Test drove a 330Ci this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 05:41 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Test drove a 330Ci this afternoon

Yep... My wife and I took a spin over to the local Bimmer dealer. I drove an automatic and manual 330Ci.

My impressions...

Acceleration - The car is sneaky quick. When I'm WOT in the Acura, I have a better feeling on how fast I'm going. The motor in the 330Ci seems more refined, and quieter, but when I would look down at the speedo. I was consistently surprised with my speed. It didn't FEEL quick, but it always seemed to surprise me. The automatic seems a bit slower than my CL, but the manual seemed a bit more peepy. Enough to where I think it'd be a close race between the two. I really didn't beat on either of them too much, but I jumped on them both enough to get a pretty good idea.

Handling - BMW hands down. My wife nearly shit herself twice when I took the corners at a decent speed in the car. The manual was so much more fun... the car would just whip around the corner. The backend didn't try to slip out at all... No wheel spin. I tried the same cornering in the CL afterwards, and the understear was so noticeable in my car. The 50/50 weighting, combined with the RWD of the bimmer really did outshine the CL. That and the Pilot Sport tires on the 330Ci help too... Any of you that think the CL could hang with the 330Ci or even 325Ci need to go drive one. There is no way possible.

Fit n' Finish - Tough call, but I think I'd have to give it to the BMW. The REAL wood trim is a nice touch. The sport seats kick ass, although the CL seats are just as nice IMHO. Everything was really well placed in the car though...

Interior - Tough call again. The HK sound system in the 330Ci was hands down better than the CL. I was a bit confused on the whole climate control thing. The on-board computer was nice; instant MPG calculations, etc. Both driver's side and passenger's side windows were one touch down and UP. I don't understand why Acura could do something like that. Lots of controls on the steering wheel. Almost too many... Three setting for the heated seats. A big plus for my wife whom I really think is cold blooded.

Exterior - I like the bimmer and CL the same really.

Warranty - BMW. 4yr/50K with all service included. Granted after the warranty is up, it costs a shitpot to fix the car. I'm not sure how much more things, are though. Anyone have an idea???

Conclusion - I liked the 330Ci. Enough to buy one? Yep. Am I going to sell the CL and buy one? Maybe. It's a tough call... I'm going to have to crunch some numbers.

I'll answer the question most of you are probably asking yourselves right now... "Why did you buy the CL in the first place?" Honestly, I really do like the CL. And at the time I bought the CL, I didn't think I could afford much more than that. Turns out we could, if we WANT to. Also, this whole transmission thing is really pissing me off. I can tell my tranny shifts harder already. Even though it will be fixed under warranty, it's still something that I really don't want to deal with. The car is going to be sold after the warranty is up anyway... I'm not going to plunk down 4K for a transmission that SHOULD not break.

I welcome questions, comments, concerns. Seriously... If you think I'm crazy, tell me.

Oh yeah.... Ernie (Eclipse23) -- I saw an Imola Red ///M3 convertible at the dealer. VERY nice color choice!
Old 09-14-2002, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 700 Likes on 542 Posts
If I had the money, CL would be gone, potential candidatats:
BMW, Audi, or Maxima SE
Old 09-14-2002, 06:03 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have money to blow.........german performance.....otherwise stick to japaneese
Old 09-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Nice review
Old 09-14-2002, 06:17 PM
Balla on a Budget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked for a bimmer when i was lookin for a car, and i decided on the CL! To me it did not make much sense to pay $10k more for the BMW name. I always hear about the handling on these cars, but u got to keep in mind that the CL is quite a larger car.

With that said, also i would not be able to afford the maintaince on this car cause BMW service is foookin expensive. It would come down to

BMW SERVICE bill vs tuition for college! Maybe after I gradaute I can afford that M3 that i've always liked.
Old 09-14-2002, 06:27 PM
SpOon!!!!!!!

