Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Nintendo: Wii news **Netflix Available (page 16)**

Old 12-07-2005, 02:27 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont understand the complaints here. Nintendo has played in this field for a while. Its like complaining the latest civic doesnt match up against the latest ferrari.

Is there a market for a low cost gaming system? Nintendo thinks so. Maybe it wont be bought by hardcore gamers, but its a good choice for children or casual games (assuming games will be cheaper as well).
Old 12-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
I dont understand the complaints here. Nintendo has played in this field for a while. Its like complaining the latest civic doesnt match up against the latest ferrari.

Is there a market for a low cost gaming system? Nintendo thinks so. Maybe it wont be bought by hardcore gamers, but its a good choice for children or casual games (assuming games will be cheaper as well).
I can understand their approach, but as a long-time Nintendo fan, it's nonetheless disappointing to me.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy
I can understand their approach, but as a long-time Nintendo fan, it's nonetheless disappointing to me.
Remember, it's not the machine...it's the games.

If you recall the super consoles that came out during the SNES days which were much more powerful all died (not saying this market will play out that way as Microsoft and Sony have established markets) slow deaths due to lousy games...I believe that Nintendo with their established franchise games will do just fine regardless of impressing hardware snobs like you or not...

Old 12-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

One thing is for sure, I think it's purdy:

Old 12-08-2005, 03:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^mmmmm Shiny White Plastic
Old 12-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^mmmmm Shiny White Plastic
Here's hoping there's some diecast in it!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:38 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
If revolution is 99 dollars i will just buy it to play super smash bros online.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Nifty video on the Revolution (teaser from Nintendo): http://media.revolution.ign.com/arti...15/vids_1.html
Old 12-08-2005, 06:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Here's hoping there's some diecast in it!
Unfortunately the world is turning plastic
Old 12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Unfortunately the world is turning plastic
I know!

You can't get a quality toy these days with diecast in it anymore here in North America.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Remember, it's not the machine...it's the games.

If you recall the super consoles that came out during the SNES days which were much more powerful all died (not saying this market will play out that way as Microsoft and Sony have established markets) slow deaths due to lousy games...I believe that Nintendo with their established franchise games will do just fine regardless of impressing hardware snobs like you or not...

Yeah, but each successive console from Nintendo and Sega were signifantly more powerful than the previous version

NES --> SNES; Master System --> Genesis, etc...

This is the first time a company is coming out with a console a number of years later that isn't much better than the prior version.

Even the DS which isn't a powerhouse is at least significantly more powerful than the GBA.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Yeah, but each successive console from Nintendo and Sega were signifantly more powerful than the previous version

NES --> SNES; Master System --> Genesis, etc...

This is the first time a company is coming out with a console a number of years later that isn't much better than the prior version.

Even the DS which isn't a powerhouse is at least significantly more powerful than the GBA.
8-bit to 16-bit to 32-bit to 64-bit?

I wouldn't call that a light-years migration...but, that's just me. And again, those systems did well because of their games...it had nothing to do with their power. As an example, to this day, the best fighting game is arguably still Street Fighter 2. Nothing that has come out (although more realistic) has matched the replayability and fun of Capcom's game.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/15/comm...aming/?cnn=yes

Witnessing the Revolution
Hands on time with Nintendo's next generation system. Will it change gaming?
December 15, 2005: 9:46 AM EST
Game Over is a weekly column by Chris Morris

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – Interesting factoid about the Nintendo Revolution controller: It's smaller and lighter than you might think.

I recently had the chance to get some hands-on time with the company's next generation console to see whether the Revolution was, in fact, revolutionary. While the controller I used was still a prototype (the final one will be a bit larger and will include a button to power the machine on and off), it gave me a good chance to see what to expect when the system launches next year.

Shaped like a television remote control, the Revolution controller uses internal sensors to translate your wrist, arm and hand movements on screen. It's easy to use, but takes a few minutes to adjust your playing style. (I initially found myself waving my arms wildly, resulting in the onscreen pointer whizzing back and forth at blinding speeds.)

