What would you buy, NSX or Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vishnus11
true..but we were talking about RESALE values, not factoring in the original purchase price. lesson for the day: know what resale value means
Here is the one from edmunds:

1998 NSX - MSRP ($84,000) - Current Value of AVG dealer retail ($47,028) = 55.985% Residual Value

1998 Viper - MSRP ($66,000) - Current Value of AVG dealer retail ($38,662.50) = 58.579% Residual Value

By the way, grow up, go to college, get your degree in finance/accounting, then come back and talk to us about learning some lessons.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Burn some dust here

By the way...this also answers your first response:

The NSX SHOULD have a higher resale value after 6 years due to the higher MSRP and close residual value. Your statement makes about as much sense as this: a 1999 Ferrari 360 Modena is better than a 1999 Civic because it has a higher resale value.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:44 PM
G
Bitten.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, did I miss a lot of good stuff in here. Vishnus11, quite while you still have a thread of decency. When you actually learn about the stuff that you post about, then come back and join the club.

Beltfed, couldn't have said it better myself. I also lease the majority of my cars. Even with putting close to 20-25k miles a year, it is always cheaper and more economically wise for me to lease. Again, like you said, if you know anything about leases, you will find a hell of a deal.

Anyways, back on topic, well, sort-of, I would still take the Viper over NSX. I don't care what peeps say abolut driving the Viper everyday-I do it and would not think twcie about it. Yes, it is a monster, but a controlable one.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:46 PM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by Beltfed
So, car's depreciate and you lose $.....lot's of it after trying to sell it after 3 years (in most cases).....that's really enticing. With leasing, you pay for what you use. If you're retarded and don't know how to negotiate a lease (knowing the ins and outs) then I can understand why someone would be turned off.

Ask all the people who bought CLs and now they aren't worth jack shit.

I bought the STi and leased the M3, been leasing for years and no regrets. Some of us don't want to keep cars for more than 30-36 months.
Well said. Cars are a depreciating asset. Why would you want to own a depreciating asset when you can use it just the same for less money with a lease? When I retire, I will buy, but only because I will have a paid-off car for when skin drops, but for now, seeing as how often I trade-out, it is the most economicaly wise decision to lease.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:48 PM
G
Bitten.

I think that I may have started something bad with the "lesson for the day" statement.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:02 AM
Instructor

Angry nsx still beats crap out of new cars....

nsx-r with only 280ps can kick 400ps ferrari butt

nsx-r vs srt 10- viper

nsx-r vs c5 corvette

WHAT NSX-R CAN DO WITH ONLY 280ps OTHERS NEED 400-500PS TO DO...

Also nsx have the smallest tyres compared to other cars....which have huge tyres front and rear...

Last edited by ashran2; 01-25-2005 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:05 AM
Instructor

and if u want i can post some of these comparisons with porsche carrera 911(2002)
nsx-r still beats em
Old 01-25-2005, 04:11 AM
Instructor

Most people buy cars for the image they want to acquire. But a discerning few buy cars for the sake of driving enjoyment.

Those belonging to the latter -- including most car reviewers -- love the NSX. Unfortunately Honda lacks the right snob appeal.

When NSX was launched in 1990, it beat Ferrari on the Brands Hatch track in the UK to the amazement of the public.

For 10 years in the UK it has consistently ranks in the top 5 to 10 best sports cars, with Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani Zonda, Porsche, etc. The only Japanese that is mentioned in the same breath with the above gods.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ashran2

Also nsx have the smallest tyres compared to other cars....which have huge tyres front and rear...
There is no denying that the NSX is an excellent track car; it was designed that way. When people in the states commonly refer to which is faster (quicker) they are typically talking about acceleration.

As mentioned, I would take the NSX and do a little work on it to get more power. But in looking at the numbers you provided and looking at the normal American measuring stick (acceleration) the SRT-10 takes 4.2 seconds less to reach 200 km/h (124 MPH). That is significant and no advantage is gained when the brakes are applied either.

What is interesting is that the Viper also has a higher level of lateral grip and even higher slalom numbers. So when looking at the raw test numbers, on paper, the Viper should be noticeably quicker around the track. But that is not the case at all. The NSX-R is quicker at both Hockenheim and Nuerburgring. I am suprised about Nuerburgring as there are some high speed straights which the Viper should be able to stretch its lags. So it stands to reason that the NSX-R can maintain greater speeds through the turns when the pavement is not perfect. It is more adept at real overall performance. It would just lose in a drag race everytime.

It should be noted that this is discussing the NSX-R which is not available in the states. The NSX-T would be slower. But it does demonstrate that basic test numbers do not paint the whole picture.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cob3683
By the way...this also answers your first response:

The NSX SHOULD have a higher resale value after 6 years due to the higher MSRP and close residual value. Your statement makes about as much sense as this: a 1999 Ferrari 360 Modena is better than a 1999 Civic because it has a higher resale value.
duly noted

my figures again, were from kbb.com. Others took their figures from edmunds.com.

"By the way, grow up, go to college, get your degree in finance/accounting, then come back and talk to us about learning some lessons" -

Dont be hatin cause u werent smart enough to get in to college.