I guess you can make the comparasion...but do realize you get what you pay for...to a certain extent anyways. I would get the 330ci if I had the money.
Old 09-14-2002, 06:34 PM
Instructor

I'd rather put my money on Audi or Mercedes......
Old 09-14-2002, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
Nice review
STFU! :P
Old 09-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Nice review
Old 09-14-2002, 07:58 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

in a way they are completely different cars hard to compare the two..... one is a TRUE sport coupe and one is luxo sport coupe.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:15 PM
I love my G sedan

BMW????:o
Old 09-14-2002, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Zapata
in a way they are completely different cars hard to compare the two..... one is a TRUE sport coupe and one is luxo sport coupe.

330ci doesnt have luxo? It has EVERYTHING the CLS has.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:49 PM
Administrator Alumnus

If I could only find a buyer for my car...
Old 09-14-2002, 09:14 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Of course but one is built with luxo in mind and SPORT as the essense the other is/was affordable luxo w/ sprinkle of sport.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:35 PM
Race Director

330>CL-S

Driven both.

It's a no brainer.

If only the v6 A4 was faster i would hav one.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:36 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Are they coming out with a new S4?
Old 09-14-2002, 10:13 PM
Banned

Re: Test drove a 330Ci this afternoon

Originally posted by Scrib
Yep... My wife and I took a spin over to the local Bimmer dealer. I drove an automatic and manual 330Ci.

My impressions...

Acceleration - The car is sneaky quick. When I'm WOT in the Acura, I have a better feeling on how fast I'm going. The motor in the 330Ci seems more refined, and quieter, but when I would look down at the speedo. I was consistently surprised with my speed. It didn't FEEL quick, but it always seemed to surprise me. The automatic seems a bit slower than my CL, but the manual seemed a bit more peepy. Enough to where I think it'd be a close race between the two. I really didn't beat on either of them too much, but I jumped on them both enough to get a pretty good idea.

Handling - BMW hands down. My wife nearly shit herself twice when I took the corners at a decent speed in the car. The manual was so much more fun... the car would just whip around the corner. The backend didn't try to slip out at all... No wheel spin. I tried the same cornering in the CL afterwards, and the understear was so noticeable in my car. The 50/50 weighting, combined with the RWD of the bimmer really did outshine the CL. That and the Pilot Sport tires on the 330Ci help too... Any of you that think the CL could hang with the 330Ci or even 325Ci need to go drive one. There is no way possible.

Fit n' Finish - Tough call, but I think I'd have to give it to the BMW. The REAL wood trim is a nice touch. The sport seats kick ass, although the CL seats are just as nice IMHO. Everything was really well placed in the car though...

Interior - Tough call again. The HK sound system in the 330Ci was hands down better than the CL. I was a bit confused on the whole climate control thing. The on-board computer was nice; instant MPG calculations, etc. Both driver's side and passenger's side windows were one touch down and UP. I don't understand why Acura could do something like that. Lots of controls on the steering wheel. Almost too many... Three setting for the heated seats. A big plus for my wife whom I really think is cold blooded.

Exterior - I like the bimmer and CL the same really.

Warranty - BMW. 4yr/50K with all service included. Granted after the warranty is up, it costs a shitpot to fix the car. I'm not sure how much more things, are though. Anyone have an idea???

Conclusion - I liked the 330Ci. Enough to buy one? Yep. Am I going to sell the CL and buy one? Maybe. It's a tough call... I'm going to have to crunch some numbers.

I'll answer the question most of you are probably asking yourselves right now... "Why did you buy the CL in the first place?" Honestly, I really do like the CL. And at the time I bought the CL, I didn't think I could afford much more than that. Turns out we could, if we WANT to. Also, this whole transmission thing is really pissing me off. I can tell my tranny shifts harder already. Even though it will be fixed under warranty, it's still something that I really don't want to deal with. The car is going to be sold after the warranty is up anyway... I'm not going to plunk down 4K for a transmission that SHOULD not break.

I welcome questions, comments, concerns. Seriously... If you think I'm crazy, tell me.

Oh yeah.... Ernie (Eclipse23) -- I saw an Imola Red ///M3 convertible at the dealer. VERY nice color choice!