Nintendo wasn't kidding when it said it wanted to change the way people play, though. Once I figured out that subtle movements made for simple gameplay, I went through eight demos demonstrating a variety of features and possible uses. A simple point and shoot demo (like any of the thousands of Web-based Flash games) was more fun than I expected. I effortlessly pulled off loops and flight stunts I've never been able to manage with today's standard controller in a flying demo, simply by holding the controller as I might a paper airplane. ("Star Fox" fans should start getting excited.)

Other demos allowed me to telescopically zoom in and out on the screen, simply by moving the controller forward and backward and try some fishing by 'feeling' fish nibble on the line (via a rumble effect), then yanking the controller up in the air to hook them. ("Animal Crossing" fans, you might want to get excited, too.)

By adding an auxiliary thumbstick controller, I was able to play through a level of a retrofitted "Metroid Prime 2" (a GameCube game). Confession time: When it comes to console shooters, I'm terrible. I can finish them, but I'm nowhere near as competent as I am with my mouse/keyboard setup for the PC. In the early stages of the "Metroid" demo, it looked like this trend would continue, as I was all over the screen. By mid-way, though, I was better able to move and aim – and enjoyed the game far more than I did with the GameCube controller. ("Metroid" fans... well, you're probably already pretty excited.)

It turns out I'm not the only one who has this problem with standard controllers.

"I was a developer for many years before my current role, but I've never been a very good gamer," Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told me. "I've never been able to control a first-person shooter, but as soon as I used the Revolution controller, I found it very easy to control the game. So, I think that's a genre that's particularly well suited for the controller."

Reggie Fils-Aime, executive vice president of sales and marketing for Nintendo of America, said he hopes to see another type of game really take off with the Revolution.

"I hope [massively multiplayer online games] are really explored on this system," he said. "That's a genre, from the home console standpoint, that really hasn't been explored very well."

One of the problems the Revolution faces is dislodging the idea of the standard controller from people's minds. Mention home video games to most people and they'll conjure a mental image of someone sitting on a couch, both hands gripping one of today's standard controllers and not moving much. So the idea of moving your arm in a virtual sword fight or taking virtual aim at onscreen monsters might be hard to get across.

"When we first watched it, we thought, frankly, 'what the hell is this?'," said Jack Sorensen, executive vice president of worldwide studios for THQ. "The main thing is getting it in your hands. Once you do that, it's pretty intuitive. It's not about more buttons. It's about ease of use for consumers. ... I'm surprised and happy with the direction Nintendo is going."

Nintendo was in a similar situation a year ago when it launched the Nintendo DS. Explaining to people that a touch screen would be used to play games wasn't easy. The DS was something that had to be experienced to fully understand. Iwata said the company is better prepared this time around.

"It's going to be a challenge to take something that's a new concept and new idea and convey to the public ... how to understand it, but honestly I think the Revolution controller is going to be a lot easier to convey to the public than the DS was as a system," he said. "We've learned a lot in terms of how to communicate to people these new and different ideas and because of the experience we had with the DS, we're much more prepared."

The company has high hopes for its next console (Revolution, it should be noted, is just a code name – the system's official name will be announced next year). Iwata has previously said if sales do not surpass the GameCube's, it will be considered a failure.

It goes beyond that, though.

"Until now, within a single household, we've had family members who play video games and family members who don't play video games - and they've been very separate," said Iwata. "Gradually, the barriers between those two have gotten stronger. ... Today, if you don't understand the controller, you're not able to enjoy video games. ... We expect [the Revolution controller] to become the standard in video game controls."

That's a tall order, especially amongst an audience that tends to be resistant to change. (The DS was often scorned by core gamers when it was initially announced. Some of those same gamers now regularly sing its praises. Others continue to argue it's a gimmick.)

