Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

IBM launches business computers based on game chip

Old 02-08-2006 | 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Now isn't this interesting... Microsoft proved you could incorporate PC technology straight into gaming consoles. Now Sony and IBM are set out to prove you can incorporate gaming console technology into PC's. Well damn, I think I found my next PC.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...BM-SERVERS.xml

Wed Feb 8, 2006 12:05 PM ET162

By Philipp Gollner

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - IBM, (IBM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) the world's largest maker of business computers, on Wednesday introduced new computing systems that it said extend the processing power of video-game microchips to corporate data centers.

The systems will open up new capabilities for businesses in the medical and military sectors, for example, as companies seek ways to use increasingly demanding and graphics-intensive computer applications, IBM said.

Driving the systems is the so-called Cell processor, developed by IBM, Toshiba Corp. (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) and Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) for gaming consoles including Sony's PlayStation 3, scheduled for release later this year. IBM is now installing the Cell in its "BladeCenter" computer servers, a compact way of building large data centers that run corporate networks.

International Business Machines Corp. of Armonk, New York, said the Cell-based network servers are aimed at extending the company's leading position in the corporate computing market. IBM had 32.3 percent of the worldwide server market in the third quarter and grew its revenue in that business by 10 percent from the year-earlier period, according to market researcher IDC.

IBM increased sales of blade servers 70 percent in the fourth quarter from a year earlier, said Douglas Balog, vice president of IBM's BladeCenter business.

"We see a commercial application for that Cell processor" in corporate data centers, Balog told Reuters. "Several customers approached us to take advantage of this highly graphics-intensive engine, which can render whole cities and landscapes on the fly."

The Cell chip already has found some uses beyond gaming, but the technology being introduced on Wednesday is meant to broaden the potential applications and customers, Balog said. IBM in June agreed to license the Cell processor to military equipment maker Mercury Computer Systems Inc. (MRCY.O: Quote, Profile, Research)

The new systems, called BladeCenter H, allow businesses to move 10 times the amount of data across their networks compared with existing systems, Balog said.

A blade is a thin computer system that can be quickly inserted and removed in a BladeCenter, a specially designed chassis in a corporate data center.

IBM on Wednesday also introduced a blade server computer with chips using dual-core technology, which lets users tackle multiple, intensive computing tasks simultaneously.

The server, called the BladeCenter JS21, also has built-in virtualization technology that allows corporate customers to add or partition massive amounts of computing, storage or networking capacity with a few flicks of a switch.
Old 02-08-2006 | 02:31 PM
The Creator

I thought it was always known the the cell processor wasn't made solely for gaming. Just so happened to be it's first commercial application.
Old 02-08-2006 | 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

yeah - I think I was just excited to read the news and hear an official announcement.
Old 02-08-2006 | 02:43 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I'm having trouble seeing what advantages the Cell Processor is going to bring to blade server products unless you cluster them into some sort of graphics powerhouse. Or maybe that's the point. Seems like a pretty narrow market if that's the case.
Old 02-08-2006 | 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

The Cell is slow for general purpose computing. IBM and Sony pitched it to Apple but Apple chose to go with Intel instead.

The Cell is useful for very specific mathematical functions which these blade servers utilize, but estimates are that a 3.2ghz Cell performs about on par with a 1.5ghz P4 for general purpose PC tasks.

The 7 SPE's (it has 8 but 1 is disabled for yields) in the Cell processor are basically DSP chips that are very fast for specific calculations or data streaming like media viewing, but the fact Cell is an In-Order CPU, and not OOE (Out of Order) like a P4, Athlon or Power5 processor, it is very slow for general computing.

Last edited by cusdaddy; 02-08-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2006 | 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

damn, somebody did some homework.
Old 02-08-2006 | 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by soopa
I thought it was always known the the cell processor wasn't made solely for gaming. Just so happened to be it's first commercial application.
That's pretty much the case, but it sounds cooler to say the machines are based on a gaming chip.
Old 02-08-2006 | 03:58 PM
Senior Moderator

and oh yea - I guess maybe it would be better suited for apps such as Mathematica - do ppl even use that anymore? or maybe like 3D modeling and rendering..
Old 02-08-2006 | 04:05 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
The Cell is useful for very specific mathematical functions which these blade servers utilize.
Says what? A blade server is the same as any other server. It's just in a physical form factor that has no internal storage, no network adapters (usually) , and no accessory bays.

Unless I missed something, I took a quick look at IBM's product page for their blade products and it looks as if they're targeting them in the same manner every other manufacturer of blade servers is.
Old 02-08-2006 | 04:14 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Nevermind, I did miss it. The info was sort of burried among the other product pages. Here's the link:

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pr...ease/19229.wss

These are indeed task-specific blade models within the entire "BladeCenter" product line.

Cusdaddy
Old 02-08-2006 | 04:29 PM
I'm back, biatch.

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
The Cell is slow for general purpose computing. IBM and Sony pitched it to Apple but Apple chose to go with Intel instead.

The Cell is useful for very specific mathematical functions which these blade servers utilize, but estimates are that a 3.2ghz Cell performs about on par with a 1.5ghz P4 for general purpose PC tasks.

The 7 SPE's (it has 8 but 1 is disabled for yields) in the Cell processor are basically DSP chips that are very fast for specific calculations or data streaming like media viewing, but the fact Cell is an In-Order CPU, and not OOE (Out of Order) like a P4, Athlon or Power5 processor, it is very slow for general computing.
Awesome, another computer architect on this board!
Old 02-08-2006 | 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Billiam
Nevermind, I did miss it. The info was sort of burried among the other product pages. Here's the link:

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pr...ease/19229.wss

These are indeed task-specific blade models within the entire "BladeCenter" product line.

Cusdaddy
NP. It's hard to find with the press releases they put out.

Just so I don't come off too negative, the Cell is an excellent processor and should suit the PS3 quite well (once developers figure out how to effectively utilize it). The PS3 has a lot of performance headroom, but I don't see this model of the Cell processor competing for our general PC usage.

Intel and AMD's roadmaps have processors in the future with similar designs to the Cell, (fast 1-2 core processors with multiple smaller specific-function processors) but they will be based off the X86 architecture and will have established OOE capabilities which will suit general processing tasks better.

In some ways, I believe the Cell is ahead of its time. They had to strip out the OOE features in order to allow the Cell to be a managable die size, but in doing so, they sacrificed ease of programming and general performance utilization speed.

The Cell processor is a great media processor, which is why Sony and Toshiba partnered with IBM. IBM is using the R&D learned from the Cell's development for their upcoming Power6 processor which like Intel's and AMD's future offerings, should be more appropriate for more general purpose computing tasks while also taking advantange of the Cell's strengths.

I'll get off of my soapbox now.
Old 02-08-2006 | 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

note to self: never argue with cusdaddy about CPU's.
Old 02-08-2006 | 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by srika
note to self: never argue with cusdaddy about CPU's.