Television: Top Gear (UK) News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015 | 04:43 AM
E92

people need to have thicker skin
Old 03-12-2015 | 07:30 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

I get suspending but not airing already made shows????

Stupid.
Old 03-12-2015 | 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Noooooooooooooooooooo

http://jalopnik.com/bbc-cancels-last...=1426184139040
Old 03-12-2015 | 01:40 PM
Q('.')=O

Fuck that. I want to see the La Ferrari vs P1 vs 918 race. I'm sure they will sort something out to air those episodes. It may just come long after they are supposed to air.
Old 03-12-2015 | 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

sigh.
Old 03-12-2015 | 04:10 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

It's just a ruse to garner more views and even if he did punch a producer, he'll be back. If not on BBC.. somewhere more worthy.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (03-13-2015)
Old 03-12-2015 | 04:23 PM
_

Originally Posted by asianspec
If Clarkson is really sacked from the BBC, im sure he will have demands for him to host another show on another network with his demands met.
A new show with just Clarkson? I don't think it would be as successful. Top Gear is more than just Clarkson. What makes the show work and entertaining is the chemistry between Clarkson, May, and Hammond. Oh, and the Stig.
Old 03-12-2015 | 04:29 PM

That and whoever does the color grading for their segments.
Old 03-12-2015 | 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AZuser
A new show with just Clarkson? I don't think it would be as successful. Top Gear is more than just Clarkson. What makes the show work and entertaining is the chemistry between Clarkson, May, and Hammond. Oh, and the Stig.
of course, but who knows they might offer all 3.

well apparently BBC owes compensation now.

Jeremy Clarkson suspension leaves BBC facing multimillion-pound bill | Media | The Guardian
Old 03-12-2015 | 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by AZuser
More successful than hammond and captain slow taking up the slack. JC is the Simon Cowell of the show. He can go anywhere and be successful.
Old 03-12-2015 | 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, I guess Top Gear may be done.

I don't condone what happened. If I, as a President of Medical Staff at a hospital (which I am in my offline life), punched one of my colleagues, I would be reprimanded and summarily suspended from the medical staff for some amount of time, not to mention facing the potential for criminal charges from the person I struck, or even a lawsuit. Further, there would be an investigation while this suspension was occurring and this would determine whether I would be allowed to come back. I happen to be quite popular at the hospital, as well. Should that popularity have anything to do with my punishment? There is a due process that should be followed in any situation of this type to avoid legal ramifications.

It appears that process is proceeding at the BBC, as it should. Immediate suspension, investigation, then decision. If it's anything like what happens at my hospital, it'll happen quickly and we should hear something in the next few days about the length of suspension. Best case is he is suspended for a few shows and is back next season. Worst case, he is fired and Top Gear is effectively dead. Unforseen twist is that Clarkson says "f**k you" and moves to Sky or Channel 5.

So while we, the fans, ultimately are inconvenienced, the rights of the person who was struck must be respected.

Of course, we don't know what really happened other than that no charges were filed, so the person who was struck did not feel the incident was a crime.....or is letting the BBC process proceed.

At the end of the day, the BBC would be dumb to allow this distraction to derail the show, especially right at the end of the season. Were I running things, the shows would proceed with Jeremy not allowed on site to film. His pre-filmed segments would still be shown. The entire Top Gear team should not be punished for the act of one person. JMHO.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
gatrhumpy (03-19-2015), litesout (03-20-2015)
Old 03-12-2015 | 09:22 PM
E92

Man, I just want to see the Ferrari/Porsche/McLaren race
Old 03-12-2015 | 10:05 PM
_

Did Clarkson and the others ever renew their contracts? Never saw confirmation. Their contracts would expire in April if not. If they were renewed, I wonder what the terms of Clarkson's contract are. Would Clarkson be able to tell the BBC to "F off" and leave? If the contracts weren't renewed, could this be an attempt by him to get more favorable contract terms and maybe even more $$$?

Coincidence on timing?

Top Gear presenters 'to sign new three-year contract' - Telegraph

Top Gear presenters 'to sign new three-year contract'

Top Gear producer Andy Wilman admitted earlier this month that 2014 was “a horrible year” for the popular motoring series but, despite the show being beset with controversy, its presenters Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond are reportedly on the verge of signing a new three-year contract.

Last year saw Top Gear and Clarkson face heavy criticism following a series of gaffes. They sparked a riot when filming in Argentina as locals believed the number plate H982 FKL, which was on Clarkson’s Porsche, was a jibe against the Falklands War.

