Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Nintendo: Wii news **Netflix Available (page 16)**

Old 05-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nintendo: Wii news **Netflix Available (page 16)**

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=118586

FIRST OFFICIAL REVOLUTION DETAILS SPIN OUT

Sleek, thin, horizontal, backwards compatible and online enabled - more details straight from Nintendo inside!

16:55 The Nintendo Revolution will be a sleek console that will come complete with wireless controllers, backwards compatibility and full online functionality out of the box, according to Nintendo.

Not to be outdone by Microsoft's MTV unveiling of the Xbox 360 and our exclusive report that Sony will reveal a near-complete version of the PS3 at next week's E3, Nintendo has decided to release the first official details of its next-gen machine.

Speaking to select members of the US mainstream press Perrin Kaplin, Nintendo of America's vice president for corporate affairs, described the Revolution as "very, very sleek."

She elaborated by stating that the console would sit horizontally, and compared its size to three DVD cases sitting on top of each other (about 5cm by 19cm). It's a huge departure from Nintendo's past console designs and signals a new desire to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft's slicker unit designs.

Other features confirmed for Revolution by Kaplin include wireless controllers and DVD playback. To allow for this new feature the console will use 12cm optical disks (that's the same size as a DVD-ROM) rather than the Cube's smaller proprietary disks.

Online play will be available out of the box and Nintendo will push this aspect of the Revolution extremely hard. More detailed plans about the Nintendo Online service are expected next week at E3, but wireless connectivity between DS and Revolution is also expected.

Perhaps most importantly for Nintendo fans, Kaplin confirmed that the Revolution would be backwards compatible with GameCube games. Microsoft is yet to announce whether you'll be able to play Xbox games on 360.

Kaplin also discussed new, next-gen games that would exploit high definition technology - clearly taking a lead from Xbox 360's emphasis on the 'HD Era'.

No further details about the console's release date, price, or much-debated gameplay revolution were revealed.

While numerous reports - including information passed to us last month - have suggested that the Revolution will not be present at next week's E3 in anything other than video form, these new official details suggest that we may see more of the console than expected.

Whatever happens, we'll bring you the news first.

Graeme Boyd
Old 05-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
meh

I will get the Xbox 360 and PS3, but I can't imagine getting the next gen Nintendo system unless it has a few great proprietary games that I just can't live without.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:26 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
:whocares:
Old 05-13-2005, 01:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Xbox 360 > *
Old 05-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,923 Likes on 5,541 Posts
damn Nintendo must be feeling some serious heat.. I mean hell they haven't even disclosed any details earlier about their system, while Microsoft and Sony had already had infos leaked. If I were Nintendo I would be
Old 05-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by srika
damn Nintendo must be feeling some serious heat.. I mean hell they haven't even disclosed any details earlier about their system, while Microsoft and Sony had already had infos leaked. If I were Nintendo I would be

they have a great software library just need to expand.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:58 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Nes > *
Old 05-13-2005, 02:13 PM
The hair says it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not everyone is willing to dish out $400 for a console
Old 05-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,941 Likes on 14,057 Posts
Atari Jaguar > *

Well, I think it'll be interesting...I've always been kinda partial to Nintendo games (i.e. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid)...So, a new gen. console can't hurt in taking their apps to an even higher level. I'm kinda hyped!
Old 05-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I used to love Nintendo (NES and SNES were amazing systems), but they lost me as a fan when the released the N64. I'm probably not going to even consider the Revolution. Xbox360 and PS3 yes, Revolution, naah.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy
I used to love Nintendo (NES and SNES were amazing systems), but they lost me as a fan when the released the N64. I'm probably not going to even consider the Revolution. Xbox360 and PS3 yes, Revolution, naah.
why
Old 05-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I actually excited and worry about nintendo next gen console, becuase this console would either let them survive in the so-called console wars or go the way of sega did. I own every system of nintendo, to me I love the n64 the most, but can't wait for the revolution to come out.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bkknight369
why
- Very little 3rd party support for their platforms - a few great games such as RE4, but not as many as the PS2 or Xbox.

- Milked their franchises WAY too much. How many damn games do they have to put Mario or Donkey Kong in?

- Playing it safe - No DVD or Online support in the GameCube.

Again, I loved Nintendo in the past, but I'm less and less of a fan as time goes on.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:24 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Nintendo I'm afraid will go the way of Sega....they will be a game maker only.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
- Very little 3rd party support for their platforms - a few great games such as RE4, but not as many as the PS2 or Xbox.

- Milked their franchises WAY too much. How many damn games do they have to put Mario or Donkey Kong in?

- Playing it safe - No DVD or Online support in the GameCube.

Again, I loved Nintendo in the past, but I'm less and less of a fan as time goes on.
I may be totally off-base here, but I believe Nintendo aims their market towards the under 16 groups...Most of their games are catered more towards the younger gamers and so, they can get away with recycling the same characters over and over again.

