Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Nintendo: Wii news **Netflix Available (page 16)**

Old 09-22-2006, 09:41 PM
drop em like its hot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im definitely buying a Wii, and probably a PS3. but i think im gonna wait on the PS3 whereas im going to buy a wii on launch.

<- looking forward to playing old school games... sonic and megaman ftw
Old 09-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Unless we hear some fantastic pieces of news at the Tokyo Game Show from Sony, it is playing catch-up to Microsoft and Nintendo," he adds.
yep, i think sony screwed up big time this time around.

In japan, I'm gonna have to say that nintendo will gain the lead initially, with ps3 being second an 360 being third. over long term ps3 might catch up with nintendo, and MAYBE surpass it depending on games, and quality of games with xbox360 staying third.

in US I'm gonna hav eto say that xbox 360 will keep the lead due to it's early launch. Nintendo will get second due to it's lower price tag, and ps3 will get third due to sony's apparent overall lack of care, or brains.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Agree and Disagree. Nintendo will rule Japan for some time. They always have. The Japanese have a fetish for Nintendo. Even though Nintendo is essencially releasing a system no more powerful then the PS2 or XBOX and calling it next-gen b/c of the controller and the ability to download old school games (which most people into games have already had downloaded for at least 3-4 years), the Japanese will be all over it with Sony 2nd and 360 third (the Japanese hate MS).

In the states Sony will catchup and pass MS pretty quickly. The 360 has been out for a year now and still has only a few games that are must haves. Just doing some reading around the internet forums shows that even 360 fanboys are getting very pissed off at MS. They've had such a head start over Sony, yet the games still suck and only recently are some good ones coming out. So it's almost like MS never even got a head start. Sure they sold a bunch of units over the last year, but at the same time they alienated their own fan base. I mean, you have games that are coming out on both the XBOX and 360, and the XBOX version is better in every way except graphics. It's almost like MS released the 360 early for a worldwide public beta test. Plus, with the announced price drop, Sony's system will cost only a little bit more ($420) then the comparable X360 version ($399), but will offer more. Not mentioning the more powerful hardware and better output resolutions, you have to figure that for $20 more then the 360 you get a $1000 BluRay player built-in, while MS is going to make 360 owners shell out another $200 to get the HD-DVD. Suddenly the PS3 is the better deal if you're interested in either next-gen "DVD" format, which many gamers nowadays are. Even if you're not, it's only $20 more for the PS3 erasing any huge price advantage MS thought they had. BTW, don't be surprised if after the PS3 release (and after the holidays), MS panics and droppes the price of the 360 to give it more separation from the PS3. Sony is also smart enough to know that the games make the console more then the console makes the console... so starting from launch Sony will have the good games out with other good ones following closely behind, and will close the gap with MS very quickly.

The X-factor is going to be the Wii. In the states it will be VERY popular with the teen crowd, and will also be well received by the lower 20-somethings. I think hardcore gamers and older gamers will stay away since Nintendo has always been the Disney of video games... so they won't be swayed by an underpowered "next-gen" machine with a gimmicky controller. However, overall, the Wii will be popular and I would not be surprised if Nintendo passes MS as well in the states come late next year.

Last edited by juniorbean; 09-23-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:24 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
yep, i think sony screwed up big time this time around.

In japan, I'm gonna have to say that nintendo will gain the lead initially, with ps3 being second an 360 being third. over long term ps3 might catch up with nintendo, and MAYBE surpass it depending on games, and quality of games with xbox360 staying third.

