Speeders: If you won't lead, DON'T FOLLOW

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
lol this kind of happened to me with 2 other cars but they also took the lead at times.

i was drving down to Miami and was in the northern part of FL on 95. i was doing bout 95mph when a chevy blazer and a crysler 300 start followin me. i pushed it to 125mph at one point and they both followed. we switched it up a few times tho and the blazer would lead at 100mph. the 300 never lead tho.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j1n
lol this kind of happened to me with 2 other cars but they also took the lead at times.

i was drving down to Miami and was in the northern part of FL on 95. i was doing bout 95mph when a chevy blazer and a crysler 300 start followin me. i pushed it to 125mph at one point and they both followed. we switched it up a few times tho and the blazer would lead at 100mph. the 300 never lead tho.
Forget the red text?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Perhaps the other drive thought you knew something he didn't know about the location of LEOs and slowed down when you slowed down to avoid a ticket. I do agree that 3 car lengths is too close, though.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
How many times have you been on a 2+ hour trip and traded places with a stranger back and forth, him leading, then you, then him, and so forth? Probably not very often. I can understand the "code of ethics" because I have one too, but rarely can you find and share that with a random driver who will have the same understanding/expectation as you. Just unlikely.

Is what this guy did annoying? Sure. And I will say that I sometimes get annoyed when people trail me because they see that I have a radar unit. But that rarely happens.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
You drive your speed, I'll drive mine. If I decide to drive the same speed as you, so what? As long as I'm not tail-gating or otherwise endangering you, so what?

I looked it up: there is no "everybody takes turns leading when speeding" rule in the Drivers Handbook.

If you don't want to be "bait", don't drive so fast.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
You drive your speed, I'll drive mine. If I decide to drive the same speed as you, so what? As long as I'm not tail-gating or otherwise endangering you, so what?

I looked it up: there is no "everybody takes turns leading when speeding" rule in the Drivers Handbook.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Dangerous = anyone who drives faster than you do. Slow doesn't equal safe and fast doesn't equal dangerous. Anyone who whines about other people breaking the law by speeding is a complete hypocrite if they drive even ONE mile per hour over the posted speed limit. Freeway speed limits are rarely based on safety, they're based on save the planet by using less fuel politics, see Montana for a sad example. Speed limits in residential areas usually make sense but rarely are freeway speed limits actually based on real science. Also, speed limits tend to be based on the least common denominator. Are we really supposed to believe that a 15 passenger van full of people doing 65 in a 65 is safe but an Acura TL doing 75, 85, or even 105 on a nearly empty interstate is a menace to society?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by jpgayan
Dangerous = anyone who drives faster than you do. Slow doesn't equal safe and fast doesn't equal dangerous. Anyone who whines about other people breaking the law by speeding is a complete hypocrite if they drive even ONE mile per hour over the posted speed limit. Freeway speed limits are rarely based on safety, they're based on save the planet by using less fuel politics, see Montana for a sad example. Speed limits in residential areas usually make sense but rarely are freeway speed limits actually based on real science. Also, speed limits tend to be based on the least common denominator. Are we really supposed to believe that a 15 passenger van full of people doing 65 in a 65 is safe but an Acura TL doing 75, 85, or even 105 on a nearly empty interstate is a menace to society?

Good points. But consider the following in light of norms and expectations:

- You're on the freeway. You and most of the traffic around you are driving 65, 70, 75 mph. Except one guy. He's going 30, maybe 35 mph. HE is a hazard. You've got 30 - 40 mph closure on him and it's completely out of the norm and unexpected. VERY dangerous.

Now consider:

- You're on the freeway. You and most of the traffic around you are driving 65, 70, 75 mph. Except one guy. He's going about 105 mph. HE is a hazard. He's got 30 - 40 mph closure on you and it's completely out the norm and unexpected. VERY dangerous.

Personally, I don't want EITHER one on the freeway.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
105 on a public road = douchebag. And believe me that's something that gets the phone out.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,392 Likes on 4,937 Posts
Originally Posted by borrowman
Perhaps the other drive thought you knew something he didn't know about the location of LEOs and slowed down when you slowed down to avoid a ticket. I do agree that 3 car lengths is too close, though.
Good point. If Im driving down the highway (most of ours have trees on both sides) and a car ahead slows down for no reason that I can see, I will be a bit more alert and may slow down a bit as well (not hitting the brakes, maybe drop my speed about 5mph or so). Ive come to know the interstates pretty well in my area so I only do that if I know theres some place a LEO can hide.

