Thoughts on the 05 RL

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 10:10 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Thoughts on the 05 RL

Inspected the 05 RL today
(my original post got put in the bike section?, there are quite a few car posts there too?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked over the new RL today for quite a while with a salesman.

Exterior styling C-- maybe a D+, I expect a lot on styling and for $50k there is not enough. Non-descript. Looks more like a puffed up Accord than a distinctive new style. Not sporty at all like the TL. Actually recalls the original CL with the tailights/tail shape, just kind of drops off too fast. not a good thing IMO. Some of the lighter colors (a light blue) looked awful on it, IMO. I like the shorter length, it did not seem too big at all. for $50k I'd want more style.

Interior styling B+ Clean, precise, maybe too many buttons! I counted over 45 total buttons on the center console and lots on the overhead panel. Real wood looked like plastic and felt thin, polish might have improved it. This was the tan interior, the black looks much more dramamtic.

Tech goodies A, esp. the Navi interface and computer. Voice control for everything, not sure if I like that though. Does it work well in the TL??

Audio A, XM radio, DVD audio test disc was awesome! sounded like the 10 speakers were everywhere, and yes, I've heard the TL too.

Fit and finish A- looked flawless. nice touches all around. Door sounds were tight, even trunk looked very clean with new kind of hinge. All closed very nicely. The black paint with the blue flake looked much better than on other Acuras I've seen, looked very thick. The leather seemed the same quality? as on all Acuras, no better.

Value? - Don't know, but for $50k I want more body styling.
Didn't drive it but the best features on the car are the AWD and the paddle shifts.
What do you guys think??

other features - electric rear sunshade and headrests, side sunshades, no key- like Lexus, just touch the door handle to unlock car, do not need to insert key to start car, lots of gadgets and gizmos. throw the entry fob in the trunk and shut it, it reopens cause it knows the fob(key) is in there. This car is like driving a computer on wheels, but looks user friendly. Bring on the coupe!!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds quite impressive...i will try to give it a look over when i take my car in for service this weekend.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah that was a good impression on the 05 RL but its the Car & Bike section.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
Inspected the 05 RL today
(my original post got put in the bike section?, there are quite a few car posts there too?)
Why do you think the post belongs in the 2nd Gen CL section?

Car & Bike Talk seems fine to me.

I saw and read your original post.

I don't like to read cross posts, especially on the same BBS.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:35 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Oh, I never noticed them moving Acura reviews to that section. Sorry for the 2nd post. But how often does a totally new Acura come out?

I thought it would be good for the main board, since the RL or TL are THE indicators of what the new COUPE might be like, for us CL coupe drivers.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Banned

New TL came out last November, TSX came out last April, RL this October. RDX next October. Lots of new Acuras coming out!

I wish a new CL would come out but I think at least another 5 years.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:08 PM
FWD tuna boat

i absolutely fell in love with the RL when i first saw it. love the styling...front end is WOW...and 300 hp AWD = instaboner! i'd prefer the RL over lexus, bmw, merc, etc...
Old 10-21-2004, 12:33 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Well no discussions of other Acuras on the main board.

You loved the RL styling? wow. that's interesting.

5 years for a new coupe ?, no way. There will be a new coupe within 1-2 years is my guess and it'll be around $35-40k IMO.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man you were pretty rough on the styling. I have not seen it in person but am very impressed with the pictures so far. What other 50k cars have some amazing styling like you want?

BMW : Not a fan at all of the bangle styling and from sales most others aren't as well

Mercedes: E class is pretty nice but a little too similar to the C class. Don't like how all mercedes are starting to look alike (see new SLK for an example)

Lexus: HAH LS 400 is the most boring car on the planet.

Audi: Nice styling but A6 is looking a little long in the tooth to me. Really liked it about 4 years ago. Even with the new nose it looks too much the same

Any others you are comparing to? What gets an A for you in styling
Old 10-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Banned

In order for Acura to come out with a brand new product they'll need a platform for it. And the car will have to be built in Ohio with the TL and Accords. Next year the RDX will probably come out followed by the NSX the following year. Then the next year the new RSX. Maybe a CL could get squeezed out but I don't see it being priced higher than an RL yet lower than the NSX. Would be tough not to canabalize NSX sales.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:59 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Well 95gt, I grant you that most sedans aren't style groundbreakers, but I always thought the Audi A6 was a successful sedan styling. But now most cars have very little style IMO.

In the RL segment (whatever that is) I realize conservative looks are the norm. Maybe it's cause I'm not a sedan buyer, if I wanted a sedan I'd get the TL. The RL just looks like it has hardly any personality. I thought Acura did amazingly well pulling out the new TL styling and so I expected something more distinctive for the RL.

I guess most RL buyers will be happy with it, but I don't think they'll buy it for the looks.

Chabanais, the platforms they could use for a coupe already exist. The CL was off the Accord and/or the TL. it's true Acura has created a lot of new models in the last 2 years. but no coupes. I've owned 4 Acuras, all coupes, (Legends and CLS). there's nothing new at Acura for nearlux coupe buyers.