Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

GT4: Official Thread

Old 03-23-2005 | 11:53 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally Posted by Doom878
Man I love El Capitan so much I might do the laps in A Spec. How many million laps is it?
66, takes a couple hours, have fun!
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:02 PM
Az User

quick question i bought rsx type-s as my first car, good or bad, and recomendation, i know in the last games thier were certian cars that you could use that would put up against better or lower class cars, if this is not a good pick for first i would like to know now so i can erase setting and start over before i get much further into game
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sipark
Do you mod your cars? I want to keep my cars in stock form, but sometimes it leaves me no choice.....

Bought an accord (TSX) to enter FF races, but holy shiet, this car gets pwned big time! So, instead of buying another car I wouldn't want to keep around, I had to mod it a little bit.

What's up with tire restrictions? None of my fancy cars can enter, so I had to buy a set of sports tires to enter the race.
I feel the same way about modding - I feel like I wanna leave the car stock... but then I find myself modding the hell out of it just so I can see what it can do @ the Ring.

Here is a trick to keep in mind. If there is a car you have that you have modded and you WISH you had it back to 100% stock, you can do it. Realize that the engine port and polishing, racing chip, weight reduction, and other such mods are permanent and cannot be reversed once you apply them.

OK - so here is what you do - put your backup memory card in slot 2, go to Home, and choose the "Trade" (this is deceiving, you are not actually "trading" cars with what you already have - you are BUYING a car from your other memory card). After you get it back into your garage on card 1, you will notice it is in 100% stock form. Just a little trick to keep in mind.
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MSZ
NSX Type-S handles better I think. Stock to stock.
I will challenge you, stock NSX Type-S vs. stock FD... I think it would be a good duel - both cars are a good match, but personally I think the FD handles better stock.

Might have to check out that Xlink connect sometime later... but I would need a network adapter first.
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GOOSE
First of all, GREAT THREAD. Skimmed through most of it. Tons of great info, without dealing with gtplanet.net.

Picked up GT4 yesterday. Fashionably late to the party cause I had to wait for spring break. Anyway, incredible so far. All I expected and more.

Add another addict to the list. I played about 10 hours today.

A few questions: Any updates on the memory card problems with game saves being erased? Should I get a new memory card, and if so, how do I make a backup copy of it?

Also, when you guys upgrade the suspension to sport or semi racing. do you leave it as is? Or do you guys tinker with the settings? I don't have any real world tuning knowledge whatsoever, so I don't know what settings to adjust. Do you guys just learn as you go along and test different settings out, or are there specific settings you immediately adjust?
Glad to hear you got the game and are enjoying it.. Like Doom said, the memory card error can happen at the auto-load of the game, but can also happen while saving a game. It has happened to people who have tried (for some reason) to remove the memory card while the game is saving. Don't try to mess with the memory card or game save while the game is running - if you want to copy it, do it from within the PS2 browser - as Doom said. Seems like GT4 just doesn't like its game save data messed with.

Regarding suspension - I'm convinced that the default setting when you buy the race suspension is not optimal. Sure you can run good laps with it, but you can run faster laps with some tinkering - by making the car handle better. But again as mentioned by Doom, this really depends on your driving style and how you like your car to feel. What feels good to me, may not feel good to you.

There are a few things I usually do with the default suspension setup. I soften the spring rates to about 1/2 the bar, lower the ride height to a few ticks above the lowest setting, soften shock bound and rebound by 1-2 ticks, increase front and rear camber by .2-.4, generally leave toe at 0 but adjusting that can help too with certain cars - and leave the stabilizers at about 75%. I set This is what I generally do first, and then I take the car out and see how it feels and make more changes if needed. I play with the ASM and TCS to my satisfaction - I generally don't leave ASM at zero because I think the car understeers too much and that is annoying. The ASM helps with that.
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03SSMTL-S
quick question i bought rsx type-s as my first car, good or bad, and recomendation, i know in the last games thier were certian cars that you could use that would put up against better or lower class cars, if this is not a good pick for first i would like to know now so i can erase setting and start over before i get much further into game
I haven't tried the RSX Type-S but I feel it is a good car to start with. It has good power and you should be able to win most of the beginner races with it, especially after some modding.

If you want to erase your game and start over, you have to do it within the PS2 memory card browser, you can't do it within GT4 - you can't overwrite a game from within GT4 either - don't try.