Speaking of 330ci...i just got back home from purchasing one....i bought a 2003 black metallic with navi, sports pkg, xenon, leather, and i think thats all....hopefully, the car will be here november....i love the bmw....i also own a 2003 cls...which is quite comprable except when it comes down to handling, the 330 gots it down!!! As far as acceleration, i feel it more in the cl but both cars seem equal...i think 260 vs 225 is equal bcuz of the RWD and DOHC....nice engine and exhaust sound....great car but im scared when warranty and maintence are up....The only reason i bought the BMW was becuz i know that the cl and the 330 are close competitiors in the market and i wanted to have the best of both worlds...that way, if pple talk shit on my jap car, i can back it it up with the 330, vice versa....

but i agree with eclipse....go drive one...it truly lives up to its name as...."THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!"

the 10k is worth the money guys....dont get me wrong, i love the cl and its totally worht the $$$$ and good value...but BMW is the TRUE SPORTS CAR....good luck
Old 09-15-2002, 12:09 AM
I hate the Mets

Hey azts664
Adopt me!
Old 09-15-2002, 12:19 AM
A-CL Fanatic

When I get the money together, in many many years, after my CL wears out I am gonna get a Bimmer, Though my dream is a M5, but I'm not sure if I would sell my CL now for the Bimmer, I couldn't justify the expense, but if you can do it, then go for it.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:46 AM
Under the radar

2 cents

I used to own a 328is with the sports package. I must say I do miss the handling of that car. This is why for the first time I am saving up for sways and springs for the Acura. I never thought I would lower a car. Maintenance on the BMW is a pain in the ass. The car I REALLY want is the new Audi RS6 -drool.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
screw that, my cl-s is faster than any beemer (in relative price range) I've ever driven, and it sounds a hundred times better. My girl has a 2000 323i and my friend has the 330ci automatic. A bit too tight if you ask me, seating position and comfort a too high. Alot smaller and more problematic. the windows try to shut more once they've been shut all the way and sound like they're going to shatter. check engine light is on every two months. the 3 series in competition with the cl-s is way slower and just over priced. Yeah it handles better but damn, You got to get on it to move. When i hit press the gas on the CL-s, it moves at low rpms with barely any effort. And if I hadn't lowered it with the 18" rims, the ride and rattles would be more comfortable.

stock for stock, I would take the CL-s anyday over that pricey car with a pricey reputation. then again, I like to get what I payed for and get a bargain while I'm at it. CL-S for life. I'll remember this car when I'm 50 yrs old and say, damn she was worth every penny and brought a smile to my face when I dusted the beemer in the lane next to me.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Also if you think the CLS has nice low end.. the 330ci manual is much better at low end, thats why I love driving it around town.

I know one thing for sure.. I will never buy a car that is made in america ever again if i dont have to.

I love you acura guys... I REALLY DO.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:38 AM
Blown LS6!!

Luxo is most often associated with a soft, comfortable ride (I'm talking stock, of couse)...

Lexus=I'm as smooth as a babies bottom.
BMW=I'm gonna grip the road and I don't care if your ass hurts.
Acura=well, a bit of both right?
Old 09-15-2002, 02:40 AM
Blown LS6!!

Originally posted by paper1122
When I get the money together, in many many years, after my CL wears out I am gonna get a Bimmer, Though my dream is a M5, but I'm not sure if I would sell my CL now for the Bimmer, I couldn't justify the expense, but if you can do it, then go for it.
I agree with you. However, I won't "settle" for the standard 3-series. M3 or I'm just gonna keep saving. The CL will just have to last me.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,068 Likes on 3,589 Posts
We've gotta 01 cl-s and a 02 330xi. I'll take the xi hands down with one exception, I like my seats better. My wife didn't opt for the sport pkg (her car) which wld have given her the nicer seats. She liked the wheels on the luxury pkg better combined w/ the glass moonroof. The paint is better, I love the way it rides and after a long trip, I don't feel it as much as I do in my cl. My next car likely will be a M3 SMG or 6 speed, haven't made up my mind. One thing's for sure, I won't be buying it from anyone in Bflo, particularly Towne BMW. I found a broker on the net that will save me lots o $$$ if I travel to pick it up (Germany or Denver, think I'll pick Germany and catch the GP).
Old 09-15-2002, 08:30 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Seattle Cl-S
I agree with you. However, I won't "settle" for the standard 3-series. M3 or I'm just gonna keep saving. The CL will just have to last me.

