Thinking about Infiniti or Audi: opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Thinking about Infiniti or Audi: opinions?

OK, we're thinking about scooping up an Infiniti or Audi. It wouldn't be for me, but for my wife... she's due for a new car and we're going to start test driving in the next 2-3 weeks.

As far as the Infiniti's go we're looking at the G35 sedan or the FX35. If it was up to me we'd get the G35c, but she needs 4-doors. I know there is a topic about the G35 sedan, so I'll read up on that in there. My biggest question is if any of you guys have any experience with the FX35? I know it's a nice truck and drives nice, but how does it drive? Is it smooth, rough, etc? From what I read the fact it's built on the G35 platform makes the ride pretty sweet. I'm sure when we test drive it we'll find out for sure. How about MPG? Any insight on that? I know what the reviews say, but I'm looking for real world numbers. Any help is appreciated. Oh and BTW, you Infinity guys... be sure to check out our site... we just added the G35 and 350Z sections ( www.c-c-c.net )

How about the A4? I know we have a few members who have or had that car. We're looking into the 1.8T and this is something that we probably would not keep after the warranty expired. Everyone I've talked to warned me against the A4 b/c of problems they've had or problems someone they know has had.... any input on that? We're going to do the 24 hour test drive next week, but that won't really give us an idea of reliability. Any input there?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have a friend with the new A4, drives great and is really nice inside and out. if she is not too power hungry she would probably like it. G is much more powerful, larger, but not as nice inside.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I've driven the FX once, basically around the block. It's wonderful. Rides nice, very comfy...

The one thing that sort of turns me off about it, is the lack of cargo room. In my father's MDX, you can put a lot of "stuff" in there. The FX is very short, with a much lower ceiling... Can't get as much "stuff" in there... Similar to the X5 from BMW and the RX330 from Lexus. Granted it's a crossover SUV, but... If you're looking to haul stuff in the back, looks elsewhere for a SUV.

Now... If rear storage isn't a top priority, I'd be all over it. It's pretty freakin' sweet.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both cars are very good. The FX35 is very cool as well. I have a few friends with them and the ride is somewhat harsh because of the wheel size but they are cool. The FX45 is a beast! The space inside for passengers is very comfortable but the space for luggage etc. is very limited, because of the shape.

The Audi A4 is another great car, but the 1.8T is very underpowered (maybe she doesn't care) and the V6 adds a lot to the MSRP. They are dealing on the 1.8T but not on the V6 (I think). There are a lot of $329 per month lease offers on the 1.8T. (Paul Miller). Audi includes all the service which is a big help but they stick strictly by THEIR maintenance schedule. When they say the first oil change is at 7500 miles, they mean 7500 miles!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Banned

I just help pruchase an FX35 for my uncle, overall he loves it, but kinda tight interior, drives like a car, he bought it in Janurary 03 used with 200 miles on the OD last owner didn't need the truck, 31500 out the door, it was a killer deal.....
Old 03-18-2004, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

95gt - yeah, she's not overly power hungry... I mean, she drives a 94 Camry now . She's worked her ass off so she deserves a nice car, I just don't think the V6 Audi is in our range. I mean, it could be... but we just don't want to spend that much on a car, you know? I figured with the turbo the extra torque boost in the 1.8T will make the car feel quicker then it is... and should be plenty for her. She is a great driver, but I don't want to give her too much power . Like I said she's going to do the 24 hour test drive thing... so she'll be able to take it to and from work for a day... so that's good... I'm more concerned about problems and reliability.

Scrib - Cargo room isn't terribly important. The odds are if she's carrying passengers they won't have much luggage, and if there's a decent amount of luggage, it's probably the two of us going away. It's also a vehicle we'll probably keep when we have our first child. From there we may need more room, not sure... but that's further down the road (4-6 years). I have a feeling once she drives it she's going to love it and I'm more comfortable with the reliability of that over the A4.

gto - that's good to know about the service. As long as they give loaners we should be OK. The Audi dealer is literally 5 miles from our house... so that would be convenient. My other concern is with mods. I'm sure they're very anal. I wouldn't do much since it's not my ride... but rims/tires and probably exhausts. Hopefully they aren't that anal about it.

