SuperTrooper169's 2009 Dodge Charger R/T R&T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:37 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,088 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
3 hours ain't bad, glad no cross threading or stripping!
Yeah no kidding. I took my time with them to make sure that didn't happen. Aluminum heads do not light over torquing.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts
<p>hell no they don't! &nbsp;</p>
Old 10-14-2015, 11:29 AM
In the Mid-South meow

My wife just informed me the title showed up in the mail yesterday. Sapphire is officially 100% mine. No more car payment. First time in over 10 years I haven't had one.

I've decided I'm not going to save for a supercharger and will instead just keep it N/A. I've heard too many stories about a S/C leading to this and that down the road (and know personally from my EP3 Jackson Racing SC disaster) so I'd rather keep it reliable and not have it become a total money pit, especially since she's paid off now. So future mods will be limited to long tube header w/hi-flow catted mids, electronic cutouts, a Getreg 3.06 rear end and a custom tune, then I'll be completely done modding.
The following users liked this post:
CLtotheTL32 (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 11:31 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,576 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
My wife just informed me the title showed up in the mail yesterday. Sapphire is officially 100% mine. No more car payment. First time in over 10 years I haven't had one.

I've decided I'm not going to save for a supercharger and will instead just keep it N/A. I've heard too many stories about a S/C leading to this and that down the road (and know personally from my EP3 Jackson Racing SC disaster) so I'd rather keep it reliable and not have it become a total money pit, especially since she's paid off now. So future mods will be limited to long tube header w/hi-flow catted mids, electronic cutouts, a Getreg 3.06 rear end and a custom tune, then I'll be completely done modding.
Since you dont have the stringent smog rules we have in CA there is so much you can do with your car.

Long tube headers...6.1 intake manifold ported and polished...More aggressive cam shaft.

That with a custom tune is good for some juice.
SuperTrooper169 (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Congrats! That's a great feeling!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:51 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Congrats on paying it off! I kno dat feel bro.

Time to get a supercharger whine soundtrack and play it through your speakers to appease your decision of not adding boost
Old 10-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

I suggest continue to put that money away every month.. save it, slush it.. just know you have it if you need / want to use it.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:15 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Since you dont have the stringent smog rules we have in CA there is so much you can do with your car.

Long tube headers...6.1 intake manifold ported and polished...More aggressive cam shaft.

That with a custom tune is good for some juice.
All good ideas although I'll probably keep away from anything internal like a cam, as tempting as it is.
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Congrats! That's a great feeling!
Thank you sir!
Originally Posted by v6cord2k5
Congrats on paying it off! I kno dat feel bro.

Time to get a supercharger whine soundtrack and play it through your speakers to appease your decision of not adding boost
Heck there's fake engine sounds put through speakers from the factory now-a-days, why not go aftermarket like you suggest!
Originally Posted by Majofo

I suggest continue to put that money away every month.. save it, slush it.. just know you have it if you need / want to use it.
Oh definitely. My wife is big time into the Dave Ramsey cult, err, investment pod casts, so we're doing just that.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:34 PM

I had an EP3 too!
I also had a buddy on ephatch.com that was local to me that had a turbonetics stage 1 turbo on his and it was friggin FAST.

Congrats on being paid off, man...been a few years since I've had a payment and I'm really enjoying that. I feel like FI is nice, but costs so fucking much and then you have to babysit it and then everyone seems like it's never enough...high boost pulleys, $700 tunes, more more more more more
Old 10-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
HellCat time?
Old 10-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Congrats!! There's nothing like no car payment.

All good ideas although I'll probably keep away from anything internal like a cam, as tempting as it is.
No stroker kit
Old 10-18-2015, 03:19 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Congrats!! There's nothing like no car payment.