To get into the browser utility - turn off your PS2 and remove the game disc, and turn the PS2 on - go into BROWSER. Choose the GT4 game save data file and delete it.
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by srika
I feel the same way about modding - I feel like I wanna leave the car stock... but then I find myself modding the hell out of it just so I can see what it can do @ the Ring.

Here is a trick to keep in mind. If there is a car you have that you have modded and you WISH you had it back to 100% stock, you can do it. Realize that the engine port and polishing, racing chip, weight reduction, and other such mods are permanent and cannot be reversed once you apply them.

OK - so here is what you do - put your backup memory card in slot 2, go to Home, and choose the "Trade" (this is deceiving, you are not actually "trading" cars with what you already have - you are BUYING a car from your other memory card). After you get it back into your garage on card 1, you will notice it is in 100% stock form. Just a little trick to keep in mind.
sorry, this is kind of incomplete - I was typing too fast. After you choose Trade, it will take you to the listing of cars on your 2nd memory card - move the arrow to the car you would like to have stock again, and buy it. The car will be transferred to your main memory card, and you will now have 2 of the same car in your garage - one modded, and one 100% stock.
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:51 PM
Az User

I haven't tried the RSX Type-S but I feel it is a good car to start with. It has good power and you should be able to win most of the beginner races with it, especially after some modding.

If you want to erase your game and start over, you have to do it within the PS2 memory card browser, you can't do it within GT4 - you can't overwrite a game from within GT4 either - don't try.

To get into the browser utility - turn off your PS2 and remove the game disc, and turn the PS2 on - go into BROWSER. Choose the GT4 game save data file and delete it.
good i choose a decent car
yeah i had to go erase a bunch of old memory just to fit gt4s on my card, there were all kinds of old games i had rented or had not played in a while on there
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

good i choose a decent car
yeah i had to go erase a bunch of old memory just to fit gt4s on my card, there were all kinds of old games i had rented or had not played in a while on there
lol me too.. I was like DAMN, I haven't played THAT game in YEARS!!! it's funny because they were some games I'd put some time into unlocking things and whatnot, and in a blink, it was all deleted, without even thinking. Have to make room for GT4!!

Old 03-23-2005 | 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Man I want to buy a new tv just to see this in 1080i. I currently play in 480p on a Sharp Aquos 20 inch LCD tv.

I'm creaming at the idea of playing this on a 50 inch DLP in 1080i...
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rise
Man I want to buy a new tv just to see this in 1080i. I currently play in 480p on a Sharp Aquos 20 inch LCD tv.

yea I have been playing on a Sony 27" in "enhanced 16:9" mode (set on the TV) - and it looks great and I've enjoyed it - but I sure am looking fwd to playing it on 104" of HD projection... which will happen as soon as the theatre room is ready (again) - being remodeled.
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:15 PM
Az User

lol me too.. I was like DAMN, I haven't played THAT game in YEARS!!! it's funny because they were some games I'd put some time into unlocking things and whatnot, and in a blink, it was all deleted, without even thinking. Have to make room for GT4!!

yeah exactlly hours of tony hawk 3 gone, months of metal gear soild dont need that, dave mirra gone, ther were more but most of them were rentals.
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:24 PM
Cruisin'

on b-spec for endurance races, will it automatically go to the pit? when tires or worn out and or gas is empty?
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:26 PM
Cruisin'

and also does A spec count more towards game percentage than B spec?

do certain races count for more % since they are longer and harder?
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cloudnine
on b-spec for endurance races, will it automatically go to the pit? when tires or worn out and or gas is empty?
yep... just leave it going. the only thing is that 3x mode will turn off after the pitstop. kinda sux - would have been better if it stayed in 3x - but it's not too bad... especially if you're not even home and the tv is off.

srika
owned by GT4
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by rise

I'm no video phile, but playing it in 1080i on my 61" samsung DLP makes a difference.
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

and also does A spec count more towards game percentage than B spec?

do certain races count for more % since they are longer and harder?
the A-spec and B-spec pts have nothing to do with game complete percentage - the B-spec pts arguably do have something to do with it tho, since the more you have, the better your B-spec driver drives, and the easier you win the races and progress. A-spec pts mean nothing. I read over at GTplanet that after you get 7000 Bspec pts, your driver drives really well - doesn't ram other drivers when trying to pass, passes everyone cleanly and quickly. Don't know if this is true though. I have been stuck at ~5100 Bspec pts because I haven't been doing any of the challenging Bspec races where you have to sit and babysit the whole race because your car is at the same or just marginally better class than the other cars - I just want money lol. I think I will give a shot at getting more Bspec pts, when I get a chance.