The Revolution is scheduled to launch next year, most likely in the same time frame as Sony's (Research) PlayStation 3. Nintendo, which has already hinted it might offer the console at a lower price, has already promised to reveal all the details at a May press conference preceding the E3 trade show (the annual gathering of the video game industry).

That doesn't mean it will retreat behind a veil of silence until that point, however.

"It's fair to say that we have a number of things that we will begin unveiling all next year, leading up to E3," said Fils-Aime.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,921 Likes on 5,540 Posts
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3147122

Eat Revolution For Thanksgiving

Nintendo president says console will be released before then.

by Patrick Klepek, 01/18/2006

Has it really been four months since the Revolution controller was revealed? Even so, everyone's hungry for more details about Nintendo's plans, and though there's no word on a press conference, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has talked to Japanese newspaper Sankei Shinbun about the much debated release date.

Speculation has run the gamut from a surprise May debut to a more plausible summer release or a logical holiday timeframe. Iwata wants the machine out by Thanksgiving in North America, and says Nintendo has no plans to miss out on the crucial holiday sales.

In other words, Revolution should hit at least Japan, Canada and the United States before 2006 is out. Europe? Well, you guys are used to getting screwed at this point, anyway.

The other half of the console equation involves the price. Some criticism was leveled at Nintendo last generation for offering such a low price point that it made GameCube appear inferior to the competition, but the focus on gameplay over graphics should make that less of an issue for Revolution.

Iwata unsurprisingly won't confirm the price for the machine, but is saying they'll be picking an "affordable price" that's below 50,000 yen (about $434 USD) because people seem to be less willing to spend money on videogames these days. Whether that means we can expect GameCube-level (or lower) pricing remains to be seen.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

So if people have the xbox 360..then buy the revolution too....do they have any $$ left for a PS3 that is priced north of 500 bucks?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes, he did that

I don't think Sony will price the PS3 that high - my guess is $400 at most.

As for revolution, I think Nintendo may be bold and sell it for sub $300. Most of the compontents won't change for the Revolution in terms of power, and I see them banking on higher software prices on their first party games (Mario, Zelda, Metroid).
Old 01-19-2006, 05:27 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
My guess.

Revolution will be sub-$300

PS3 will debut at $400 and you will see the Xbox360 drop by $50 bucks.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

my guesses:

Revolution: $299
PS3: $449-499
Old 01-19-2006, 05:34 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
my guesses:

Revolution: $299
PS3: $449-499
I think the revolution will come in less the that.

xbox core is 299.....may very well drop to 250 when the ps3 comes out.....i think nintendo wants to be below all that.

maybe not.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

yea umm.. did I say $299? I meant $99.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
$149 for base system with 1 controller... package with 2 controllers and other accessories $200...
Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

just gimme a new zelda and mario damnit.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:24 PM
08 MDX with Sports

November damn by that time 2nd generation xbox 360 games will roll out...
Old 03-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Planet Revolution

Nintendo relies on innovation, not horsepower, to drive sales of its next generation console.

by Matt Casamassina of IGN.com

March 8, 2006 - I am at best a reluctant role-playing game fan and at worst somebody who just doesn't care about the genre. I tend to believe this is because the majority of RPGs fall into the fantasy category and I am by nature someone who favors science fiction. But I'll be the first to concede that it may also have something to do with my attention span, which rivals that of a hamster. I bring this point up because, despite this unavoidable truth, I am dead-set on buying The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for Xbox 360 later this month. I'm planning to make this purchase knowing full well that I probably won't stick with the game long enough to appreciate its universe or storyline. So why buy it? My reasoning couldn't possibly be shallower: I happen to think it looks gorgeous.

