TSX V6 for next year?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 02:19 PM
TSX4LIFE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSX V6 for next year?

I was watching the LA and Chicago Auto Show on ESPN and they highlighted the TSX sedan and the new "FS" (factory sport) package offered on RSX (exterior and interior trims). In addition, comments were made that the TSX might be pumped up with a V6 version next year. If that is true, that would be awesome. I drove the TSX and it handles like a tight european sedan. More power would make it just that much better.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ibtl

sidemarker
Old 06-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Racer

I don't think acura will offer the V6 on the TSX......
Old 06-28-2003, 04:10 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
if they put a v6 in a TSX i would def want one... but judging by how much they charge for the 4cyl... you might be getting into BMW territory...

might as well get the real thing then.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: TSX V6 for next year?

Originally posted by 03cls5a
If that is true, that would be awesome. I drove the TSX and it handles like a tight european sedan. More power would make it just that much better.
Take a wild guess as to why the TSX handles so well. Here, I'll give you a hint: weight and balance. You throw a V6 into that car and suddenly you're driving an NA Accord. The TSX is so much fun because of its light weight, high revving I4. Adding a V6 won't make it compete better with other sports sedans...it will make it harder to compete.

A V6 would negate almost everything the TSX stands for and I don't think Acura is going to mess with that.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
add AWD and the additional weight in the rear from that and the fun returns...i wouldnt dout you might see that but it has been said that the TSX platform does support IMA
Old 06-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

What do you think the chances are that Acura will take a platform that they explicitly said will stay I4 and give it a V6? Not too likely. I see them keeping the I4 for a while (maybe offer a Type S sooner or later). Then, probably next generation, incorporate IMA with an updated version of the I4.

In response to Type R's first statement, I don't think adding more weight would help it. Yes, it would be a little more balanced, but it'll be a heavier car with AWD. Any way you slice it, adding a V6 would severly hurt handling.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

perhaps TSX gets new s2200 engine? 200>250hp?
Old 06-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Honda can keep it i4 and just make it 220hp+. You don't need extra cylinders to make it faster.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Zapata
perhaps TSX gets new s2200 engine? 200>250hp?
That does sound kinda cool...but I'm not sure an engine like that would translate at all to a sedan. It works great in a little roadster but that's about it. IMHO
Old 06-28-2003, 11:09 PM
I love my G sedan

That would be great. Last week I test drove it I loved everything about it except its power. It is just too slow, at least the one with automatics. Adding a V6 would be very good, however, the price would be closer to that of G35 and IS300 right?
Old 06-28-2003, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Wouldn't the TSX w/ the V6 just be a an Accord? It would be easy for them to do .. plus it would already have a 6-spd application..
Old 06-28-2003, 11:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Am I the only one that thinks a V6 would ruin this car?

It would ruin the great handling. It would ruin the high revving excitment. These are the things that make the TSX shine as one of the best cars in its segment (IMHO). A number of you said "I love the car's handling just not the performance. If it had a V6 it'd be perfect." News flash: if you add the latter, you lose much of the former. A V6 would take a step away from perfection.

Like TL_Typ_S said, if you add a V6, then you're going to end up with an Accord. If you want a bigger engine (which comes at the expense of driving excitement) then get an Accord V6.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:17 AM
TSX4LIFE

Okay, let's take a look at two options that probably might happen.......

1. Type S with S2000 realm HP. This would not hamper the handling with current supspension/steering. However, the torque is too low much like the S2000 for real low end pickup.

2. V6 power would give it larger customer base for buyers wanting more power and torque. However, it would probably nudge the TL for market share if the handling complimented the increase in cylinders. It can be done with excellent results..........case in point --- BMW and Audi!

Knowing Acura and their marketing campaign and focus, the TSX will be the sedan to the RSX and the TL will be the sedan version to something else in 2005. I do agree you don't have to have a V6 to enjoy more power; however, smooth, quiet acceleration is just not in the cards of an I4 engine.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 03cls5a
2. V6 power would give it larger customer base for buyers wanting more power and torque. However, it would probably nudge the TL for market share if the handling complimented the increase in cylinders. It can be done with excellent results..........case in point --- BMW and Audi!

