Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Sony console price comparo: misleading or flat out lying?

Old 10-20-2006 | 03:23 PM
Safety Car

Sony console price comparo: misleading or flat out lying?

http://www.infendo.com/2006/10/sony-...o-low-too.html

IMO this is freaking rediculous. The article points out most of the faults in this "comparison", so I'll save my details.

Apparently microsoft and nintendo already have court dates set for this false advertisement. What kind of settlement woudl result over this? Monetary compensation or just having to remove/modify the comparison? Any lawyers in here?

Just as I was starting to form an attraction to the PS3 sony pulls this shit off. No way I'm giving them any of my money.

I can't believe sony woudl sink this low. It's pathetic.

Last edited by ghost_masterCL; 10-20-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-20-2006 | 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Not reading propaganda...
Old 10-20-2006 | 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

OK, I lied... I clicked. I see nothing wrong with the pricing chart. Everything seems accurate to me...
Old 10-20-2006 | 03:39 PM
Safety Car

it's not rellly the pricing that's the problem it's the "requires users to buy" header. not to mention that you can just buy the $399 xbox 360 version and get the hard drive and a wireless controller AND HD cables (which the ps3 does not come with in any version)knocking $50 off their total cost fo the 360 and adding $30-50 to the total PS3 price.

Also the "$0 for first 6 months" for online for the Wii. It's free forever, you don't have to pay after the first 6 months, so that's highly misleading.

edit: Jb you're a PW.
Old 10-20-2006 | 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, they're not lying about anything, just spinning it in their favor. Just like everyone does. That's marketing for ya...

They are pricing out the 360 Core System, they don't even mention the Premium. So, as far as adding those items to the Core, they are not lying... that's what it would cost. Not mentioning the Premium I'm sure was done on purpose so it came out in their favor. Again, that's marketing for ya.

As for the PS3... I thought it came with component cables for HD. You just need to buy an HDMI cable if you want 1080p output (or just want HDMI connectivity). That's no big deal, I can get them for $15-$16 online.

Not sure about the Wii... haven't really followed it, but if what you say is true, then they're playing with words for sure.

Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
edit: Jb you're a PW.
I could have edited my first post, but I'm bored and didn't want the "edit tagline", so I just posted again
Old 10-20-2006 | 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

this happens many times with Japanese news reports and information - many things are misconstrued and miscommunicated purely because they are lost in translation.
Old 10-20-2006 | 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

and they have every right to compare BD to HD-DVD. They are saying, if you want the similar capability on your X360, you need to pay $199. Why is it so hard to understand.
Old 10-20-2006 | 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

the part about the Wii online subscription is wrong though. and bad.
Old 10-20-2006 | 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by srika
and they have every right to compare BD to HD-DVD. They are saying, if you want the similar capability on your X360, you need to pay $199. Why is it so hard to understand.
no, I completely agree about adding in the HD-DVD price because yes, for them to be equal you have to do that. BUT "requiring" an xbox live gold membership is bullshit. you can get almost the same stuff with the FREE silver membership.

But if you just take the Premium price, and remove the price for wireless controller, HD drive, and Gold membership, they are pretty mucht the same exact price.
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Well, they're not lying about anything, just spinning it in their favor. Just like everyone does. That's marketing for ya...
which is why I titled the thread like it is. It's such a big spin (IMO) that it's a borderline lie.
They are pricing out the 360 Core System, they don't even mention the Premium. So, as far as adding those items to the Core, they are not lying... that's what it would cost. Not mentioning the Premium I'm sure was done on purpose so it came out in their favor. Again, that's marketing for ya.
sure it's marketing, but they have no asterisks w/ tiny text or anythign explaining this, which I think they should for it to be legal.

As for the PS3... I thought it came with component cables for HD. You just need to buy an HDMI cable if you want 1080p output (or just want HDMI connectivity). That's no big deal, I can get them for $15-$16 online.
I thought it just came with composit cables. I'll have to look into that.
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator

you can get almost the same stuff with the FREE silver membership.
You can? I couldn't play Madden or Test Drive Unlimited online without the Gold level membership...
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

which is why I titled the thread like it is. It's such a big spin (IMO) that it's a borderline lie.

sure it's marketing, but they have no asterisks w/ tiny text or anythign explaining this, which I think they should for it to be legal.

I thought it just came with composit cables. I'll have to look into that.
They don't have to explain it.. it's up to the consumer to explain it. If everything in marketing needed to be explained there wouldn't be any commercials or ads... it would just be all text explaining what their commercial was going to be about.

And I'm not sure about the cables either. I could have sworn I read component... but I could be mistaken...
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:05 PM
Safety Car

yep, no component out of the box: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/740/740460p1.html

One Sixaxis controller (with a 20 meter wireless range and 30 hours of battery life on one charge.
According to Sony it's "ready to go out of the box.")