essarak - That's pretty much what we're looking for. We'd be shooting to Park Ave Infinity and if they're as good as Acura, scoop something up from there. We're hoping for a very low mileage FX35. Not sure we'd spend the coin for a new one when one with a few hundred miles can be had for thousands less. Better off letting someone else take that initial hit

Thanks for the replies so far. Any feedback on the FX35's gas mileage? Her car now is getting old, so effeciency is suffering, so she's only getting about 21-23 mostly highway now... so curious how the FX35 stacks up....
Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm amused that you are the CL moderator yet you drive a TL. I'm itching to suggest that you give her your TL (4 door) and you get a CL 6 speed. Maybe you had a CL before, I don't know.

But I see she wants a new car. The FX seems to be all about styling, it's not a real SUV, more like a sporty 5 door car. (I don't like SUVs generally anyway).
I guess I have no real help for you, cause I mostly like coupes. I've driven the G35 coupe and thought it was nice but overpriced due to what I feel is a lower quality car than the Acura. I love Audis but like the BMW, I don't want to pay a premium price for a car that is not as reliable as the Japanese. If Audi made a coupe in my segment that was reliable, I'd want it. If BMW made a coupe with more features and better reliablility I'd want that too.
Nothing matches the CLS for quality, reliability, features.
Good luck on your 4 door search. If I was getting a 4 door, it would definitely be an 04 TL, 6 speed. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Administrator Alumnus

JB... Would you go the RWD or AWD route in the FX? RWD gas mileage is 17/23, AWD is 16/22.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by juniorbean

Thanks for the replies so far. Any feedback on the FX35's gas mileage? Her car now is getting old, so effeciency is suffering, so she's only getting about 21-23 mostly highway now... so curious how the FX35 stacks up....
http://www.intellichoice.com/reports...ection/economy

And if you want to own one, it's InfinitI, no y. :P
Old 03-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Team Owner

I like the FX, but I couldn’t live with the “35” knowing that there was that big HONKING V8 available in the “45”.
Now if Infinity would just put a little more effort into their interior design.

Shawn S
Old 03-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

123456speed - glad to amuse you If you must know the history.. started off with the board on day one.. owned a 1998 CL, started off modding in the First Gen forum, and got moved up about 4 years ago. Then in 2001 I sold my CL and upgraded to a TL-S since I need 4-doors and the TL-S is basically a 4-door CL. FYI, the 2004 TL is on the list as well (although it's currently #3 on the list) but being an Acura fan I know pretty much everything about that car already, so it's not an issue. The A4 and FX35 are new territories though

Scrib - AWD, definitely. Now RWD up here Plus, it's only 1mpg difference. I've read those MPG numbers too and I'm wondering if the real world gas mileage lives up to them.

tmk - hehehehe, whoops.. I do that once in a while. I got it right most of the time Problem is that I'm also looking at Infinity speakers for my surround sound... so I'll replace the I with the Y once in a while . Plus, it's only the dealer's name where I spelled it wrong Oh and thanks for the link.. hadn't read Intellichoice's review yet
Old 03-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Shawn S
I like the FX, but I couldn’t live with the “35” knowing that there was that big HONKING V8 available in the “45”.

Shawn S
LOL, if it was my car.. different story <timallengrunt> the more power the better </timallengrunt>.

But from everything I've read they say the FX35 is very close to the FX45, and most people prefer the 35 over it for stuff like better MPG, lower insurance, etc. Doesn't matter though.. FX45 is more then we want to spend now anyway.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Jens has buddies at Park Avenue Infiniti!
Old 03-18-2004, 11:47 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Oh, not complaining here, I think you do a great job for us current CL owners, but when an Acura enthusiast's wife has the excellent 04 TL third on a list, under a possibly used, entry level Audi (and IMO overpriced), and Infiniti sedan and SUV, it makes me wonder what Acura can do to make their cars more appealing to car buyers. Personally, I feel the new TL addressed almost every issue I had with the TL/CL models. Excellent interior, dash, and Navi, more techy, more interior colors, better styling...now, if it just had 2 less doors.
I wonder if Acura will ever regain their market they had when they first sold Legends. They really did a great job on the new TL but maybe it's too expensive or it's the front drive complaint. I've seen very few 04 TLs on the road.
Just pondering, have fun shopping for a new vehicle.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Thankfully you don't design car interiors, or they'd all look like my 1991 Honda Accord.

