How could I beat this tint ticket in Chicago??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How could I beat this tint ticket in Chicago??

So i parked my car out on the street in Chicago. When i came back to my car, there were 2 orange pieces of paper stuck to my window. One ticket was for no front license plate and other one was for my 35% "legal" tint. I have a hearing for both of these tickets on the week of April 25. All i want to know is how could i beat the tint ticket. These are the facts.

-I have a copy of the Illinois State Law that states 35% tint is legal.
-I'm going to take a picture that shows that I am still visible in the car even with the tinted windows.
-I am also going to state that I live in the Morton Grove area and not in the Chicago Area.
-I am also going to get a receipt for the 35% tint.

I think i have enough information so i could win the case. But a lot of other people told me that all the information i got will still make me lose the case. All im asking is for some advise. How should i go about winning this case in court? i really dont feel like paying $250 for something that is legal. Thanks in advance
Old 04-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Go contest the ticket. sometimes the judge will dismiss a ticket. i have always contested the ticket and i get mine thrown out b/c the cops writes the ticket wrong or some sort.

also what i do is take pictures of them removed.

chicago don't care about the law just so you know. but some judges are cool like that and they will dismiss it...

don't pay until you fight...
Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

Originally Posted by RL Chi-town
Go contest the ticket. sometimes the judge will dismiss a ticket. i have always contested the ticket and i get mine thrown out b/c the cops writes the ticket wrong or some sort.

also what i do is take pictures of them removed.

chicago don't care about the law just so you know. but some judges are cool like that and they will dismiss it...

don't pay until you fight...
So you're basically saying just show the judge a picture of my car with no tints in the front windows, and tell them "the officer probably thought my windows were tinted because of my black interior."? Tell how should i go about contesting this ticket. I really don't wanna pay 250 to the city for something that is legal.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

That's what I do all the time. Not the brightest thing to do. Bit that is what I do and never have to pay for one penny. I tell the judge about the law and then I say your honor I have removed my tints and no longer have tints. She looks at my pics and bam no fee. But that is what I do.

Just saying
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive gotten 2 tickets while parked in Chicago. I contested them by mail.

The first time, I wrote them saying that my car was parked in a dark area of the street(it was night) and that my car is black and my interior is black(which it is not) and that made the tint look darker than it really is. I found a picture of the 4G TL on the internet with "legal" 35% tint so I can use that as evidence. I sent them that picture and a photo copy of a reciept showing I got 35%. That ticket was dismissed.

The second time, it was day light out. I basically wrote the same thing as the first time but instead of being night time, I told them that it was a gloomy and cloudy day and that my tint look darker than it really is. I also sent the same picture and same reciept. This was a little more than a month ago so I'm hoping they dismissed this one too.

Now remember, I have 5% tint all around so I figured that I would at least try to lie about it rather than pay the $250. Its not gonna hurt to try
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

^you see i am not the only one who lies lol...

Our state law doesn't help us who live in chicago... Chicago has there own Ordinance Law and its piece of crap rule...
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

hahahaha both stories make sense. But then again, why lie for something that is legal (in my case, not for you guys). I asked tinteduptls (the guy who did my tints) what to do and he said to call a couple police departments and ask if they could measure the tint and write a letter saying its a car with legal tint, then i just show that to the judge a long with: a copy of the law, a side view picture of my car, and a receipt.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

my tints are also legal... but they don't listen... chicago don't care about the law homie... just saying...

i had fronts removed, and the rears done. and i still got a ticket sir!

went to court and got my ticket thrown out b/c the officer wrote the ticket wrong...
Old 04-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

wow now im confused. So you think with all the information i got they still won't dismiss it?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Don't know how they can give you an illegal tint ticket if it is legal. if they didn't measure it, just bring a recipt to your trial and offer to have it measured.
The following users liked this post:
Type-ES (01-22-2012)
Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

Im tweaking about all of this due to this video:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...-92929004.html
Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM
The TINT CEO