in US I'm gonna hav eto say that xbox 360 will keep the lead due to it's early launch. Nintendo will get second due to it's lower price tag, and ps3 will get third due to sony's apparent overall lack of care, or brains.
Your right and Sony cared about the consumer they would push back the PS3's launch date to spring of 2007 in order to have more units at launch.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SRK85
Your right and Sony cared about the consumer they would push back the PS3's launch date to spring of 2007 in order to have more units at launch.
honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. They've had so many delays, and date changes, that I can see the production being delayed further. What are they down to now? 400,000 units bu the end of hte year? wasn't it originally 2mil?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by juniorbean
In the states Sony will catchup and pass MS pretty quickly. The 360 has been out for a year now and still has only a few games that are must haves. Just doing some reading around the internet forums shows that even 360 fanboys are getting very pissed off at MS. They've had such a head start over Sony, yet the games still suck and only recently are some good ones coming out. So it's almost like MS never even got a head start. Sure they sold a bunch of units over the last year, but at the same time they alienated their own fan base. I mean, you have games that are coming out on both the XBOX and 360, and the XBOX version is better in every way except graphics. It's almost like MS released the 360 early for a worldwide public beta test. Plus, with the announced price drop, Sony's system will cost only a little bit more ($420) then the comparable X360 version ($399), but will offer more. Not mentioning the more powerful hardware and better output resolutions, you have to figure that for $20 more then the 360 you get a $1000 BluRay player built-in, while MS is going to make 360 owners shell out another $200 to get the HD-DVD. Suddenly the PS3 is the better deal if you're interested in either next-gen "DVD" format, which many gamers nowadays are. Even if you're not, it's only $20 more for the PS3 erasing any huge price advantage MS thought they had. BTW, don't be surprised if after the PS3 release (and after the holidays), MS panics and droppes the price of the 360 to give it more separation from the PS3. Sony is also smart enough to know that the games make the console more then the console makes the console... so starting from launch Sony will have the good games out with other good ones following closely behind, and will close the gap with MS very quickly.
I thought the ps3 was $500 or $600? Where did you get $420 from? I guess I missed the price drop announcement. If so, then sony has the advantage now.

I think the ps2 fanbase wanting the ps3 is what's going to drive the sales, irrelevent of any good games that are out. You're right though, the 360 has little to no killer-apps on it right now, and that is what's really needed for a console to be succesful.

for the record though, the Wii is technically twice as powerful as an xbox, but just has a very different processing architecture so it's specs don't appear as good as it is.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,309 Likes on 962 Posts
LOL at the 360 being a beta test for the world. Wasn't Windows like that too?

I think a lot of older gamers will embrace WII because of the old school games. My wife can't play Halo or MSG. She loves Mario though. A lot of gamers our age didn't keep up with the evolving skills of games and have to stick to the old stuff. But I hear your assessment.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,589 Likes on 5,366 Posts
I thought the ps3 was $500 or $600? Where did you get $420 from? I guess I missed the price drop announcement. If so, then sony has the advantage now.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&page=21&pp=25
Old 09-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878
LOL at the 360 being a beta test for the world. Wasn't Windows like that too?

I think a lot of older gamers will embrace WII because of the old school games. My wife can't play Halo or MSG. She loves Mario though. A lot of gamers our age didn't keep up with the evolving skills of games and have to stick to the old stuff. But I hear your assessment.
I agree with that. I think many people will be pulled in by the Wii's support of the old school games.

Problem is that I've had emulators for pretty much every old school system except the N64 and Dreamcast (which I still own) and have had them for years on my computer. And my computer is hooked up to my 50" Sammy DLP... so I've been playing my old school games on that for a while now. Therefore, spending $300 or so on a Wii to get old school games doesn't do much for me. And at this point in my life, I think I've played enough Mario and Zelda. I mean, how many remakes have I played since the Nintendo 8-bit system? N64 is probably the last Nintendo system I own unless they really come out with a new strategy next time around. Nintendo will ALWAYS have its fans, and they're the ones that will drive sales of that unit.... especially in Japan. People like me who haven't had a Nintendo system since the N64 will stay with the PS3 or 360...
Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator

for the record though, the Wii is technically twice as powerful as an xbox, but just has a very different processing architecture so it's specs don't appear as good as it is.
Touche

But even so, the games don't "appear" to be twice as nice as the XBOX or PS2... they seem to be on par with them. And I know graphics aren't anything, but as mentioned earlier... Nintendo is just too Disney for me. I can't justify spending $300 or so to play Mario or other Nintendo remakes for the 7th time. Give me a good Madden, good NHL, 1 or 2 driving games (like Test Drive Unlimited or GT:HD) and a good shooter (like Call of Duty 3), and I'm there...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
^ Agree and Disagree. Nintendo will rule Japan for some time. They always have. The Japanese have a fetish for Nintendo. Even though Nintendo is essencially releasing a system no more powerful then the PS2 or XBOX and calling it next-gen b/c of the controller and the ability to download old school games (which most people into games have already had downloaded for at least 3-4 years), the Japanese will be all over it with Sony 2nd and 360 third (the Japanese hate MS).