No stroker kit
Instead I will live vicariously through you. When are you stroking yours? Hmm, does that sound weird?
Old 10-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Oh definitely. My wife is big time into the Dave Ramsey cult, err, investment pod casts, so we're doing just that.
Heh, Ramsey is great for getting out of debt. Some of his investment advice is pretty suspect. I love David Swensons UnConventional Success book. Also look into Boglheads as well, I'm a believer in the Boglehead philosophy.

Any event, stumbled upon this thread and I was quite amazed and delighted at the power of a Charger R/T . I never liked the 1st gen styling (especially the blocky back end) but I've really taken a liking to the 2nd gen styling. And R/T seems like a great way to get massive HP (I assume HP can be gained a good amount with fairly cheap/easy mods) and not have to shell out big bucks for a SRT8.

Definitely an affordable version of a high end sports sedan (compared to say a CTS-V, or a AMG or ///M car)

I'll definitely need to keep this in mind when I look at future go fast sedans....also how is the weight? Is it sharp in turns? I do worry about how heavy these sedans are...
Old 10-19-2015, 10:06 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by nist7
Heh, Ramsey is great for getting out of debt. Some of his investment advice is pretty suspect. I love David Swensons UnConventional Success book. Also look into Boglheads as well, I'm a believer in the Boglehead philosophy.

Any event, stumbled upon this thread and I was quite amazed and delighted at the power of a Charger R/T . I never liked the 1st gen styling (especially the blocky back end) but I've really taken a liking to the 2nd gen styling. And R/T seems like a great way to get massive HP (I assume HP can be gained a good amount with fairly cheap/easy mods) and not have to shell out big bucks for a SRT8.

Definitely an affordable version of a high end sports sedan (compared to say a CTS-V, or a AMG or ///M car)

I'll definitely need to keep this in mind when I look at future go fast sedans....also how is the weight? Is it sharp in turns? I do worry about how heavy these sedans are...
Thanks for the other financial guru suggestions. I have to admit that Dave Ramsey has helped get her motivated, which in turn has helped get me motivated, to pay off all our debt and save for our children's future, and heck maybe even try and retire early. I do not agree with some of his advice like not putting money toward your retirement until you are 100% debt free, or living on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches until you are 100% debt free, but otherwise I think his advice makes a lot of sense and has worked for us so far.

If you like the newer body style, then your best bet is either going with an R/T with the Road and Track pack or if you really want to go with the big power the Scat Pack. The biggest reason I chose an R/T over an SRT is the MPG. The MDS (Multi-Displacement System) shuts down half the cylinders when cruising so even with the mods I have and a huge brick of a scoop sitting on the hood making it less aerodynamic I still get around 25 MPG on a straight highway run. The SRTs will never see that kind of MPG. Around town the MPG drop to around 17 MPG which still isn't terrible for a full size V8 with close to 400 HP IMO. Combined overall with the majority of my driving being around town with the occasional highway drives to the in laws I'm averaging 18.5 MPG.

They do respond fairly well to mods but I wouldn't say they're cheap. A good catback is going to run you $1000, long tube headers with hi flow cats $1500+, tuners are around $500, intakes $350, and that's just the parts, not including the installation $. The biggest gains seem to be made via tuners, so once you're at a place you have all your bolt ons done, then having a custom tune (around $500) I hear really brings the car to life. I'm just running what they called a canned tune, so one of the pre-loaded tunes on the handheld tuner, but once I get long tube headers I'll have to get a custom tune to really extract all the ponies from them.

As far as weight goes, well, we'll just say the Charger regulars refer to them as heavy pigs. The one advantage of the 1st gens is they weigh a little less than the 2nd gens. Mine comes in around 4100 lbs while the newer gens are over 4300 lbs. Suspension and tire upgrades do help with corning, but it'll never feel like a mid sized sports sedan no matter how much money you throw at it. The new SRT8s do have variable suspension settings which I hear help more than the traditional suspension mods, but you pay for those features which makes the SRT at a much higher price point. The Scat Pack gives you the SRT engine and brakes without all the electronics and luxury features, so it's the sweat spot for someone wanting the huge power but less fancy gadgets.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the other financial guru suggestions. I have to admit that Dave Ramsey has helped get her motivated, which in turn has helped get me motivated, to pay off all our debt and save for our children's future, and heck maybe even try and retire early. I do not agree with some of his advice like not putting money toward your retirement until you are 100% debt free, or living on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches until you are 100% debt free, but otherwise I think his advice makes a lot of sense and has worked for us so far.

