Title Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 10:16 PM
101 years of heartache...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Title Question

I've officially turned down my dad's offering of our 2004 Acura TSX. Tomarrow (Wed) or Saturday, I'm driving down to the University of Chicago to pick up a 1990 Honda CRX HF. We've agreed on $400. I'm a little down on the engine, doesn't seem like fun, but hey, for $400?

Other than some information I should know before I head down to make the deal (if it's done), should I sign for the title, seeing that despite my age, I am still with my parents for about another 6-7 months?

Here is the car itself. Critiquing is always welcome. Thanks in advance.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/car/131537923.html

Mike
Old 02-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Should put it under your dads name so he can put it under his insurance policy. Would be cheaper.

Even at $400, who knows how much you have to put into it.

What you need it for? College? Why ya reject the tsx?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Drifting

Its not terrible lol. My boyfriend just got a beater truck off of craigslist for $450, and after cleaning it up some (hadn't seen wax in years) and banging out some dents, its in good shape. We lucked out and my dad had new bumpers laying around that fit, and the engine and transmission just checked out fine. Take it to a mechanic right away and get everything checked out-did you run a carfax on it?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:39 PM

I don't want to be driving around a car valued at that much at my age, and the money my dad would put into a new car (a next-gen ES or A6) would be better off for my college education. I plan on going into dental school, so I need to build up some money now for later. This car would be used to get me to and from school, work. When it's available, I'd drive the TSX (mostly on weekends).

I'm not expecting too much work on it, after all, it is one of history's most dependable vehicles. Finally, would it be alright to sign off on it to drive the car home, then put it under my dad by transfering it to him? He cannot come down with me tomarrow, and he does not like this idea at all.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
No offense but i wouldnt like this idea either. I rather my son drive somthing a little safer.

But much respect for you wanting to buy this on your own.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ZtotallynakedZ
Its not terrible lol. My boyfriend just got a beater truck off of craigslist for $450, and after cleaning it up some (hadn't seen wax in years) and banging out some dents, its in good shape. We lucked out and my dad had new bumpers laying around that fit, and the engine and transmission just checked out fine. Take it to a mechanic right away and get everything checked out-did you run a carfax on it?
No, and I wasn't planning on taking it to the mechanic. I think I will though, but it'd require me giving him the money. That lands me the risk of getting myself hosed, but I will decide upon our meeting. Also, I'll post a VIN as soon as I get it from him.

Mike
Old 02-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Holdin it down for MS

I have MAD respect for you wanting to buy the car yourself, but I would pass on the CRX for 2 main reasons reasons:

1. Safety. There is no telling about this.

2. Repairs and break downs etc etc. I can see you want to save money for school and want to get a cheap car, but you have to do an analysis of how much it costs to repair and and stuff. I believe it to be more financially sound to get a slightly more expensive car, and hope that that offsets the cost of repairs you would put into the CRX.

My
Old 02-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
gocubsgo55 you're pretty smart for a young man

BUT, my college car was a 76 pinto station wagon
Old 02-08-2006, 08:04 PM

I bought it. $360, end of story. It needs;

-front brake rotor replacements
-rear right tail light
-right sideview mirror
-a bolt on the left hinge of the hood

Chicagoans, get this. We had to drive it from Hyde Park to Morton Grove, in these conditions
Old 02-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
You mean in Illinois the car doesn't have to be checked by a mechanic before the title changes hands?! In Ontario, the car has to be 'safetied' by a mechanic (ie list the things that need to be fixed to make it 'street legal') before one can get a plate to drive it on the road.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:17 PM

naw, and me and my friend both agreed to just be good customers, save the trip (and $$) to the mechanic, and just take the offer.

From 2 drives in the car;
Pros-

-Heats up quickly, and no AC does not hurt me at all, since I love the summer time's open windows
-Very light, and despite 60 HP, it's pretty peppy. No, I'm not just saying that because I own it, it really is a nice little car.
-Decent shifts for an old car
-PRICE, I mean, the engine is in great shape, and the paint is very nice
-Interior is VERY well-kept
-40 MPG

Cons (not too bad)
-For somebody who is very tedicous about his (family's) cars' conditions, it's a pain to see so many dings and scratches.
-Interior smells of mothballs, because it kept rats away when the car was in a barn.
-It's a DOG on slope (obviously). Took me a stall and another almost-stall to back it out of the little crest dipping down from my drive way onto the street.
-Needs some work, but it could be a LOT worse

Overall, I'm happy knowing I'm driving what I love, a manual tranny. This was my dream used-car, and I got it. Sure, I'll miss the amenitites of my dad's TSX, but I'll take that out when with friends on the weekends or something. I know I'll need to invest more money into it, but I feel absolutely great knowing I worked for my car, and did not ask my parents for money. They won't put a dime into any of this, unless they want to learn to drive stick

Hopefully it'l hold up. It held up a crazy snow-storm during a 1.5 Hour bumper-to-bumper commute, but I don't want to jinx anything.