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
i told you, be careful where you park in the city. sucks you didn't even have your windows tinted for a week and you got a ticket. hopefully it works out.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Originally Posted by ChiCity
wow now im confused. So you think with all the information i got they still won't dismiss it?
with the information you got! most likely no!

i would go with my excuse... but hey you do what is right by you...

i do it all the time and not once did i pay...
Old 04-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not a lawyer but if an Indiana guy comes to Chicago with no plate and tinted windows he doesn't get a ticket. Is your car registered in the suburbs? I would think that as long as you are registered outside the city and can prove your tint is within the law you'd be good. Good Luck.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Racer

Speaking of tint tickets, I just got pulled over for tinted windows in the city driving back to my clinical site with my co-workers by an undercover tahoe. Good guy, he let me go. Of course, my co-workers were laughing at me lol.....this just happened about 10 mins ago.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

unmarked cops are cool.. they just pull you over b/c they suspect you are someone else. when they check your background they let you go...
Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RL Chi-town
my tints are also legal... but they don't listen... chicago don't care about the law homie... just saying...

i had fronts removed, and the rears done. and i still got a ticket sir!

went to court and got my ticket thrown out b/c the officer wrote the ticket wrong...
chicagos law on tint is stricter than the Illinois law. so they can give u tickets if u live in chicago or any where out side chicago (but still in state) and are in chicago at the time of teh ticket. but if ur out of state, they cant give u a ticket for tint (regardless if its legal or illegal in the state that ur car is registered in)

good luck in court
Old 04-11-2011, 03:42 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Well Chicago thinks they can basically get around state law by using this bullshit called HomeRule, but eventually state law will almost always superceed city law.

Just have a copy of the new state law for tints and show it to the judge since you have a receipt for 35% tint, I am sure they will throw that ticket out.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 AM
Ultra Negro

Originally Posted by 2010_TL
Speaking of tint tickets, I just got pulled over for tinted windows in the city driving back to my clinical site with my co-workers by an undercover tahoe. Good guy, he let me go. Of course, my co-workers were laughing at me lol.....this just happened about 10 mins ago.
Are you black?, I never get pulled over unless a cop just really wants to ask me what type of car I have be cause my 3.2cl badge came off. And surprisingly I do not have tints on my car....LOL
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
Are you black?, I never get pulled over unless a cop just really wants to ask me what type of car I have be cause my 3.2cl badge came off. And surprisingly I do not have tints on my car....LOL
Lol no I'm not black, but my car is black with limo tint. I'm Palestinian.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
Well Chicago thinks they can basically get around state law by using this bullshit called HomeRule, but eventually state law will almost always superceed city law.

Just have a copy of the new state law for tints and show it to the judge since you have a receipt for 35% tint, I am sure they will throw that ticket out.
Im thinking about just telling them that i took the tints off. My exact plan would be something like this…Go to the cops in another suburb so they could measure my tint. and take a picture of the meter. And then get a receipt from a friend that works at a car/audio place saying that i removed the tint. And in the end showing the picture and receipt to the judge. "Your honor, I had legal tints but i'd rather pay 80 dollars to remove the tint than pay 250." and BAMM!! I WIN!! damn i feel like i'm James Bond. And i hope my plan executes perfectly
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
With the stuff you stated you'd bring I think that's enough to throw it out. There's a 5% variance for the 35% tint law so if you got a meter reading and it's not below 30% then I think that'll be enough for the judge to throw it out.
Either way, if you're legal, you're legal, they can't hold you accountable if your tint is within the legal limit. Chicago cops just dont care and will ticket you anyway. Half the time people are not going to contest it so they make money on those who just pay the fine(s).
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any update on this?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

As of right now, no. I don't even have my car yet(at the body shop), i should be getting it back today though. Let me tell you guys whats another fuck up. I have another court date in Downer's on the same day as my tint and license plate ticket. So this would be interesting how this would work out...
Old 04-15-2011, 03:02 AM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