AC cord (no external power source or brick)

USB mini-cable

Ethernet cable

Multi-AV cable with composite connectors
btw. following your lead with multiple posts within edit limit.
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:06 PM
Safety Car

You can? I couldn't play Madden or Test Drive Unlimited online without the Gold level membership...
really? never mind hten, throw that comment out the window.
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

whats the difference between Gold and Silver price.. $50 for Gold... in terms of a ~$599 total, I think that's pretty trivial.
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:08 PM
Safety Car

They don't have to explain it.. it's up to the consumer to explain it. If everything in marketing needed to be explained there wouldn't be any commercials or ads... it would just be all text explaining what their commercial was going to be about.

And I'm not sure about the cables either. I could have sworn I read component... but I could be mistaken...
I dunno, almost every ad I see that has potentially mileading information has some little text at the bottom that says how it could be.

ex: weight loss pill ads have a little thing at hte bottom saying "*results not typical"
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

But if you just take the Premium price, and remove the price for wireless controller, HD drive, and Gold membership, they are pretty mucht the same exact price.
and, I see this is going both ways - just as Sony has obviously "fluffed up" that chart, now the other side is "fluffing up" their rebuttals as well...
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

I dunno, almost every ad I see that has potentially mileading information has some little text at the bottom that says how it could be.

ex: weight loss pill ads have a little thing at hte bottom saying "*results not typical"
LOL, well, that's to cover their ass, but not from competetors.

Ever wonder who the 5th dentist that DOESN'T recommend Crest is? They never tell you that on the bottom of the screen....
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:10 PM
Safety Car

whats the difference between Gold and Silver price.. $50 for Gold... in terms of a ~$599 total, I think that's pretty trivial.
well, keep in ind it's $50 per YEAR, so depending on how many years you get it will depend on total cost to you. Also youc an't really compare xbox live gold to the PS3 online yet. For all we know the PS3 online setup will BLOW, or it could blow xbox live out of the water. we'll have to see before we can directly compare the price points.
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Got my Gold membership from Amazon for $35 shipped including a bonus month... so 13 months total...
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

yep, no component out of the box: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/740/740460p1.html

btw. following your lead with multiple posts within edit limit.
Well played. So I'm not sure what I read about the cables. No worries, I have an extra HDMI in the house anyway... so I'm ready to go whenever i buy a PS3 ...

really? never mind hten, throw that comment out the window.
Yeah, I couldn't play any of the games online. All I could do was download demos and basic stuff like that...
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:14 PM
Safety Car

LOL, well, that's to cover their ass, but not from competetors.

Ever wonder who the 5th dentist that DOESN'T recommend Crest is? They never tell you that on the bottom of the screen....
that's whatI'm saying, people are getting "tricked" into buying the PS3 under the false pretense that you HAVE to pay almost $300 more for the xbox 360. If I wasn't a well informed persona nd found this out leter I'd be pissed. (lucky for me I read up on EVERYTHING before I buy it.)

edit: god my typing sucks when my hands are cold.

Last edited by ghost_masterCL; 10-20-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

that's whatI'm saying, people are getting "tricked" into buying the PS3 under the false pretense that you HAVE to pay almost $300 more for the xbox 360. If I wasn't a well informed persona nd found this out leter I'd be pissed. (lucky for me I read up on EVERYTHING before I buy it.)

edit: god my typing sucks when my hands are cold.
Caveat emptor. It's up to the buyer to do their homework. Sony's (or Microsoft's or Ninendo's) only job is to sell units... and technically, Sony's not lying...
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

well, keep in ind it's $50 per YEAR, so depending on how many years you get it will depend on total cost to you. Also youc an't really compare xbox live gold to the PS3 online yet. For all we know the PS3 online setup will BLOW, or it could blow xbox live out of the water. we'll have to see before we can directly compare the price points.
well that makes it an even stronger point, what's the gaming life for a typical 360 online gamer? can we say 3-4 years? minimum? Hell I've had my PS2 since '01, and never even taken it online once, its a fricking champ, I still play it. 5 years. That being said, 360 online may cost you $105-140 for Silver and $150-200 for Gold, assuming only a 3-4 year gaming life.
Old 10-20-2006 | 04:49 PM
Safety Car

well keep in mind sony is REALLY pushing mini-transactions for their console (ala GTHD), so the amount of stuff you'll purchase to get a quality experience of a game will up that even more, but that's going to far. so forget I even said that.
Old 10-20-2006 | 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator

well keep in mind sony is REALLY pushing mini-transactions for their console (ala GTHD), so the amount of stuff you'll purchase to get a quality experience of a game will up that even more, but that's going to far. so forget I even said that.
why do i have to forget you said that, that's a good point. it will be interesting to see how much one has to spend to fully enjoy a game such as GTHD. I know Im not gonna be dumping money into it indefinitely.
Old 10-20-2006 | 05:15 PM
sup

Old 10-20-2006 | 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Comparo looks okay to me...?