But, I think you are putting too much negative on the Mario et al games. Each one of them that comes out are still gems and usually good games in themselves. Sequels drives the gaming market...Consider titles with Mega Man, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy...

Nevertheless, I can see understand your gripes too...most of what Nintendo offers is not as appealing to the older crowd...
Old 05-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Yumchah
I may be totally off-base here, but I believe Nintendo aims their market towards the under 16 groups...Most of their games are catered more towards the younger gamers and so, they can get away with recycling the same characters over and over again.

But, I think you are putting too much negative on the Mario et al games. Each one of them that comes out are still gems and usually good games in themselves. Sequels drives the gaming market...Consider titles with Mega Man, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy...

Nevertheless, I can see understand your gripes too...most of what Nintendo offers is not as appealing to the older crowd...

Most of what Nintendo puts out is quality, it just doesn't appeal to me as a gamer any longer. I guess I've sorta outgrown Nintendo. There are a few great games but overall due to the N64 and Gamecube, I'm not really excited about the Revolution.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Xbox 360 > *
PS3 > *
Old 05-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
PS3 > *
i think you mean PS3 < *

Old 05-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Suzuka Master

BATTER UP!

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/6...g_2789306.html

aim batta-batta-batta... SWIIING batta.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:14 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KavexTrax
BATTER UP!

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/6...g_2789306.html

aim batta-batta-batta... SWIIING batta.

As far as looks go I think Nintendo is owning the xbox 360 and playstation. But in the end who cares if it looks nice, it really comes down to what it can do.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:29 AM
go like hell

Originally Posted by Yumchah

I still rock out my GC everyday. the reason I switched from my orginal playstation to GC is I went through 2 playstations I think i kept on burning up the electronic eye. I talked with a kid at video game store and said it's a common problem and Sony's quality is subpar compared to Nintendo's. I hated the controller on the X Box. so I went with GC.yeah they don't have GTA or GT4 but I don't have to replace my system every 6 months.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?...c-e5931b807091

Revolution

After an impressive highlight reel showcasing upcoming GBA software, Mr. Iwata returned to the stage and gave the crowd what it was hoping for -- a first-look at a prototype of Nintendo's next console, code-name Revolution. Mr. Iwata revealed that Revolution will be arriving in 2006 and announced that the system will be backward compatible with Nintendo GameCube games. In addition, Revolution will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

Mr. Iwata also announced that Revolution will feature wireless controllers and compatibility with the newly announced wireless gaming service Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Many attendees cheered when Mr. Iwata revealed that key franchises will be compatible with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection at launch, including Super Smash Bros.

Other details about Revolution include:

* Sophisticated Design. The new console is approximately the size of three standard DVD cases stacked together, and it was displayed in a variety of prototype colors at E3. The console will come with a sleek silver stand allowing it to be displayed vertically or horizontally.
* Backward Compatibility. Revolution will play all of your favorite Nintendo GameCube games. An innovative self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. You can also equip a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.
* Huge Historic Library. Revolution will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).
* Big Names. Nintendo announced that new franchise properties will be added to current super-star franchises including Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.
* Wi-Fi Freedom. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment using Nintendo's newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
after hearing about all the access to the previous games, wi-fi, backwards compatability and the buzz about the future games, i think i am definitely picking one up to replace my gamecube...
Old 05-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
Oh man, the LAST thing this world needs is another Mario game, (and you know it will be the first game out). Nintendo's good for little kids, But most gamers now-a-days are nerdy adults. (i.e. us). THey don't want some kiddy game with with a fat italian guy jumping around trying to defeat king koopa.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Nintendo I'm afraid will go the way of Sega....they will be a game maker only.
I highly doubt it, Nintendo has $10B in cash reserves they've built up over the years. Thats quite a treasure chest.

http://www.dfcint.com/game_article/feb03article.html
Old 05-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by te3point5
Oh man, the LAST thing this world needs is another Mario game, (and you know it will be the first game out). Nintendo's good for little kids, But most gamers now-a-days are nerdy adults. (i.e. us). THey don't want some kiddy game with with a fat italian guy jumping around trying to defeat king koopa.
Uh huh...and I suppose that's the way too with Mega Man, Tekken, Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, Final Fantasy, Sonic the Hedgehog...

C'mon, sequels make up a nice chunk of video games...If a title generated sales before, the sequel will at least have some guarantee as it has a reputation already to build on.

