Wow 37 over the limit......

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow 37 over the limit......

Hello Guys.
Let me tell you all what happen to me today.
I was coming from Seaside Heights NJ and going home to Philly with my girl.
On my way to get the ticket to get into the Turn Pike I dropped it, so my girl started talking shit and screaming at me. So I was a little mad and started going a little fast. I was traveling at 85mph almost all the way home into a rand into a little 335I blocking the fast lane. So I got on the gas and over passed the BMW, 2 minutes later the blue and red light came up. The officer didn't talk at all, and gave me 2 tickets. 1 for speeding 102 in a 65.. and the other for Reckless Driving..

Don't need the smart comments just some advice on what should I do.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Life Long Acura Fiend

Hey I'm sorry to hear that. I just had a similar experience. I don't know about Philly but i heard that here in NY the Points don't carry over from NJ. So i just paid the fine and kept it moving. I was told this by my insurance agent who i know since high school and said it wouldn't show up here in NY.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Racer

traffic shool -->paid for the tickets-->be smart next time.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know if there are any points? If there's no points, just pay it and move on. if there are points, then doing things like driving/traffic school may be needed to remove some or all points?

PA or NJ state trooper?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by IncaPower
Hey I'm sorry to hear that. I just had a similar experience. I don't know about Philly but i heard that here in NY the Points don't carry over from NJ. So i just paid the fine and kept it moving. I was told this by my insurance agent who i know since high school and said it wouldn't show up here in NY.
Can you ABSOLUTELY 100% confirm this? Because I head that if you hold a NY Drivers Liscence, tickets issued in NY, NJ, CT, parts of Canada and maybe even FL are recorded. I definitely the FL one is true because it was reported to NY DMV and I thought it was true for the NJ ones too. However maybe they report the ticket but not the points, I'm not sure how that works.

Wreckless Driving ticket is a pretty bad ticket, I would not pay that, I would try to plea bargain that crap. I've been in your position many times but don't have experience with NJTPKE tickets eventhough I drive it all the time, just been lucky not to get nabbed.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I just realized the OP might have a DL from PA.. and if that's the case, I think you should just pay it and move on, because it won't show up on your DMV or DL... but just confirm that with your local DMV by calling anonymously and verifying with 3 different people.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:04 PM
'05 6MT w/Nav A-Spec

For the last 5-6 years, I've hired a traffic attorney every time I've gotten a ticket. The cost is $80-90 and I've never been unsuccessful; usually finishing with no points, no ticket, and no court fees.

I'm not sure if they work the same up north, but here in Orlando it's the only way to go. I'd look into one.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Jeez idk what you should do and not bashing you cause i was down in seaside this weekend too and i drive fast but memorial day weekend on the jersey turnpike and the garden state parkway you absolutly have to have to drive slow state troopers hate memorial day weekend and they run laser/ radar traps every 4-5 miles on these 2 highways it sucks..... i learned my lesson 2 years ago they fucked me hard going down there but i got the ticket taken care of all i can say is i learned my lesson... im not bashing you dont take it that way just do what i did just take what you have coming to you and learn from it thats the best you can do and it all depends on the city court where u got pulled over in you can most likely get them reduced to less points or speed reduction and probably a bigger fine but if they dont get reduced be prepared to lose your license for a few months but thats more then likly not happening.... good luck OP
Old 05-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by vicgreen19142
Hello Guys.
On my way to get the ticket to get into the Turn Pike I dropped it, so my girl started talking shit and screaming at me. So I was a little mad and started going a little fast. I was traveling at 85mph almost all the way home into a rand into a little 335I blocking the fast lane. So I got on the gas and over passed the BMW, 2 minutes later the blue and red light came up. The officer didn't talk at all, and gave me 2 tickets. 1 for speeding 102 in a 65.. and the other for Reckless Driving..

Your definition and my definition of "a little fast" are worlds apart. I don't know the laws up there, but in a lot of states they'll lock you up and tow your car for reckless driving. Consider yourself lucky and be prepared for a hefty fine.

Some advice: take an anger management class or get a new girl.
Burning Brakes

oh yea and this is a long shot but i know a few years back you used to send in a money order within 24 hours of getting your ticket to the town court and they would completly scrap your ticket now this is a long shot and it is a way for the city to get money it sounds like Bull shit i know but look it up my family used to do it all the time
Racer

when i got reckless driving it wasnt a ticket it was a summons.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dechlin
when i got reckless driving it wasnt a ticket it was a summons.
how much was it? has to be a big fine im assuming?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Cruisin'

Hello Guys.

Well I cant say I have the same tickets as you but i did have the same circumstance when it came to an argument with my girl at the time. This was in GA and I was on I-20 and didnt have the radar installed. Went past a county cop on a bike... 24 over. I live in Northern AL so... this was a matter of lower or no points at the expense of gas, mileage and time on a trip to court.

Needless to say I plead my case ... and while I didnt get out of the ticket.. I was able to get it lowered to a no point fine with a lower fee.

