TL feels so sluggish, loose, and full of margins!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
TL feels so sluggish, loose, and full of margins!!!

well ,, compared to a go kart, that is

I went to DC for 3 days to show couple friends around how awesome USA is. And while they were walking till their feet fell off, i was enjoying some karting for the 2 free afternoons i had.

Located right off of Dulles town center mall(? i think?)
it's really important for me to have food nearby cuz i eat like a hog when i drive fast(or,, should i say, when i try to) and the food court is awesome lol!
$120 for 10 8min race wasn't bad at all, considering all karts felt relatively same, and felt fresh.
(and i ran 24.618, it's gnawing at me i didn't beat 23.8 which is the qualifying time to drive one of the faster karts)

I think i'm gonna stop thinking of doing "performance modifications" on a TL, and just feed my piggy till i can afford an Elise. (and take out that ugly toyota engine and put a honda in it)
TL is just a cool looking family hauler sports sedan my ass.

so who loves go kart? xD i found a great place near me,, in north carolina.
I'm planning to drive by DC in mid to late Feb.. yes for that go kart thingy. I still have a few unused races on my membership.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
regional section dude

but cool story

Last edited by EvilVirus; 01-13-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words
The following 3 users liked this post by MWalsh9152:
HEAVY_RL (01-15-2013), Sarlacc (01-14-2013), SharksBreath (01-15-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by MWalsh9152
words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words
If I could thank you, I would.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Paging juniorbean...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Ahhh! The grammar and sentence structure! It burnsess!
The following users liked this post:
leedogg (01-15-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Exclamation

I got a taste of real karts over in Greece and it changes everything you thought was fast. These were shifter karts, 4 wheel disks, I think they were 250cc 2-strokes but all I remember for sure is they were 2-strokes. I've been in quicker cars obviously, it's hard to judge what they would run in a 1/4 mile because the experience is so much more brutal and you're a couple inches off the ground but they would go deep in the 12s if not quicker.

It was the handling and braking that was so unreal. Steering lock was reached in less than half a turn in either direction. It took me a few laps to get the braking points even somewhat close. They stop so quick you can feel the skin on you face being stretched. Every bit of your self preservation instinct says to lift and brake but you have to force yourself to continue past what common sense says is the point of no return. After I began getting braking points in the ballpark I got more and more daring, trailbraking into its insane cornering limits. Without the neck brace and probably without the weight of the helmet there's no way you could keep your head up. A couple times I got loose entering a corner and the super quick steering ratio was the only thing that saved me. Basically if the rear end twitches in a corner plan on going full steering lock. You can drift these bastards but everything happens much quicker than in a car, they get sideways much quicker and straighten up much quicker even under throttle.

I was with 4 girls, one being my ex who had been there a couple years before. They kept wanting to go to the go karts and I didn't want to because I thought they were normal go karts. I procrastinated for over a month before going. If I had known about them prior I probably wouldn't have done anything else. I ended up pissing off the local guy with the quickest time who also worked there. He was making fun of me and Americans that cant drive to show off for the girls. After about 15 learning laps we lined them up half a track apart and in 20 laps I caught him. I think the max speed I hit on that track was 120kmh but that feels like 200mph when you're a couple inches from the ground.

It makes even a good handling car feel like a sled. I wish there was a place like that around here where you could race karts like that for fun but it looks like you'll have to buy your own if you want the experience and I'm not about to get out on a track full of them.

To the OP, what kind of karts were you driving? I wish I knew the specs like acceleration or cornering g force or braking distances. I'll guarantee cornering Gs were in excess of 2g.

Last edited by I hate cars; 01-13-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,810 Likes on 6,565 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I read that in Smeagol's voice.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
If I could thank you, I would.
+1
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I got a taste of real karts over in Greece and it changes everything you thought was fast. These were shifter karts, 4 wheel disks, I think they were 250cc 2-strokes but all I remember for sure is they were 2-strokes. I've been in quicker cars obviously, it's hard to judge what they would run in a 1/4 mile because the experience is so much more brutal and you're a couple inches off the ground but they would go deep in the 12s if not quicker.