I've just illustrated to you the thought process of a videogame graphics junkie, or a person so intoxicated with the visual presentation of software that it alone can make or break an effort in their eyes. You might find the notion appalling, but I'd argue that we've all been there at one time or another. We've been trained by the industry to look first and consider the gameplay mechanics second. Even the people designing some of today's biggest projects have learned that graphics can be king. Consider for a moment any recent developer interview you've read or downloaded. I'll bet that the interviewee spent ample time explaining the cutting-edge graphic techniques running in-game -- your HDR lighting, normal mapping, bumped surfaces and blistering framerate -- but did they go into the same detail about the title's storyline?

The videogame industry has for more than a decade existed primarily to deliver players bigger and better aural and visual experiences. We've gone from sprites to polygons, from 2D to 3D, from hand-drawn to motion-captured, from stereo to surround sound and from standard to high-definition graphics. Microsoft and Sony are counting on the so-called "HD era" of gaming to suck in and satisfy another generation of players. Xbox 360 is so focused on HD graphics, in fact, that Bill Gates and company barely bothered to change the design of its controller from a previous generation. As a result, the console can render games in magnificent 720p resolution, but players must still push two archaic analog sticks to move and look around in a game like Perfect Dark Zero. PC first-person shooters provided better accuracy with a mouse-and-keyboard setup a decade ago. It begs the question, is the industry so determined to paint the next pretty picture that it's become collectively distracted from true gameplay innovation?

Clearly, graphics are important, but as any addict (myself included) should know, games are ultimately designed to be played, not simply gawked over. And if a game doesn't play well, all its fancy graphics may as well be for nothing.

Graphics Aren't Everything
Nintendo has in recent years taken steps to separate itself from the audio and visual war waged by Microsoft and Sony. The company's dual-screen portable, Nintendo DS, lacks the power of Sony's PSP device, but it innovates with a touch-sensitive interface. Company president Satoru Iwata has stressed on numerous occasions that unless developers continue to innovate beyond prettier visuals the videogame industry will die. Dramatic, sure, but Nintendo has remained true to its words, usually downplaying horsepower and promoting new methods to play games.

The Big N's self-described 'new generation' console, codenamed Revolution, will not regularly output high-definition visuals, which has some graphic junkies throwing a fit. Most, if not all Revolution titles will run in standard definition with the option for progressive-scan display. Some might call this a lack of foresight. After all, more than 50 percent of households are expected to own at least one HD set by 2008, according to analysts. However, Nintendo bigwigs believe that graphics have reached a "saturation point," and that gameplay, not more detailed game worlds, is in need of a renaissance. This is an approach that I can get behind regardless of my infatuation with cutting-edge visuals in software. In fact, more and more I find myself completely aligned with this game design philosophy.

I don't believe for a second some of Nintendo's reasons for this decision, though. The house that Mario built claims that Revolution will be cheaper both for developers and consumers because it doesn't support high-definition games. The upfront development hardware is certain to be more cost effective and developers familiar with GameCube will be able to pick up where they left off, yes, but that's really about it. Just because Revolution is less powerful doesn't automatically mean that software houses working on it will make cheaper games. Shenmue was made for Dreamcast, a system significantly less powerful than GameCube, but that didn't stop SEGA from sinking millions upon millions into the project. Geometry Wars was by comparison made for relative pennies and it runs in high-definition on Xbox 360. Point is, studios can just as easily make an inexpensive game for 360 or PlayStation 3 as they can on Revolution. And therefore, Nintendo cannot hold to that.

In fact, the case can be made that in some situations Revolution development will be more expensive than making software for 360 or PS3 because Nintendo's hardware is both less powerful and reliant on a new input mechanism, which makes ports a tricky affair. Third parties oftentimes simultaneously create software for two or more systems hoping to recuperate some of the production costs and the very nature of Nintendo's new hardware makes that undertaking an improbability. As a result - and we're seeing this already - many studios are creating original content for Revolution. This is, of course, great news for the end consumer, but nevertheless a potentially pricy predicament for publishers.

Furthermore, Nintendo's allegation that most gamers won't be able to tell the difference between standard and high-definition games is a stretch, to say the least. Don't get me wrong - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is a very pretty GameCube game, but it lacks many of the next-generation graphical bells and whistles and I think any seasoned gamer who owns an HD television will be able to see so.