Clarkson also found himself in trouble for using two racial slurs over the course of the series.

But, despite these events, BBC director-general Tony Hall has stated that he’s unwilling to cancel the series.

“It’s a programme loads of people love and it’s important the BBC doesn’t have just one voice,” he said in an interview with the Radio Times.

The presenters’ lucrative contracts are due to expire in April. Clarkson himself receives £1 million as well an additional seven-figure fee from BBC Worldwide.

According to a report by the Daily Mirror, the programme and its presenters are on the verge of renewing their contract which will run for three years for an as-yet undisclosed sum.

The show’s 22nd series began on Sunday and was aired simultaneously across 50 countries.
Old 03-12-2015 | 10:19 PM
_

Originally Posted by neuronbob
At the end of the day, the BBC would be dumb to allow this distraction to derail the show, especially right at the end of the season. Were I running things, the shows would proceed with Jeremy not allowed on site to film. His pre-filmed segments would still be shown. The entire Top Gear team should not be punished for the act of one person. JMHO.

The BBC should just continue with the show as scheduled, minus Clarkson. They've done the show with just Clarkson and May before (after Hammond was injured in that rocket car crash), and I think they've done the show with just Clarkson and Hammond before too. This would be a first without Clarkson, but it's worth a shot to see how it goes vs cancelling the rest of the season altogether.
Old 03-13-2015 | 11:06 AM
The Dumb One

they could try.. but I personally could lose either, or both of the others and still watch just Clarkson. his knowledge, input and humor about cars are 3/4 of my reason for watching the show.

the car segments, stig, and may/Hammond make up the other 1/4.
if he leaves top gear for another program, I will follow him.

I would compare the absence of Steve Carrel from (The Office)
sure, they gave it a hell of a run, but he made the show...

Clarkson IS Top Gear..

Last edited by Rockstar21; 03-13-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-15-2015 | 10:48 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Jeremy Clarkson Quits Top Gear, Show Cancelled for Good

UPDATE: Jeremy Clarkson Quits Top Gear, Show Cancelled for Good - autoevolution for Mobile
Petrolheads all over, ladies and gents that enjoyed Top Gear's "ambitious but rubbish" take on all things automotive, it pains us to announce that Jeremy Clarkson calls it quits in his column in The Sun.

In a piece titled "So we lose the tiger... but gain acid-spit snail," Jeremy Clarkson talks about nature's battle against extinction and the future of the Top Gear trio. Without further ado, this is how Jezza broke the silence in his most recent column for the tabloid:

"I THINK it’s fair to say that nature made a mistake when it invented the dinosaur. It was too big, too violent and with such small and puny arms it was never going to be able to operate heavy machinery or even enjoy a bit of special “me” time." Pretty easy to understand, but we haven't even got to the most tear-jearking part yet.

“All the dinosaurs died and now, years later, no-one mourns their passing. These big, imposing creatures have no place in a world which has moved on.” What these two lines point at is the dying of Top Gear as a show and how the presenter will have to move on.

Despite 880,000-plus signatures for the #BringBackClarkson petition, Jezza suggests that all our efforts were in vain: “You can start as many campaigns as you like and call on the support of politicians from all sides, but the day must come when you have to wave goodbye to the big monsters, and move on.”

This is the end and we can't do anything about it...

Fingers crossed other British broadcasting companies will bite his arm off and Clarkson will convice May and Hammond to start a new motoring show from square one. It will be hard to convince those two to jump on the bandwagon, but it won't be impossible.

Even if not for May and Hammond, if Jeremy will make a pay-per-view YouTube channel and continue filming car reviews, it'll still be enough to soothe our fevered petrolhead brows. Best of luck, Jezza!
UPDATE: Captain Slow confirmed that Top Gear is kaput in a not-so-cryptic manner.

UPDATE 2: The Mirror reports that "Jeremy Clarkson called Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon 'a lazy Irish ****," and that "Clarkson ranted for half an hour then punched him in the mouth - he was bleeding and dizzy so he had to go to hospital." In related Jeremy Clarkson news, bbc.co.uk was offline this afternoon, possibly because digital protest group Anonymous threatened an attack on the site a few days ago.