Have you sat in the FX? Have you driven it? Probably not.

Last time I sat in my Dad's MDX, I wasn't taken back by the design.

To each his own.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Masshole

No shit...the FX interior is SWEET.

Old 03-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Banned

My friend currently is loook at a A$ v6 and a infinti g35, I would say go infiniti bc audis around here can give u two shits about your sale. infinit nonetheless will put an effort into selling you a car. Thats my .02 and im not a big fan of audi i think they are overpriced
Old 03-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Banned

a4 i mean
Old 03-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Banned

no g35 unless you want to have the slower car

and fX35 cause even the 45 will give your tl and run for its money and will definetly outplay you in the playa dept.

if you still want to wear the pants in the house you better go to the Honda dealer and look at accords IMO
Old 03-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Scrib
Have you sat in the FX? Have you driven it?
YES and YES.
The FX interior is MUCH better then the G35, but I still prefer the MDX inside.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Old timer

You can get a used, low mileage, well-kept B5 '01.5-'02 Audi S4 for high 20s to $30k. Get more power than an A4 and still can get it with Tiptronic if she doesn't drive stick. Just an idea. Plus the Avants are sexy! =)
Old 03-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Poppin them thangs

Id say go for the FX, at least u have options when it snows...

1. FX
2. 04 TL
3. G
Audi

How can u say no to this? sweetness
Old 03-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Masshole

I still prefer the MDX inside.
Too bad the MDX is ugly as shit outside.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by tmk70
Too bad the MDX is ugly as shit outside.
That's why I said INSIDE.
I want a 2-Door FX-45 with an Acura interior.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:45 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Originally posted by JRock
You can get a used, low mileage, well-kept B5 '01.5-'02 Audi S4 for high 20s to $30k. Get more power than an A4 and still can get it with Tiptronic if she doesn't drive stick. Just an idea. Plus the Avants are sexy! =)
you mean get ripped off for the car and then have to keep paying for repairs just to keep it on the road...no thanks!
i say infiniti if you want suv, and 04 tl if you want car
Old 03-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I really do like the fx35. If price isnt an issue then go for that. Do you have kids? Do you need to be using that much gas driving around with it? Oh and infinit service is top nootch from what i hear. So thats always a good thing.

But for the money i am really liking my A4. ($31k loaded) Plus i get great gas mileage. No problems as of yet. I been on their forums and seems as if the only major problems they had were with coilpacks going bad. But from what i have read they fixed that in the late 2003 models.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:51 PM
DP's for life

Junior-

What about the Nissan Murano...I bought my wife one and she loves it. It is very comfortable has good power and is very pleasing to the eye both inside and out. The FX35 is very similar to the murano but about 5k cheaper...If I had to pick the Audi vs. the Murano for my wife I would still choose the Murano. It is great to drive and is very functional.

As a side note the AWD system in the Nissan is very good, at least for the winter's of Colorado.

Good luck you cannot go wrong with either the Murano or the FX35...
Old 03-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

123456SPEED - LOL, I was just messing with ya . To be honest the TL was at the top of the list until it got released. Just not a big fan of the new styling. All of the features, etc. are sweet... but it reminds me too much of a Camry from the side and back (I love the front though). So it slipped to #3, and that's only b/c I'm an Acura fan. If it were totally up to her she probably wouldn't even test drive it.

lou - LOL.. I can't even believe I'm going to bother responding to this.. but you have issues man, serious issues. When you decide to settle down with woman you'll come to learn that there is no such thing as I anymore... it's about we and us. So yes, the FX35 would be "her" primary car... but it's really our car.. and either person could drive either car at any time. So, to put it in "lou" terms, we would both be PIMP on any given day.

