What would you do if dealer service screwed up your wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What would you do if dealer service screwed up your wheels?

Bear with me. I'm still trying to figure out what my next step is. I obviously made a huge error here.

Took CTS-V with my $3k SV1 Forged SV-5 3-piece wheels to dealer for routine oil change, alignment, switch of almost bare PS2s for another set.

I get the V home afterward, and next morning have to re-inflate two of the tires. I don't drive the car for two days after that and when I get ready to drive off, I find that all the wheels but one are down to 16-18 psi when I inflated them to 36 before.

At that point, I figure it's either valve stems or leaky bead and I head back to the dealer.

They take the wheels off and later tell me that the valve stems are the problem, and that they will need to source new ones....only with this particular type of wheel, they have to find one with an elbow shape.

They can't source them, so they send to a tire shop nearby that they do business with. The tire shop says they have the right valve stems, but they have to drill out the opening a little more. My Spidey sense is tingling but (and I am regretting this now) I let them do it....the aftermarket wheel shop I usually use is in the process of moving and they can't help me. I end up with a loaner from the dealer for the weekend.

Called back yesterday afternoon for an update. Now they tell me that they had to take my $3k wheels apart because they thought there was some leakage from where they were bolted together. Spidey sense goes off again.....whey would they need to take my wheels apart when the issue was just a valve stem? I called BS, nicely, as the wheels were just fine until these folks got their hands on them. The news was worse today. The silicone they used for the repairs when they took the wheels apart is apparently not sealing properly. I am now convinced that the wheels will be unsafe and I don't want them back.

At this point, I am considering putting my stock wheels back on, even though they have winter tires on them, have the dealer bolt them to my V (if their tire guy can even do that right), drive it home, and to make the dealer and the tire shop involved pay for a new set of rims.

I'd be happy with a second set of CTS-V stockers, which cost less than $2k, rather than forcing replacement of my custom wheels. My V's been off the ground for five days now with no end in sight to this mess.

It's too bad, I really liked my SV-5s.

What would the AZ do? I'm not sure whether to laugh or to be upset yet, and don't know whether I should be overreacting/panicking at this point. Is this situation even unusual?

Regardless, I learned a lesson here: If you have aftermarket wheels, do not EVER have a dealer touch them. Always go to a specialty shop. I'm hoping it's not going to cost me any money (and it shouldn't, I didn't screw up the wheels.).

Last edited by neuronbob; 05-01-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
It should not cost you a dime. Talk to the service manager, I'd have them make it right and replace the wheels. The service manager can cost them out, especially since the car is dealer serviced and there is quite a bit of history with them I assume.

Do not pay for anything. If they ask you to source the rims and they reimburse you, make sure you get that in writing. This should not cost you anything out of pocket other than the tires, they really should cover the alignment and oil change as a cost of doing business.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Oh yeah, be firm, be patient, be polite.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I wouldn't accept anything less than a replacement of the wheels. They clearly screwed them up, they should accept full responsibility.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

I've been polite and even joking with my SA. He's actually a very nice guy and is genuinely mortified that this has happened. I'll be on the phone with him in the AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
What a mess and sorry to hear you've had to deal with this Bob. I hope your SA can help you out and that you will get a replacement of the wheels or an equal amount in cheque.I missed something, but what did they exactly do to them? They opened them or drilled into them?

Originally Posted by vas25tl
I wouldn't accept anything less than a replacement of the wheels. They clearly screwed them up, they should accept full responsibility.

Last edited by nokiaman; 05-01-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
The tire installer nicked the valve stems during tire install.

Part of the repair was to drill out the valve stem openings.

This mysteriously became taking apart the wheel for reasons unknown.

Now the wheel won't seal properly.

I don't feel right putting myself or family on this set of wheels anymore given what's been described to me thus far.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^^

I don't feel right putting myself or family on this set of wheels anymore given what's been described to me thus far.

Wow, it sounds like shady work to me. I hope your dealer comes through for you.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I mean, wheels. It was three of the four.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
It may help to have the receipt for your wheels. I would not be surprised if the Service Manager bulks at replacing your wheels because they are so expensive. Be prepared to negotiate a compromise (even though it should not even be necessary). But yeah, they should replace your wheels. Good luck with that.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
Way ahead of you. My planned compromise is a new OEM set of V wheels. Dealer cost for them (not retail cost) is about 1/2 the cost of my aftermarkets. Even the retail cost is 3/4 of what my aftermarkets cost new.