UPDATE3: Clarkson was reportedly involved in filming for BBC rival Channel 4, with a new "Full Throttle" show on its way. So; it's been a week, and still no answer. How exactly do you pronounce 'fracas'? — James May (@MrJamesMay) March 14, 2015
Clever letter on the #jeremyclarkson controversy in today's @FT #justasking pic.twitter.com/tiftHXS4wW — Dearbhail McDonald (@DearbhailDibs) March 14, 2015
Old 03-15-2015 | 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Old 03-15-2015 | 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Well. It was good while it lasted. Top Gear America, it is! Unless that's gone, too.
Old 03-15-2015 | 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Well damn this sucks. And Top Gear US isn't anywhere as good either.

Although, just rambling, the show has gone for a long time and maybe the 3 are starting lose to steam or whatever. Clarkson socking a producer then quitting the show then having it get canceld could just be a way for them to finally get out from it.
Old 03-15-2015 | 11:34 AM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

No, Jeremy Clarkson hasn't quit Top Gear yet
Old 03-15-2015 | 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow, comparing Clarkson to Jimmy Savile? Really?

Astonishing remarks on Top Gear affair as senior BBC boss claims 'Clarkson is like Savile' and that 'Jeremy has personal issues. He is self destructing... he should go into rehab' | Daily Mail Online

OK, guy punches his workmate. Deserves to be punished, yes. But comparing him to a multiple-repeat PEDOPHILE? I don't condone what happened but that comment is pretty outrageous.

Yes. Yes, Clarkson has already won and it doesn't matter.

Last edited by neuronbob; 03-15-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-15-2015 | 01:57 PM
_

Originally Posted by rossv1
Well damn this sucks. And Top Gear US isn't anywhere as good either.

Although, just rambling, the show has gone for a long time and maybe the 3 are starting lose to steam or whatever. Clarkson socking a producer then quitting the show then having it get canceld could just be a way for them to finally get out from it.
You must've read this article. The author had the same idea.

If it's truly over, it was a good 15 year run.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/top-gea...015151819.html

Top Gear And Jeremy Clarkson: Here's What I Saw When I Worked On The Show

Context: Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended from Top Gear, the BBC’s motoring show, and one of its biggest exports. The reason? It is claimed he had a “fracas” with a producer which some British papers are claiming was physical. As a result of his suspension, Top Gear’s current run has been halted, and the show may lose its main host.

Before I became a technology journalist I worked at the BBC for many years. During that time I was lucky enough to work on Top Gear. My job was to maintain the BBC’s official website. In the past I haven’t written much about my time there, but now seems like as good a time as any to talk about what it is like to work on Top Gear.

To do my job I used to go to the Top Gear studio near Guildford. Recording tended to start around 2pm and would usually run for a few hours. During this time everyone is kept in a large aircraft hangar at Dunsfold Park. It’s too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter, which is why you see people either dressed in thick coats, or sweating in virtually nothing. The shooting is bearable for the public because there are nice cars, and the hosts chat with them. This is a total rarity in TV, but if you go to a Top Gear recording, you will be able to talk to the presenters.

So, what of those guys Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond? Well, I can only speak about my experience, but all of them were terrific to me. James May once looked like he’d shoot me when I laughed at something he said about his cat. I thought he was joking, he wasn’t.

Of course there were stories of some horror from other members of the production team. I remember one of the early US shoots being a particular nightmare, with some crew members complaining that Jeremy was insisting on things being done his way, and that led to the crew being exhausted and not stopping for food when they needed it. Jeremy also wanted to put a dead cow on the roof of the car, and the results of that were pretty grim.

Even so, most people were not overly critical of Clarkson, even though he was sometimes belligerent and hard to manage – most talent can be, especially at his level. And it is worth mentioning that Top Gear in its current form was Clarkson’s show, his format an idea that he worked on with Andy Wilman to revitalise one of the BBC’s well-known but very tired brands.

Here’s what’s most striking about the Top Gear team though: it’s a family. I’ve worked on lots of TV productions over the years. Mostly, I’ve done this as web support, so I’ve had a slightly different take to those actually producing the shows. Top Gear was one of the most amazingly welcoming and friendly teams I’ve ever encountered.

Chief among the people who was welcoming is the producer that it is alleged Clarkson had an argument with. Back then Oisin Tymon was more junior, but just utterly lovely to me, and everyone else. The fact that he’s been involved for so long makes this bust up seem even more odd. I started on Top Gear when the show was in its third season in 2003, Oisin either started around then, or very slightly after. He’s being working with Clarkson now for more than 10 years.

It’s the team aspect of this that makes the story of Jeremy arguing with, and then if British press reports are to be believed, hitting Tymon. Jeremy was always very protective of the team, and you can see this in the interviews he gave following the crew’s swift exit from Argentina recently where he was genuinely concerned for the people hurt.

While I wouldn’t seek to suggest there’s ever an excuse for hitting someone, I also know from experience that, if you do, an apology can often sort the problem out. I don’t know about how close Clarkson and Tymon are. My experience with the producers was that they were pretty involved with the on-screen talent. It may be that there was a fight, it was resolved between the two of them but someone else reported it.

What was the worst thing that I ever saw Jeremy Clarkson do in the time I worked there? Not much, he hated the CD I left in the rental car I lent him to drive to the test track, and when I jokingly asked him what he thought, he declared with an expletive that he wasn’t a fan. I didn’t expect anything else really.

One thing’s for sure, whatever did or did not happen, Clarkson will have received phone calls from May, Hammond and the show’s executive producer Andy Wilman, calling him every name under the sun. Don’t forget, for all the surface calm that Clarkson is putting out on Twitter at the moment, a whole industry exists around Top Gear. It’s worth £50million to the BBC in foreign revenue and spin-offs. It’s the world’s largest factual TV show, and it’s shown all over the world and is frequently one of the most-downloaded TV shows online.

The team, with whom Clarkson is close, also stand to lose their jobs and the BBC one of its highest rated TV shows. That said, if someone was punched it puts the BBC in a near-impossible situation. It can’t very well keep him, while telling other staff that if they are involved in a physical altercation they will be immediately dismissed.

My time at Top Gear is among my happiest memories, even including the time that I had an hour-long phone call from Andy Wilman that got fairly heated over an broken online vote. That’s a story for another day though. Top Gear production team members are, and always have been, at the top of their professional game and friendly with it.

And that leads me to an odd conclusion. Namely, that perhaps those involved – like Clarkson – are bored. The show has run for longer than anyone, including them, expected. Bored people can, sometimes, look for ways to put an end to things, and if Jeremy wants to go and work for Sky making a different show, then belligerently arguing with the BBC and his producers is one way to get out. It’s also important to note that all three presenters were weeks off signing new contracts that would lock them into the show for three more years.
Old 03-15-2015 | 02:24 PM
_

When did the fight happen? Was it before or after Feb 25?

Clarkson tweeted on Feb 25:

Jeremy Clarkson @JeremyClarkson · Feb 25

Wanted: new presenter for Top Gear. Applicant should be old, badly dressed and pedantic but capable of getting to work on time.
If the fight happened after Feb 25, then this could be just a way for him to get out. Another scripted event like the many on Top Gear?

Last edited by AZuser; 03-15-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2015 | 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
He's referring to May, not himself.
AZuser (03-15-2015)
Old 03-16-2015 | 10:56 AM

Television: Top Gear (UK) News and Discussion Thread-wx4f8lq.gif
The following 6 users liked this post by Majofo:
asianspec (03-18-2015), crazyasiantl (03-16-2015), Joneill44 (03-16-2015), neuronbob (03-16-2015), ttribe (03-16-2015), VR1 (03-18-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-16-2015 | 04:09 PM
Q('.')=O

Transmission ? BBC Top Gear Further news about this Sunday?s Top Gear « - BBC Top Gear

Last week, the BBC released a statement about the current series of Top Gear, confirming that last night’s show (15th March) was to be postponed following an incident during production.

The incident in question is currently being investigated and Ken MacQuarrie, the director of BBC Scotland, has been appointed to lead this process.

We can now confirm that Top Gear will not be back in the studio this week and, as such, the episode due for broadcast this Sunday night (22nd March) will also be postponed pending the outcome of the investigation.

We will bring you more news as soon as we have it.

So... the last few shows could still air..
Old 03-16-2015 | 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

So confused
Old 03-17-2015 | 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

There is NO reason the show cant continue the last few episodes while they sort this out. This world needs thicker skin and i really wish people/companies would start to grow some.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
crazyasiantl (03-17-2015), VR1 (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015 | 10:42 AM
Q('.')=O

Last night they aired the perfect road trip 2 special instead. Meh
Old 03-17-2015 | 08:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by imj0257
Last night they aired the perfect road trip 2 special instead. Meh
Was this one new? I had never seen it before so I was sorta surprised...
Old 03-17-2015 | 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Was this one new? I had never seen it before so I was sorta surprised...
Nope. Previous series.
Old 03-17-2015 | 08:57 PM
Q('.')=O

I think it was a special, not part of the regular series.
Old 03-18-2015 | 12:25 AM
_

Haven't seen The Perfect Road Trip 2 yet. It was a release to DVD special from Nov 2014. Never came out on regular t.v. until now.
Old 03-19-2015 | 10:29 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy Clarkson could make his Top Gear comeback next week - in Norway - Telegraph

By Gordon Rayner, and Hannah Furness

1:05PM GMT 19 Mar 2015

The BBC has said a Top Gear Live event in Norway next week is "still scheduled to go ahead" with Jeremy Clarkson as its star.

Despite postponing the three remaining episodes of this series of Top Gear, BBC Worldwide, the corporation's commercial arm, is still selling tickets for four live shows in Stavanger on Friday, March 27 and Saturday, March 28.

Insiders have said they are confident Clarkson's fate will have been decided before then, and with 20,000 tickets already sold for the Norwegian shows, BBC Worldwide does not want to have to cancel unless it has no choice.

It means that if Clarkson is cleared of wrongdoing over his "fracas" with a producer, he will make his comeback alongside James May and Richard Hammond at the Sømarka Arena in Stavanger on the afternoon of March 27.

BBC sources insisted the decision not to cancel the live shows should not be interpreted as a sign that they expect the BBC inquiry, led by Ken MacQuarrie, the head of BBC Scotland, to find in Clarkson's favour.

A BBC Worldwide source said: "At the moment we are taking things on a day by day basis and as things stand the shows are scheduled to run as billed. It is not happening tomorrow, it is happening in eight days' time, so we are waiting to see what the investigation delivers.

"No-one is really sure about the timing of the investigation's decision, so before we disappoint 20,000 fans in Norway, at the moment we are going ahead with the show."

If Clarkson is sacked by the BBC, his contract with BBC Worldwide would also be terminated.

• James May and Richard Hammond refuse to film Top Gear without Clarkson

Clarkson was suspended by the BBC on March 10 after reporting himself over an incident involving producer Oisin Tymon. Clarkson is alleged to have punched his collegue after being told he could not have steak and chips for dinner because the hotel where they were staying had stopped serving hot food.

The ticketmaster website is still advertising tickets for the Norway shows for sale at between £42 and £99.

Clarkson, who is paid a seven-figure salary to present Top Gear, has a separate seven-figure contract with BBC Worldwide to host the Top Gear Live events around the world.

• Jeremy Clarkson 'instructs lawyers' over Jimmy Savile smear

And while his contract with the BBC is due to expire at the end of this month, his BBC Worldwide contract runs until September, with live shows booked for Australia and South Africa as well as the UK.

It means that if Clarkson is sacked BBC Worldwide would potentially face a much bigger compensation bill for the cancellation of the live shows than it would for the cancellation of the remaining three episodes of the current series of Top Gear.

The Top Gear live shows employ dozens of people, including stunt drivers, motorcyclists and roadies, and involve complex stunts with flame-throwers, ramps, chariots and acrobats. Most of the equipment and vehicles have to be shipped from the UK for each show, making them hugely expensive to stage.

The Top Gear team is contracted to host live shows in Sydney in April, Belfast in May, South Africa in June and the O2 Arena in London in November.

Meanwhile, the BBC reported that the Radio 2 DJ Chris Evans had said a friend had texted his show after eight days of silence. "It's like a weight's lifted off his shoulders," the DJ said, without elaborating.

James May spent the day visiting his talent agency, which joked that it was looking for work for its new office boy.
Old 03-19-2015 | 10:59 AM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Clarkson is alleged to have punched his collegue after being told he could not have steak and chips for dinner because the hotel where they were staying had stopped serving hot food.
Old 03-19-2015 | 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

PortlandRL (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015 | 12:57 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Just watched the M3 vs i8 Top Gear & Jeremy chose the i8, then changed his mind.

lol
Old 03-19-2015 | 07:11 PM
brahs be jelly

F**king fatass Clarkson.. you can't punch people in the face because your stomach is empty. Take it up with their supervisor, or pack your own lunch.
Old 03-19-2015 | 10:42 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

I would love to see Clarkson, May and Hammond on Netflix or HBO where they can say and do pretty much whatever the hell they want.
The following 4 users liked this post by PortlandRL:
charliemike (03-19-2015), crazyasiantl (03-20-2015), ttribe (03-20-2015), VR1 (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015 | 11:40 AM
_

neuronbob (03-20-2015)

Quick Reply: Television: Top Gear (UK) News and Discussion Thread