The X-factor is going to be the Wii. In the states it will be VERY popular with the teen crowd, and will also be well received by the lower 20-somethings. I think hardcore gamers and older gamers will stay away since Nintendo has always been the Disney of video games... so they won't be swayed by an underpowered "next-gen" machine with a gimmicky controller. However, overall, the Wii will be popular and I would not be surprised if Nintendo passes MS as well in the states come late next year.

Yep, I agree. I wish I would not have bought my 360 now. I have seriously played it like maybe 4-5 times and I have had it for about 3 months now. Not because I dont like it, but because lack of games. The only reason I bought it was because I had the money and didnt want to buy a PS3 because of the 600 dollar price tag. Now that it is within reach, I should have just waited for PS3 to come out. UGH...

Microsoft have just screwed the pooch with the game realeases.

I think Nintendo will end up doing pretty good with the WII. I have a pretty good feeling that I will be buying one.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
Talking Demoing Wii may be too dangerous for Wal-Mart

Oh the potential lawsuits...

http://mac.joystiq.com/2006/09/24/ru...-the-children/

Wal-Mart's electronics department layout does not have an allotment of space to demo the Nintendo Wii for the fourth quarter. Our tipster says that after asking for greater details as to why they wouldn't be installing any Wii demo units, he was told by his manager that they had "fear of some kid getting hurt or injuring others in the process of flailing his arms around."

Although "Nintendo doesn't comment on rumors" and Wal-Mart corporate hasn't answered our query, after calling numerous Wal-Marts across the country, we have confirmed that it is true that the Wii is not part of the Q4 layout.

Did Wal-Mart executives decide that the Wii was just too dangerous to demo in its stores? Is Sony paying off the world's largest retailer in an attempt to sway consumer mind-share when shopping?

Doesn't look that way. Although Nintendo and Wal-Mart won't talk, employees from various Wal-Marts have stated that they expect to get their Wii demo units in for Q1 2007 and believe it was a timing issue. They did stress that although they will not be demoing the unit, they will certainly have the Wii for sale at launch in November.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

^ I can just see it now. Wal-Mart slapped with a mutli-million dollar lawsuit b/c some kid playing Mario Tennis took out 4 shoppers with the controller
Old 09-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Safety Car

^ I can just see it now. Wal-Mart slapped with a mutli-million dollar lawsuit b/c some kid playing Mario Tennis took out 4 shoppers with the controller
I can see it too. security camer catches it happen, adn shoppers are walking by and the kid just keep clothes-lining them completely oblivious.

that would actually be pretty sweet for a commercial for a sword fighting game for the Wii, just keep cutting back and forth from the game to the person with the wii-mote taking people out who are walking by.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

I can see it too. security camer catches it happen, adn shoppers are walking by and the kid just keep clothes-lining them completely oblivious.

that would actually be pretty sweet for a commercial for a sword fighting game for the Wii, just keep cutting back and forth from the game to the person with the wii-mote taking people out who are walking by.
Odds are the video would end up on YouTube within hours

Last edited by juniorbean; 09-27-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

My only worry about the controller for the WII is my memories of the power glove.. What a train wreck that was. Could never get that thing to work when I was a kid.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
i was talkin about this with a friend, we walked by a 360 demo in best buy and we wondered how they would demo Wii... I see people trying to walk off with the controllers...

also we thought of how funny it would be to see people getting backhanded or slaped in the head from a kid playing zelda...
Old 09-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Safety Car

keep in mind you don't have to swing your whole arm to do the "motions" you can just "twitch" your wrist to achieve the same effect.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

^

Today's teens should be great at the wrist action ....
Old 09-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

^

Today's teens should be great at the wrist action ....
And you dont???
Old 09-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
And you dont???
Nah, I'm married. I have OnDemand lovin.

BTW, why would you take offense to that joke? You're 27 per your profile. So you're not a teen... so unless you're a chronic masterbator, why the soft skin?Didn't realize people in the Video Game subforum were so sensitive....

The Disney aura that surrounds the Nintendo consoles must be rubbing off on you guys
Old 09-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Nah, I'm married. I have OnDemand lovin.

BTW, why would you take offense to that joke? You're 27 per your profile. So you're not a teen... so unless you're a chronic masterbator, why the soft skin?Didn't realize people in the Video Game subforum were so sensitive....

The Disney aura that surrounds the Nintendo consoles must be rubbing off on you guys
I didnt take offence at all..... Im married too, but hit the "were married now so you dont need it all the time" slump.

Needless to say, im gonna be a WII pro
Old 09-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

I didnt take offence at all..... Im married too, but hit the "were married now so you dont need it all the time" slump.