BTW, nice post ashran2
Old 01-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Burn some dust here

Hmm...the funny little framed piece of paper on my wall says otherwise.

Back on topic, I'll still take a Z06 or new M5 over both.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Revelation 3:15-17

The new Z06 but since you only gave two options I'd say go for
the Viper and drop in the Henessy package ( 1000+ HP & Torque ).
Old 01-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Suzuka Master

my figures again, were from kbb.com

My numbers were from KBB!!

With that grammar you certainly will not get far in college.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DivineCL
I'd say go for
the Viper and drop in the Henessy package ( 1000+ HP & Torque ).
If/when you get your car back from Hennessey.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts

nsx-r vs c5 corvette

I'm a BIG defender (read: apologist) of the NSX. I've defended the NSX in many of the domestic forums, extolling it's many impressive abilities. When other Japanese makes turned to FI (i.e.: GTO VR4, FD3S TT, MKIV TT, R34 GTR, Z32 TT) to create 13-second monsters, the NSX was doing it NA while trailblazing in the area of variable valve timing. To boot, it and its technology outlasted ALL if it's Japanese counterparts.

However, NOTHING can convince me personally to get an NSX over a C5 Z06!!! The Z06 is just a LOT more car for the money, and some serious spare change to upgrade it to supercar levels. Period.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F23A4
However, NOTHING can convince me personally to get an NSX over a C5 Z06!!! The Z06 is just a LOT more car for the money, and some serious spare change to upgrade it to supercar levels. Period.
IMO, it depends on what you are purchasing, new or used, and what you are buying it for. IMO, picking up a used NSX for $30k and adding another $10k to get its acceleration up to par (and past) makes for a great car as all other areas are pretty well met.

Granted, you could get a decent Z06 for $30k and add $10k to it and it would still be quicker. But at what point does it become unsuable for a vehicle driven on the road frequently. At the track, I'm sure the NSX would fair well.

Of course I am biased as what I mentioned is my current plan. I have tossed around the idea of a Z06 and applying forced induction. It would make for a great vehicle. But the NSX just looks too good and is much rarer.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
New Z06 will run with the viper for less money, but a new C6 twin tubo will run around 60 grand and will run with an enzo, you be the judge. If you want an out of the factory beast, get the z06. The vette has just as much modability as the viper, but whats sad is that mod for mod, the vette puts out more power. If you twin turbo the vettes 8 cylinder you can reach 1000+ horses just like the viper motor. NSX, your wasting your time, its hot, but why get a car that most nissans surpass in horsepower.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bigman
New Z06 will run with the viper for less money, but a new C6 twin tubo will run around 60 grand and will run with an enzo, you be the judge. If you want an out of the factory beast, get the z06. The vette has just as much modability as the viper, but whats sad is that mod for mod, the vette puts out more power. If you twin turbo the vettes 8 cylinder you can reach 1000+ horses just like the viper motor. NSX, your wasting your time, its hot, but why get a car that most nissans surpass in horsepower.
Ah, but where do you use all of that power, at the drag strip?? A 1000 HP Z06 would still lose to an Enzo on a road course.

Point being, there are different cars for different purposes; the individual needs to choose what is more desireable.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Drifting

Honda NSX-R is the best NSX on the track because it's purpose built for the track, but we don't have those here in the US. The Acura NSX we have here is more civilized and comes with leather, radio, etc. whereas the NSX-R doesn't. NSX-R also weighs about 350lbs less then the '02+ Acura NSX.

BTW, that website doesn't have the C5 Z06 on listed there, which it did the Nuerburgring track in under 8 minutes. Imagine what the new C6 Z06 will do.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Drifting

BTW, why didn't you compare the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale (track purpose built car) to the NSX-R, which also a track purpose built car. The 360 Challenge Stradale demolishes the NSX-R around the track. The regular Ferrari 360 Modena is compared to the Acura NSX which both are more civilized streetcars.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Now that the Japanese Gentlemans' Agreement has been lifted off, I just can't wait to see the potential that Honda has to offer. The NSX is desperately in need of an update/upgrade. They did the absolute best they did with what restrictions were offered. The NSX-R is a prime example of that. Let's just hope the NSX will be resurrected and we shall wait and see what's in store.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by importtuner
Now that the Japanese Gentlemans' Agreement has been lifted off, I just can't wait to see the potential that Honda has to offer. The NSX is desperately in need of an update/upgrade. They did the absolute best they did with what restrictions were offered. The NSX-R is a prime example of that. Let's just hope the NSX will be resurrected and we shall wait and see what's in store.
The Next NSX

aka Enzo on Estragen

Corvette Z06

hmm...yeah
Old 01-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd pick a APU Supra and beat the shit out of them both. But if I had to pick NSX v Viper I'd take the NSX.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
I'd pick a APU Supra and beat the shit out of them both.
Where?? Only on a highway pull.