My recommendation first is always a lawyer .. If you cant afford that ..then asses your driving history and plan your case in court. If you have no prior major offenses(Speeding) in the last 2 to 3 years then you have a fighting position. If you are in school(student), that can be used in your case as well. I am no lawyer at all and i take no responsibility for using any of these ideas as they may not work. Depends on the judge over the court where you got your ticket too.. if hes tough... then good luck.

Theres always the f-it an pay the tickets stance but .. i dont know about that ...just the chance that i could beat the ticket is enough for me to make a court visit.

Good luck in whatever way you pick, me I would go to the court regardless and fight it, whats the worst that can happen i pay the fine...at least i tried...
Old 05-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Instructor

just pay the ticket and fight the points, if you do have points. Also next time slow down son
Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Your definition and my definition of "a little fast" are worlds apart. I don't know the laws up there, but in a lot of states they'll lock you up and tow your car for reckless driving. Consider yourself lucky and be prepared for a hefty fine.

Some advice: take an anger management class or get a new girl.

or learn to eat the tuna......lol then she won't be so mad :P
Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Newb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ezland00
traffic shool -->paid for the tickets-->be smart next time.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
or learn to eat the tuna......lol then she won't be so mad :P
Aye!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Racer

I can confirm, I got a speeding ticket in NJ on i95 (I live in NY). I you have no plans on moving to NJ or getting insured in NJ then just pay and keep going. When I went to renew my insurance this year, it did not show.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:48 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Both states New Jersey and Pennsylvania are part of the Driver License Compact (DLC). This agreement allows for all traffic convictions and license suspensions/revocations of out-of-state drivers to be reported to the home state licensing agency.

The DLC has been in force since the 1990s but with computer systems not being synced it sometimes takes awhile for the out of state information to be transferred from NJ to PA but the compact calls for it to happen eventually.

Even though PA will receive information regarding the NJ citation(s), PennDOT has decided that minor offenses will not appear on your PA driving record. PennDOT also does not assess points for out of state minor traffic violations.

So, if they are minor speeding tickets or minor infractions they aren't transferring. Nothing has changed. Minor and major are infraction types as defined by each state. For example, in many states a minor violation is speeding 1-14 miles per hour over the speed limit, whereas a major is speeding 15+ over the speed limit. You can reference your states DMV to find their classification.

Major Violations WILL be reported to the PA Secretary of State's Office and show up on your driving abstract, which is what your insurance company looks at, unless you can get court supervision. Getting court supervision typically requires appearing in court to plead guilty and requesting supervision, though I previously described a possible procedure for requesting supervision without appearing in court.

BEST advice I can provide to you because ive been down this road before with a pretty heavy pointed ticket, you must find a lawyer from the town the ticket was issused in. They may want to see you in person, or they may want you to fax over your information and let them examine the ticket. Now between those two tickets your at the 10 point mark if anything possibly more. I bet there's a must appear in court was checked off with a date. You don't follow that date ignore it.. Your lawyer will set up a new date if your needed to show in court. He gave some heavy hitter tickets man enough to basically suspend your licence in NJ if you were a NJ resident and decided not to fight them. I dropped from 6 to 2 points and the next day I was in a defensive driving course for 7 hours ended the day with no points and 10% off insurance.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Hope you have deep pockets.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
I've been issued tickets in the following states while carrying a NYS drivers license. Points were NEVER assessed on my license.

summer 2006 -Indiana to NY - 113 in a 65 - $152.00 fine -
Early 2006 - Miami Fl, - No seatbelt / 55 in a 35 - forgot the fine but no points
Early 2006 - speeding - 75 in 55? --paid fine. no points.

Trust me, I've learned my lesson since then.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't mess around on the NJ Turnpike... Those guys are no joke! You can usually get away with 80 - 85 as long as you're moving with traffic.

Usually anything over 35 above the limit is an automatic reckless driving offense, and requires a court appearance. You're lucky you didn't go to jail as well.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Instructor

i would look into taking a defensive driving course or check and see if PA offers a Point and Insurance Reduction Program (PIRP) to reduce your insurance rates and remove some points off your license (if you have any). NY and several other states now offer PIRP courses online; for NY it costs $50 and takes 6 hours to complete.

I'm not sure if this is universal but in NY successful completion will remove up to a maximum of 4 points and reduce your collision and liability premiums by 10 percent.

It will NOT prevent a mandatory suspension/revocation however..

to the OP i would definitely plead not guilty and try to get the ticket reduced. my brother got a speeding ticket for 30 over the posted limit (within village limits!) and pled not guilty to that in exchange for a guilty plea to a reduced charge and paid the fine on the spot. many places are willing to do that. good luck.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Burning Brakes

get a lawyer, thats what i did when i had a (30+ mph over the limit) speeding ticket. it will cost a couple hundred, but they work wonders
Old 05-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I will share with you a similar story...

From NY.. I was driving down to Atlanta on a Thanksgiving morning. Right befor jumping on 85 in Gastonia NC...there was a left lane coming to an end in about 1500ft... So I throttle....why not? its 8:45am, I been driving for hours and had 2 redbulls in ...