But, wait...no. Not quite. Where's the soul-comsumption device in the Sony? It's not listed.
Old 10-20-2006 | 05:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Looks fair to me. Of course Sony is going to compare what theirs includes and the others don't.
Old 10-20-2006 | 06:03 PM
Drifting

yeah, i suppose it's .. kinda fair,

there again though, i'm not gonna buy the hd-dvd drive. I think to say required is a bit harsh. Marketing is marketing and i wouldn't put it past ms to have done the same thing.
Old 10-20-2006 | 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator

serious though, $599 is a ridiculous price for what you get. Bleeding-edge gaming PLUS a bleeding-edge blu-ray drive, HDMI, 60GB HD, all the ports, the insane processor, etc etc.. for $599. Its an insane deal.
Old 10-20-2006 | 07:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Yumchah

But, wait...no. Not quite. Where's the soul-comsumption device in the Sony? It's not listed.
that's free too.
Old 10-20-2006 | 07:43 PM
Safety Car

serious though, $599 is a ridiculous price for what you get. Bleeding-edge gaming PLUS a bleeding-edge blu-ray drive, HDMI, 60GB HD, all the ports, the insane processor, etc etc.. for $599. Its an insane deal.
assuming it lasts for more than a year of hard gaming.
Old 10-23-2006 | 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumchah

assuming it lasts for more than a year of hard gaming.
Myself and many of my friends are all still using our launch day PS2 systems. And not only have they endured hard gaming, but many of us have moved several times and hundreds of miles, so they've been shaken (not stirred) around, and still work like a charm!! A couple of us even modded them with flip-top covers to play backups, and again, zero problems. So I'm not too concerned. Plus, waiting until next year allows them to get out any minor kinks anyway... just like the 360 (only got mine this past summer).
Old 10-23-2006 | 09:38 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Myself and many of my friends are all still using our launch day PS2 systems. And not only have they endured hard gaming, but many of us have moved several times and hundreds of miles, so they've been shaken (not stirred) around, and still work like a charm!! A couple of us even modded them with flip-top covers to play backups, and again, zero problems. So I'm not too concerned. Plus, waiting until next year allows them to get out any minor kinks anyway... just like the 360 (only got mine this past summer).
I have a launch day PS2 and it went out on me. Kept getting DRE's. So I had to buy a slim one.
Old 10-23-2006 | 11:32 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

There is no question Sony bundled ALOT of tech into the PS3....the price for all this tech is not bad at all. The bigger question is the average consumer... (not the super gamer fanboy type) mainly the parents of kids that will buy the consoles....do they think 600 bucks is a "deal"? Probably not. On the other hand they may look at the wii and 360 and say "Now that's a deal!". Alot of the consumers that buy the consoles have no idea what sort of technology or features are behind the product....many would say that the PS3, wii, 360 are all the same: They play games on TV sets.
Old 10-23-2006 | 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
There is no question Sony bundled ALOT of tech into the PS3....the price for all this tech is not bad at all. The bigger question is the average consumer... (not the super gamer fanboy type) mainly the parents of kids that will buy the consoles....do they think 600 bucks is a "deal"? Probably not. On the other hand they may look at the wii and 360 and say "Now that's a deal!". Alot of the consumers that buy the consoles have no idea what sort of technology or features are behind the product....many would say that the PS3, wii, 360 are all the same: They play games on TV sets.
Yes and no. The reason why I say that is because a giant chunk of the gaming population is in the 20s and 30s demographic. This group is obviously part of the working class and willing to spend (just look up the purchasing power and etc. over the last few years). More evidence? Look at the games slated/marketed for the PS3 so far: Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, Devil May Cry, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Ninja Gaiden, etc. etc. et. How many of these are really for the little whiny 10-year old (you included *cough cough* )...?

So, sure...although buying parents do make up a chunk of the market, I don't see it being the main area Sony is targetting. I believe that's where Nintendo is placing their product more so...
Old 10-23-2006 | 01:14 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Here is my question. With the XBOX going HDDVD and the PS3 going blueray, is the blueray/hddvd war gonna be like the BETA/VHS war which ultimatly ended with BETA going away. Will one of those formats "go away".

Assuming it was blueray (I only say blueray becayse it is coming with a PS3...) that went away, that could make a lot of people pissed off because thats one of the reasons people are wanting to buy a PS3.

Just a thought.
Old 10-23-2006 | 08:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Here is my question. With the XBOX going HDDVD and the PS3 going blueray, is the blueray/hddvd war gonna be like the BETA/VHS war which ultimatly ended with BETA going away. Will one of those formats "go away".

Assuming it was blueray (I only say blueray becayse it is coming with a PS3...) that went away, that could make a lot of people pissed off because thats one of the reasons people are wanting to buy a PS3.

Just a thought.
see thats the thing, the PS3 is a way for sony to push the bluray format on to people thinking that it will help that format come out on top. Kinda jacked up forcing people to buy it for their own business agenda. [/conspiracy]
Old 10-23-2006 | 08:10 PM
MSZ
Lola

Originally Posted by SwervinCL

Just a thought.
In Japan, HD-DVD already lost the format war, Amazon Japan opened their HD-DVD/BD store on the 20th, and their pre-order list shows 9 of the top 10 titles are Blu-Ray movies.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestselle...852857-5128202

Last edited by MSZ; 10-23-2006 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Sony console price comparo: misleading or flat out lying?