Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

9.9.99, A Dreamcast Memorial

Old 09-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9.9.99, A Dreamcast Memorial

On September 9, 1999, Sega launched the Dreamcast, a powerful game
console whose specs placed it well beyond the capabilities of its contemporaries, the Sony PlayStation and Nintendo 64. It was the first entry in a new generation of hardware, one powerful enough to realize the ambitions that the best PS1 and N64 games had strived for but lacked the capacity to properly render. Its library earned great acclaim, and its U.S. launch was a masterpiece of marketing. Yet a little over a year later, Sega killed the Dreamcast. Or perhaps Dreamcast was already dead, and Sega simply turned off the machines that kept it wheezing along. On January 31, 2001, Sega announced the Dreamcast would be discontinued, and gaming lost a dynasty.

Sega had long stood as the ultimate rival to Nintendo, thanks largely to the heated contest between the Super NES and Genesis that dominated the early '90s. In fact, the rivalry stretched back even further: Each company had launched its own first home console -- the Famicom and the SG-1000 -- in Japan on the exact same day: July 15, 1983. This brought them into the home market right as the American console industry began to implode and put them at the vanguard of a Japanese-led revival that turned what could have been a short-lived fad into an entertainment fixture. And, of course, each had its own legacy of classic arcade games that predated their home machines.

Through the upheavals of the late '90s, as technological advances gave rise to 3D graphics and Sony came to dominate the industry with its PlayStation, Nintendo and Sega stood as bastions of the old guard. They remained a reassuring presence as challengers like 3DO and Philips struggled and failed to make a mark on the medium. Sega's announcement that the Dreamcast would be bowing out -- a mere 16 months after its U.S. launch! -- was therefore a blow to gamers who had grown up entranced by the company's 16-bit classics. In the '80s, Sega had supplanted failed console makers like Atari, Mattel, and Coleco. In the '90s, it had survived the threat of aspirants like SNK, NEC, and a reborn Atari. Now, 15 years later, it was at last joining the ranks of the departed.

On the whole, though, many gamers agreed that the change might actually be for the best. The Dreamcast had been outfoxed and out-marketed by Sony's efforts, especially the hypnotic thrall in which the promise of the PlayStation 2 and its Emotion Engine held both gamers and the gaming press. The Dreamcast's development cycle had been fraught with controversy, complications, and lawsuits. The cost of making and selling hardware was steadily rising. Yet at the same time, Sega's first-party Dreamcast titles were among the most varied, creative, and fun that the company had ever produced. Surely, once freed of the burden of trying to support a struggling machine, designers like Yu Suzuki and Yuji Naka and Tetsuya Mizuguchi would be able to express themselves without restraint.

The upside to Dreamcast's demise was perhaps best summed up by former Working Designs president Victor Ireland. Months before Sega pulled the plug on the machine, Ireland became a vocal advocate of the hardware giant's rumor move to third-party status. Despite his tumultuous past with Sega, he was quite positive about the prospect. "It's actually a good thing," he posted on the his company's message boards, "because now Sega will survive, doing what they do best: software. AND, that software will reach a huge installed base worldwide on [GameCube], XBox, and PS2. It's a change, yes. But I think it's a great change, because it means that Sega will SURVIVE."

ndeed, Sega has survived. But the company that exists today seems a dim shadow of the creative force that fueled the Dreamcast's brief but brilliant life. Most of the company's classic franchises survive only via compilations. The few that do make their way into contemporary releases generally disappoint; it's been years since long-time Sega fans took pleasure in a Sonic game, and the less said about Golden Axe the better. Outside of a few quiet cult classics in the making -- games like Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, and MadWorld -- the change to third-party status seems to have enervated Sega rather than energizing it.

In retrospect, though, could it have happened any other way? The Dreamcast was arguably the first casualty of a major shift in the gaming industry, one with even greater scope than the '90s-era transition from bitmaps to polygons. When the Dreamcast died, so too did the concept of videogames as the exclusive province of the hardcore. On January 31, 2001, the industry changed forever.

Cloud Nine-Nine-Ninety-Nine

When Sega launched the Dreamcast on September 9, 1999, the company focused its sights on the core gaming market with laser precision. Everything about the system's debut was perfectly tuned to be a hit among devoted gamers. Sega had learned hard lessons from the Saturn's poor reception in the U.S., and the company's canny executives -- namely, Peter Moore and Bernie Stolar -- took bold steps to wash away the failures of the Saturn and give Dreamcast a fresh start.

Where the Saturn had surprised gamers and retailers alike with an ill-advised exclusive stealth launch, Dreamcast was pinned to a single, easily remembered date: 9-9-99. Saturn had launched with three games, none of which were particularly remarkable. Dreamcast launched with 18, including critical darlings Sonic Adventure (the company mascot's long-awaited return to form) and Soulcalibur (a better-than-arcade-perfect fighting conversion). Saturn had been overpriced at $399. Dreamcast cost half that. The Saturn was promoted through a baffling array of oblique ads featuring bald heads. Dreamcast marketing relied on a direct promise of advanced power -- "It's thinking" -- strong visual branding, and a brilliant pre-launch promotion partnership that allowed eager gamers to rent systems from Hollywood Video in the months leading up to September.