Good idea to have the receipt for the aftermarkets.

If there is a fight, then I'll have to engage a lawyer. I don't think it'll come to that as the dealership has admitted to me they are at fault.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Wow sorry to hear about your troubles Bob. Sheeit, I had the rear PS2s on my 911 swapped out at Sam's Club, kept an eagle eye on them the whole time so they wouldn't jack up the aluminum BBS rims and they did a good job and saved me hundreds to boot. Hopefully PZeros on the F-car last awhile, the 20" diamond finish BBS are costly as well. I can't believe they fubared 3/4 rims, that's horrible
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
My planned compromise is a new OEM set of V wheels. Dealer cost for them (not retail cost) is about 1/2 the cost of my aftermarkets. Even the retail cost is 3/4 of what my aftermarkets cost new.
Why would you/should you have to compromise for something less than what they messed up? This makes absolutely no sense to me. They need to step up, admit their mistake and replace what they damaged. Period.
The following users liked this post:
phee (05-02-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
sorry to hear Bob

I too wouldnt settle for anything less other than replacement.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Or at least V wheels with a cheque for the retail difference.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by vas25tl
This. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:38 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I would assume that they take care of the problem 100%. Don't these shops have insurance for situations such as this one?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
It seems you already figured it out, but do not get any work done at a dealership unless you have to because its under warranty. Even under warranty I don't like dealer hack shops touching my car. Buy the car from them and never go back.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
It should not cost you a dime. Talk to the service manager, I'd have them make it right and replace the wheels. The service manager can cost them out, especially since the car is dealer serviced and there is quite a bit of history with them I assume.

Do not pay for anything. If they ask you to source the rims and they reimburse you, make sure you get that in writing. This should not cost you anything out of pocket other than the tires, they really should cover the alignment and oil change as a cost of doing business.

Good luck.
Oh yeah, be firm, be patient, be polite.
^^^ this.

OP- i would be seriously pissed and annoyed. esp for $3k rims. my dealer wouldn't touch my rims on my TL b/c they didn't want to damage them. i reluctantly let them sublet to the local big box shop to do a tire replacement (my SA reassured me that everything would be fine and i shouldn't worry....hell yeah i lost sleep, he spoke with the manager at the tire shop and told them that the customer is very particular and if anything happens to those rims, she's gonna know). thankfully everything was fine...sort of. the tire shop couldn't balance the tires well enough (lazy) nor could they inflate them to OEM spec (under inflated). i had the dealer rebalance with RFB just to get it right.

in your case, i'd be pretty firm about how you feel and how your wheels have been handled at this point. the tire shop guys are idiots and man handle wheels and tires without a lot of care or knowledge (as it seems here). you shouldn't have to pay for anything.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Aman
Or at least V wheels with a cheque for the retail difference.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:17 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,856 Likes on 2,579 Posts
I would put the stocks back on for now. Maybe even have them give you a set of wheels off a car on the lot temporarily. Then make them overnight your wheel back to the wheel company and let them fix it or if that isn't possible anymore have them send it back to you. I don't see why the wheel wouldn't seal if they just too it apart unless they did something really stupid to it.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
In to see how this plays out. Good luck Bob.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
I would definitely make them replace your wheels or, if you want, a set of V wheels with a check for the difference. At least the dealer admitted they are at fault.

It sounds like you shouldn't have a hard time getting what you want.

I would like to hear what the real problem with the wheels are. What are you going to do with the wheels?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
I think that I would accept nothing less than a full refund of what I paid for the wheels.....being that its a lux car dealer, I sure they will pay you out...
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Its a pain in the ass...and I feel stupid sometimes for doing it, esp since I don't drive a Ferrari or have $3g in wheels.

but, I walk around the car before they touch it with a manager everytime I go to Discount. I make sure he see the imperfections and doesn't add to them. I also remove all my valve caps before hand. Even when I had stock caps they'd loose them and be missmatched, with the aftermarket caps I dont want to chance it.

Some guy put a nice deep scratch putting on the RJs on my CL while he was mounting them the first time. I didn't notice it until a couple of days later. I know he did it, but I couldn't prove it.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Back in '03 the local Nissan Dealership scratched a set of my OEM Rays Track wheels. They called me right away and told me they would take care of it. Unfortunately, the powdercoat job was crap and a different shade of silver then the undamaged wheels. After some BS excuses, I wrote a letter to the manager, and eventually the replaced my wheels with new ones. At the time it was a big deal because the cost was high. IIRC, the list price was around 1,200 per wheel. Anyways, if the wheels cannot be returned to you look good as new, then it's time for them to cough up a new set.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by MarbleGT
Its a pain in the ass...and I feel stupid sometimes for doing it, esp since I don't drive a Ferrari or have $3g in wheels.

but, I walk around the car before they touch it with a manager everytime I go to Discount. I make sure he see the imperfections and doesn't add to them. I also remove all my valve caps before hand. Even when I had stock caps they'd loose them and be missmatched, with the aftermarket caps I dont want to chance it.

Some guy put a nice deep scratch putting on the RJs on my CL while he was mounting them the first time. I didn't notice it until a couple of days later. I know he did it, but I couldn't prove it.
I've ALWAYS wanted to do that but I'm too chicken to look as anal as I am. Good for you.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
^^^^^

Bear with me. I'm still trying to figure out what my next step is. I obviously made a huge error here.

Took CTS-V with my $3k SV1 Forged SV-5 3-piece wheels to dealer for routine oil change, alignment, switch of almost bare PS2s for another set.

I get the V home afterward, and next morning have to re-inflate two of the tires. I don't drive the car for two days after that and when I get ready to drive off, I find that all the wheels but one are down to 16-18 psi when I inflated them to 36 before.

At that point, I figure it's either valve stems or leaky bead and I head back to the dealer.

They take the wheels off and later tell me that the valve stems are the problem, and that they will need to source new ones....only with this particular type of wheel, they have to find one with an elbow shape.

They can't source them, so they send to a tire shop nearby that they do business with. The tire shop says they have the right valve stems, but they have to drill out the opening a little more. My Spidey sense is tingling but (and I am regretting this now) I let them do it....the aftermarket wheel shop I usually use is in the process of moving and they can't help me. I end up with a loaner from the dealer for the weekend.

Called back yesterday afternoon for an update. Now they tell me that they had to take my $3k wheels apart because they thought there was some leakage from where they were bolted together. Spidey sense goes off again.....whey would they need to take my wheels apart when the issue was just a valve stem? I called BS, nicely, as the wheels were just fine until these folks got their hands on them. The news was worse today. The silicone they used for the repairs when they took the wheels apart is apparently not sealing properly. I am now convinced that the wheels will be unsafe and I don't want them back.

At this point, I am considering putting my stock wheels back on, even though they have winter tires on them, have the dealer bolt them to my V (if their tire guy can even do that right), drive it home, and to make the dealer and the tire shop involved pay for a new set of rims.

I'd be happy with a second set of CTS-V stockers, which cost less than $2k, rather than forcing replacement of my custom wheels. My V's been off the ground for five days now with no end in sight to this mess.

It's too bad, I really liked my SV-5s.

What would the AZ do? I'm not sure whether to laugh or to be upset yet, and don't know whether I should be overreacting/panicking at this point. Is this situation even unusual?

Regardless, I learned a lesson here: If you have aftermarket wheels, do not EVER have a dealer touch them. Always go to a specialty shop. I'm hoping it's not going to cost me any money (and it shouldn't, I didn't screw up the wheels.).

I suggest that you call up SV1 and see if they have a wheel refinishing program. They can reglue the wheels and ensure their strength with the proper bolts and such. Have the dealer pay to have it all done including shipping, and then as well refund you the money that you paid them for the mounting/balancing and as well for your time.

There was no reason to take apart your wheels without your permission first. My honest suggestion is to tell your dealer honestly that you want them refinished to brand new specs.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:11 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Good luck.

Be polite but firm.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Updating the thread after some time away.

I got my car away from the dealer today. At this point, I just wanted to get my car back. I haven't had specific discussions with the service manager yet. Once I get the wheels unmounted, and I have them taken apart again (they are three-piece wheels so they are made to be taken apart) and inspected by a specialty wheel shop or by SV1 itself, I will. I have an aftermarket wheel shop I trust, and which has refinished wheels for me in the past. This whole mess is because I couldn't wait for that shop to finish its move while I had bare tires. I should've waited.

The tire shop the dealer sent my wheels to placed the new valve stems on the inner barrel. They did this instead of drilling a larger hole at the original valve stem hole as they said they would. It's a clean look and I know others do this on high-end wheels....but it would have been nice if they had done all four of the wheels instead of only three.