I feel the same way!
Old 09-15-2002, 08:57 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Anyone have any concrete examples on how the maintenance is on a bimmer? Comparing it to the CL, for example???
Old 09-15-2002, 10:51 AM
whoXwanXsum

how much is a 100k warranty on the bmw? i am getting rid of my cls i assume in december. i still dont know what to buy. i like...
bmw 530
jag s type 4.0
lexus gs 430
it will be a slightly used one of those!
Old 09-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dbox
how much is a 100k warranty on the bmw? i am getting rid of my cls i assume in december. i still dont know what to buy. i like...
bmw 530
jag s type 4.0
lexus gs 430
it will be a slightly used one of those!
i wouldn't get a 530 IMO, the engine is to small for that car. It will be a pooch. i think you would probably be disappointed. Now a 540 on the other hand.....

That S-type 4.0 is a wicked sweet ride...and its gorgeous
Old 09-15-2002, 05:30 PM
8th Gear

Having shopped both recently, I just couldn't justify $10K premium for the 330 and will buy a cls in the next couple of months. Don't know if it was mentioned in previous posts, but didn't Car & Driver write up something on speedo error in BMWs?

Love the BMW's, had a 5 series about 10yrs ago but always paid a premium for parts and labor. Had a mustang 5.0 a few years ago - cheap car to mod up and have some fun with other 5.0 guys.

IMO, cls is honda solid, plenty of mods available at a reasonable prices, and not everyone has one. Want the black with tan interior and 6sp.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... and about $10k more ;-)
Old 09-15-2002, 09:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Zapata
But it's ok to flame the BMW any other day or make claims that we whip them left and right (not specifically you zapata, just using it as an example)
Old 09-15-2002, 10:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by agorena
Having shopped both recently, I just couldn't justify $10K premium for the 330 and will buy a cls in the next couple of months. Don't know if it was mentioned in previous posts, but didn't Car & Driver write up something on speedo error in BMWs?

Love the BMW's, had a 5 series about 10yrs ago but always paid a premium for parts and labor. Had a mustang 5.0 a few years ago - cheap car to mod up and have some fun with other 5.0 guys.

IMO, cls is honda solid, plenty of mods available at a reasonable prices, and not everyone has one. Want the black with tan interior and 6sp.
bravo, just make sure you get all the service buletins beforer you purchase and let them take care of the problems. I really don't think its fair to compare the manual 330 to an automatic CL-S and say its faster or whatever. Its more money and a manual, just compare it to the 6speed since they're in the same boat.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by rondog
screw that, my cl-s is faster than any beemer (in relative price range) I've ever driven, and it sounds a hundred times better. My girl has a 2000 323i and my friend has the 330ci automatic. A bit too tight if you ask me, seating position and comfort a too high. Alot smaller and more problematic. the windows try to shut more once they've been shut all the way and sound like they're going to shatter. check engine light is on every two months. the 3 series in competition with the cl-s is way slower and just over priced. Yeah it handles better but damn, You got to get on it to move. When i hit press the gas on the CL-s, it moves at low rpms with barely any effort. And if I hadn't lowered it with the 18" rims, the ride and rattles would be more comfortable.

stock for stock, I would take the CL-s anyday over that pricey car with a pricey reputation. then again, I like to get what I payed for and get a bargain while I'm at it. CL-S for life. I'll remember this car when I'm 50 yrs old and say, damn she was worth every penny and brought a smile to my face when I dusted the beemer in the lane next to me.
youre right! the cls is worth every penny but as far as accel stock for stock, i think the two are pretty close...the bmw, u gotta hit the button at the bottom of the pedal but i dont think the cls can smoke the car...maybe beat it by half a car....but like i said, for pple who ntalk shit on german cars, i too have a cls...so either way, i cant lose....lol
Old 09-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by eclipse23
But it's ok to flame the BMW any other day or make claims that we whip them left and right (not specifically you zapata, just using it as an example)
Don't understand what you are trying to say.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:57 AM
What, me worry?

