seat discomfort CL vs BMW & Audi

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 01:50 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by SiGGy
Heh, I could park one of those 7 series seats on front of my TV
LOL! Now *that* could be a solution to my livingroom redecorating dilemma...
Old 04-24-2002, 02:32 AM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CLS seats are perfect..... they even designed it to fit chinese ppl.... a 6 footer.. haha.. I don't haev skinny legs and these seats accomodate me well. These seats are great, the sides fit snug against my back during turns and the seat cushion is the prefect size.. I've driven 6 hours straight in these seats and have NO complaints...!!!
Old 04-24-2002, 12:45 PM
2nd Gear

CL seats

When I received my new owner survey from Acura I said I'd like the seat bottom to be 1-2 inches longer and the arm rest and center console to be 1-2 inches higher. I also asked for a telescoping steering wheel.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Instructor

seats vs. audi

I have to say that the driving position was one of the reasons I didn't get a CL. After driving an A6 with sport package, I had to give the nod to the Germans. A lot of it has to do with the leather tho, particularly soft in the Audi.

Also the lack of telescoping wheel and the awkward (for me) resting arm positions were definitely a factor.

Now my wife's lease is up (on her A4), so I get to go through this all again...
Old 04-24-2002, 01:41 PM
DJF
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
No one has really commented too much about the passenger seat. Damn I wish it has the same 8-way controls as the drivers seat, especially height adjustment.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL seat discomfort

The seat actually hurts my butt in my 01 CLP. Otherwise it is a good car. The to short and soft bottom allows my butt to sink in the be squeezed by the bottom side bolsters. I am 5'9" athletic and have a relatively small butt. I like a firmer flatter slightly wider seating surface like the A6 or 3 series sport seats. The weird geometric pattern on the CL seats is supposed to look cool but the cusion is lumpy and poorly designed.

The car is mechanicly very good. Even the CLP goes great, gets good milage, looks good but many times my butt regrets bying it even though my head knows it is hard to beat a honda product.
If I get an A6 or 3 series they won't go as well or be as reliable as the CL.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Re: CL seat discomfort

Originally posted by mhpellerin
The seat actually hurts my butt in my 01 CLP. Otherwise it is a good car. The to short and soft bottom allows my butt to sink in the be squeezed by the bottom side bolsters. I am 5'9" athletic and have a relatively small butt....

More than I wanted to know or hear this early in the morning.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Subie Dubie

These are the best seats in any car i've ever had.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:33 AM
Racer

There is a huge difference between the seats in the CLp versus teh CLs. Thats one of the main reasons I bought the car (other than the big smile on my face when I hit 100 while doing the test drive).

I've found some other cars to be comfortable but not as supportive at the Acura's.

Also, try rasing the front of the lower part of the seat and see it that helps.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

CL Seat Discomfort

My last car was a 98 Accord V6 Coupe and the seats in that car were more comfortable I am finding out. I looked at one yesterday and measured the seat bottom and it was 2 " longer giving a lot more lower thigh support. It is also wider and flatter than the CL because it has a more plain geometric shape which I find more attractive. This was something I overlooked when I bought my 01CL. I just figured the seats would be better or as good as the honda coupe and they are not. Sure the quality of the leather is a bit better and they are heated but the cusion and bolster design is more supportive and confortable in the Honda.

So the acura is quieter and quicker and other good things than the Honda and other cars. I just wish I could do something about these seats. Again; not wide enough , flat enough, bottom isn't long enough, overly bolstered and sqeeze to much. Passenger back not heated
Old 05-03-2002, 02:54 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by SiGGy

The bottom of the seat pulls out for further support on your lower legs by 3-5inches.

You can actually put your head against the headrest while driving!! unlike the CLS where if you did that you'd be staring at the roof.

The CLS seats are not very good, and do NOT make you sit properly, you have to learn forward from the seat.

If I had to guess I'd say you're either very short or very tall. I'm 6'1" and the seats in the CLS are absolutely perfect with the exception of no telescoping steering wheel which would enable me to sit more properly in the seat, however they are still the most comfortable car seats in the price range that I found.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: CL Seat Discomfort

Originally posted by mhpellerin
My last car was a 98 Accord V6 Coupe and the seats in that car were more comfortable I am finding out...
To each his own. My girlfriend had a '98 Accord sedan (LS, I think it's called), and she complained about the seats all the time--her main gripe about the car. She complained about stiffness of the leather, as far as the seat, and the lack of support in the back. I understand what she means too, having driven it the 660 miles to Mammoth and back a number of times on our ski trips. She recently replaced it with a Volvo S60 1.8T, the same day I got my CL, but whenever she gets in my car she says I got the better car and mine is more comfortable. (I've driven her S60 a couple of times, and I agree, though the S60 is pretty classy and is a decent car to drive.)

I'm not saying your Accord seats were the same as hers, or even implying that just because the CL seats fit me just about perfectly that they should be the same for you. But certainly seat comfort is a matter of personal preference and personal anatomy.

Old 05-04-2002, 01:26 AM
Safety Car

Re: Re: CL Seat Discomfort

Originally posted by codehead

I'm not saying your Accord seats were the same as hers, or even implying that just because the CL seats fit me just about perfectly that they should be the same for you. But certainly seat comfort is a matter of personal preference and personal anatomy.

Or like another guy above shared with us, the comfort level depends on the shape of your ass !!!
Old 05-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

Just about anyone sitting in the cl seats makes the seat loook really small and tight. Acura did a poor job with the layout of the cl. They should have started with a decent seat and designed the car around it. Instead they started with the accord platform and made the center console wider which ment they had to make the seats narrower. So they are to narrow and the large bolsters just aggravate the problem. Also the the seat bottom is like I'm sitting on half a seat. It is ridiculous. I am 5' 9" with a 32" inseam and 4 " of my thigh hangs off the edhe with no support.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Red Rider
These are the best seats in any car i've ever had.