Three wheels now look like this.... (wheel is dirty....haven't washed it yet)

Here's wheel #4, which is as original. This is the only one that wasn't touched.

The biggest problem for now is that when I have to reinflate the tire it's not as convenient to do so.

To boot, my steering wheel is now off center, so I have to go back to get that taken care of, now.

Can't win for losing this week.

Remember, kids, unless your dealer has someone who specializes in taking care of aftermarket rims, NEVER EVER let them touch your aftermarket wheels, only your OEM wheels.

Last edited by neuronbob; 05-04-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Actually I trust my dealer for my wheels. I also trust Costco shops. I did order set of tires from Tirerack and had them installed at both. YMMV.

YESTERDAY I was at an Indy shop (my car needed new front struts). A Mazda6 had its alloy wheels off. I heard a sound and the guy just let the wheel fall on front face. He put it back still by itself and by the time he looks elsewhere, *bang* again on the face! I went ballistic, went to see him and yelled. "YOU! Never ever touch my car!"... My trust in this shop just vanished like this.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
I suggest that you call up SV1 and see if they have a wheel refinishing program. They can reglue the wheels and ensure their strength with the proper bolts and such. Have the dealer pay to have it all done including shipping, and then as well refund you the money that you paid them for the mounting/balancing and as well for your time.

There was no reason to take apart your wheels without your permission first. My honest suggestion is to tell your dealer honestly that you want them refinished to brand new specs.

This all day long!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
Shit sucks Bob. Send them to the manufacturer for repair and have the dealer foot the bill.

I had an incident with Discount the first time I went with Legend #2. Their impact wrench scratched 3/4 wheels and actually chipped the paint on one of them. I caught it in the adjacent parking lot when I went to check the pressures (thank God!) and went back immediately to complain to the manager.

The manager offered to have the three wheels sent off to be refinished with a turn around of less than 24 hours. I took him up on it and don't regret it for a second.

He did balk a little though. The incident happened on a Friday. He told me to come back Monday. When I did (he didn't think I really would), he offered a 50% refund on the DWS he had mounted Friday. I refused and asked him to repair my wheels.

Originally Posted by MarbleGT
Its a pain in the ass...and I feel stupid sometimes for doing it, esp since I don't drive a Ferrari or have $3g in wheels. but, I walk around the car before they touch it with a manager everytime I go to Discount. I make sure he see the imperfections and doesn't add to them. I also remove all my valve caps before hand. Even when I had stock caps they'd loose them and be missmatched, with the aftermarket caps I dont want to chance it. Some guy put a nice deep scratch putting on the RJs on my CL while he was mounting them the first time. I didn't notice it until a couple of days later. I know he did it, but I couldn't prove it.
I asked the manager what I could do to avoid the hassle for both of us. He said to mention the incident and ask them to take extra care in the future. That's as far as I go as far as prevention, but I do take the caps and always do a walk around now before leaving. It's stupid that I should have to ask them to be careful. If you see a black metal wheel that lost its hub caps, have a field day, but when a nice set of painted or finished wheels come in, do your job right.

Last edited by oo7spy; 05-05-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Updating this thread.

I posted in quite an upset in starting the thread.

The dealer has been stand-up during this entire time. They admitted their screwups and the wheels were fixed at their cost without my having to resort to legal threats. After some thought, I decided to keep the new location of the valve stems because it gives the wheels a cleaner look. In fact, I wish I had thought to do that before. This is not "Stockholm syndrome", but a decision to choose my battles.

I've contacted SV1 for extra rivets to fill in where the valve stem previously protruded from the outside of the wheel. Oddly enough, after almost three weeks, they haven't gotten back to me.

In short: all is good in the world, and I have my V back.

Note: I had a brand-new 2012 CTS4, and their decision to make the DI engine the base engine was a good one. Even the base CTS has decent torque down low now compared to before. Still prefer my V any day of the week, though.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:52 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Good to hear that they're taking care of you.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

^ x2, now all is well with the world
Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Rooting for Acura

Awesome. Glad it worked out amicably.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Still prefer my V any day of the week, though.
Really?

Sorry, just screwin' with ya. I think anybody here would prefer your V any day of the week. I certainly prefer your V to my car.

Glad everything got resolved.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Glad everything worked out!

Quick Reply: What would you do if dealer service screwed up your wheels?