Location: Carrollton, tx. land of heaving pavement & revenue generating pigs.
I think our cars should be compared to the 5 series more than the 3 series. Yes, price wise we're closer to the 3. But I feel most of us got our cars because of the size and room it has. If I wanted something smaller and more nimble I wouldn't be looking at a CL. I previously had a 5 and I think they're fairly comparable except for that last 10% in handling. It's like one guy said, do you buy the car that fits 90% of your driving needs or get one for that other 10% plus $10k more?
Old 09-16-2002, 08:14 AM
Drifting

Good review and nothing is surprising.

A couple of points, however.

1. The BMW will suck in the snow and isn't that great in the rain either.

2. Apples to apples at the same price point, the BMW leaves much to be desired.

3. By the time you get into a fully loaded 330 you're talking almost the price of an S4 which wins over the Bimmer hands down IMO.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:31 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by rondog
bravo, just make sure you get all the service buletins beforer you purchase and let them take care of the problems. I really don't think its fair to compare the manual 330 to an automatic CL-S and say its faster or whatever. Its more money and a manual, just compare it to the 6speed since they're in the same boat.
K... I'll compare it to a 6spd, which I've driven also. Handling goes to the Bimmer. Acceleration is close, much closer than that of the auto CL-S.

Everything else I described in the review has nothing to do with the type of transmission...

The 330Ci, I'd LIKE to get is just a hair over 41K. So that's about 9K over the CL-S (non-navi). I'm trying to figure if it's worth it.

As for the comments of the BMW sucking in rain and snow, I really find that hard to believe. Ok, yes it's a RWD car, but the tires that are put on are MUCH better than the stock that we have on our cars. Does RWD make that much of a difference in the rain? As for the snow... Well, a good set of winter tires will cure part of that. I'd like to consider myself a pretty catious driver in the snow. I've driven RWD and FWD drive cars in the snow, and it comes down to being sensible.

And the comment about the S4. It's not being made anymore. 2004 it's going to re-appear, redesigned as a sedan and a coupe.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Test drove a 330Ci this afternoon

Originally posted by azts664
The only reason i bought the BMW was becuz i know that the cl and the 330 are close competitiors in the market and i wanted to have the best of both worlds...that way, if pple talk shit on my jap car, i can back it it up with the 330, vice versa....
I definitely agree, it is nice to have both!!

However, that Gold CL is gone and replaced with an Aegean Blue 6-Speed. The Bimmer is also a manual:

Old 09-16-2002, 09:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Scrib
K... I'll compare it to a 6spd, which I've driven also. Handling goes to the Bimmer. Acceleration is close, much closer than that of the auto CL-S.

Everything else I described in the review has nothing to do with the type of transmission...

The 330Ci, I'd LIKE to get is just a hair over 41K. So that's about 9K over the CL-S (non-navi). I'm trying to figure if it's worth it.

As for the comments of the BMW sucking in rain and snow, I really find that hard to believe. Ok, yes it's a RWD car, but the tires that are put on are MUCH better than the stock that we have on our cars. Does RWD make that much of a difference in the rain? As for the snow... Well, a good set of winter tires will cure part of that. I'd like to consider myself a pretty catious driver in the snow. I've driven RWD and FWD drive cars in the snow, and it comes down to being sensible.

And the comment about the S4. It's not being made anymore. 2004 it's going to re-appear, redesigned as a sedan and a coupe.
I would say 70% of the people on this board who say that BMW's suck in rain, snow etc all know that from hearsay and it's one feather in the cap of the CLS so it has to be mentioned. I only drove a 328ci in the rain for close to 8 hours coming up from North Carolina and it was fine in heavy heavy downpours so I'm not much of a judge myself.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 330Ci this afternoon