what kind of oil for RX-8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Comptech Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what kind of oil for RX-8?

My gf just bought a brand new 6MT RX-8

basically she knows nth about cars and I do all kinds of researches for her, and whenever she needs to fix the car she just asked me to bring to my mech...

she bought the car basically because of the style, and now she's rely on me with everything other than that...

i have been searched on the RX-8 forum but found various results for the oil to use on RX-8....from 0W-20 to 15W-50 and everyone has a different opinion

so if anyone can give me an opionion here that what is the best oil for RX-8? probably michael wan??? thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 02:32 PM

AMSoil. contact me and i will give you a distributor's name.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Whenever you ask what oil to use in a RX8, you’ll open up a can of worms regarding the synthetic vs. conventional debate.

Mazda’s recommendation is to use a 5w-20, non-synthetic engine oil in the RX-8. They clearly do not recommend the usage of synthetic oil, nor do they condemn it entirely.

The reasoning behind their recommendation is that they have not done long-term testing of synthetic oils in the RENESIS engine. Theoretically, rotary engines require periodic oil top-up (approx. 1/2L every 3K KM), and is important for the proper function of the RENESIS engine.

The lower evaporation loss in synthetic oils may minimize the oil consumption, which would prevent the proper operation of the RENESIS engine. As a GM engineer once discussed with me, some engines may have very aggressive cylinder wall finishes to maintain oil on the cylinder walls to keep the rings lubricated at high specific power levels. This will lead to higher oil consumption, and if synthetic is minimizing the consumption, this may be a reason for concern. OTOH, I’ve personally never seen the usage of synthetic oil solve oil consumption due to the switch in oil itself, but in the rare event that it does, it was due to the synthetic oil cleaning up stuck ring packs or something of that nature.

In other words, the oil choice is really yours. Many have been running conventional 5w-20 with periodic oil top-up without issues, while there are yet others who have been running synthetic oil without issues either. On the RENESIS engine, the frequency of the oil change interval is quite important, as an oil and filter change only removes 4 out of the 7 quarts. Don’t ask me why, as I don’t know for sure, but I think the oil cooler has something to do with it. Also, the RENESIS engine has had abnormal fuel dilution problem, which can be quite detrimental to the protection qualities of many engine oils.

If you intend to use conventional oil, Castrol GTX, Pennzoil, and Havoline are all good choices. Redline 5w-20 would be the best synthetic oil you can use in any demanding application, given the shear-stable nature of the ester basestocks and the "overbuilt" nature of Redline's oils. Amsoil XL 5w-20 is also a good product. Regardless of oil type, I would keep oil drains between 5000 to 8000 KM.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Whatever oil you choose plan on stocking a lot of it
Old 05-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Sam ... how about taking it to the dealership as per manufacturer recommended service schedule? Then check out the RX8 forums once the car goes off warranty. (That way, you can see the problem(s) people encounter with the various oils ...)
Old 05-21-2006, 05:41 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
Whatever oil you choose plan on stocking a lot of it
Old 05-21-2006, 06:01 PM

Like this?

Old 05-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
The RX-8's are pretty sensitive to maintenance. When I delivered my first RX-8, the rep was telling me all the do's and don'ts for the car, especially starting the car and not letting it fully warm up before shutting it off, say, if you simply needed to move your car out of your driveway or something. Failure to let the car warm up, don't expect the car to start up right away...
Old 05-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Wan
Like this?

This is your stash isnt it
Old 05-21-2006, 10:07 PM

Nope. Someone else's. In those two pics, there are about 475 quarts. The cost for all of that oil, all of them bought during sales/clearances, did not cost more than $1200.

My own stash is less than 20 quarts, so you can't consider me "sick."
Old 05-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by Shoofin
The RX-8's are pretty sensitive to maintenance. When I delivered my first RX-8, the rep was telling me all the do's and don'ts for the car, especially starting the car and not letting it fully warm up before shutting it off, say, if you simply needed to move your car out of your driveway or something. Failure to let the car warm up, don't expect the car to start up right away...

yeah i heard about the flooding problem for the 8....that happens a lot to the earlier models, but the later models they have kinda resolved the problem a bit, but it still exists

if u try to move the car in the driveway u still have to run for at least 5 min b4 shutting off
Old 05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by Michael Wan
Whenever you ask what oil to use in a RX8, you’ll open up a can of worms regarding the synthetic vs. conventional debate.

Mazda’s recommendation is to use a 5w-20, non-synthetic engine oil in the RX-8. They clearly do not recommend the usage of synthetic oil, nor do they condemn it entirely.

The reasoning behind their recommendation is that they have not done long-term testing of synthetic oils in the RENESIS engine. Theoretically, rotary engines require periodic oil top-up (approx. 1/2L every 3K KM), and is important for the proper function of the RENESIS engine.

The lower evaporation loss in synthetic oils may minimize the oil consumption, which would prevent the proper operation of the RENESIS engine. As a GM engineer once discussed with me, some engines may have very aggressive cylinder wall finishes to maintain oil on the cylinder walls to keep the rings lubricated at high specific power levels. This will lead to higher oil consumption, and if synthetic is minimizing the consumption, this may be a reason for concern. OTOH, I’ve personally never seen the usage of synthetic oil solve oil consumption due to the switch in oil itself, but in the rare event that it does, it was due to the synthetic oil cleaning up stuck ring packs or something of that nature.

In other words, the oil choice is really yours. Many have been running conventional 5w-20 with periodic oil top-up without issues, while there are yet others who have been running synthetic oil without issues either. On the RENESIS engine, the frequency of the oil change interval is quite important, as an oil and filter change only removes 4 out of the 7 quarts. Don’t ask me why, as I don’t know for sure, but I think the oil cooler has something to do with it. Also, the RENESIS engine has had abnormal fuel dilution problem, which can be quite detrimental to the protection qualities of many engine oils.

If you intend to use conventional oil, Castrol GTX, Pennzoil, and Havoline are all good choices. Redline 5w-20 would be the best synthetic oil you can use in any demanding application, given the shear-stable nature of the ester basestocks and the "overbuilt" nature of Redline's oils. Amsoil XL 5w-20 is also a good product. Regardless of oil type, I would keep oil drains between 5000 to 8000 KM.
thanks a lot, this is the answer i am looking for exactly, and thanks for explaining the draining part...i didn't know that b4
Old 05-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by derrick
Sam ... how about taking it to the dealership as per manufacturer recommended service schedule? Then check out the RX8 forums once the car goes off warranty. (That way, you can see the problem(s) people encounter with the various oils ...)
i dun plan to bring it back to dealer for service, and i need to get to know the car as well coz i will be taking care of the car instead.

so i will get a chance to go for a spin

btw...i am thinking of getting her an Intake as a gift for her new car, since the parts in HK are way cheaper than canada and US
Old 05-21-2006, 11:26 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,922 Likes on 2,618 Posts
are the grammar lessons cheaper, too?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:32 PM