Say no to carfax very informative video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Say no to carfax very informative video inside.

Been looking for a TL or a TSX still trying to decide but, was told by a buddy of mine to use auto check instead of carfax. Man was he right. I have found at least 10 or so cars with damage from big to small dealers.

Then he sent me this video from a Canadian news organization called Marketplace (video link here). Its a great video and note what the carfax guy says toward the end of the video . I will defiantly be taking my next vehicle not only to a dealer for inspection but to a body shop. Carfax should be sued. Experian Auto check FTW!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Thats messed up. My friend had a similar incident. He bought a used 2001 Honda Civic LX coupe with a clean carfax report. Later he turned the car in for timing belt change and other regular checkup. Mechanic was surprised, he told him and even showed him an example of a craptastic welding. Front sub-frame and rear lower control arms were welded. From now on No Carfax, take car to a mechanic and get it checked out.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:42 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
WOW! I watched that whole video and thank you very much for that! I bought a TL that had been paited on the rear quater panel but the carfax said nothing. I wonder what Autocheck would say about it? Great find and thanks for sharing!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone know what database the lady was checking and found structural damage?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Safety Car

Check original post..

Experian Auto check
Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Instructor

These dealers are shady as hell!!! I was messing around on auto trader and found an 05 g35 coupe for 17.9 with 23k miles. Dealer has a clean carfax posted but I did an autocheck and found frame damage.

I emailed the dealer how he could justify the price. His reply......Don't buy it. Thanks. HELL NAW! Don't buy from World Auto in GA!!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:01 PM
joe rocks c2s :D

this is so helpful!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:20 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i dunno i don't see how they are so wrong though. they try to get the most information on vehicles.
They never claim to have the full history of all cars.
And there was never any checks done the opposite way to see if carfax had info that Experian didn't.
still just seems biased to me
the dealers may not have known themselves either.
And wtf is up with the guy and the RL, there is a sticker missing from the top of the bumper so it's probably been replaced. wtf, maybe the sticker came off somehow. And the weather stripping is loose, well maybe someone was doing stuff in the trunk(replacing tailight bulbs etc..) and had to remove/replace the weather stripping...
whole video seems to just try and poke holes in everything. if you look at any company hard enough, they will be flawed
Just my tho
Old 03-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Safety Car

A year ago My local Toyota Dealer was ready to sell me a 2007 Honda Civic EX 5 speed for $13K with only 7K miles. Back then price for those cars was around 16-17K OTD with clean carfax(dealer price). I told him I'll come tommorow with down payment and all other documents required, I went there next day, he told me that he already sold the car for $15K and he told me 'secret' about that car that it was in front end collision(sp?) and was fixed without insurance involved.(it was dealers sons car). I don't trust any dealer anymore, always get a good mechanic involved in car purchase.

I felt so sorry for who ever bought that car.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
That Carfax rep needs a smackdown. I hate his face.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Im tempted to buy the Auto Check report on my car but Im kinda scared to find anything. Maybe it would be better to just not know...
Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Wow, that video is eye-opening but not entirely surprising.

+1 on giving the Carfax rep a smackdown....though what did we expect him to say?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
good stuff. Wow, I learned something new everyday...
Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

I ran an Autocheck on my S2000 just as an experiment. It came out clean, just like the Carfax. Then again, I had it inspected, it had all original body panels when I bought it last year, and it checked out then.

I think a better idea than ignoring Carfax is to run a check on AutoCheck AND Carfax because one might have information that the other doesn't. It only adds to your being an informed consumer.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

thx for the good info~ one can never be too careful!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:15 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i love how all the cars are acuras lol
Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
where is....

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I ran an Autocheck on my S2000 just as an experiment. It came out clean, just like the Carfax. Then again, I had it inspected, it had all original body panels when I bought it last year, and it checked out then.

I think a better idea than ignoring Carfax is to run a check on AutoCheck AND Carfax because one might have information that the other doesn't. It only adds to your being an informed consumer.
i also gave carfax and autocheck a shot since they were less than $30 for unlimited month when i was looking for a used car. they both had stuff the other one didn't. and i also ran my old CL to see if it had reported the accident my brother got in with it. neither of them had it even though the repair bill was $3,200. in the end, nothing beats having it checked at a garage that specializes in frame damage.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
HAHA that carfax dude is trying so hard to be professional but i know deep down inside he was pissed. thats funny
Old 03-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WILLDOGS
That Carfax rep needs a smackdown. I hate his face.
+2. I think he wasn't expecting that kind of questions..
Old 03-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Safety Car

