Yakima vs. Thule vs. trunk-mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:09 PM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yakima vs. Thule vs. trunk-mount

I am looking for anyone who has experience with rack systems. I'm a mountain biker (I've got an '07 Giant Anthem 2) and am in need of a carrying system for my RL. I was originally thinking about getting a roof-mount system, but am having second thoughts. I thought it would be handy for a bike rack, ski rack, and whatever else. If I go this route, I'm worried about scratches with the mounting system, and just scratching my roof while trying to get the bike up there. And how about brand preference? Yakima or Thule? Or just go with best price?

Then there's the trunk-mount rack. If I'm going to get a trunk-mount bike rack, I'm getting the Saris Bones 2. It's less expensive than a whole roof mount system, but I still have the same basic worries (scratching the paint, etc). Further, if I'm going on a trip, getting into the trunk will be a pain in the butt.

Anyone with experience in this area? What's the best route?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Trunk mounts are cheap but pretty ghetto. To avoid scratches we'd stick a sock onto the mounting strap/hook or stuff a piece of paper. I'd also check up on it every time you stop, it has a tendency to get loose, should be fine but I'd check it once in a while anyway.

Never tried the Yakima or Thule bike mounts, Thule snowboard racks are good though.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Trunk mounts are cheap but pretty ghetto. To avoid scratches we'd stick a sock onto the mounting strap/hook or stuff a piece of paper. I'd also check up on it every time you stop, it has a tendency to get loose, should be fine but I'd check it once in a while anyway.

Never tried the Yakima or Thule bike mounts, Thule snowboard racks are good though.
Agreed on the trunk mount. I've used them and they can scratch your paint as well where the feet sit and the staps clamp against the trunk. This was the last trunk mount bike rack I had, the Saris Bones.

While carrying my mountain bike to a trail one day, the arm cracked which caused my bike to drop to the road. I was on the highway at the time going about 60 mph. The bike bounced and skidded off the road while I slammed on my brakes and stopped on the side of the road. My front rim was bent so my moutain biking day was over. I took the wheels off the bike and squeezed into my backseat and went back home. Saris did replace the broken arm but I never trusted it again and bought a Yakima roof mount.

The Yakima never failed me. The feet did end up scratching the paint on my car but not so deep that the scratches could not be removed. I used a fork mount, i.e. take the front wheel off and the bike is held in place by clamping down the front fork at the axle mount location. The only thing that ever made me nervous was when I would put my bike on the roof rack the the sunroof was directly under where the axle mount was. I always feared missing the axle mount and my front fork falling on my sunroof and cracking the glass. Never happened but that was my only worry.

If you want a way to carry your bike without the fear of scratching your paint I recommend you get a hitch mount system.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:04 PM
has been here awhile

Did you check out Thule racks? What's the real difference between the two brands? Why did you get a fork mount? I have had my heart set on the Yakima High Roller which does not require me to take off the front wheel...
Old 03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I just went into my local bike dealer and bought the Yakima - didn't compare the Yakima to the Thule. I used the fork mount because after my Saris Bones broke, I went in to the place I bought it from to have them warranty the broken arm and to buy a new wheel and I walked out with a new Gary Fischer dual suspension:

Because the frame mounts didn't work on a bike with this type of frame (atleast from what I remember back then) the fork mount was my only option.

By the way, the bike with my wife in the pic bove was the one that fell off of the Yaris Bones (pic taken years later).

Last edited by 65 Fury Convert; 03-03-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Finally out of Kentucky

I went with the Thule roof rack for my IS350. Some one told me that the shape of the Thule rails result in less wind noise than the Yakima (I'm not really sure if that's true). I would say that it's a toss up between Yakima & Thule.

As far as the bike rack goes, I went with Rocky Mounts. It's all I ever see when I'm in Colorado.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by Poindexter
I went with the Thule roof rack for my IS350. Some one told me that the shape of the Thule rails result in less wind noise than the Yakima (I'm not really sure if that's true). I would say that it's a toss up between Yakima & Thule.