If you like the newer body style, then your best bet is either going with an R/T with the Road and Track pack or if you really want to go with the big power the Scat Pack. The biggest reason I chose an R/T over an SRT is the MPG. The MDS (Multi-Displacement System) shuts down half the cylinders when cruising so even with the mods I have and a huge brick of a scoop sitting on the hood making it less aerodynamic I still get around 25 MPG on a straight highway run. The SRTs will never see that kind of MPG. Around town the MPG drop to around 17 MPG which still isn't terrible for a full size V8 with close to 400 HP IMO. Combined overall with the majority of my driving being around town with the occasional highway drives to the in laws I'm averaging 18.5 MPG.

They do respond fairly well to mods but I wouldn't say they're cheap. A good catback is going to run you $1000, long tube headers with hi flow cats $1500+, tuners are around $500, intakes $350, and that's just the parts, not including the installation $. The biggest gains seem to be made via tuners, so once you're at a place you have all your bolt ons done, then having a custom tune (around $500) I hear really brings the car to life. I'm just running what they called a canned tune, so one of the pre-loaded tunes on the handheld tuner, but once I get long tube headers I'll have to get a custom tune to really extract all the ponies from them.

As far as weight goes, well, we'll just say the Charger regulars refer to them as heavy pigs. The one advantage of the 1st gens is they weigh a little less than the 2nd gens. Mine comes in around 4100 lbs while the newer gens are over 4300 lbs. Suspension and tire upgrades do help with corning, but it'll never feel like a mid sized sports sedan no matter how much money you throw at it. The new SRT8s do have variable suspension settings which I hear help more than the traditional suspension mods, but you pay for those features which makes the SRT at a much higher price point. The Scat Pack gives you the SRT engine and brakes without all the electronics and luxury features, so it's the sweat spot for someone wanting the huge power but less fancy gadgets.
Check this wiki out: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogl...g_start-up_kit

Also some nice podcasts to look for are Paul Merriman and also Jill onMoney and Dough Roller.

I definitely see great value in Ramsey since he is VERY good at really kicking people's ass on their debt, which is great. But once you're out of debt (or out of really bad debt) look for others for good investment advice. I personally like index fund investing pioneered by Jack Bogle and you get a fair share of the market.

Thanks for the extra info on the Chargers. This definitely makes into my future list of possible sport sedans to buy. Looks like more of a straightline beast than a nimble cornering machine.

Relatively, it still seems quite a bit more affordable than say comparable go-fast sedans than AMG/M/S/CTS-V/etc.

Yeah seems like the bolt ons you mentioned about similar to price to a TL mod. And I'll need to look into the MPGs as well.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:05 AM
In the Mid-South meow

^ I'll look into those. I'm sure my wife will be pumped to know there's more Podcasts to check out.

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking about selling my T/A hood. It's my usual issue of spending a lot of money on a mod I think I'm so sure about and then a few months later changing my mind about it and just wanting to move on from it. Ugh.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

^ I'll look into those. I'm sure my wife will be pumped to know there's more Podcasts to check out.