You would think the longer races count for more %, but I don't think it works like that. For instance, I may complete one series of races that takes maybe, an hour. And I get 0.1% added to completion. I finish one of the 24hr races, and I get 0.2% added. Doesn't really make sense. Finish a few of the dinky manufacturer races, and you will see your % go up much more. Go figure.
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:35 PM
Cruisin'

hmm im at like 22.5%, so you sayin i would be better off doin manufacturer races to get to 25% quicker?
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

speaking of which, I just found out I had an extra CLK-GTR sitting in my garage that I hadn't sold, lol... quick 743k Cr, rawk, lol.
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

hmm im at like 22.5%, so you sayin i would be better off doin manufacturer races to get to 25% quicker?
yes - also do all the Easy Special Condition races... take a stab at the first 10 driving missions. You'll be there easily.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:03 PM
Drifting

Thanks srika and others for the tips.

What driving view do you guys play with? In GT3, I started with the outside the car view, and got used to it, so I always played like that.

With GT4, the angles seem a bit different, and I can't seem to play with the outside view.
I'm using strictly the in-car view with the hood showing. What about everyone else?
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

What driving view do you guys play with? In GT3, I started with the outside the car view, and got used to it, so I always played like that.

With GT4, the angles seem a bit different, and I can't seem to play with the outside view.
I'm using strictly the in-car view with the hood showing. What about everyone else?
great question, and one that I have been meaning to comment on for a while... I don't see any advantage to the external view - it is useless aside from being able to see your car - which is kinda cool sometimes. But the other two views - each has its good and bad points. It becomes a question of deciding which points are more important to you.

I use the "in-car" "bumper-cam" view. I have always used this view, since GT1. Here are the reasons why I prefer this over the "hood-cam" view - this is in direct comparison to that view - also applies to the external view though:

1) greater sense of speed
2) greater sense of suspension effects (namely, diving when braking)

To me, these two advantages alone make the GT4 experience so much more gratifying and realistic. IF ONLY this view was at driver's-eye level, it would be PERFECT. Who knows why the camera is set at the bumper, that sucks - it would be a great option in GT5 if you could adjust the view height of that mode - it should be easily possible, given how far Polyphony has gone with this game. If it was at eye level, you would be able to see the turns better and therefore it would be easier to drive, especially on tracks you don't know. Which leads me to the advantages of the "hood-cam" view...

1) since you can see the car, you can judge the apexes much easier
2) you can see more of the road, also helping you judge turns and drive better.

That being said, I would rather learn a track as best as I can in bumpercam view, to the point where I have memorized the track, than use hoodcam view. The two positives of bumpercam view outweigh the advantages of the hoodcam view.

Honestly I recommend you use bumpercam view - you can use hoodcam view to get accustomed to the track and learn all the lines - but bumpercam is much more satisfying to race with.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

lol just for fun I tried playing with external view.... @ the Ring........ what a nightmare, couldn't control the car worth a sh*t... at least you get to see the brake lights and backfire, that was kinda cool. but damn, it sucks.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Ok I just realized it's not a "hood-cam", it's a "roof-cam"... was hard to tell with a black car but I tried a silver car and it's clear. This sux. So, you either get a view of the road from as if you're sitting on the road, or, as if you're sitting on the ROOF. WTF??? How about a view where, oh I dunno, it's as if you're sitting.... IN THE CAR???

geez this is a grave omission... there should have been a damn in-car view, like, a real one at eye-level - it would have been so easy to implement.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:26 PM
Az User

I always use the bumper cam for all racing games the other views always mess me up
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:34 PM
Cruisin'

im at 24.1% and im doing 5 lotus classic races so that should put me up at 25% by the time im finished.

FINALLY!!!!
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:52 PM
Drifting

I actually think polyphony guys took a short cut by skipping on the driver's eye level view.. They would've had to add the interior details in the driver's view mode and they probably didn't want to model each car's interiors.

I think having a global interior model for every car would've made the game less realistic.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sipark
I actually think polyphony guys took a short cut by skipping on the driver's eye level view.. They would've had to add the interior details in the driver's view mode and they probably didn't want to model each car's interiors.