And yet, Revolution games are going to be beautiful even if they don't run in high-definition resolutions. Really, one look at the current generation of titles is enough to make the point. If games like Resident Evil 4, The Chronicles of Riddick and Black have proved anything, it's that GameCube, PlayStation 2 and Xbox are very capable consoles that can produce some truly stunning visuals. Revolution will be more capable still and I'm expecting some breathtaking graphics from some of its powerhouse games.

One thing I've learned about some of my Xbox 360 games is that while the graphics are initially impressive, you eventually take them for granted, at which point gameplay returns to its rightful place as the most important factor. I'm finding that many of my 360 games look good, but play exactly like their predecessors. Fight Night. Need for Speed. Perfect Dark Zero. Project Gotham Racing 3. Cut away the prettier visuals and you're left with games that could have been made for Xbox. The gameplay is exactly the same. And this is partly why Revolution holds so much promise. The system's unique new controller may help both reinvent old genres and create brand new ones.

The Karaoke of Videogame Consoles
I've stopped thinking about Revolution as a typical next generation console and starting thinking about it as a vehicle for an innovative new controller. Based on developer reports, the Big N's next platform is set to be about twice as powerful as a GameCube, which is a leap, but not a quantum one. Fans still holding out for something more are likely to be disappointed. Revolution's size, which is at least half that of Xbox 360, should be a giveaway. After all, where technology is concerned, size oftentimes does indeed matter. Does anybody honestly believe that Microsoft wanted Xbox 360 to be as big as it is? The bulky size of the console practically guarantees it low sales in Japan. No, it's a big system because it had to be. Revolution, in contrast, is small because it can be.

Developers and publishers alike believe that Revolution could ship this November with a very attractive price tag. Some believe it'll be $199 and others predict that it could go for as low as $149, which would put it in near impulse-buy territory. This is part of Nintendo's strategy for the machine. Small, quiet and affordable. Something that sits in the living room, but doesn't dominate it. Even the controller has been designed to look like a television remote so that it's neither out of place on a coffee table nor daunting to someone unfamiliar with videogames.

We talk about the mainstream, but videogames have barely scratched the surface of what that really means. When Halo or Grand Theft Auto sell three million copies, we say they have mainstream appeal, and yet that figure is miniscule compared to how many sales a popular DVD may garner in a single day. Or, for that matter, how many people view a hit television show. Revolution is the first console targeting the real mainstream - the elusive gamer and the hardcore. Everyone from the person who played through Eternal Darkness three times to the 60-something grandfather who may have no understanding whatsoever of a traditional videogame.

I've come to believe that in this way Revolution is the karaoke machine of videogame consoles. It's technology, yes, but it's technology for everyone, not just a select few. The thing about karaoke is that it's not flashy. Nobody would rave about its audio quality. And at the same time, nobody gives a damn. It's fun. It brings people together. And everyone - regardless of gender, age or even skill - can enjoy it on some level. Nintendo's console encapsulates all of the same ideals, except it's also got flash and, unlike karaoke, it has cool factor.

Beyond Niche
I'm still dazzled by the high-definition graphics in some next-generation titles, but I'm much more excited by the prospect of Revolution's controller and the gameplay mechanics it will nurture. I pick up games now and I wonder how they might play better on Nintendo's new console. Just this morning, I was going through a level in the first-person shooter Black - a spectacular looking title that could easily run on Nintendo's new generation console - and wondering how much more intuitive the experience would be with the Revmote, as people have taken to calling it. I'm confident that Metroid Prime 3 will show everyone how it's done. And when that inevitably happens, will seasoned gamers look upon traditional dual-analog control as a dated and clunky configuration? I think the answer is yes.