Under the hood, too, Dreamcast was everything the Saturn wasn't. Where the 32-bit machine had been a rushed and awkward Frankenstein's monster of disparate, bolted-together tech and poorly documented parallel processors, the Dreamcast was built around a cleaner, more refined evolution of the Saturn's core and used a PowerVR-derived graphics card (an industry standard at the time) to render its 3D visuals. To further ease development, Sega teamed up with Microsoft to build a customized version of Windows CE into the system; this powered a number of low-cost games like Chu Chu Rocket and the free pack-in title, Sega Swirl.

In certain respects, the Dreamcast was a massive leap ahead of the entire industry. It was the first console to include a modem as a standard feature rather than as an expensive add-on (giving it an upper hand over GameCube, Xbox, and PlayStation 2 alike). It made use of the usual interchangeable memory cards for storage, though these included a built-in screen: The Dreamcast VMU, which beat Sony's similar PocketStation to market in Japan by half a year...and unlike PocketStation, it actually made its way out of Japan. While Nintendo touted GameCube-to-Game Boy Advance connectivity as a tremendous innovation, it had already been done by Dreamcast, which allowed gamers to link up a number of games with their counterparts on SNK's Neo Geo Pocket Color handheld.

Even more importantly, Dreamcast had power. Its hardware provided a massive leap in visual quality over the likes of PlayStation and Nintendo 64, a clear generational shift from the clumsy, sluggish 3D of its predecessors. Sonic Adventure featured action every bit as fast as its 16-bit predecessors, but in full, glorious 3D, and all at a snappy frame rate. Soulcalibur boasted graphics that far surpassed anything anyone had ever seen on a console. Shenmue placed gamers in a huge, open, immersive world long before Grand Theft Auto III arrived. Ready 2 Rumble brought graphics a few steps closer to the "interactive cartoon" ideal that had been gaming's holy grail since Dragon's Lair. Phantasy Star Online gave the cooperative net-based monster slaying of Diablo a sleek sci-fi patina. Jet Grind Radio was urban graffiti come to life. Even simple-looking 2D games like Mr. Driller were vibrant on Dreamcast thanks to the system's high resolution. For those who demanded the utmost fidelity from their visuals, Sega even provided a VGA adapter that gave the Dreamcast the ability to work on pricey RGB monitors.

The greatest asset the Dreamcast had in its favor, though, was its enormous stable of quality content. In just two years, Sega and a handful of third parties managed to produce an incredible roster of games for the console. Sega alone covered the entire spread of genres, from shooters to RPGs to music to adventures to puzzlers to good, old-fashioned action. Even without EA's support, Sega was able to provide sports players top notch experiences through its 2K Sports titles. Practically everything a Sega fan could ever want was available on Dreamcast, and the system's library easily held its own against the PlayStation -- no small feat, as Sony's console was flush with masterpieces in the prime of its life.

Much of the credit for the incredible quality of Sega's output is likely due to the company's ambitious restructuring, which placed many of its strongest designers in what were effectively independent studios. Overworks, AM2, Sonic Team, United Game Artists: Each of these separate divisions was headed up by the company's key personnel, and each produced unique output that defined the Dreamcast as a haven for unbridled creativity. Sega's developer-oriented structure gave rise to games as different as Shenmue and Space Channel 5, as diverse as Crazy Taxi and Seaman -- the latter delivering ten years ago on a lot of what Microsoft promises to do with Milo.

Ten years ago, America enjoyed an amazing launch for an amazing system. Sega of America president Moore called it the biggest 24 hours in entertainment history, and the system's debut was estimated to have pulled in $40 million on launch day. Initial reviews were strong, and early sales were brisk. So how is it that less than a year later industry insiders were talking about Sega's as-yet-unannounced shift to development and publishing only as if it were a sure thing?

Enter PS2

Dreamcast's failure was the result of many factors, but by far the most significant of these was the sheer juggernaut power of the Sony's PlayStation 2.

The original PlayStation won over older gamers who had outgrown the classic kid-friendly franchises of Nintendo and Sega. At the same time, it also inducted an entirely new generation of gamers, fresh faces for whom 2D gameplay seemed as simplistic as Atari 2600 visuals had looked to the NES generation a decade before. "PlayStation" became synonymous with gaming, just as "Nintendo" had been in the '80s. For PlayStation fans, Sony represented the cutting edge: Resident Evil, then Final Fantasy VII, then Metal Gear Solid, then Gran Turismo. Understandably enough, when Sony promised its next system would have the power of a supercomputer, fueled by a chip so powerful it had its own emotions and was capable of generating lifelike visuals, gamers hung on their every claim.