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking about selling my T/A hood. It's my usual issue of spending a lot of money on a mod I think I'm so sure about and then a few months later changing my mind about it and just wanting to move on from it. Ugh.
Pardon my ignorance but is that hood/scoop one piece? It looks pretty bad ass. Is it functional? Otherwise I like it but to each his own though.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:33 PM
In the Mid-South meow

It's a complete fiberglass hood. And yes it's functional, but it's developed some ripples under the paint that drive me nuts. Also it's about twice the weight of the stock aluminum hood so it's actually likely hindering performance even with the "ram air". I had intentions of supercharging the car but recently decided against it, so I'm starting to think it's too aggressive looking for a not so aggressive power plant.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Safety Car

It's a complete fiberglass hood. And yes it's functional, but it's developed some ripples under the paint that drive me nuts. Also it's about twice the weight of the stock aluminum hood so it's actually likely hindering performance even with the "ram air". I had intentions of supercharging the car but recently decided against it, so I'm starting to think it's too aggressive looking for a not so aggressive power plant.
Damn double weight?! Now that is heavy and likely the better air intake may not offset the look/weight. Yeah a lesser profile look would be more sleeperish as well.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Exactly. I may actually go spoiler-less, too. I already found a buyer for my hood, so it'd be pretty easy to go back to the stock hood, which I kept.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:40 AM

I'm with you on this move.

RS Approved.

PS, do they make a lip type trunk spoiler that'd cover holes?
Old 10-22-2015, 01:28 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Whew I'm so glad I got your approval!

They only other spoiler that I know of that would cover the holes is the Danko Duck Lip one and I'm not a fan. I wish there was one available because I think a smallish lip spoiler would be perfect. So unfortunately my only options are to either have the holes welded shut and the whole trunk lid painted or find a replacement trunk lid that came factory with no spoiler.
rockstar143 (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 02:27 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Um so my parents just showed up for a visit, with a surprise. Damn them!!!

Old 10-22-2015, 02:32 PM

ttribe (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 04:34 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
I think a set of projector headlights would look update the look quite a bit. I'm not talking about the ghetto led aftermarket ones, but the oem? ones from the 2010 Charger SRT8.

2008 2009 2010 Dodge Charger Factory HID Model D1S Black Headlights Assembly | eBay
Old 10-23-2015, 07:35 AM
In the Mid-South meow

^ Good call. That's on my list of future appearance mods, too. I can actually do a full HID conversion for around $300 so it's not too bad.

I still can't believe my parents came rolling in with a freaking Scat Pack. 485hp just makes me start thinking about supercharging again, but I have to be a big boy and accept my dad's Challenger can blow my Chargers doors off lol.
Sarlacc (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 07:46 AM

Orrrr...
you can trade in for a hellcat and put that fool in his place!
Old 10-23-2015, 08:08 AM
In the Mid-South meow

And be divorced and homeless. Hmm. Do the Hellcat seats fold down into a bed?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:45 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,456 Likes on 924 Posts
Wow nice ride for the parents! Is it MT?
Old 10-23-2015, 02:30 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,576 Posts
^ Good call. That's on my list of future appearance mods, too. I can actually do a full HID conversion for around $300 so it's not too bad.

I still can't believe my parents came rolling in with a freaking Scat Pack. 485hp just makes me start thinking about supercharging again, but I have to be a big boy and accept my dad's Challenger can blow my Chargers doors off lol.
Hee hee hee
Old 10-23-2015, 04:25 PM

dood...if you had hellcat, would you even miss your wife and home?
nawwwww
Old 10-23-2015, 04:30 PM

nitrous..

Old 10-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts

That is pretty funny. Your dad was like, Yup I'm going to make him think about a supercharger again.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:47 PM

Might need more than a S/C to beat pops..
Old 10-23-2015, 04:52 PM
In the Mid-South meow

I'm glad all you monkey's are getting a kick out this.

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
Wow nice ride for the parents! Is it MT?
No it's the Torqueflight 8spd auto.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Well you know......

You could always get a Vagon.....
00TL-P3.2 (10-26-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 07:11 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
...or a supercharger.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 PM

or a hellcat
Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Old 10-23-2015, 08:52 PM

Can't keep up with the Jones'...
(assuming that's your dad's last name)...
it's bad for business.

Quick Reply: SuperTrooper169's 2009 Dodge Charger R/T R&T Thread