Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Car Talk
Reload this Page >

Tyler's Owdi B5 S4 Build & Update(s) Thread

Notices

Tyler's Owdi B5 S4 Build & Update(s) Thread

 
Old 06-27-2016, 04:25 PM
  #361  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Wouldn't doubt it.

The 340i is roughly 320/330 to the crank @ 3600ish pounds, S4 sits (with the tune) at 300/360 to the crank at 3400 pounds.

Between much quicker & sustainable turbo spool, being younger, less drivetrain loss (RWD) and superior shifting .. makes sense to me.

Last edited by TylerT; 06-27-2016 at 04:27 PM.
TylerT is offline  
Old 06-27-2016, 05:57 PM
  #362  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66,826
Received 14,794 Likes on 11,013 Posts
this sounds a lot like a men seeking men ad.
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 06-27-2016, 06:01 PM
  #363  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,951
Received 5,841 Likes on 4,683 Posts



especially sea men...

thoiboi is online now  
Old 06-27-2016, 06:12 PM
  #364  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Tags should be:

sea men, OEM, OEM wheels, OEM semen, etc
TylerT is offline  
Old 06-27-2016, 06:15 PM
  #365  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,951
Received 5,841 Likes on 4,683 Posts
As it was written, so it shall be done!!!



thoiboi is online now  
Old 06-27-2016, 06:26 PM
  #366  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66,826
Received 14,794 Likes on 11,013 Posts
but you're buying them...so we win.
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 06-29-2016, 04:32 PM
  #367  
Ex-OEM King
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 5,823
Received 1,699 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ View Post
Finally met up with Tyler today. We took off the headliner together in about 1 hour.

Audis!
Did you have to remove the front end to take the headliner out?

Also:


SamDoe1 is offline  
Old 06-29-2016, 05:12 PM
  #368  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,495
Received 4,404 Likes on 3,313 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
this sounds a lot like a men seeking men ad.
i was thinking the same.
















so, uh... You busy tonight?
TacoBello is offline  
Old 06-29-2016, 05:42 PM
  #369  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Did you have to remove the front end to take the headliner out?

Also:
Surprisingly, it was relatively straight forward thanks to a DIY on Audizine, but we eventually got it.

Meme is on point
TylerT is offline  
Old 06-30-2016, 03:10 PM
  #370  
Your Friendly Canadian
 
Aman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Age: 26
Posts: 16,648
Received 977 Likes on 761 Posts
Saw the pics with JS earlier - car looks sweet.

How are you enjoying owning a boosted car?

Also yes, I'm hanging out around here again.
Aman is offline  
Old 06-30-2016, 04:35 PM
  #371  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman View Post
Saw the pics with JS earlier - car looks sweet.

How are you enjoying owning a boosted car?

Also yes, I'm hanging out around here again.
Thanks bruh , more pictures coming once we meet up to reinstall the headliner and head out to the canyons! His camera & lens are

To answer your question - I'm enjoying it a lot. Coming from a high-revving N/A daily for the last 2 years, it's a breath of fresh air when you build peak torque below 3,000RPM with the ability to get more (easily) with just exhaust & a more aggressive tune.

It's going to be a good year I reckon

Good to see you're back! How's the Accord running?

Last edited by TylerT; 06-30-2016 at 04:39 PM.
TylerT is offline  
Old 06-30-2016, 05:06 PM
  #372  
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
CLtotheTL32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte
Age: 30
Posts: 35,832
Received 8,599 Likes on 5,761 Posts
Aman!
CLtotheTL32 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Aman (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:06 PM
  #373  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66,826
Received 14,794 Likes on 11,013 Posts
Need one?
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 06-30-2016, 07:20 PM
  #374  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
3gstealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 38
Posts: 474
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
We appear to have the same taste in cars! I had an 02 Nogaro Blue 6MT that I traded in for my TL back on 06 once the warranty was up. I just picked up a mint 2002 S2000 last weekend to compliment my TL which I love and will never sell. The S2000 was a great find. 1 owner with 43,000 miles all stock. Black on black. 9,000 RPM shift is pure bliss! Life is good!

Last edited by 3gstealth; 06-30-2016 at 07:32 PM.
3gstealth is offline  
The following users liked this post:
TylerT (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:32 PM
  #375  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66,826
Received 14,794 Likes on 11,013 Posts
Looks like we all have great taste then

3G and S2000 is a perfect pair.
rockstar143 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
3gstealth (07-01-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:47 PM
  #376  
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
CLtotheTL32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte
Age: 30
Posts: 35,832
Received 8,599 Likes on 5,761 Posts
S2k ftw
CLtotheTL32 is offline  
Old 06-30-2016, 08:01 PM
  #377  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,951
Received 5,841 Likes on 4,683 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Looks like we all have great taste then

3G and S2000 is a perfect pair.
thoiboi is online now  
The following users liked this post:
TylerT (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 PM
  #378  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gstealth View Post
We appear to have the same taste in cars! I had an 02 Nogaro Blue 6MT that I traded in for my TL back on 06 once the warranty was up. I just picked up a mint 2002 S2000 last weekend to compliment my TL which I love and will never sell. The S2000 was a great find. 1 owner with 43,000 miles all stock. Black on black. 9,000 RPM shift is pure bliss! Life is good!