Well, the rolleyes looked like I offended, hence my reply.

BTW, don't worry, it will pick back up again. Luckily after 4 years of marriage and 9 of being together, we only hit that slump once... and it didn't last long... so you should be OK
Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

I sure as hell hope so.... We have been married for 2 years and together for almost 9.

It does not help that she lives 3 states away from me right now, but thats a different story.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

I feel you. My GF and I are living with our parents at the moment (for the next two weeks), so we're almost never "alone enough" to do the deed.

I think I'll be a pro too.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:21 AM
Safety Car

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/821/821585/vids_2.html

anyone who's a fan of metal gear shoudl watch the "bunnies can't iniltrate games convention" movie. it's great.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Briefing.com reports (subscription only) that, according to UBS, 2 million Wii consoles were completed in Q3 (July-September) to support Nintendo's upcoming Q406 global console launch, beginning November 19th in North America. In addition, "at least 7 mln and potentially as high as 9 mln more units are in the build plan for 4Q06." The report continues, "this production ramp handily exeeds [sic] a publicly announced tgt for 6 mln units to ship by yearend"; however, Nintendo had previously announced plans to ship 6 million units by the end of their fiscal year (ending March 31, 2007) and only 4 million by the end of the calendar year. The language appears to indicate the possibility of building, if not shipping, as many as 11 million Wii consoles by the end of the calendar year!

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/05/wi...-expectations/
Old 10-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Safety Car

damn,w ith that many units I'm surprised they are even waiting until november 19th to release it. They coudl release it now and just have a steady flow of units till the end of the year.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Well if those figures are accurate, Nintendo will have an installed base of 5x as many units as the PS3 by Q1/07. And an even greater deficit behind the 360.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,589 Likes on 5,366 Posts
Rampage screenshots..

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=147251
Old 10-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Safety Car

of all the games coming out on Wii I think rampage is oen of three I coudln't give two shits about.

trauma center looks pretty sweet though.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

FYR, screenshot comparisons with the Gamecube and Wii as well as the regular XBOX and Wii. Yes, I know, I know, graphics aren't everything, but it kind of gives you a better idea of where Nintendo is going with their pricing point and strategy and why the Wii is so much cheaper then the 360 and PS3.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:14 PM
drop em like its hot

hmm i see your point JB. not a big improvement graphics wise...

but i think most of the people looking to get wii wouldn't put graphics as their top priority so nintendo should still be straight.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rezurex
hmm i see your point JB. not a big improvement graphics wise...

but i think most of the people looking to get wii wouldn't put graphics as their top priority so nintendo should still be straight.
I agree 110%. Just posted that since a lot of people like to compare the Wii to the 360 and PS3 when in reality, you can't. Personally I'd be a little pissed if I was a Nintendo fan. I'd rather see the new motion controller be added to the Gamecube then have to spend another couple hundred dollars on a "next-gen" system which really just adds a few gimmicks and slightly more "HP". For those reasons I'll be staying far away from the Wii... however, Nintendo is not dumb, and they will have plenty of people dying to fork over the money for the Wii and I imagine it will do very well sales-wise...
Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

good find on those comparison screenshots JB. I think that they tried to get the wii-mote as just an addon toe the gamecube, but becasue it wasn't designed specifically for the remote it didn't work too well. Plus they wouldn't have been able to do the virtual console on gamecube, and IMO the graphics look considerably better on the Wii than the xbox or gamecube, especially since the system is so goddamn small.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Ahh, didn't know they tried to get it on the Gamecube before deciding to do it on the Wii. Good to know. Not too concerned about the virtual console, I've had all of those emulators on my PC for years. I wonder if Nintendo has something up their sleeves and in like 1.5-2 years they're going to bust out a real next-gen console and smoke the PS3 and 360. That would be funny as hell....
Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Safety Car

yeah I had emulators for a while, but for some reason it's just not the same playing it on my computer. I would laugh if they came out with some crazy powerful system ina few years.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Team Owner

I'm a GC owner and I'm pissed that I have to shell out a few hundred more to play the next Zelda and Metroid. I have very few games for the GC and opt for the PS2 version when it's available on both.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Safety Car

you can get the next zelda on GC, what's teh problem?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Team Owner

Didn't know that. Now I"m half mad.

Quick Reply: Nintendo: Wii news **Netflix Available (page 16)**