Knowing Acura and their marketing campaign and focus, the TSX will be the sedan to the RSX and the TL will be the sedan version to something else in 2005. I do agree you don't have to have a V6 to enjoy more power; however, smooth, quiet acceleration is just not in the cards of an I4 engine.
Excellent handling can be done with a V6 in a BMW. That is true. But that's also a very well balanced RWD car. The TSX has handling that comes close to BMW in a FWD car only because the engine is smaller and is easier to toss around. The A4 (especially the 3.0 FWD) is not known for it's handling.

And if you set your I4 predjuces aside and actually experience the TSX, you'll find that as a sports seden (6spd) the engine sings. And as an entry level lux sedan it has smooth, quiet acceleration that rivals any of its competition.

It's amazing how a couple people around here are trying to come up with ways to fix something that really isn't broken. The TSX is a I4. It will remain an I4 for the foreseeable future. And because of this I4, it's fantastic addition to the entry level lux market.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:09 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Has anyone thought that a V6 engine wouldn't fit at all inside the TSX engine bay? ... The TSX is the Accord everywhere else, and they do not have a V6 engine in there. I'm pretty sure the TSX's engine bay is too small to throw a V6 in there.

If you like the interior of the TSX, but don't like the engine, wait for the 2004 TL. It should have an interior thats very similar to the TSX, but with a much more powerful engine. Dunno about handling yet of course..
Old 06-29-2003, 08:24 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Am I the only one that thinks a V6 would ruin this car?

It would ruin the great handling. It would ruin the high revving excitment. These are the things that make the TSX shine as one of the best cars in its segment (IMHO). A number of you said "I love the car's handling just not the performance. If it had a V6 it'd be perfect." News flash: if you add the latter, you lose much of the former. A V6 would take a step away from perfection.

Like TL_Typ_S said, if you add a V6, then you're going to end up with an Accord. If you want a bigger engine (which comes at the expense of driving excitement) then get an Accord V6.

I agree. There needs to some other method of adding power. A v6 would ruin the balance. Dunno IMA perhaps
Old 06-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by LiQiCE
Has anyone thought that a V6 engine wouldn't fit at all inside the TSX engine bay? ... The TSX is the Accord everywhere else, and they do not have a V6 engine in there. I'm pretty sure the TSX's engine bay is too small to throw a V6 in there.

If you like the interior of the TSX, but don't like the engine, wait for the 2004 TL. It should have an interior thats very similar to the TSX, but with a much more powerful engine. Dunno about handling yet of course..

At any rate.. how much weight exactly is a 3.0 liter going to add to the front end over the weight of the 2.4L I 4? Does anyone have any concrete facts, or are we just talking out of our arses as usual? What's the weight diff. b/w the I4 Accord and the V6 accord ?
Old 06-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

btw .. bimmer's 2.5L V6 is only .1L bigger than the 2.4L TSX ..
Old 06-29-2003, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally posted by LiQiCE

Looks like you beat me to it, LiQiCe.

I have strong doubts about a V6 motor being dropped into the TSX mainly because the TSX was developed as the next generation Euro Accord than would only have a 4 cyl motor. Thus, the engine bay could only probably accomodate an engine no bigger than the K24 motor.

Should there be any demand for a V6 TSX, Honda would probably do what it did with the 5G USDM Honda Accord: stretch the front end enough to accomodate a much larger motor.

Now the notion that Honda would share the impending F22 motor (S2200) with the TSX is something that is quite possible. It may lose a few lb-ft torque but it would gain 50hp in the end.

Peace.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:13 AM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Excellent handling can be done with a V6 in a BMW. That is true. But that's also a very well balanced RWD car. The TSX has handling that comes close to BMW in a FWD car only because the engine is smaller and is easier to toss around. The A4 (especially the 3.0 FWD) is not known for it's handling.

And if you set your I4 predjuces aside and actually experience the TSX, you'll find that as a sports seden (6spd) the engine sings. And as an entry level lux sedan it has smooth, quiet acceleration that rivals any of its competition.