Do you miss your B5 S4 at all? Be honest

I'm right there with you, my S2000 will never leave my garage, ever.
TylerT is offline  
Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 PM
  #379  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
So... what are you waiting for?
TylerT is offline  
Old 06-30-2016, 09:54 PM
  #380  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Oh and ...





TylerT is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by TylerT:
00TL-P3.2 (07-01-2016), Aman (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:00 PM
  #381  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,951
Received 5,841 Likes on 4,683 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
So... what are you waiting for?
For you to sell it to me
thoiboi is online now  
Old 06-30-2016, 11:30 PM
  #382  
Your Friendly Canadian
 
Aman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Age: 26
Posts: 16,648
Received 977 Likes on 761 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
Thanks bruh , more pictures coming once we meet up to reinstall the headliner and head out to the canyons! His camera & lens are

To answer your question - I'm enjoying it a lot. Coming from a high-revving N/A daily for the last 2 years, it's a breath of fresh air when you build peak torque below 3,000RPM with the ability to get more (easily) with just exhaust & a more aggressive tune.

It's going to be a good year I reckon

Good to see you're back! How's the Accord running?
I'm excited to see what you do with it! Didn't know they made peak torque that low Must be nice in city driving.

Accord is doing all right. Really haven't done anything interesting since the last update besides maintenance/repairs, which is why I haven't updated the thread. Took it on a cruise yesterday down some local winding roads and it's still got a little hustle.


Tyler!
Aman is offline  
Old 07-01-2016, 07:13 AM
  #383  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66,826
Received 14,794 Likes on 11,013 Posts
Aman, we missed you.
rockstar143 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Aman (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 10:01 AM
  #384  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
For you to sell it to me


Although, I have run a scenario through my head that went something like this:

Sell the S2000, put $5k into savings, put $5k into a budget Stage III build

But, I have a feeling I would go through the same exact thing J did ... immediate ragret.
TylerT is offline  
Old 07-01-2016, 10:18 AM
  #385  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,951
Received 5,841 Likes on 4,683 Posts
That's such a a solid plan though!
thoiboi is online now  
Old 07-01-2016, 11:02 AM
  #386  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
3gstealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 38
Posts: 474
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT View Post


Do you miss your B5 S4 at all? Be honest

I'm right there with you, my S2000 will never leave my garage, ever.
I was afraid you might ask that.... do you REALLY want to know?
3gstealth is offline  
Old 07-01-2016, 11:04 AM
  #387  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66,826
Received 14,794 Likes on 11,013 Posts

he definitely doesn't wanna know...but we do!

Tyler...don't do it, man...every time you see one, it'll be a knife in your heart. If you're not eating and can't afford your rent...then sell a car. But a guy with 2 cars ain't even bout that life...
in which case...don't be a fool. If there's ever an equation where a car is extraneous it's always the "OTHER" car and not the S.
rockstar143 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
TylerT (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 11:16 AM
  #388  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gstealth View Post
I was afraid you might ask that.... do you REALLY want to know?
Absolutely!
TylerT is offline  
Old 07-01-2016, 11:39 AM
  #389  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
3gstealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 38
Posts: 474
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
Absolutely!
Ok, I don't miss it at all because of the numerous issues and heartache it caused me. I bought it CPO in 04 with 37,000 miles. Thank GOD for that CPO warranty! I'm not exaggerating here, I would wait for it to have 3-4 issues before I would bring it in for service otherwise I would never get to drive it. It was still in the shop every month. I was on a first name basis with all the service advisers. Just about every major and minor component broke during my ownership, some more than once. I take extreme care of my cars, so it wasn't due to my abuse. Ex. the AC went out 4 times, pixels in the LCD display went out, at least a dozen check engine lights over 2 years, wheel bearings, etc etc. It cemented my decision to trade it in when my sycros went out and I only could only use 1st, 5th and 6th. Audi did not want to cover it, even though it was specifically covered in the CPO. It was a month long battle! They wanted $6,800 for the repair, but I finally got it covered after I had a lawyer friend call them. I traded it in on a new 06 TL, which I still have a decade later with no issues other than a few annoying rattles that I've fixed over the years. Maybe mine was just a lemon, and I sincerely hope that you have much better luck with yours!
3gstealth is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by 3gstealth:
rockstar143 (07-01-2016), TylerT (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 11:41 AM
  #390  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66,826
Received 14,794 Likes on 11,013 Posts
God, you're such an asshole for making up that entire story just to scare little ole Tyler. Meanie.
rockstar143 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
TylerT (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 12:11 PM
  #391  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
3gstealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 38
Posts: 474
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
God, you're such an asshole for making up that entire story just to scare little ole Tyler. Meanie.
I wish I was making it up. I wanted to LOVE that car! It drove so nice when it worked. 6MT AWD with APR tune / exhaust was a treat! The TL felt so slow when I got it LOL
3gstealth is offline  
Old 07-01-2016, 12:16 PM
  #392  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66,826
Received 14,794 Likes on 11,013 Posts
No kidding, man...
I'm seriously sorry to hear of the fate of that car. You sound like a true car lover, too.
rockstar143 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
TylerT (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 12:53 PM
  #393  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gstealth View Post
Ok, I don't miss it at all because of the numerous issues and heartache it caused me. I bought it CPO in 04 with 37,000 miles. Thank GOD for that CPO warranty! I'm not exaggerating here, I would wait for it to have 3-4 issues before I would bring it in for service otherwise I would never get to drive it. It was still in the shop every month. I was on a first name basis with all the service advisers. Just about every major and minor component broke during my ownership, some more than once. I take extreme care of my cars, so it wasn't due to my abuse. Ex. the AC went out 4 times, pixels in the LCD display went out, at least a dozen check engine lights over 2 years, wheel bearings, etc etc. It cemented my decision to trade it in when my sycros went out and I only could only use 1st, 5th and 6th. Audi did not want to cover it, even though it was specifically covered in the CPO. It was a month long battle! They wanted $6,800 for the repair, but I finally got it covered after I had a lawyer friend call them. I traded it in on a new 06 TL, which I still have a decade later with no issues other than a few annoying rattles that I've fixed over the years. Maybe mine was just a lemon, and I sincerely hope that you have much better luck with yours!
I really appreciate you writing that out.