Good points. But consider the following in light of norms and expectations:

- You're on the freeway. You and most of the traffic around you are driving 65, 70, 75 mph. Except one guy. He's going 30, maybe 35 mph. HE is a hazard. You've got 30 - 40 mph closure on him and it's completely out of the norm and unexpected. VERY dangerous.

Now consider:

- You're on the freeway. You and most of the traffic around you are driving 65, 70, 75 mph. Except one guy. He's going about 105 mph. HE is a hazard. He's got 30 - 40 mph closure on you and it's completely out the norm and unexpected. VERY dangerous.

Personally, I don't want EITHER one on the freeway.

I dont see a problem with this guy following. I do see a problem with you speeding up to 105 for no reason though. Whats the point of that? Trying to shake him or something? If you dont want to lead, dont be the fastest one on the road.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts

/thread
Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I dont see a problem with this guy following. I do see a problem with you speeding up to 105 for no reason though. Whats the point of that? Trying to shake him or something? If you dont want to lead, dont be the fastest one on the road.
Well said.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I fully agree with you. The only problem with that is speed differential. I drive a 15 passenger van fully loaded at least once a week and the TL is no doubt safer at 100mph than this thing is at 55. But we can't have a 45mph speed differential on the same highway, it's just too dangerous.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
the way i see it, the driver following the OP 3 cars behind is the smarter dude....end of story.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 997 Likes on 535 Posts

In the USA, I find myself not wanting to push the realms of being cornholed by the locals in a jail cell.

Meaning, about 10 over posted on a divided highway with controlled interchanges (thruway/expressway/interstate) with light to no traffic. Anything above that is stupid. Now, I used to make runs from Augusta GA down to Ft. Lauderdale at 10 pm on I95, and I could get up to about 90 without much worry. No one on the road.

Living in Germany, however, was cool. Driving in a pack at about 120, keeping the left lane clear except to pass. You must follow that rule or you'll get rear ended quicker than Richard Simmons in the Blue Oyster bar (think Police Academy).

I can't get into anyone doing stupid speeds in the USA, except maybe in Nevada/Arizona/Montana etc... where you may not see another vehicle for 15 minutes or more.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by ciscopath
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Driving to work cruising at 85 MPH. Passed this Pontiac Grand Prix that immediately jumps out of the "75 MPH caravan" line and starts pacing me. Knowing the road pretty well, I kick it up to 95 and it does the same. After about 5 irritating minutes, I change lanes opposite of it and braked down to 70 changing lanes behind it. As expected, it's back at 75. Stayed there for a minute or so then jumped back up to 85. It does the same, all the way up to 105. At this point, I'm hot so I take the next exit and just chilled on the ramp for a couple minutes.

I, personally, have a "code of the Highway" which stipulates that if I'm travelling with speeders, responsibility is shared all around. Not just one car who plays bait for speed traps. If you've got the balls to follow me, show me you're not scared to lead either. Just wondering how you guys feel about a-holes like this. And if you are an a-hole like this, explain why you make d*%k moves like this.
These tag along drivers are usually a teen or Italian. My 911 was a magnet for assholes like that. If you can get them to pass you, most of the time they will do what ever it takes to stay ahead of you. But things are different here in Oregon (home of the friendly wave). Unless it is 7:00am, it's like pulling teeth to get these idiots to, at the least, drive the speed limit.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I wont lie, that ish annoys me when the expressway is wide open and someone is following behind me in the same lane at the same speed.

I just typically move over to the left lane because im thinking the guy behind me wants to pass. Yet he comes behind me in the left lane as well.

Thats when i just downshift and put a few car lengths between us, they typically get the hint...

Immature? Yes I am but i enjoy it.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Dangerous = anyone who drives faster than you do. Slow doesn't equal safe and fast doesn't equal dangerous. Anyone who whines about other people breaking the law by speeding is a complete hypocrite if they drive even ONE mile per hour over the posted speed limit. Freeway speed limits are rarely based on safety, they're based on raising capital for the state and local gov't. Speed limits in residential areas usually make sense but rarely are freeway speed limits actually based on real science. Also, speed limits tend to be based on the least common denominator. Are we really supposed to believe that a 15 passenger van full of people doing 65 in a 65 is safe but an Acura TL doing 75, 85, or even 105 on a nearly empty interstate is a menace to society?
Fixed.

Also, the interstate highway system was designed so that every turn could safely be taken at 80mph, and this was back when cars didn't handle so great.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
Fixed.

Also, the interstate highway system was designed so that every turn could safely be taken at 80mph, and this was back when cars didn't handle so great.

That may have been the theory, but take that poor handling automobile and try doing 80 mph "safely" on I-40 between Newport, TN and Fines Creek, NC.

:wink: