What do you think about the Mazda3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
What do you think about the Mazda3?

So, I think I've decided to trade in the Maxima and get something a little cheaper and a little better on gas mileage. I've been looking at economy cars but they are a hard sell for me. Sure, I want something cheap but I also want some luxury.

Anyways, I went down to the Mazda dealership at lunch having already picked out the Mazda 3s 4door Grand Touring model that I liked on the web. It was a stone/platinum grey in color and looked really good in person. The heated leather seats, Xenon HID's, and autodimming mirror were also nice. The Upgraded Bose system comes in a package with the moonroof so why not... The stereo sounded good- though not as good as the Bose in the Maxima.

Now for the test drive. The little car is very nimble and the steering is quick and precise. There was little body roll yet the car handle imperfections in the road with ease. The 2.3L engine feels good and offers better performance than I expected. Unfortunately, gas mileage isn't up to other economy car standards. This I could probably deal with.

All of the reviews and comparisons I have read have been very favorable for the 3. But what about real world experience? Does anyone know where these cars are manufactered? Do they use Ford parts?

Anyways, using my employee discount, I can get it for about 20K fully loaded (besides Navi, which I dont need in a commuter car). This is basically invoice. I'm not sure if that's a good deal. Also, all of the 3's on the lot had like a $1,150 appearance package added to them. When I asked the salesman what it was, it seemed like he started to make things up. He said it intail Pinstriping (which I don't want) and acid etched glass in case of theft. Like I really give a shit if my car is stolen and the rear passenger window ends up in Zimbabwe. Anyways, is there anyway to get around this cost???

Thanks guys,

Ash
Old 03-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually they are fine cars......good power, comfortable, generous amounts of room, handles fine. Not that expensive even when loaded.

It doesn't use Ford parts, at least not to my knowledge. The vehicle is built in Japan.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My friend has one. She seems to like it. I haven't spent much time in it so I don't have much of an opinion of it. However, you said you wanted to trade for somethign better on gas....the 3 isn't that great on gas, so you might want to prioritize your want/need list.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the reviews in car mags, it sounds like the interior is the downfall. It sounded like after a year or so it was worn out. But, I doubt they really take too much care of the cars.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Beltfed
Actually they are fine cars......good power, comfortable, generous amounts of room, handles fine. Not that expensive even when loaded.

It doesn't use Ford parts, at least not to my knowledge. The vehicle is built in Japan.

Good point about the room as that's another thing I didn't mention. I'm 6'4" and almost 200lbs. Headroom and legroom were good. Having telescoping and tilt wheel is nice and hard to find in economy cars.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Is the maxima that bad on gas? How much would you get for it?

Just curious on how much you would save.

You had a GTO and then Maxima, you sure you will be ok with the power of the Mazda. You beating the crap out of it to get going wont help with the gas mileage.

Oh and i love the Mazda3 btw. Great car.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
My friend has one. She seems to like it. I haven't spent much time in it so I don't have much of an opinion of it. However, you said you wanted to trade for somethign better on gas....the 3 isn't that great on gas, so you might want to prioritize your want/need list.

True... I put 93 octane in the Maxima now and average 25MPG on my commute. I'm sure I could get closer to 30MPG with the 3i on 87 octane.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Is the maxima that bad on gas? How much would you get for it?

Just curious on how much you would save.

You had a GTO and then Maxima, you sure you will be ok with the power of the Mazda. You beating the crap out of it to get going wont help with the gas mileage.

Oh and i love the Mazda3 btw. Great car.
There are various minor reasons to get rid of the Maxima. Mainly, it is not my car, it's my fiance's. I want to save her a couple hundred a month on her car payment and lower insurance. I didn't neccesarily pick the car out in the first place so I'm not that attached to it.

I average 25MPG which is Ok. The turning radius is horiible which makes you feel like your drive a school bus. Also, I can't park it in my driveway because it is too steep and the Maxima scrapes. Finally, I hate orange interior lighting!

I think her payment now is around $500 and I'd like her to be closer to $300. I think the trade in would be close to what she owes.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
^werd. I hate driving my brothers 04 Maxima.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JCVTLS
From the reviews in car mags, it sounds like the interior is the downfall. It sounded like after a year or so it was worn out. But, I doubt they really take too much care of the cars.

What do you mean the interior was worn out? Do you have any links?

That reminds me, does anyone know what, if anything, was changed for 07?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have an 06 Mazda 3s GT Hatch, which my Fiancee drives. She loves the car. I like it and it's pretty nice for a small car. I fit in it well (6ft, 230lbs). The interior is put together well but the leather is not up to par as my Legacy or my old CL. The carpeting also lacks. I believe our window sticker said the car was built in Japan with 95% parts from Japan. We haven't had any issues with it so far (knock on wood) but the oil is a bish to change. The oil filter is a cartridge type and there is a large plastic cover to remove from under the engine before you can get to the filter and drain bolt.

Gas mileage depends on how you drive and maintain the car.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JCVTLS
Yeah, I wasn't crazy about the interior, but that's coming from being in my TSX every day, which has a very nice interior. But for a slightly cheaper car, it's not terrible. I also didn't care for the red interior lights. Way too much red for me.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ashburner
What do you mean the interior was worn out? Do you have any links?

That reminds me, does anyone know what, if anything, was changed for 07?

For 07 they release new colors. Changed the wheels and some body effects, grill, bumpers, fog lights, etc. Engine's pretty much stayed the same, except for the mazdaspeed 3 special. I think they also added an Ipod input.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by umcp
For 07 they release new colors. Changed the wheels and some body effects, grill, bumpers, fog lights, etc. Engine's pretty much stayed the same, except for the mazdaspeed 3 special. I think they also added an Ipod input.
Ok, cool... yeah, I love the front end of the Grand Touring. It looks really sharp. I saw the iPod input and extra 12v in the center console. I wonder if you can use the controls on the steering wheel and dash to control the iPod or do you have to keep fumbling around in the center console???
Old 03-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,663 Likes on 928 Posts
The first time I drove the Mazda3 was at a Mazda event and I came away from it feeling that it is the best car in their lineup.....despite being the cheapest.

If the 4dr Mazda3 came in a Mazdaspeed version, I might have opted for that instead of my AV6.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:44 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I really like the Mazda 3!! I'm considering it as my next car too.

See my initial thoughts after my first Mazda 3 test drive a few months back:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=67
Old 03-01-2007, 02:48 PM

I'm not sure if it would bother you, but one thing to be aware of is that the Mazda 3 does not have a trunk release on the key FOB.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I'm not sure if it would bother you, but one thing to be aware of is that the Mazda 3 does not have a trunk release on the key FOB.
Very good review and our thoughts are almost the same.

Did you test drive an 07 Model? The key that I had today didn't have the keyless entry fob but I find that hard to imagine. I thought all cars had that.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Ahh... i just read some more user reviews and a few people are complaining about having to use the key to open the trunk. That does suck for me since i throw my laptop back there twice a day.

Maybe the upgraded key with remote start has it???
Old 03-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh man, that is very annoying. I had to borrow my mom's car last week, and hers doesn't have a trunk release on the fob either. What PITA.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Also, all of the 3's on the lot had like a $1,150 appearance package added to them. When I asked the salesman what it was, it seemed like he started to make things up. He said it intail Pinstriping (which I don't want) and acid etched glass in case of theft. Like I really give a shit if my car is stolen and the rear passenger window ends up in Zimbabwe. Anyways, is there anyway to get around this cost???
If you're serious on that car, color combo, etc... Just go in there and tell them they'll earn your business today, but you flat out refuse to pay for options that you have zero interest in. That is a huge money maker for them, and I'm sure many consumers don't mind paying for it.

If they balk, you walk... But these dealer add-ons are bullshit and I would flat out refuse to pay.

Or... Have them locate one that has what you're after, sans their "prep". If you already have the best discount possible, then you hold the cards.

Fucking pinstripes... Gimmie a break.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh man, that is very annoying. I had to borrow my mom's car last week, and hers doesn't have a trunk release on the fob either. What PITA.
What do you need it for? Just curious; I find that as long as there's an external release latch/button, I don't use the remote since I have to be there to open the trunk lid myself anyway.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Scrib
If you're serious on that car, color combo, etc... Just go in there and tell them they'll earn your business today, but you flat out refuse to pay for options that you have zero interest in. That is a huge money maker for them, and I'm sure many consumers don't mind paying for it.

If they balk, you walk... But these dealer add-ons are bullshit and I would flat out refuse to pay.

Or... Have them locate one that has what you're after, sans their "prep". If you already have the best discount possible, then you hold the cards.

Fucking pinstripes... Gimmie a break.
That is seriously what I was thinking too... Here is a LINK to the exact car.

No where on there does it mention this extra "option". Not until you get to the dealership do you see it. I was thinking about going to a different dealshit to see if they pull the same crap but according to there inventory, they don't have any Grand Tourings in stock.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I just traded my '04 for a 2007 Mazdaspeed3. They have done so many little things to make the new 3s better than the '04s. It was a great car.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Ash, the stealership should be able to locate the car for you. And if they refuse and say that you have to take it with the gaystripes and retardetching, then go somewhere else.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator Alumnus

and the "window sticker" (from your link) makes no mention of that crap either. You have a valid argument... One that should make them drop it completely off.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by shrykhar
What do you need it for? Just curious; I find that as long as there's an external release latch/button, I don't use the remote since I have to be there to open the trunk lid myself anyway.
When I'm carrying a bunch of crap out from the store, or coming from they gym with my bag, it's very helpful to have a release on the fob since you're not always inside the car to use the release that's in there. I hate fumbling with keys to unlock the doors or the trunk.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

When I'm carrying a bunch of crap out from the store, or coming from they gym with my bag, it's very helpful to have a release on the fob since you're not always inside the car to use the release that's in there. I hate fumbling with keys to unlock the doors or the trunk.
Exactly, in this day and age, that should definitely be included. Xenon headlamps but no keyless trunk release??? What happens when I'm drunk and I scratch up the paint trying to find the keyhole.... j/k
Old 03-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Pro

I meant like the TSX, where there's the button above the rear license plate to open the trunk. I mean, even if I use the remote release, I have to have a free hand to press the remote button and open the trunk, unless yours has a motorized mod a la Maybach.

Really, I'm not trying to be pedantic -- I just find it amusing that some people find it useful. My gf was carrying a bunch of stuff with both arms to her TSX and asked me to open the trunk; I hit the trunk release and she stood there fuming.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So, I think I've decided to trade in the Maxima and get something a little cheaper and a little better on gas mileage. I've been looking at economy cars but they are a hard sell for me. Sure, I want something cheap but I also want some luxury.

Anyways, I went down to the Mazda dealership at lunch having already picked out the Mazda 3s 4door Grand Touring model that I liked on the web. It was a stone/platinum grey in color and looked really good in person. The heated leather seats, Xenon HID's, and autodimming mirror were also nice. The Upgraded Bose system comes in a package with the moonroof so why not... The stereo sounded good- though not as good as the Bose in the Maxima.

Now for the test drive. The little car is very nimble and the steering is quick and precise. There was little body roll yet the car handle imperfections in the road with ease. The 2.3L engine feels good and offers better performance than I expected. Unfortunately, gas mileage isn't up to other economy car standards. This I could probably deal with.

All of the reviews and comparisons I have read have been very favorable for the 3. But what about real world experience? Does anyone know where these cars are manufactered? Do they use Ford parts?

Anyways, using my employee discount, I can get it for about 20K fully loaded (besides Navi, which I dont need in a commuter car). This is basically invoice. I'm not sure if that's a good deal. Also, all of the 3's on the lot had like a $1,150 appearance package added to them. When I asked the salesman what it was, it seemed like he started to make things up. He said it intail Pinstriping (which I don't want) and acid etched glass in case of theft. Like I really give a shit if my car is stolen and the rear passenger window ends up in Zimbabwe. Anyways, is there anyway to get around this cost???

Thanks guys,

Ash
If you like the Mazda 3 I would just go straight for the flagship Mazdaspeed edition. Still a hell of alot cheaper than a 2006 Maxima but the power will still be there when you want it. The DISI direct injection is probably a step ahead in fuel economy compared to regular turbo Inline-4's too.

You'll be kicking youself with how slow a regular 3 feels compared to a VQ35 Maxima.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
If you like the Mazda 3 I would just go straight for the flagship Mazdaspeed edition. Still a hell of alot cheaper than a 2006 Maxima but the power will still be there when you want it. The DISI direct injection is probably a step ahead in fuel economy compared to regular turbo Inline-4's too.

You'll be kicking youself with how slow a regular 3 feels compared to a VQ35 Maxima.
Two issues -- the MS3 gets 26mpg with premium, and it doesn't qualify for the S-Plan employee pricing.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:19 PM

Very good review and our thoughts are almost the same.

Did you test drive an 07 Model? The key that I had today didn't have the keyless entry fob but I find that hard to imagine. I thought all cars had that.
Yes, I test drove two 2007 models (the 2.0 and 2.3 engines + manual vs. auto).