I think I am going to watch *all* videos in that link you posted OP. They seem very intresting.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Omg the CarFax rep smiles too god damn much hes so annoying lol
Old 03-25-2009, 01:32 AM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Say what you will about Carfax, but the plain truth is that used cars in general pose a major consumer risk. A used car purchase should be handled with extreme caution that most people don't bother taking...especially if it's a car sitting on a lot. Used cars that end up on lots are some of biggest pieces of junk you'll find...the original owners knew damn well that trying to sell the smashed and repaired car privately exposes them, or at the very least poses a moral dilema they don't want to deal with. Therefore many cars like the one's in the video end up getting traded in on purpose, since many dealers will miss body repair work on a quick used car appraisal, and virtually nobody has a guilty conscious about lying to a dealership (or ommiting information, as the case may be.)

I personally hate used cars. Harder than you think to find a car that's been well taken care of and free of sad stories.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
^^ In retrospect if you do your homework right it is very easy to find a good clean, decently priced used car.

BTW Autocheck>*
Old 03-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Mod put this up as a sticky please. People need to know.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buying a used car does pose a risk to the buyer. However, if you do your homework, you'll be OK. Repaint traces are very easy to spot. If a car has 0 repaint, most likely the car hasn't been in a wreck at all.

In regards to Carfax, I've been buying used cars without Carfax or Autocheck and the cars have been OK.

Another thing, did you know that even new cars can have body repair and the dealer isn't obligated to tell you? Except frame damages of course. That's why I still inspect the paint and all the panels of all new cars I buy before I take delivery. Personally, I've found new cars on dealer lot with repainted quarter panels, replaced door, etc.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
WTF ... This isn't Canadian. This sounds American ... Where's the "aboots" and "hosers" and "take off, eh?"
Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by charliemike
WTF ... This isn't Canadian. This sounds American ... Where's the "aboots" and "hosers" and "take off, eh?"
You sir are a racist. Just kidding. Check the video part when the guy gets his check from the dealer he clearly says "aboots"
Old 03-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by onebadtsx
You sir are a racist. Just kidding. Check the video part when the guy gets his check from the dealer he clearly says "aboots"
It's great work by that team though. Carfax is a pile of junk.

Fortunately, Autocheck came back clean on my S4.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 260 HP

Another thing, did you know that even new cars can have body repair and the dealer isn't obligated to tell you? Except frame damages of course. That's why I still inspect the paint and all the panels of all new cars I buy before I take delivery. Personally, I've found new cars on dealer lot with repainted quarter panels, replaced door, etc.
True. The laws vary from state to state on this, but in Oregon (where I live) dealers are only obligated to disclose paint or body repair work to a customer if the total repair cost exceeds $500. Does that protect anyone from unscrupulous dealers? Not very often I'd bet, but that's how the state law reads. (I've checked).

With a new car you can also ask the dealer about any damage documented and repaired at the distribution facility or while held in dealer inventory. Most buyers would never think to ask, and there's nothing stopping the dealer from lying to you about it, but it's good to ask none the less.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
best bet is to run a vin past your insurance agent. they will know about any and all claims made against car
Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Since December '08, I've since switched my business from Carfax to Autocheck. Mostly for price reasons. BUT, if there is a vehicle that was involved in a collision and there was no police report, neither Carfax OR Autocheck will pick it up. The main difference between the two is that Autocheck also pulls reports from the dealer auctions, and if the auction were to pre-inspect a car at the seller or buyers request and state previous damage or repair in their inspection, Autocheck would pick that up and Carfax would not.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Just watched the video...I posted above before even watching, and most of what I said accurately descibes what it is in reality. As a dealer, I do not rely on carfax reports to know about damages, or even autocheck. I use it only to trace it's history for anything else. Anything on the vehicle itself, I MUST touch the car and go over it in detail. Aside from the "touch" test, I also use a paint meter to determine the thickness of the paint. It's a good guide to use and determine what panels had been repainted, and where there's body filler. It's not cheap at over $700, but it's definately paid for itself many times over. It's also useful for me when looking at a car at night when I can't see it well enough to see the paintwork...

Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mitch14
i dunno i don't see how they are so wrong though. they try to get the most information on vehicles.
They never claim to have the full history of all cars.
And there was never any checks done the opposite way to see if carfax had info that Experian didn't.
still just seems biased to me
the dealers may not have known themselves either.
And wtf is up with the guy and the RL, there is a sticker missing from the top of the bumper so it's probably been replaced. wtf, maybe the sticker came off somehow. And the weather stripping is loose, well maybe someone was doing stuff in the trunk(replacing tailight bulbs etc..) and had to remove/replace the weather stripping...
whole video seems to just try and poke holes in everything. if you look at any company hard enough, they will be flawed
Just my tho
Most panels have a sticker with the VIN number on it. The 2 Acura's that they showed had "H(onda) DOT" stickers on them. That means the panels were replaced with original Honda panels (and not aftermarket reproductions) that are DOT approved. A car from the factory would not have "Honda DOT" stickers on them. And shame on the dealer for not identifying that, it's an obvious sign that the panel was replaced.

There was one time I was taking in a trade on a 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. Eyeball and feeling test showed no paint work. I whipped out the paint meter and the passenger's side rear door showed an inconsistent reading to the rest of the car. But the panel looked so perfect, showing no sign of being painted visually. Both carfax and Autocheck showed nothing. I was convinced that the car might have had that door refinished at the factory or port because it either had a flaw on it or was damaged in transport. That one really had me confused...
Old 03-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,394 Likes on 5,286 Posts
good to know, that sux about carfax.. :-/

Shoofin, is there such a thing as "legit" in the car biz?

neuronbob, congrats on the CTS-V! would love to see pix.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
spaz

as someone looking to buy a used car right now i found the video fairly useful.
too bad autocheck didn't help at all for me. I checked about 10 cars through carfax and then through autocheck. not once did autocheck show me any information at all that is more useful and sometimes showed me less information than carfax did.

waste of $25 bucks...
i'll assume autocheck is better for canadians because all the acuras in canada have frame damage.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by srika

Shoofin, is there such a thing as "legit" in the car biz?
I only conduct my business the right way. I do not like to take in cars that have a history that isn't to my satisfaction. I don't hide anything from my customers. Most definately appreciate it...Can't please everybody, but those that I have pleased, are more than happy with my service.

P.S. Delivered a RR Sport this morning as a "surprise" to my customer's wife, she was beyond happy, and especially appreciated my taking the time to show her the car in and out, something they say they have never experienced from dealing with brokers like me. You know that they will be bringing up my name to all their friends and family....
Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by srika
neuronbob, congrats on the CTS-V! would love to see pix.
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/neuronbobs-official-cts-v-appreciation-thread-6mt-v-wagon-10-yrs-old-pg-46-a-716744/ so another thread isn't hijacked with the V.... LOL!

And kudos to folks like Shoofin who do the car business the right way. I hate buying cars even though I do it more often than many, and when you have good relationships with the sellers/brokers, as well as good inspectors when buying used, it makes things much easier.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Say what you will about Carfax, but the plain truth is that used cars in general pose a major consumer risk. A used car purchase should be handled with extreme caution that most people don't bother taking...especially if it's a car sitting on a lot. Used cars that end up on lots are some of biggest pieces of junk you'll find...the original owners knew damn well that trying to sell the smashed and repaired car privately exposes them, or at the very least poses a moral dilema they don't want to deal with. Therefore many cars like the one's in the video end up getting traded in on purpose, since many dealers will miss body repair work on a quick used car appraisal, and virtually nobody has a guilty conscious about lying to a dealership (or ommiting information, as the case may be.)
I personally hate used cars. Harder than you think to find a car that's been well taken care of and free of sad stories.
Used cars aren't that bad. Its risky, but you should do your homework anyways. I remember a thread on here months ago about a couple of salesmen from a wisconsin dealership, photographed, dragracing two brand new GTR's with less than 10 miles on them. Those cars went back on the lot and sold for 70+ grand!! I personally use carfax, and its been very good so far! it does't just spot damages, it has also saved me from buying lemons too. TONS of highend luxury dealerships in chicago (won't name names, PM me), are deep into the buisness of selling lemons, bought from auctions in california!! carfax saved me from 3 cars that were like this. Its not perfect, but its a pretty good service, that will get better with time.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,394 Likes on 5,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
I only conduct my business the right way. I do not like to take in cars that have a history that isn't to my satisfaction. I don't hide anything from my customers. Most definately appreciate it...Can't please everybody, but those that I have pleased, are more than happy with my service.

P.S. Delivered a RR Sport this morning as a "surprise" to my customer's wife, she was beyond happy, and especially appreciated my taking the time to show her the car in and out, something they say they have never experienced from dealing with brokers like me. You know that they will be bringing up my name to all their friends and family....
good to hear bud - sadly I think you are in the minority in the car biz.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I will need this when I go looking for a used 2009 CTS-V next year.

Quick Reply: Say no to carfax very informative video inside.