicals.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chimney.html

If your grill has vents you can control temperature. Certainly not as well or as easily as you could with gas, but you can definitely get a wide range of temperatures by adjusting bottom and/or top vents.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:47 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^werd, I bought my dad that weber chimney, his old one was falling apart. Chimneys are also nice so you can start heating up new coals if your other ones start losing heat, without having to take off all your food and stuff. Just make sure you have a safe place to light a fire.

A lot of people swear by natural charcoal as well rather than the briquettes. I haven't seen it sold too many places though.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
Important: Never light a chimney starter directly on a concrete surface. Heat from the chimney may cause the concrete to explode, damaging the concrete surface and possibly causing physical injury.
I almost want to see that happen.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:57 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
i just got a weber E-320, i love it so far!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by soopa

If your grill has vents you can control temperature. Certainly not as well or as easily as you could with gas, but you can definitely get a wide range of temperatures by adjusting bottom and/or top vents.
I've never really understood or bothered with chimneys. I should probably go buy one. I love to BBQ. That thing looks pretty cool. Thanks.