It was the handling and braking that was so unreal. Steering lock was reached in less than half a turn in either direction. It took me a few laps to get the braking points even somewhat close. They stop so quick you can feel the skin on you face being stretched. Every bit of your self preservation instinct says to lift and brake but you have to force yourself to continue past what common sense says is the point of no return. After I began getting braking points in the ballpark I got more and more daring, trailbraking into its insane cornering limits. Without the neck brace and probably without the weight of the helmet there's no way you could keep your head up. A couple times I got loose entering a corner and the super quick steering ratio was the only thing that saved me. Basically if the rear end twitches in a corner plan on going full steering lock. You can drift these bastards but everything happens much quicker than in a car, they get sideways much quicker and straighten up much quicker even under throttle.

I was with 4 girls, one being my ex who had been there a couple years before. They kept wanting to go to the go karts and I didn't want to because I thought they were normal go karts. I procrastinated for over a month before going. If I had known about them prior I probably wouldn't have done anything else. I ended up pissing off the local guy with the quickest time who also worked there. He was making fun of me and Americans that cant drive to show off for the girls. After about 15 learning laps we lined them up half a track apart and in 20 laps I caught him. I think the max speed I hit on that track was 120kmh but that feels like 200mph when you're a couple inches from the ground.

It makes even a good handling car feel like a sled. I wish there was a place like that around here where you could race karts like that for fun but it looks like you'll have to buy your own if you want the experience and I'm not about to get out on a track full of them.

To the OP, what kind of karts were you driving? I wish I knew the specs like acceleration or cornering g force or braking distances. I'll guarantee cornering Gs were in excess of 2g.
4 girls 4 girls 4 girls 4 girls 4 girls 4 girls 4 girls 4 girls
jk.

it was nothing special. one of those rental karts made by sodi which is better than amusement park karts and high quality, but still a rental :P check out their website.

and 6.5hp honda motor running on (probably) regular gas, judging from the smell of the exhaust, was in mint condition.
didn't have much problem because i was on throttle all the time and pretty much @ full, except the one corner after the main straight.
the track was really small and tight.
but wtf was wrong with the slippery looking polished concrete floor?! i was expecting asphalt floor which makes my back and neck all dirty...

i am far too slow to handle even 20 hp, not to mention shifter or front brake karts.
anyway last year, 28hp 2 stroke wet clutch rear brake kart scared the crap out of me, and made the back of my neck covered with tire powders, oh gotta love the power band tho.
it was a tiny little rotax 125 on birel chassis. i burnt my elbow on the engine couple times lol

lucky you! if i was ever qualified enough to try those miniature F1 cars, i would love to. but until then i'm gonna keep practicing "4 wheel drift" ahhh the fun of steering with chassis :P not a chance in TL.
hey good job in smoking the rude european. you probably shrunk his peni$ to the point where it looks like there's an empty cavity
I hate it when they start "american = straight"

*cough* 4 girls *cough* now i know why pro races have racing models
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottman111
Paging juniorbean...

OP, you need to hit me up. I race in an indoor league near Charlotte... likely similar to what you did. However, this track is one of the most technical indoor tracks in the country. They also have about 7 of the top 20 nationally ranked drivers based out of this track... so very challenging. Of course they offer walk-in races like what you did in DC.

I also race outdoor karts and have a couple of those available for rent (currently have one 2-stroke, and building out two 4-strokes). Below is my garage before I just picked up my new one at the end of December. BTW, the new one is 36.5 HP (the one I raced last year, the #10 Birel, was ~17 hp... so moving up in the world)

Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,275 Likes on 2,641 Posts
^ JB, that is soooooo cool. Also love the stands.
How much does one weight ~200lb?
A old colleague used to race up north of DC near Frederick, MD there's a couple tracks.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
The TL will decimate all, after you put about 15 grand in it or more. If you have to, overnight parts from Japan
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

^ didn't know Japanese had access to UFO alloys lol
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 4drviper
4 girls 4 girls 4 girls 4 girls 4 girls 4 girls 4 girls 4 girls
jk.

it was nothing special. one of those rental karts made by sodi which is better than amusement park karts and high quality, but still a rental :P check out their website.