Bang 91/60. So here is the details.... Lucky for me NY state does not carry over outter state violations unless they are performed in Quebec and some where else (cant remember). Makes no sense but i guess they have a treaty. I took a course at "Idrivesafe.com" make sure you select the state of the violaton. The course was like $80 bucks, but has been saving me on my insurance for 2 years and its good for one more year. I paid and attorny so i wouldnt have to travel there on the day off. Total cost....$125 attorny, $150 court fee, $80 course. No points and just got a 2 month prohibition from driving in NC.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:48 AM
G Force

Immature, young and reckless...

Better pay up the fine, and bear with the insurance premium increase for the next couple years...

Oh, by the way, your license plate might already marked...

Learn your lesson..
Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 AM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought anyone getting a reckless driving ticket was required to appear in court? In regards to out of state tickets showing up on a NYS license... I don't know what done nowadays, but when I living in New York only those tickets I rec's in New York appeared on my license. During those days I got tickets in MA, SC and 3 in MD and none of them posted to my NYS license. Even if they had posted, they were spread out over time and luckily I've since learned my lesson and don't speed much.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Own up and pay.. and don't go 100+ especially with your girl in tow. Like many have said.. you're lucky he let you go and didn't tow your ride.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There needs to be a "E-Lawyer" section of this site so all the shit house lawyers can go show off their traffic school knowledge there.

Tired of seeing these same exact posts every couple of days.

The only thing pertaining to a TL in this thread is that the OP was driving one like a tard, and wants someone to make it all better for him.

Last edited by sT04Louis; 05-26-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

i hate when people throw out dick comments... just dont even fuckin respond here if your going to say some thing stupid like that last comment... the kid is just in trouble and is looking for advice fuckin relax
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by sT04Louis
There needs to be a "E-Lawyer" section of this site so all the shit house lawyers can go show off their traffic school knowledge there.

The only thing pertaining to a TL in this thread is that the OP was driving one like a tard, and wants someone to make it all better for him.

+1 on everything.. but I'm sure no one here is an angel. This thread is retarded though.

How about we have an "Ask An Officer" Folder

http://www.orlandoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126522

AUTOBLOG - lol..
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TLNY04
i hate when people throw out dick comments... just dont even fuckin respond here if your going to say some thing stupid like that last comment... the kid is just in trouble and is looking for advice fuckin relax
My comment was not me being a dick. My comment was me stating that there needs to be a section for this stuff.

This portion of the forums are for people trying to better their TL, or share Mods and pictures of their TL. Not get legal advice when they get caught driving erratically.

Also...since when is 24 being a kid? Guy needs to be able to handle his own mishaps at that age.

Wonder what "kids" did when they got tickets before the interwebz was invented

Must have been some tough times.

Originally Posted by Majofo
+1 on everything.. but I'm sure no one here is an angel. This thread is retarded though.

How about we have an "Ask An Officer" Folder

http://www.orlandoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126522

AUTOBLOG - lol..
Awesome idea
Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 AM
W_L
Intermediate

1) Get a laywer or pay the fine.

2) If you girl is screaming and yelling. Do what I do, pull over and get out of the car. Let her calm down and get back in the car. Don't say a single word to her. Drop her off at home. Works everytime with all my previous girlfriends.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

points carry from nj to ny and it doesnt matter what state ur in ur license record follows including suspensions n revocations. and if its suspended or revoke in another state u have to clear it before another state issues u anything.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Advanced

“Woot427” it was NJ state trooper…

“angeloUCF” I think that’s my best options too and hired a traffic attorney..

“Anthracite Shadow” no prior speeding or major offenses ever, been driving for over 8yrs.. Don’t have any point in my license.

Hey guys sorry they both are summons, I can’t just pay for it.

“Tripnbeats” I guess there’s no points of calling dmv to check if points would be transfer.

Now im looking for a nj attorney.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 AM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Did you say the officer didn't say anything to you or ask you any rethorical questions such as "Do you know what I pulled you over for?"

He just walked up and gave you two tickes and walked back?

I don't think you really need a lawyer yet. All you want to do is plead not guilty if you plan on fighting it but remember when you do this you have to go to the court in the district you were pulled over at. I am not sure if that would be an inconvenience for you or not.

Last edited by anarchy[sear]; 05-26-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

Id have a lawyer go.....screw it i wouldnt even wanna show face....pay the dude 250-300 and ur saving a shit ton of BS cash with these pricks. he'll reduce ur fines by a ton and maybe no points.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
If you are a NY driver, points from NJ to NY DO NOT transfer.
(but vice versa for NJ drivers..stupid..but whatever)

I got pulled over for 6mph (56 in a 50)....and had my ear chewed off... You did 35 over...just be grateful... you're ok! They are only tickets... remit payment from your girl money/services, lol.

P.S. Fighting a NJ trooper in court..lose...lose...lose... Those pricks have no life...and they are not as lazy as NY highway...they will drag a video to court with laser reading just to win...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by sT04Louis

+1

And you can't post something like this and request no one give you shit. Because everyone is, and you deserve it.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
the first mistake was going to Seaside Heights after the age of 18.

Quick Reply: Wow 37 over the limit......