I think having a global interior model for every car would've made the game less realistic.
I mean they could have just had a view looking out of the windshield, that would have only required moving the view camera. I agree it would have been wayy too much to model the interior of each car.

Easy for us to say as non-game developers, right. Who knows what limitations they had to work with in reality...
Old 03-23-2005 | 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
40.2% complete. Super license acquired over the weekend. I LOVE the Formula Gran Turismo. Just the second of LeMans remaining in the Endurance races. The first 2 sections of Extreme events are done (including the GT World Championship).

Anyone else getting this little done in their outside life?
No doubt... anything even resembling an "outside life" has come to a halt since the release of GT4... it's honestly a bit sad. I knew this was going to happen. Does that make the situation better? No. Do I have any regrets? No.

GT4
Old 03-23-2005 | 03:22 PM
Safety Car

I just had a big scare!
about 40% done, just finished all the endurance races, damned PS2 crashed on the loading screen.
I reset it expecting to have corrupted save data, but no. it was okay, I just lost the last 2 races I completed. a pain in the ass yes, but not as bad as starting all over again!
Old 03-23-2005 | 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bullaculla
I just had a big scare!
about 40% done, just finished all the endurance races, damned PS2 crashed on the loading screen.
I reset it expecting to have corrupted save data, but no. it was okay, I just lost the last 2 races I completed. a pain in the ass yes, but not as bad as starting all over again!
damn... get an extra memory card and backup your data if you haven't done so already..!!
Old 03-23-2005 | 03:39 PM
Team Owner

Srika you never answered my questions but answered all 152312 of the others. Did you use FX45 or Rover concept for Truck races? I also commented on the ice racing but I won the Delta rally 400hp+ car in the Hard version of Amalfi. Is that better than the Raid?

I prefer external view to see the corners better. Problem with GT IMO is no peripheral vision. Can't tell how close to the side I am.
Old 03-23-2005 | 04:22 PM
I spend 2 much time here

I always use the bumper cam for all racing games the other views always mess me up
i'm all over the place with the bumper cam. i like the view where i cant even see the car the best.
Old 03-23-2005 | 04:23 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Ok I just realized it's not a "hood-cam", it's a "roof-cam"... was hard to tell with a black car but I tried a silver car and it's clear. This sux. So, you either get a view of the road from as if you're sitting on the road, or, as if you're sitting on the ROOF. WTF??? How about a view where, oh I dunno, it's as if you're sitting.... IN THE CAR???

geez this is a grave omission... there should have been a damn in-car view, like, a real one at eye-level - it would have been so easy to implement.

i think you should be able to switch on headlights two in shady streets in the day time.
Old 03-23-2005 | 04:39 PM
Cruisin'

do seccond place finishes count towards finishing up Professional events??

it says i have to finish all beginner and professional events before going on to the extreme hall and the Gran Turismo world championship.

are these second place finishes keeping me from "completing" the beginner and professional halls?
Old 03-23-2005 | 04:54 PM
I spend 2 much time here

do seccond place finishes count towards finishing up Professional events??

it says i have to finish all beginner and professional events before going on to the extreme hall and the Gran Turismo world championship.

are these second place finishes keeping me from "completing" the beginner and professional halls?
i'm pretty sure the answer is yes.
Old 03-23-2005 | 05:16 PM
MSZ
Lola

I will challenge you, stock NSX Type-S vs. stock FD... I think it would be a good duel - both cars are a good match, but personally I think the FD handles better stock.

Might have to check out that Xlink connect sometime later... but I would need a network adapter first.
I actually bought a network adapter 2 years ago because I heard "GT4 is going online". Fuck PD for an unfinished product.

I am just happy with what we have now.
Old 03-23-2005 | 05:18 PM
Teh ?

Online play would have nearly made this game perfect...

Can you imagine how crowded those rooms would be?

Junkster, who would join the Acurazine Championships
Old 03-23-2005 | 05:30 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by Junkster
Online play would have nearly made this game perfect...

Can you imagine how crowded those rooms would be?

Junkster, who would join the Acurazine Championships

glad they didn't do it. current hardware couldnt handle it.
Old 03-23-2005 | 05:38 PM
Teh ?

BTW... has anyone actually FINISHED the thing yet?

While in development, there were rumors that a motorcycle stage would be available (they tested bikes in real life)...

So, anyone have any info on that?

Junkster, who is curious

Quick Reply: GT4: Official Thread