I believe that Revolution is Nintendo's most ambitious console to date and I really think the company is on to something big. Certainly the DS proves that consumers are looking for something fresh. Revolution is that and more. The hardware is slick. The games will be there. The price point is right. And, unlike GameCube, Revolution is unlike any other platform in the market. I wouldn't make the mistake of categorizing the hardware as a niche endeavor. I think it's more mainstream - true mainstream - than any other videogame system ever. If Nintendo can capitalize on that, and I'm beginning to think it just might, the little console without high-definition graphics may be the system that everybody wants.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

^ If anything, the above is an interesting read.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

damn, this is pretty sweet!!!! to be able to play Golden Axe, Streets of Rage 2, Super SF2, etc on a next-gen system, without any modding!!! hmm...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060323/...MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-

Nintendo to Bring Older Games to Console

Thu Mar 23, 5:33 PM ET

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Nintendo Co. announced a partnership with former rivals Thursday intended to boost the library of downloadable classic video games for the company's upcoming Revolution console.

The agreement covers some of the more than 1,000 games made by Sega and Hudson Soft for the now-defunct Sega Genesis console and the TurboGrafx 16 system, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said.

The Revolution's planned "Virtual Console" download service was already expected to also play older Nintendo-made games like "Mario Bros" and "Zelda."

"No one else can match the environment we're creating for expanding the game experience to everyone," said Iwata, speaking at the Game Developer's Conference in San Jose. "Our path is not linear, but dynamic."

He did not discuss pricing, availability or other details.

Long before Microsoft Corp. and Sony Corp. entered the console business, the Genesis and TurboGrafx 16 systems competed with Nintendo's Super NES for video game dominance in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Sega eventually dropped hardware in favor of software. Hudson and NEC Corp. jointly developed the TurboGrafx 16, which had a strong showing in Japan but poor sales in the United States.

Sony unveiled its online strategy for its upcoming PlayStation 3 console Wednesday, saying it would offer new features ranging from video chat and voice communications over the Internet to the ability to purchase and download game or other entertainment content directly to the machine.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Race Director

Do you think Nintendo will make a comeback or will they end up like Sega?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Dayum...! I'm sold now! And if it's this cheap........
Old 03-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Do you think Nintendo will make a comeback or will they end up like Sega?
no way they will end up like sega. they absolyutely own the japanese market.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:30 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the nintendo DS is the top selling console in Japan. Nintendo just released the DS lite and cannot keep stock in the stores. Even if nintendo fails at the home consol market, they will always own the handheld market, especialy in japan. One problem i see is how many times can companies rehash old games before we get bored. There is a whole new legion of gamers that dont know Golden axe, Ghouls and ghost and other classics, and they dont give a damn either. Next gen, nintendo better get their shit straight because rehashing old games isnt going to cut it next time around.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
i bet they have a development team preparing for the next system as we speak... revolution should take care of them during this generation of console wars, but i bet they will be ready with something strong, yet reasonably priced to compete with Microsoft and Sony... they will also be gaining a even stronger fan base if revolution turns out to be as popular as it seems it could be...
Old 03-29-2006, 02:27 PM
intelligentsia

Sweet what about N64 games?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SRK85
Sweet what about N64 games?

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?...c-e5931b807091

In addition, Revolution will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).
Old 03-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Race Director

Now if only Sega, SNK, and NEC came back we'd a reunion of the battle reunion.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Just a counterpoint... for me, as a gamer, yes, it's nice to be able to play Genesis games, GoldenEye, Super Mario I, Super Tennis, etc. etc. etc. But, I can only play these old games for so long, before I start wondering why I'm playing em - especially if, say, I had an Xbox 360 or PS3 nearby. I mean, I love the old games and all, but I can only play em for so long. It will be a nice fix when you first see it, but I think it will lose its novelty factor very quickly...
Old 03-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Nintendo: Rev Games Under $50

Suggests the console's USB ports can be used with hard drives for additional storage.

by Matt Casamassina
www.ign.com

March 29, 2006 - In an interview with CNNMoney, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata spoke about Nintendo's position in the next generation market, and specifically about the company's forthcoming console, still-codenamed Revolution.