JRock - Nah.. too many problems with those S4's, plus, she doesn't need that kind of power. I wouldn't mind it.. but she doesn't need it

Crazy - No, no kids... they're a good 4-6 years away. Not in a rush for that. And yes, she would be driving at least 60 miles a day commuting.. possibly more. The thing is that her car now gets 22mpg, so if the FX35 gets 22mpg... it's the same thing. I do like the new A4s.. especially the 2004's since they got rid of that grey lower cladding and made it body color. Yummy. And yeah.. it's cheaper then the FX.. so that's a plus.

Artwork - I suggested the Murano as well.... I just thing we like the styling of the FX35 better... much more aggressive. We may go drive one anyway since the Nissan dealer is 3 miles away and we know one of the sales managers.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Also does she not mind parking a big suv like the fx35? Im sure parking in NY is a bitch.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
Also does she not mind parking a big suv like the fx35? Im sure parking in NY is a bitch.
Nah, none of those problems here. I'm about 50 miles north of the city... so no street parking up here
Old 03-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Senior Moderator

She doesnt like the 04 TL?
Old 03-19-2004, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
She doesnt like the 04 TL?
Yes and no... we both love the new features etc but neither of us really like the new style... not enough to spend $32k+ on it anyway. We are going to drive it for shits and giggles to see how it rides. I've seen a few with rims and a body kit which makes it look sooooo much nicer... so I've forwarded her the pics and said we can do that if we get it . Like I said before... it's on the list... it's just below the FX35 and the A4.....
Old 03-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

YES and YES.
The FX interior is MUCH better then the G35, but I still prefer the MDX inside.
I have to totally disagree. The MDX interior isn't anything special whatsoever. Did you ever feel the dashboard material? It's hard plastic instead of the soft material on the CL. The CL has a much better interior over the MDX.. It may look similar, but feels much different. The design is SO dated too. It's the late 90's TL design.

Acura does make increadible interiors such as the TSX and new TL, but the MDX interior is nothing to brag about. I much prefer the FX interior to the MDX.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Masshole

Knowing y'all aren't really into the TL, and not having sat in an FX, I would think it would be more roomy for passengers than a TL. I sat in a TL at the dealer, and it was kinda cramped.

I think the FX is nice-looking, too.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

C'mon JB, spring for the FX45. You want your honey to ride in style!
Old 03-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Pro

Hey JB,
has she or you driven both cars yet? That might help her decide. If it were me I'd me a little more inclined to go with the G35. Even if the AUdi is under warranty, I think their service is garbage. And even if it's a covered visit, if you go in a lot it still sucks. The 1.8T is a good engine.....with a chip. Especially in the newer, heavier body style. Mileage improves with a chip actually, provided she doesn't develop a lead foot. I can get 450 miles out of a tank = 30 mpg or so if I stay off boost. But that is pretty much a cruise control all highway trip. With the work done to my car, which is a big turbo and larger injectors, I average abotu 290-320 miles per tank. This is with mixed city highway and traffic driving....and 20 psi of boost Good luck with the descision.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:48 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Originally posted by Ray Khan
Hey JB,
has she or you driven both cars yet? That might help her decide. If it were me I'd me a little more inclined to go with the G35. Even if the AUdi is under warranty, I think their service is garbage. And even if it's a covered visit, if you go in a lot it still sucks. The 1.8T is a good engine.....with a chip. Especially in the newer, heavier body style. Mileage improves with a chip actually, provided she doesn't develop a lead foot. I can get 450 miles out of a tank = 30 mpg or so if I stay off boost. But that is pretty much a cruise control all highway trip. With the work done to my car, which is a big turbo and larger injectors, I average abotu 290-320 miles per tank. This is with mixed city highway and traffic driving....and 20 psi of boost Good luck with the descision.
man you sure?? my bro's 18t a4 was getting max 280 mpg in stock form!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:27 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Hmm, for a 4 door, I don't think the new TL is bad at all, and I don't like 4 doors. I don't think Audi sedans are that gound breaking anymore, the A6 is sweet, the A4 looks like any econobox, not that distinctive IMO.
I've always liked the A6, but the A4 doesn't have many looks IMO.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Instructor

I'm a sales manager for Infiniti of Columbus - if you decide on the Infiniti, PM me - I'll get you the deal you want without the BS.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i'd get the audi

Quick Reply: Thinking about Infiniti or Audi: opinions?