It's amazing how a couple people around here are trying to come up with ways to fix something that really isn't broken. The TSX is a I4. It will remain an I4 for the foreseeable future. And because of this I4, it's fantastic addition to the entry level lux market.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Banned

at the very least, they need to give it a more respectable I4 engine, 200 hp is a joke in this current automotive market. the TSX should have at least the 240-250 hp an S2000 can do, especially considering its already got more displacement, theres no excuse.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:04 AM

I also saw this program on ESPN and they did mention a V-6 is coming in a high performance version of the TSX. I doubt it will happen as the TL has a V-6. THey should throw the RL engine in there, lol.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jimcol711
at the very least, they need to give it a more respectable I4 engine, 200 hp is a joke in this current automotive market. the TSX should have at least the 240-250 hp an S2000 can do, especially considering its already got more displacement, theres no excuse.
Well, it is the least they could do.
200hp naturally aspirated 2.4l is very respectable for an I4. How is 200hp a joke when it's primary competition puts out 184hp (325), 170hp (A4), and 189hp (C class)? ...and usually requires more to do so: 6cylinders or turbo.

I think Acura has realized that going overboard on HP does not translate to better sales. Look at the CLS. It had way more power than it's competition (until the G35c that is) and it's always sold poorly. The TLS (while I think it sells well) doesn't sell any better than its competition with 35hp or so less. Because of this, Acura is focusing less on hp and more on quality, luxury, and handling. This makes for a more balanced car that can still compete with the top dogs. Look at the 3 series. It's by no means a muscle car...but it's the car to benchmark because of quality and handling. That's what Acura is shooting for. And I personally welcome this change in philosophy.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Revving at 9K...

I'm with AcuraFan, it does not make any sense for Acura to dump a V6 into the TSX... it would loose the whole point of introducing this platform into the Acura line up... it's like wtf would anyone want to buy a smaller version of the TL type S?? Or better yet, why would Acura shot themselfs in the foot by having two 4-door platforms that share the V6 power plant?

On the other note... F22 from the S2K will not be a good solution because if people think that the motor is already under torqued for the roadster, how on earth will it be enough for the TSX??

IMO, Honda can beef up the Current 2.4L I4 and make that into a type S without having to change the motor. ie. higher compression, ported head/intake manafold... etc... I'm sure they can acheive 240+hp out of that motor no problem...
Old 06-30-2003, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
just add an IMA system to the rear wheels with the battery in the rear. This will give it awd, more power, and better weight distribution.

They probably designed the platform with this in mind. They probably designed the current civic with this in mind, that's why we have a hybrid civic.

Lexus probably had an IMA in mind when designing the new RX, and that's how they can easily integrate it.

Being environmentally conscious, i'm sure honda has had this in mind for most of it's current and future offerings.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Safety Car

i hope the S has at least 35 more hp and it doesn't run over 30k. not sure what they will do for power. turbo would be the obvious solution to bring torque and hp up but chance of that is .0001%. i have no doubt they can get the hp out of the 2.4 but not the torque to turn it into a beast. not sure about the 3.2v6, depends on how much its weighs compared to the 2.4 and what they could do to make it lighter, aluminum etc.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by mrdeeno
just add an IMA system to the rear wheels with the battery in the rear. This will give it awd, more power, and better weight distribution.

They probably designed the platform with this in mind. They probably designed the current civic with this in mind, that's why we have a hybrid civic.

Lexus probably had an IMA in mind when designing the new RX, and that's how they can easily integrate it.

Being environmentally conscious, i'm sure honda has had this in mind for most of it's current and future offerings.
In my mind ... this is the closest path to match with Honda/Acura strategy. I am very hopeful that they will have this ready for when I trade in my TSX after 3 years, but I have a feeling this will be an '08 (4 year mark) refresh. But hears to hoping it is released as an '06 as the TSX Type S ... cause I will be all over that 2.5 year exit from my 3 year lease :great:

I also very much agree with AcuraFan on the direction of Acura with regards to handling and quality. I am so excited to see them start to take handling serious in the sports sedan (and hopefully later coupe) market for those of us that want power, but not at the expense of tossability. We can only hope when Acura drops in the next sports luxo coupe .... all of this will be taken in to account. I want a blend of my old CLS + TSX -> CLX?
Old 06-30-2003, 06:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by provench
I want a blend of my old CLS + TSX -> CLX?
I would like to see the RSX taken up market a little too. Make it a 2 door TSX. The RSX has very little prestige. I would like to see a mid to high $20s coupe with a 200hp base engine (with a more powerful Type S coming out just after the TSX Type S). The 325i has its 325ci, why can't the TSX have a coupe. This would flesh out the lineup enough to see a new TL based coupe in a year or so...otherwise, there's a huge gap between between the current RSX and the recently upmarketed TL line.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

220 base would be more appropriate for a coupe, think acura cut themselves a little thin making 200hp the base hp considering the weight of the car.