If anyone is cool with any cops that would measure my tint for me, i would greatly appreciate it
Old 04-15-2011, 03:06 AM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

Originally Posted by CL-Future
With the stuff you stated you'd bring I think that's enough to throw it out. There's a 5% variance for the 35% tint law so if you got a meter reading and it's not below 30% then I think that'll be enough for the judge to throw it out.
Either way, if you're legal, you're legal, they can't hold you accountable if your tint is within the legal limit. Chicago cops just dont care and will ticket you anyway. Half the time people are not going to contest it so they make money on those who just pay the fine(s).
You would think it works like that, but Chicago goes off of something called "Home Rule". Here's a video that talks all about the tint law:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...-92929004.html
Old 04-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
so can you at least have all the rear windows tinted without getting a ticket??
Old 04-22-2011, 05:01 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
yes. if the front windows arent tinted u can have what ever % tint u want in the back
Old 04-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

You could even paint the rear windows if you want. As long as the front windows aren't tinted.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:08 AM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

I went to court yesterday, and for all of you guys that are wondering the outcome...I had to pay a fine for no front license plate ($50) and as for the biggest issue (tints) it got dismissed. I didnt show any evidence or it either. The judge said "there are some technical issues with the law, sooo this ticket will be dismissed". In the end i was happy and relieved. Hope this helps for you guys with future tint tickets.

Oh and i went to the Secretary of Chicago on Addison st.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Chicago will be getting itself into a nice class action lawsuit real soon. I am glad the CPD has stopped all the killing, robberies and other crimes so they can focus on window tints. I feel so much safer.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:18 AM
UA6 NPB!!!!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
for my front license plate. what i did is i took my old bracket and smashed it up a bit. took a picture of my old bumper where someone hit me and just showed him that. hehe got off from the ticket. just kinda shook his head and was like get it fixed. For my tint ticket I just told him I go to school out of state. blah blah blah about how my car gets so how because its in the middle of no where and he really just didnt care. soo yeah as long as its not like jet black they really dont care.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Cruisin'

i know this is kinda late but I dont see how the cops can get an accurate reading with out the windows being rolled half way down, because as far i know the things they use to test the tint has to be on both sides of the window unless they have some sort of new technology.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
The deal with the law is that home rule can over-ride sections of the uniform vehicle code, but not the section that the tint law is in. I wish they'd get rid of home rule in so many ways. It causes tons of problems for people living in cook county.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah chicago is gay as fck they are just money hungry fckrs.

personally i had 35% front and 5% on my gst and 4 tickets for the tint ;/ i fought them and i won all of them but i was very close to loosing one. i still dont understand how is it possible that city law is above state law :/

now i got no tint on front caz i got no time for this law bs.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
There is a thread on JDMC where someone is looking for people who have gotten tint tickets in Chicago to get them to stop.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:14 AM
Jokerman

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I am so glad that I have A Florida plate. I dont have to worry about front plates to distract from the look of the car and no one bothers me about my 5% all around. I even just got my replacement windshield tinted and once I told them that I did not have Illinois plates, they would do whatever I wanted, Including tinting the top half of the windshield with 5%. God I love Florida.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear

So I just Got my Type S and I bought mine with 30% Tint all around. I have out of state plates (actually just temporary plates)now. Will I get a ticket in Chicago too? I live here, but I ALWAYS register my car in my home state, simply because Illinois law is just difficult! I don't have any city stickers, nor do I have a Illinois ID.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Ultra Negro

Best thing I can say if you live in the burbs, don't go to chicago, my cousin has been to court 5 times because he has 75 percent tint up front,a nd its just ridiculous at this point, he says he isnt going to the city anytime soon....lol
Old 01-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
^Uhh, is 75% even an option these days? That's almost no tint at all. Even 50-55% is very light. Not to mention 35% or higher is legal in IL....why does he keep getting tickets?

Quick Reply: How could I beat this tint ticket in Chicago??