Starter car

Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter car

Hi, i'm not going to beat around the bush, i'm still a fairly new driver with decent skills, and i'm going to learn manual next month. Now obviously i'm not going to buy a car with manual tranny straight away, but i'm just wondering if it is an extremely bad idea to buy like, say, an Integra GSR or even Type R as my first car. Yeah the wise decision would be to start off with a beater Civic or something, but the thing is, i really want to play around with it, tinker with mods on both interior and exterior, basically to buy a ride to keep for many years to come, and i dont want to buy a car i wont' like and know that i wont be still owning it in a year or two later.

I really want an Integra, it is like my dream car. I'm just wondering if its that much harder to drive a 150+ hp car, compared to a 100-110 hp, for every day driving. I swear i'm not a fast driver, but i like to have the power on hand. SOme of you would probably say it is such a waste to drive a car like a GSR in urban traffic, or driving cautiously/slowly, but that is what i'd like to do.

Also if i'm in small tight spaces like an underground parking, and i keep it in first or second gear, even if the car is powerful, its not like a tap of the gas would send it screeching forward, correct? So is there a great difference in a faster, more powerful car when you're driving controlled and slow?

Thanks for reading, i know theres a lot of questions in there but there is a lot i would like to know, before actually jumping behind the wheel of an Integra
Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Buy any Japanese (Honda/Toyota/Nissan) late model manual. They are among the easiest to learn to drive on, and cheap to fix if you screw something up
Old 08-28-2010, 09:31 PM
3rd Gear

I think I'll only consider Acura, 95-2001, or civic if i really have to (great mileage, cheap maintenence).
Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
I think you'll be fine in an Integra GS-R. I learned manual in a brand new RSX years ago.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't see why you wouldn't drive a manual straight away. Anyway, I think an Integra would be great, but there are two main issues: finding one that hasn't been abused/riced/wrecked and the absurd insurance rates. Same goes with the RSX-S. (Although I'm middled-aged with a good driving record, my insurance company quoted an RSX-S at nearly double the annual rate of a TSX or 3-Series BMW)

There are other, easier to find choices, as well, such as manual Civics and older Accords. It's also easier to find a well-maintained one. But watch out for gems. I saw a recent local listing for a '93 manual Prelude with around 50K miles. I'm tempted to buy it just to have an extra, fun, manual Honda from the era of fun, manual Hondas.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:49 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Most Honda/Acuras make power at higher RPMs so all are about the same from launch. Main problem is high theft and insurance cost for your selected cars.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:50 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Get the Integra.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:55 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks guys, knew i found the right place lol. So a more powerful, faster car won't be extra harder to control, as long as i drive it safely, and keep it in the lower gears suitable for the situation, correct? Like i said, its maneuvering in the tight spaces and crowded areas that i'm primarily worried about, since im NOT going to be ripping it unless on a highway/freeway and going with the flow of traffic.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Advanced

Get something cheap for a first car, and Civic or a LS Integra would be good for a first car.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Racer

I think the insurance rate for your cars listed above are gonna be ridiculous..... otherwise good luck with it, I've always dreamed of owning an Integra Type-R
Old 08-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by catsa
Thanks guys, knew i found the right place lol. So a more powerful, faster car won't be extra harder to control, as long as i drive it safely, and keep it in the lower gears suitable for the situation, correct? Like i said, its maneuvering in the tight spaces and crowded areas that i'm primarily worried about, since im NOT going to be ripping it unless on a highway/freeway and going with the flow of traffic.
when it comes to driving in slow traffic and tight spaces its all about clutch control. if u let it out to fast the car will lurch forward. also u have to have good control with the throttle. the answer to ur question is no u will not be ripping through the gears unless u want to. after u drive around a bit u will see what im saying
Old 08-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Accord coupe V6 6MT?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
A car's being easy to control or not depends a lot on how it was designed. Integras, as with most Hondas up until a few years ago, are generally designed and built to be quick, well-handling cars, but do not tend to be incredibly powerful, particularly compared to something like a muscle car. They are also excellent for maneuvering in tight spaces.

Also, they tend to make their power when the engines are revving at a high speed, which makes them especially good with a manual. If you want to take it easy and move in traffic, change gears fairly early (but not too early), and you'll have a nice, tame car. If you want to move quickly, however, keep the revs up and shift later, and it'll become a frothing monster. It was part of their dynamic character and one of the reasons a lot of people (including me) wound up loving Hondas. At least until fairly recently, at any rate.

Now if you were thinking of getting something like a 1970 Dodge Super Bee, I'd say the ability to control it by being light on the throttle would be a misguided illusion. (I use that car because my parents had one, but there are other examples, including a Plymouth Grand Fury ex-police car, but that's a different story.)

Still you'll have to contend with insurance rates for Integras, RSX-Ss or Civic Sis. I've never checked on Preludes, but insurance companies tend to boost rate on anything with two doors (including my 2000 Accord Coupe). The good news is that most older Hondas--especially ones from the Integra period--tend to be fun and responsive, even in sedan form. I'm particularly thinking of Civics up to 2000.

Finally, I'll throw in another caution. If you get something like an Integra or other manual transmission, older car without traction control, stability management, etc., remember that you'll be in a minority. You'll have learned to control a car without a great deal of electronic help (and I think everyone should), but if a friend who has never driven without e-guidance wants to take it for a spin, use a lot of caution and judgement.

Last edited by Carraway; 08-29-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by alex2364
I think you'll be fine in an Integra GS-R. I learned manual in a brand new RSX years ago.

Granted everyone's ability to learn is different, I got a GS-R without having that much training and did just fine. Prior to that I had driven a manual maybe 5 times. I think the GS-R is a good car to learn on.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by catsa
It has less to do with what gear you are in and how much power the car has then what you are doing with the throttle. Driven like a sane human being a 480 hp 911 turbo is a very easy car to drive, it only gets a little hairy when you are pushing the throttle down a substantial amount.

I would still be looking at a Civic or Integra if I was you simply because you may be a bit abusive to your clutch while learning and replacement of that will be much less expensive than if went into a European car and fun to drive american cars with manual transmissions don't really exist unless you have some serious $$$ to drop.

I say go for it learning to drive a manual transmission will teach you a lot about how your car and transmission work and will most likely make you a better driver in the long run. Along with that having to use both hands and and both feet to drive typically makes you pay more attention to what you are doing and leaves little opportunity for text messaging while driving.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Fossil_TL
I think the insurance rate for your cars listed above are gonna be ridiculous..... otherwise good luck with it, I've always dreamed of owning an Integra Type-R
I bought a brand new Type-R in Sep. 1998 (2 miles on odometer, #168) it was by far the best Honda I have ever owned. If you ever get the chance to buy one, do it, trust me you won't regret it.

OP, don't be afraid of manual transmission, driving stick is easy once you learn and then you'll be hitting yourself for even questioning the decision of to go with either MT or AT. Whatever decision you make good luck and welcome to AZ.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:05 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I learned manual on a civic and an supercharged Integra Type-R, IMO it doesn't matter what kind of power you have in those kind of vehicles, you should be perfectly fine in a GSR.
a manual FWD car is the best to learn standard on, there is not much trouble you can get into without purposely pushing the limits in certain kinds of situations.
I'd say GSR just for price wise, as you should be able to find a cheaper one, and for a newer driver, you shouldn't get a car that is worth a lot of money
i bought a 97 acura cl 5spd to learn manual on after my first car, and i'm pretty glad i did
good luck