As far as the bike rack goes, I went with Rocky Mounts. It's all I ever see when I'm in Colorado.
This looks like a nice setup. Do you leave the rack system on all the time? How does it treat the paint? And how about the weather seals?

Again, I see another preference for fork mount. Any reason you went with the fork mount (other than it's all you've seen)?

I think I'm sold on a roof mount...just gonna go for whatever is less expensive. Thanks for the opinions and help...keep em coming.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Finally out of Kentucky

I usually leave the rack on all the time except for winter (e.g. when I decide it's too cold to ride). I had it on for about 10 months last year and when I took it off for the winter the scratches were minimal. Nothing significant. Maybe a dozen scratches, total, that look similar to swirl marks. But I'm not too concerned with them. I figure that I'll buff it out in a few years if the rest of my paint still looks good.

No impact to the weather seals. You would think that after opening and closing the doors a couple times a day for a year that it would show some wear. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I just preferred the fork mount. I didn't check the details of the other options, but I wanted to be able to lock my bikes onto the rack, lower the clearance as much as possible, have the sturdiest mount, plus not be too bulky to install and remove. I guess I just decided that the fork mount worked best for what I was looking for. One of my friends said that the fork mount makes your bike more aerodynamic, but I have a hard time believing the significance of that statement.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:25 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I've only sold Thule racks but have dealt with Yakima on a repair basis. Both are great - it just depends if you want rectangle load bars or circle load bars.

As for trunk mount, take your time with the fitting. It is possible not to scratch the paint but the trunk always has to be clean and care has to be taken with the install. Overall I would avoid a trunk mount if possible - although the horror stories aren't as common.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
On a sidenote, if you have a trunk mount, say goodbye to your rearward visibility if you carry multiple bikes. You'll need to rely on shoulder checks and the side mirrors. Not too bad if you just keep going straight though. After reading other responses I'd go with a roof mount too

Here's whats similar to what I used, except it fit onto a sedan, same thing, padded on the contact area to the bumper, and it angled upwards and away from the car instead of straight out. No horror stories from me though, used it like 7-8 times before we had to put it away for winter.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I would get the roof mount or a trailer hitch style <-(what i use)
Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Pro

also depends on how far you drive with the bike on. I looked into the thule roof mount, but it got pretty expensive, then I considered getting a hitch added to the car and getting a hitch mount, but that quickly got expensive too. I have multiple cars, I kind of wanted something I can switch from car to car, which meant I'd have to get multiple hitches added.....
I was tired of taking both wheels off the bike to go riding so I picked up the saris bones as a temporary solution. Its pretty good, you have to tighten the lines a few times, and have to clean the bumper where the saris feet touch very thouroughly to avoid scratches. No matter how tight I make it, I can always see the bike and rack moving somewhat, which made me very uncomfortable at first, but I only drive a few miles to the trails, on local roads, so I didnt think it was much of an issue. I wouldnt recomend it for long distances, multiple bikes or getting on the highway though.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Moto Enthusiast

I have a Yakima roof rack to haul snowboards for my '05 RL.They typically have rubber pads on the contact points to hold everything in place and to prevent scratches. Of course, the possibility of scratching is always out there. I don't really like the trunk racks, unless they're the type that fastens below the bumper, kinda like a tow hitch. In terms of Yakima or Thule, they are pretty comparable, and you really can't go wrong either way. I'd say go with whoever has the best pricing.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by taitando
I have a Yakima roof rack to haul snowboards for my '05 RL.They typically have rubber pads on the contact points to hold everything in place and to prevent scratches. Of course, the possibility of scratching is always out there. I don't really like the trunk racks, unless they're the type that fastens below the bumper, kinda like a tow hitch. In terms of Yakima or Thule, they are pretty comparable, and you really can't go wrong either way. I'd say go with whoever has the best pricing.
Excellent. Gonna get the Yakima over spring break with their Sprocket Rocket bike attachment.

Thanks for the help!

BTW--taitando, you have more pics of your RL with the rack?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 AM
has been here awhile

Update

Well, over spring break I checked out roof-mount racks in person at REI. While this seems like a good option, I'm not convinced. Besides, I'm afraid a roof rack is going to look pretty darned ridiculous on top of my RL. For the money, I'd want to feel good about the purchase and I was not comfortable with the roof mount.

I was over on Club Lexus and discovered the Saris Bones 3 RS. Now, this is not the average Bones trunk-mount. I have heard nothing but great things about this trunk mount. What sets it apart is that it has only two ratcheting straps and I have repeatedly read that it is as secure as a roof-mount.

Here's the Club Lexus thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337336 along with photos and descriptions on Saris' site: http://www.saris.com/p-301-bones-rs.aspx

While not cheap ($270 retail--found it for $214 including shipping online) it's still savings over the $400 or so for the whole roof mount system.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
I'm afraid a roof rack is going to look pretty darned ridiculous on top of my RL.
and you DON'T think it would look rediculous with a hitch mounted rack or even worse... a trunk mount?

trunk mounts are for people who have rusted out 88 cutlas cierra's, hitch mounts are for SUV's.

thule or yakima, just go with the best deal you can find... they're basically both the same things.

i've used yakima raptor grip bike mounts and they worked very well and were pretty cheap... check um out.

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...tm_term=202085
Old 04-09-2008, 01:33 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by TSX Wisc Badger
and you DON'T think it would look rediculous with a hitch mounted rack or even worse... a trunk mount?

trunk mounts are for people who have rusted out 88 cutlas cierra's, hitch mounts are for SUV's...
Saris Bones 3 RS is pretty slick looking. Check out my link to the Club Lexus post--there's a great pic of a 2006 GS with one on. I really don't see someone putting a $270 trunk mount on their rusted out Cutlasses. From the reviews I've been reading, there are a couple of 3er owners who use them and can't say enough good things about the rack.

Best part, I can leave it off when I don't want it on (more often than not) and it's going to be easier to remove and install.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:49 AM
B A N N E D

yeah but when its on... looks like shit. and no they dont spend $270 on them but still, $270 saris or $49.99 from walmart... they all basically look the same

plus you risk it damaging your trunk and also your bikes possibly slamming into the back of your car if you break too hard.

i still gotta say go top mount or just use your pass though and put um in the trunk and back seat
Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Pro

what about a hidden hitch? Never shows when the bike rack is not attached, who cares how it looks when the bikes are on? its more sturdy than a trunk mount
Old 04-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by Poindexter

Dude, is that a Shindaiwa gas trimmer?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:59 PM
has been here awhile

Just got my Saris Bones RS rack today. It is a really nice setup and I would HIGHLY recommend it thus far. It's ridiculously easy to setup and the ratchet system is really slick. I'm going to get a couple strips of clear bra applied to where the padded straps attach to the trunk lid.

With that said, it appears it will slightly bend the "rain gutter" on the leading edge of the trunk lid where the two straps attach to the trunk lid, but nothing significant (probably the same as would a roof mount to weather stripping). This piece of trim I've been meaning to replace anyway, as it's not aging too well (I think this is an issue with G1.5 RLs).

I will admit something has broken already It's nothing major--a yellow plastic cramp that I got a little over zealous with tightening. We'll see how they take care of the situation, considering this happened only a matter of minutes after I received the thing--it's got a lifetime warranty.

I'll post pictures this weekend (if not, sooner).

Last edited by SPUDMTN; 04-24-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
my Yakima with fatcat 6 snowboard rack. I just bought 2 Raptor (front tire on) bike carriers.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 PM
has been here awhile

Cool Not that anyone cares...

I got around to taking some pictures of my RL with the Bones RS & bike mounted. I love the thing--works like a charm.

Slick setup, MattG. A Subie is awfully tempting...