I've been reading the Mazda 3 forums since the Fall and have heard rumours that Mazda might finally be adding a trunk release to the key fob for '08. Like you, I've wondered a lot why they would include a car with such luxuries as leather, HIDs, LED tail lights, steering wheel controls......but no trunk release on the fob. It would just mean you either use the release inside the cabin or use the lock on the trunk lid. I guess it depends on how much it would bother you.

I really did enjoy test driving the 3 though. It's a great car, with lots of happy owners. IMO, the interior has great fit and finish with good materials (WAY better than the American-made Mazda 6). The car was very responsive and fun to drive. Honestly, *my* only concerns were size and safety. However, that might not be a concern of yours. Oh, and in Canada, neither model is available with traction control or stability control (but is in the States).
Old 03-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Two issues -- the MS3 gets 26mpg with premium, and it doesn't qualify for the S-Plan employee pricing.
You forgot the biggest issue... 6-Speed Manual which I don't like driving on my 100 mile a day through numerous towns and all on city streets and 1 lane highways. It's fun for a while but becomes too much work.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes, I test drove two 2007 models (the 2.0 and 2.3 engines + manual vs. auto).

I've been reading the Mazda 3 forums since the Fall and have heard rumours that Mazda might finally be adding a trunk release to the key fob for '08. Like you, I've wondered a lot why they would include a car with such luxuries as leather, HIDs, LED tail lights, steering wheel controls......but no trunk release on the fob. It would just mean you either use the release inside the cabin or use the lock on the trunk lid. I guess it depends on how much it would bother you.

I really did enjoy test driving the 3 though. It's a great car, with lots of happy owners. IMO, the interior has great fit and finish with good materials (WAY better than the American-made Mazda 6). The car was very responsive and fun to drive. Honestly, *my* only concerns were size and safety. However, that might not be a concern of yours. Oh, and in Canada, neither model is available with traction control or stability control (but is in the States).
Well, that's good info! I appreciate it! I think I could deal with the key fob thing but it's rediculous that this is even an issue. I didn't drive the 2.0 because I know I want the leather and HID's for those 1 lane roads at night.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Mazda 3 is now rated 22/29 with the Auto, fuel economy is awful for such a little car.

The new V6 engines from Toyota come really close to this. In addition, how much are you really going to save by dumping the Maxima?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The ride is too firm for me. I had for a few days as a loaner during my Mazda6 days.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Senior Moderator

I meant like the TSX, where there's the button above the rear license plate to open the trunk. I mean, even if I use the remote release, I have to have a free hand to press the remote button and open the trunk, unless yours has a motorized mod a la Maybach.

Really, I'm not trying to be pedantic -- I just find it amusing that some people find it useful. My gf was carrying a bunch of stuff with both arms to her TSX and asked me to open the trunk; I hit the trunk release and she stood there fuming.
Oh, that button. Yeah, I don't use it all that often, but it does come in handy sometimes. It's definitely more of a "nice to have" accessory than a "must have." The trunk release on the fob, however, is a must have for me.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I almost bought a Mazda3 until I found my CL. I just figured for $5k less, I could have more luxury, a nicer overall car, better performance, why not? I haven't looked back since.

However, if I was to go out and buy a new car, the Mazda3 would definitely be in my top 10 to think about. I nkow a few people that have/had them and none of them had any complaints.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:36 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the mazda3 is a very nice car. i'd definitely take the 3 over the newer civic.

i'm in the minority that likes the maxima, but if you have no attachment to it, then yea, i don't see why you wouldn't trade it in. save money and drive a car YOU like to drive. however, i'd have to get used to the lack of power issue, especially after driving the maxima.

which mazda dealer did you visit?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i think the mazda3 is a very nice car. i'd definitely take the 3 over the newer civic.

i'm in the minority that likes the maxima, but if you have no attachment to it, then yea, i don't see why you wouldn't trade it in. save money and drive a car YOU like to drive. however, i'd have to get used to the lack of power issue, especially after driving the maxima.

which mazda dealer did you visit?

It was Munday Mazda.

I'm really not sure what I'm gonna do. I'll probably wait until they call me and then I'll tell them exactly what I want if they want my business.

The power issue I'm not concerned about. I rarely ever speed anymore or step hard on the gas.

Quick Reply: What do you think about the Mazda3?