Sure, Mario is kinda "cutesy" for our age...But, have you tried any of the new ones lately? They are pretty good games in their own right. Hell, the last "cute" game I played (Klonoa for the PS2) kicked absolute @$$...
Old 05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nintendo, will always survive the console market becaus of their hand-helds. Even with the PSP out, Nntendo still holds a market share of gamers who want a system they can take around, drop and just play with it. Any PSP owner i know is afraid to take the damn thing outta the house, and anyone i see outside with one, always has scratches on it.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by te3point5
Old 05-18-2005, 01:54 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i for one am hoping nintendo makes a huge comeback. 3 great consoles means better tech and games in the future for the consumers
Old 05-18-2005, 02:14 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,080 Likes on 2,697 Posts
I wont poop on the idea of teh revolution.

I used to be so pro-nintendo. But I got sick of going over to my friends and playing the awesome games on xbox..and then not really having them to play on my cube at home....

That is when I traded in the cube and went Xbox......So, my interests lie to the Xbox360.

We'll see if nintendo can win back a lost fan base. In all honesty..they did it to themselves. If they would have never pissed off Sony...there would be no PS...and nintendo might still in the top alongside Xbox.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
looks wise yea the nintendo is sweet i think it goes like this

NR > PS3 > X360

but for the order of systems ima get its gonna be like this

PS3 > X360 > NR
Old 05-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

the legend will never die
Old 06-04-2005, 01:03 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I hope nintendo change the way we play games or come up with different types of games. Games are becoming repetative nowadays, in that its the same old formula but upgraded. For example, like with halo 2, its the same game as halo 1 but with extra goodies, same with the GTA series. Those games are good and fun to play, but gets boring after awhile. Also with the Revolution, you can download games from nintendo previous console, from nes to n64, which is great for all yall old skool fan. Anyways, I hope nintendo doesn't go down the same path as Sega.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:34 AM
Senior Moderator

there is speculation that the Nintendo Revolution's controllers are going to be of a 'gyroscopic' kind... I guess with a name like "Revolution", they're gonna have to do at least a few things that are, well, revolutionary.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=123971

Tuesday 23rd August 2005

OMG!! THE REVOLUTION SECRET IS OUT!!!

Well, US publication Computer Games Magazine seems to think so at least.

Scepticism inside!

15:14 Okay, we're offering this one to you like a plate of sick, gingerly fingering the fetid concoction toward you like we'd really rather be doing something else. Yes, it's Revolution controller news and yes, we'd usually rather shave our pubes with the arse-end of a lawn mower than fling anymore rumour-nure on the pile, but this one comes from a source more reliable than most, so, you know.

According to an article in US publication Computer Games Magazine (we were just about to congratulate them on their no-nonsense title when we remembered where we work), the Revolution controller's big secret is... wait for it... tilt resistance.

Simply, this combines a gyroscopic sensor with a couple of balanced rotating weights - a bit like those that create standard controller rumble action. When you tip the controller in a particular direction the weights whiz into action, creating enough inertia to take your hands clean off in an ejaculating geyser of gushing blood. Okay, so that last bit was a lie. What actually happens is: the inertia prevents you from tipping the controller any further.

We're not going to speculate on the potential applications of such a device at present, although we quite like the idea of a manufacturing defect causing Revolution controllers worldwide to shoot out of gamers' hands and knock their teeth out.

However, the magazine article does suggest that the reason Nintendo hasn't been forthcoming with its wobble resistant controller is that it's "trying to make this work with wireless controllers, finding the optimal trade-off between spinning the widgets fast enough to produce a good, strong effect and keeping the controller from eating batteries too quickly."

Also, Nintendo doesn't want Sony and Microsoft nicking its ideas either.

At this point in time, we're quite happy to put the latest rumours on the "feasible" pile, along with touch-screen, gyroscopic tip-ability, user-moldable buttons and a giant nipple labelled "twiddle". Still, if this story turns out to be true, we absolutely believed it from the start.

Matt Wales
Old 08-24-2005, 04:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

an ejaculating geyser of gushing blood
Old 08-26-2005, 09:51 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They have been testing this out on the GBA for a while now. I dont see it impacting the way i play game at all.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

watch them come out with a microphone and powerglove attachment and they'll be having you singing and dancing while playing games
Old 08-26-2005, 11:16 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Does these new "gyro" controlers signal the return of:

Old 09-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Ahh good old nintendo. I hope they win with the revolution. N64 was a bad call and the gamecube was a good system but with no 3rd party games. 1st party games were top rate though. Innovative and refreshing.

Like them or not, nintendo is the only gaming company willing to take a risk with gaming hardware and software. Their games are refreshing and innovative, I'm sorry you can't see past guns and killing and hot chick graphics. It's sad what corporate America can do to a market when it sees a potential for profit. Games today are so bland, easy, and very "Hollywood" for lack of a better term.

Personally I hope the fat italian and his entourage stick around for this next battle. They have more character than any of these new mascots.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow... this is like the shock of the century..... this is truly, a "revolution"... click for full story and pix.

Nintendo Revolution Controller revealed

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

Quick Reply: Nintendo: Wii news **Netflix Available (page 16)**