I doubt one of the APU Supra's could muster a sub-9 minute lap at Nuerburgring.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scalbert
Where?? Only on a highway pull.
That's all I need. After seeing numerous Bike v Supra vids I'm hooked. I'm pretty sure with all that lag a APU supra would suck on a roadcourse.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Banned

Im sorry NSX guys, but as you probibly guess my prefrence is: Big American V8, RWD, Shitty Gas Milage, Crappy Tirelife (BURNOUT!!!)....that will blow the doors off anything in a Strait line
Old 01-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Banned

Bleh... Went past the Edit limit...
ment to add in prefibly something like

But id take the Z06 or the Viper
Old 01-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MemRheins
Im sorry NSX guys, but as you probibly guess my prefrence is: Big American V8, RWD, Shitty Gas Milage, Crappy Tirelife (BURNOUT!!!)....that will blow the doors off anything in a Strait line
Hell yea, there's nothing like a '60/70's muscle car!

Checkout this big block twin turbo '71 Charger:

Take a look at the ET and the trap speed at the end of the vids!

Oh yea it is street legal/driven! As this video shows him cruising the streets with the 8 second BEAST:

Old 01-26-2005, 11:03 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by scalbert
Ah, but where do you use all of that power, at the drag strip?? A 1000 HP Z06 would still lose to an Enzo on a road course.

Point being, there are different cars for different purposes; the individual needs to choose what is more desireable.
I hear ya, but you know as well as i know, most guys would be content with the handling of a Z06, plus we dont know how well the new Z06 will handle. Also there are many companies that sell C5R type suspension for the vettes, making it handle a lot better on a road coarse. I have seen quite a few videos on corvettekillstories of z06's running around ferrari f50's and 40's. Granted the Z's were not stock at all. I will never have my car on a road course so i know that the Z06's handling would be enough for me. And the question, where do you use all that power, that makes a lot of sense. You're right, there is never a place on public streets to use all that power. But that doesnt stop guys from buying fast cars, or modifying cars just for the power. As far as drivability is concerened, i think any car over 600 horses is a littel too much for street use, but the LS series of motors seem to behave very well with forced induction or aggressive all motor apps. I have driven in quite a few 10 second all motor LS1's and they all have a some lope, but that is the nature of the beast. And most of them are daily driven without problems. I guess i am as biased as you are, only because i own a trans am now. But the NSX with a blower is still a fine choice and a lot rarer.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:11 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by bigman

But the NSX with a blower is still a fine choice and a lot rarer.
Sometime in the not to far future (x-my fingers), I plan on a picking up a new or used NSX. Then dropping it off at CompTech for a S/C, Brake and Suspension upgrade. This would make one awesome car to drive on the street and/or track.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:01 PM
boosted is best

Well, I've officially started my search for a new or used NSX to find out what all my options are for pricing, financing, etc. However, it may be late spring before I'm able to take delivery of an NSX. (note to self... I think I need a two car garage now... does this mean I need to move??? )

Last edited by cls6sp03; 01-27-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Chargers+turbo=
Old 01-27-2005, 07:00 PM
10th Gear

Personally I'd have to go with the Viper.

By the way, in the earlier post with the comparisons between the NSX-R and other sports cars, why did the people on nsxprime say that much of the new NSX-R's performance came from the tires it ran?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:53 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

NSX R compared to a standard vette. Yeah, now thats fair. Keep them in the relm of each other. NSX-R is one of honda's Premium NSX's, so why not put it up against a Z06 which is Chevy's Premium. I dont care what the care can do with so little power. LOOK AT THE PRICE. For 25 grand i can pick up a low miles Z06, do a stroker kit, or a blower or even turbo and still be way under the price for a similar year and mileage NSX. And the Z06 is no slouch on a road course either.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:58 PM
I SMELL NAWZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it was me it would be "Viper" all the way. Im a NSX fan but when it comes down to reality which car is better i'd say the Viper its faster, IMHO its rarer on the streets, and it hass Torque . Plus with a bit of suspension mod's the viper isnt a bad track car not and NSX around the track but straight line power it is way superior.
I dont know about you guys but i wouldnt wanna drop the money for something as expensive as an NSX and get toasted by LS1's... all day but im more of a straight line person.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:08 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I just don't find this new GTS Coupe as exciting as the original. I think the curves of the original Viper were really what made it unique. In a lot of ways, this new Viper exudes the feel of a scaled up Honda S2000, which is a fantastic car, but not exactly a styling tour de force when compared with some of the styling competition out there.

that's how I feel about the C6 when compared to the C5, the C6 is hideous, atleast the Z06 has a decent look to it
Old 01-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Professional SLACKER

NSX, easier to maintain. Look more elegent. I'll give up 1 sec performance for these features.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by foolioness
NSX, easier to maintain. Look more elegent. I'll give up 1 sec performance for these features.
Have you worked/owned both cars to know which one is easier to maintain? Or are you just assuming?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
that's how I feel about the C6 when compared to the C5, the C6 is hideous, atleast the Z06 has a decent look to it
that's funny. definately spoken by someone w/ a C5 in the family.

C6 > C5 in all departments, including looks.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Both are all right.

Quick Reply: What would you buy, NSX or Viper?