Dreamcast may have been a demonstrable generational leap when it arrived in 1999, but its reality was no match for the fantasy that Sony was selling. Sure, everyone would have to wait an extra year to experience it, but all those demos made the PS2 seem like an impossibly powerful super-machine from the future. First there were the ducks; then the Square demos of ballroom dancing and wrinkly old men; and finally came Metal Gear Solid 2's E3 2000 debut. If there were any doubts that the PS2 would be the greatest system ever made, the MGS2 demo allayed them with ease. Next to exploding watermelons and the prospect of battling unshaven Russian women in the rain, how could the plain-looking Shenmue hope to compare? And so, gamers held back for the PS2. The fact that the PS2 would be one of the most affordable DVD players on the market certainly didn't hurt, either.

While it would be easy to point an accusatory finger at Sony and blame them for killing the Dreamcast by overselling the PS2, though, there's a certain level of intellectual dishonesty in such a stance. The fact of the matter is that Sega had done a lot of Sony's work for them with a series of poor decisions that began late in the Genesis era and continued to dog the company throughout the Saturn's erratic lifetime. The company's poor U.S. support for hardware like the Sega CD, the 32X, and the Saturn made gamers gun shy. Many consumers felt burned after investing in expensive Sega machines and finding the resulting libraries comparatively lacking next to the competition's, and the Dreamcast was regarded in certain quarters with open distrust. Sony, on the other hand, had done an amazing job with the PlayStation. Given a choice, most gamers went with the safe bet.

The zeitgeist of the era is probably best encapsulated by Electronic Gaming Monthly's huge Dreamcast launch feature, which was predicated on a simple question: Should you buy a Dreamcast, or wait for a PlayStation 2? Ultimately, EGM found much to like about Sega's machine and encouraged gamers to take the plunge. Yet the angle from which they approached their coverage makes it clear that they were simply voicing a common question. And, unfortunately, not everyone took their advice. Sony had so expertly built up capital with gamers -- and Sega had so recklessly squandered their own -- that the PS2 went on to become the best-selling console of all time. And that's despite a miserable launch!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
wut.

Dreamcast was the shiet..
Old 09-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh never had one so I guess I dont know what I missed out on
Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Still have it...still love it. Great console...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:49 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i bought and played soul caliber 4 in 2008 i think. it didn't look that much different from soul caliber 1 on the dreamcast in 1999 considering there is a 10 year gap in between the games.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
man i miss crazy taxi
Old 09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,117 Likes on 6,107 Posts

Never had one but played it a couple times. I just remember crazy taxi, shenmue and virtual tennis (game looked good).
Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by silva-type-s
man i miss crazy taxi
+1
Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Pro

Still got my bought a stack of Data disk and went to rom burning town!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
One of the guys I was rooming with in college at the time rented one and the Sonic game from Blockbuster the day it came out. We played that thing non-stop for the five days we had it. It was a great machine, and way ahead of its time.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
memories of college.

good read. thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I remember that fish raising thing lol.. god damn those were the days..
Old 09-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
what was that game with the gems and fighting? that was the shit!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Still have mine with the arcade stick for Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2. Also have Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 and 2.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
what was that game with the gems and fighting? that was the shit!
Power Stone
Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dreamcast would have existed much longer had they just implemented a DVD player into it. That was the only reason PS2 killed them in sales, especially in Japan where it mattered the most.

By the way I had a Dreamcast, it was an awesome console, the 2K sports games were great and MvC an perfect arcade sim.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
I love my Dreamcast, although it is starting to go out (expected after 10 years). I have to flip it upside down for it to work. It was my only console until I bought a PS3 a few weeks ago.

Three must play games are Chu Chu Rocket, Typing of the Dead, and MvC2

Oh and don't forget NesterDC. Every single NES game all on a single disk.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Never had one, but after Sega became a 3rd party game developer, I bought a ton of Sega Dreamcast games ported over for the Gamecube. Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2, Sonic Adventure and SA2, especially were all awesome games.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
I was a proud owner of one even though all of the kids in my neighborhood made fun of me for it. I loved it
Old 09-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
oh man, tokyo xtreme racer was my favorite game for the dreamcast.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
^I had that one as well. Come to think of it, I had like 3 games for that thing.

I eventually got rid of it for an Xbox. I couldn't resist Halo anymore
Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
Dreamcast was the only console that I bought on launch day. Those were good days. I think the thing that killed it was the controller, it's not even close to the PlayStation controller.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
Oh man, I loved the Dreamcast. The first time I saw floating snowflakes in NFL2K--I was sold. In fact, I still believe that NFL2K and 2K1 on the Dreamcast are still two of the best console football games ever.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Worst D-pad ever. I had to buy the stick to play the fighting games.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Still have one.. Still hooked up.. My wife and I always play Virtua Tennis.. Love that game.