Window Tinting in NY State

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Learning as I go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tinting in NY State

I'm from Texas, but I go to school in Rochester, NY. I saw the tint laws for NY state, which requires 70% of light through the film. Has anyone in the state run into trouble because of tinting? 70% makes it seem like it's not worth tinting.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Depends on your area, but yes, cops WILL pull you over if your tint is too dark.

What I did was 35% on the sides and 20% on the rear and I never had a problem. Plus, the darker rear window is not only legal, but also makes the sides appear darker. Just a thought...
Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Ur Mutha She Stinks!!

if your car has Texas plates it shouldnt be a problem. Cause they can't enforce a tint law from other states. They can give you moving violation tickets parking tickets but things like no front plate or tints they cannot.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:47 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by azninvazion
if your car has Texas plates it shouldnt be a problem. Cause they can't enforce a tint law from other states. They can give you moving violation tickets parking tickets but things like no front plate or tints they cannot.

Are you sure about that? I can't say either way, but it seems like they could enforce tint laws for NY state if your in NY regardless where your car is from. My justification would be speed limits, a lot of states have different speed limits, yet you have to adhere to the laws of where you are for public safety. I do agree with you about the plates and concur that it shouldn't be an issue at all.

From my experience, if there is a doubt, there is no doubt. I want zero excuses for a cop to pull me over and due to that policy I have not been pulled over in 7 years and even then was my fault I honestly thought the speed limit was higher then it was, an honest mistake and the officer was understanding.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends on the cop, but i think they wont ticket you if you have texas plates. Now if they see your car around a lot. They will bug you.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 5% on my rears and 20% on the front. Virginia Plates but living in NJ. I have not once been pulled over for my tint. Just don't give them any other reason to pull you over and you won't have a problem.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Tireguy
Are you sure about that? I can't say either way, but it seems like they could enforce tint laws for NY state if your in NY regardless where your car is from. My justification would be speed limits, a lot of states have different speed limits, yet you have to adhere to the laws of where you are for public safety. I do agree with you about the plates and concur that it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Think of it this way:

If your car is Registered/Plated in TX then it must conform to whatever PHYSICAL requirements TX imposes. While traveling in or visiting NY, they cannot impose their standard on your car. There is a legal allowance for this, a kind of reciprocity of state laws.

The speed you drive is not a pemanent physical factor. You, as a driver, can adapt your speed moment-by-moment, so NY can impose restrictions on the legal speed limit of your TX car.

Here is a link to a state-by-state legal tint limit PDF. This same chart can be found in various places on the web. The NY limit on cars (IMO) is just stupid.

http://www.lightningmikes.com/images/state-laws.pdf
Old 07-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
It depends on the cop. Some care more then others. Chances are if your windows are really dark(like mine) they may stop you in hopes of busting you on something else. From experience with FL law enforcement this is encouraged. Stop for a minor violation & get a guy with a warrant or sus. license.

I was in NYC for 6 days with my car I didn't have any issues. Had a tons of NYC trips in other cars with dark tint & also never had a problem.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
I had 5% all around and got pulled over a lot. But only going through the Holland Tunnel. Traffic is slow there and they really don't have anything better to do. It really depends on the cop. Most of them will pull you over for something else and give you shit for the tints. But it is unlikely that you will get pulled over for just tinted windows.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Weather Watcher

I live in Rochester too. My car is tinted 20% all round and have only been pulled over once. Didn't get a ticket that time coz the cop that pulled me over grew up with one of the VPs at my place of work at the time (was wearing a company embroidered golf shirt at the time). I lucked out that once. Still have the tint. Just don't over do it and put 5% but like all have said above it depends on the cop. Just don't get pulled over for anything dumb. Oh yea, don't drive around in a candy apple red box Chevy with limo tint and 30" rims coz cops here love that. It just screams 'I've got 10lbs of hash in my trunk = pull me over'