and 6.5hp honda motor running on (probably) regular gas, judging from the smell of the exhaust, was in mint condition.
didn't have much problem because i was on throttle all the time and pretty much @ full, except the one corner after the main straight.
the track was really small and tight.
but wtf was wrong with the slippery looking polished concrete floor?! i was expecting asphalt floor which makes my back and neck all dirty...

i am far too slow to handle even 20 hp, not to mention shifter or front brake karts.
anyway last year, 28hp 2 stroke wet clutch rear brake kart scared the crap out of me, and made the back of my neck covered with tire powders, oh gotta love the power band tho.
it was a tiny little rotax 125 on birel chassis. i burnt my elbow on the engine couple times lol

lucky you! if i was ever qualified enough to try those miniature F1 cars, i would love to. but until then i'm gonna keep practicing "4 wheel drift" ahhh the fun of steering with chassis :P not a chance in TL.
hey good job in smoking the rude european. you probably shrunk his peni$ to the point where it looks like there's an empty cavity
I hate it when they start "american = straight"

*cough* 4 girls *cough* now i know why pro races have racing models
Sorry about the girls. They were sisters and the reason I mentioned it is the Europeans well at least the Greeks have a thing for American girls so their testosterone was in full force. One was 13 but that's legal over there so I guess all of them were fair game.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Keep Ms Piggy

Originally Posted by 4drviper
.. and just feed my piggy till i can afford an Elise...
Trust me, I've been married to an "Elise." It is better to just keep feeding your "Piggy" than get involved with an "Elise." They are high maintenance, run on alcohol most of the time, and will drive away with the first guy with more money who jumps in their seat.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Sorry about the girls. They were sisters and the reason I mentioned it is the Europeans well at least the Greeks have a thing for American girls so their testosterone was in full force. One was 13 but that's legal over there so I guess all of them were fair game.
And you smoked him!!!
God bless IHC

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Trust me, I've been married to an "Elise." It is better to just keep feeding your "Piggy" than get involved with an "Elise." They are high maintenance, run on alcohol most of the time, and will drive away with the first guy with more money who jumps in their seat.
Are those maintenance DIYable???? Hmm well it's gonna take me more than 5 years to save up 100k anyways
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I'm pitching, you aren't catching.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
I'm pitching, you aren't catching.
Maybe but a guy can dream
(Or was it a girl.....)
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
^ JB, that is soooooo cool. Also love the stands.
How much does one weight ~200lb?
A old colleague used to race up north of DC near Frederick, MD there's a couple tracks.
Class minimum is 345 lb in the Yamaha class (the two red ones) with driver. Kart alone is probably around 175lb or so. My new one (Rotax) is 365lb minimum. That kart probably weighs closer to 185lb or so...
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Senior Moderator

BTW, have one of my KT100's for sale. Race ready

http://ekartingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=120122
Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts

OP probably went to allsport http://www.allsportsgp.com/
Their site says they use modified sodikart gt4's http://www.sodikart.com/en/kart-gt-4.html
allsport was ok, imo a little overpriced. It is cool how they keep track of everybody's race and lap times though.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
I just realized I have no idea what being full of margins means.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Stop making threads. Please.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by leedogg
OP probably went to allsport http://www.allsportsgp.com/
Their site says they use modified sodikart gt4's http://www.sodikart.com/en/kart-gt-4.html
allsport was ok, imo a little overpriced. It is cool how they keep track of everybody's race and lap times though.
$12/race isn't bad (per OP's post). Our track is $20/race, but they constantly run specials buy two, get two (making it $10/race). Karts seem similar as far as speed goes...

Then again, it's all about the margins...
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
$12/race isn't bad (per OP's post). Our track is $20/race, but they constantly run specials buy two, get two (making it $10/race). Karts seem similar as far as speed goes...
Seems marginally better as karts go..
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Off topic, but you daily drive your Grand National?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ruby
Off topic, but you daily drive your Grand National?
I did from '94 (the summer between junior and senior year) to December of '05 when I bought the TL. I even commuted 210 miles round trip for almost 6 months at it's current hp level. It seemed like such an old car back then but my TL is approaching the same age lol.

Last edited by I hate cars; 01-15-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts