Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Ghouls 'n Ghosts For PSP!

Old 09-02-2005 | 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Ghouls 'n Ghosts For PSP!

We need more types of these games! Now bring on R-Type and Gradius too!

===============

Ghouls 'n Ghosts Set For PSP
Capcom announces new portable entry in classic series.
by IGN Staff

August 31, 2005 - Capcom classic Ghouls 'n Ghost series is set for a revival, the latest issue of Famitsu reveals. The magazine is home to the unveiling of Goku Makaimura, a title that can be translated to English as Extreme Ghouls 'n Ghosts. And thank the makers -- specifically, director Tokurou Fujiwara, who's also considered the father of the series -- it's not a port!

Goku Makaimura is an all new entry in the series specifically designed for the PSP. The game makes use of a 3D graphics engine, giving depth to the visuals. Those who remember the original games (the last true entry appeared in 1991) will be pleased to learn that the PSP version still looks like one would expect of the series thanks to similar art direction.
Gameplay also retains the basic flavor of past titles, but adds plenty of new elements. Your goal is to work your way through side-scrolling stages, defeating enemies and using your best platforming skills. The game lets you build up your skills as you progress. You start off with just a basic jump, but eventually gain a double jump and even the ability to fly. You'll also earn lots of magic spells along the way. The game promises a greater number of spells and weapons than ever before.

New for Goku Makaimura is non-linear gameplay. You're no longer on a fixed path from start to end. The levels include branching points and even warp points. By using a warp point, you can warp back to previous levels and collecting items that you might have missed.

Capcom plans on showcasing a playable build of Goku Makaimura at the Tokyo Game Show, set to open its doors on 9/16. The game is currently without a final release date.
Old 09-02-2005 | 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

omg I loved that game... just hope they don't pull a Street Fighter 3 EX Alpha on it...
Old 09-02-2005 | 11:20 AM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Your goal is to work your way through side-scrolling stages,

?
Old 09-02-2005 | 11:57 AM
That's Racist

You can't beat that game unless you have some sort of codes or cheats. You just can't. I went through the whole game on easy with an emulator, where you could save your current state and reload it from where you were @.

Then I realized that if you're on easy mode they won't let you fight the last boss. What the crap.

I love that game. But all these old school side scrollers are god awful impossible to beat. ((Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3 included))

How did they honestly think that kids could beat these kind of games?
Old 09-02-2005 | 12:04 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Ive been playing the original snes and genesis versions on my psp with an emulator for a while now. and yeah that shit is hard.
Old 09-02-2005 | 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
You can't beat that game unless you have some sort of codes or cheats. You just can't. I went through the whole game on easy with an emulator, where you could save your current state and reload it from where you were @.

Then I realized that if you're on easy mode they won't let you fight the last boss. What the crap.

I love that game. But all these old school side scrollers are god awful impossible to beat. ((Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3 included))

Ninja Gaiden was not that hard. I finished them all...Super Ghouls and Ghosts was indeed a challenging series however.

If you want a throwback to old school insanity and difficulty, I suggest you try out Contra on the PS2...
Old 09-02-2005 | 12:56 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep

I agree. I had a god like day when I was about 12 where I was playing the arcade version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I went through every stage without dying...I WAS IN THE ZONE! 10 extra men...everything flowing just right, shredder had some real shit to deal with. THEN IT HAPPENED! I got to the last level where you have to fight white ninjas and white tigers and things come out the ground to poke you. 10 men went to 0 really fast...to this day I have never beaten that game and it still haunts me because I could taste it!
Old 09-02-2005 | 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I still remember the first time I beat Mike Tyson's Punch Out on NES. It was a great gaming achievment of mine. I'm also embarassed to say I have never beat Super Mario Bros. (the original NES one)
Old 09-02-2005 | 03:48 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by JesusJuice
I agree. I had a god like day when I was about 12 where I was playing the arcade version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I went through every stage without dying...I WAS IN THE ZONE! 10 extra men...everything flowing just right, shredder had some real shit to deal with. THEN IT HAPPENED! I got to the last level where you have to fight white ninjas and white tigers and things come out the ground to poke you. 10 men went to 0 really fast...to this day I have never beaten that game and it still haunts me because I could taste it!
that's what codes are for sir. ... unless you were actually playing the actual arcade.

Otherwise, it's like, up down left right A B B A or something.
^The universal code. good times.
Old 09-02-2005 | 04:26 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by pebecl97
I still remember the first time I beat Mike Tyson's Punch Out on NES. It was a great gaming achievment of mine. I'm also embarassed to say I have never beat Super Mario Bros. (the original NES one)
I didnt beat SMB until I was 18