Your scenario was a bit different, though - much lower mileage & much younger, yet still yielded major issues. Sorry to hear about that and I'm sure that added to your frustration.

I went in knowing that this thing will not have reliability of it's Japanese counter part and it would have it's issue(s) - thinking otherwise (especially in 2016 & it's current mileage) is fuel for a major let down

As for my car, it currently sits at 116,600 miles. Everything you mentioned at some point was replaced by the PO (LCD Screen, wheel bearings, and much more (see post #1)). The 1-2 syncro issue seems popular, but my car shifts great - it's no S2000, but there's definitely no grinds or difficult engagements despite having some slop in the linkage Knock on wood, no CELs 'yet'

I don't want to say I bought a unicorn because it does have it's issue(s) (some of which are common for B5 S4(s)); Rear suspension groans in the morning (shock / spring replacement will be needed), rear drivers-side door window regulator is loose, slight oil leak near driver-side turbo, pulls ever so slightly to the right at highway speeds (possibly control arms?).


TylerT is offline  
Old 07-01-2016, 12:53 PM
  #394  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
God, you're such an asshole for making up that entire story just to scare little ole Tyler. Meanie.
I 'd pretty good reading this.
TylerT is offline  
Old 07-01-2016, 01:20 PM
  #395  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66,826
Received 14,794 Likes on 11,013 Posts
Hey...remember...it's all about expectation, man. He bought a new/low mileage car and expected to have no issues.
You bought the car knowing it might be trouble so your disposition overall will always be better.

Expect the worse, and deal with it...and you're happy.
He thought he bought a quality crazy fast reliable vehicle (more or less) and felt let down.

As much as people don't like to share them or admit they have them...the world runs on emotion.
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 07-01-2016, 01:38 PM
  #396  
Mi Boosta
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
TylerT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 30
Posts: 5,767
Received 1,587 Likes on 982 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
Hey...remember...it's all about expectation, man. He bought a new/low mileage car and expected to have no issues.
You bought the car knowing it might be trouble so your disposition overall will always be better.

Expect the worse, and deal with it...and you're happy.
He thought he bought a quality crazy fast reliable vehicle (more or less) and felt let down.

As much as people don't like to share them or admit they have them...the world runs on emotion.
You one wise mofo.
TylerT is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 02:03 PM
  #397  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66,826
Received 14,794 Likes on 11,013 Posts

i read deepak chopra
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 07-06-2016, 12:28 AM
  #398  
2016 Acura TLX
 
honda_nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norcal
Age: 29
Posts: 679
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Thought I'd leave this here:

That steering wheel
honda_nut is offline  
The following users liked this post:
TylerT (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 07:25 AM
  #399  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 66,826
Received 14,794 Likes on 11,013 Posts
Tyler. You must do everything that guy did please. Including wheels (yes, I said to find more modern ones earlier!).
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 07-06-2016, 08:34 AM
  #400  
3.5 psi
iTrader: (1)
 
gnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 36
Posts: 4,464
Received 761 Likes on 615 Posts
that steering wheel is sick. That's a well done car, clean and subtle.
gnuts is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tyler's Owdi B5 S4 Build & Update(s) Thread


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.