Although many new Xbox 360 games launch with a suggested retail price of $59.99, Iwata dismissed the possibility that Nintendo would follow suit with its first party Revolution games. "I cannot imagine any first party title [on Revolution] could be priced more than $50," he said. "I really don't think that there's going to be a lot of acceptance by current customers of the $60 price tag."
Nintendo's president further elaborated that simple, addictive games like Tetris might be offered through Revolution's virtual console, while "masterpiece" titles would more likely be distributed on physical discs.

Consumers can buy Xbox 360 with a 20 gigabyte hard drive and Sony recently announced that PlayStation 3, which launches later this year, will require a 60 gigabyte drive. Revolution, on the other hand, will feature only 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, to which downloaded games and other content can be stored. Nintendo at the Game Developers Conference 2006 announced that SEGA Genesis and TurboGrafx 16 titles can be downloaded to Revolution's virtual console.

Iwata told CNNMoney that Revolution users would be able to expand the system's 512MBs of internal flash memory with SD Cards, which can be plugged into the front of the console. SD Cards come in sizes upward of 8GBs. More interestingly, though, is what Iwata suggested to the publication, which is that because Revolution features two USB ports "… practically any storage method can be used." This comment would seem to indicate that users will, in fact, be able to hook up a hard drive to Revolution for significantly expanded storage.

Finally, the Japanese executive hinted that more virtual console partners were on board and would be announced at a future date. "A number of different publishers are now interested in participating in this virtual console system," he said. "As far as the details, though, I believe we will wait for another opportunity before discussing them."

Nintendo will launch its new generation Revolution console before Thanksgiving in America. The company plans to pull back the curtains on the machine, showing any secret features and playable games, at the Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles this May.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
intelligentsia

Fawking Saweet so I can play banjo-kazooie and Perfect dark on revoulution awesome.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Who am I?

bonks adventure and Keith Courage FTW!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Insiders stress that Revolution runs on an extension of the Gekko and Flipper architectures that powered GameCube, which is why studios who worked on GCN will have no problem making the transition to the new machine, they say. IBM's "Broadway" CPU is clocked at 729MHz, according to updated Nintendo documentation. By comparison, GameCube's Gekko CPU ran at 485MHz. The original Xbox's CPU was clocked at 733MHz. Meanwhile, Xbox 360 runs three symmetrical cores at 3.2GHz.

Revolution's ATI-provided "Hollywood" GPU clocks in at 243MHz. By comparison, GameCube's GPU ran at 162MHz, while the GPU on the original Xbox was clocked at 233MHz. Sources we spoke with suggest that it is unlikely the GPU will feature any added shader features, as has been speculated.

The overall system memory numbers we reported last December have not greatly fluctuated, but new clarifications have surfaced. Revolution will operate using 24MBs of "main" 1T-SRAM. It will additionally boast 64MBs of "external" 1T-SRAM. That brings the total number of system RAM up to 88MBs, not including the 3MB texture buffer on the GPU. By comparison, GameCube featured 40MBs of RAM not counting the GPU's on-board 3MBs. The original Xbox included 64MBs total RAM. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 operate on 512MBs of RAM.

It is not known if the 14MBs of extra D-RAM we reported on last December are in the current Revolution specifications.
Ouch.. Basically it appears that the Revolution will have power equal to the original Xbox. While the controller and BC are very impressive, I was hoping for better specs. It better be cheap.

Summary:
CPU- 729mhz
GPU - 243mhz
Ram - 88mb

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699118p1.html
Old 03-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
that 729 mhz processor may be a bit better than the celleron though,
just a thought, as the camecube graphics were said to be inbetween xbox and ps2 last generation.

50 dollar games though, woohoo!

Quick Reply: Nintendo: Wii news **Netflix Available (page 16)**