Saw/Drove some cars at dealers today CLS 500/350ZR/05 G35C

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 09:32 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,097 Likes on 2,706 Posts
Saw/Drove some cars at dealers today CLS 500/350ZR/05 G35C

OK...To start I wanted to test the 350ZR and the G35C, and my friend came with me and he saw a CLS 500 on the road so wanted to check one out at the dealer.

So the CLS first.

My friend talked to the saleman he leased his fiances car from. They had just gotten one in and it out back and hadnt been PDIed yet. So, he grabbed the key and took us to it.

Let me say I am not a merc fan, and was never impressed by the pics of the CLS.

This car is fucking MONEY!!!

It was Silver with Black interior and wood. The wood is like a natural wood with no type of glaze or sealant, so its nice and matte.
The interior is very well designed...not so impressed with the front seats, but everything else is well done. The center console opens to the left OR right pending who wants to get in it. Navi screen look nice. Sound system is thumping.

Back seats are nice, decent leg room. Huge trunk.

Car is truly a 4 door Coupe. Now I learned all merc coupes have the flat merc emblem on the hoods, while all merc sedans have the scultpered emblem thats stands up. This car comes with both embles pending which one you want on the car...nice little touch.

The exterior lines of this car are just so sexy in person. the low roof line leading the slope of the back.

This car is money. plain and simple. I applaud merc for it.

350ZR

Drove the Grand Touring Model

Til this day I still hadnt driven a 350...just never got around to it. I really liked the drop tops and decided to give it a go.

Love the way the exterior looks specially with the top down, for some reason LOVE the burnt orange color in the drop top.

Car performs awesomely. Smooth power nice clutch. good short shifts...2nd gear felt a little nothcy but not enough to care. I loved not having to drop to 2nd gear to pass, and I LOVED the torque...so sick of not having it. Car was brand new, and I wasnt used to having a cluth with such a high engagement so I burnt it a little But the car felt solid. Tight steering.

Interior...lost marks with me...the interior door handles look and feel like crap. and the armrest on the door is way too low. my only real complaints. I like the interior design overall. and the seats where ok.

I did really like this car...just dont like the price. And the lack of practicallity...NO trunk or storage whats so ever.

2005 G35C

I didnt not drive this car because they had no 6spds in stock and I wont drive an auto.

But I spent a fair amount of time checking it out. Interior feels so much nicer then Z, of course... Better materials. The seats really hug you and feel much more comfortable. I really liked the seats The new 19s look better in person, but I hate how the stick out...like my acura rims...just makes more prone to curb rash on a bad day.

New interior design is nice. Subtle. Comfortable car. Back seat area was very surprising...there is actual decent legroom back there...course im 5'8". Trunk is small but usuable and having flip down rear seats...why my CL doesnt have this....makes them more usable.

I really really liked the g35C...I would own this car in a heart beat.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I was impressed with the CLS pics since they came out. It was a welcome change to the stale interiors of Mercedes (you know, the undulating thin strip of wood running across the dash and the V shaped center console).
Old 01-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarlacc23
Let me say I am not a merc fan, and was never impressed by the pics of the CLS.

This car is fucking MONEY!!!

It was Silver with Black interior and wood. The wood is like a natural wood with no type of glaze or sealant, so its nice and matte.
The interior is very well designed...not so impressed with the front seats, but everything else is well done. The center console opens to the left OR right pending who wants to get in it. Navi screen look nice. Sound system is thumping.

Back seats are nice, decent leg room. Huge trunk.

Car is truly a 4 door Coupe. Now I learned all merc coupes have the flat merc emblem on the hoods, while all merc sedans have the scultpered emblem thats stands up. This car comes with both embles pending which one you want on the car...nice little touch.

The exterior lines of this car are just so sexy in person. the low roof line leading the slope of the back.

This car is money. plain and simple. I applaud merc for it.
I like the CLS too. Beautiful car. A definite departure from Mercedes' typically conservative styling... seems to be the theme for all the new cars they've been rolling out lately. Aggresive styling is the way to go. But since it is based on the current W211 E-Class, I'm a little skeptical of the way it drives... must understeer like a pig, and I really hope they sort out the steering and ease off the electronic intervention crap. Takes away from the feedback and fun of driving and this is precisely why I bailed out of an E55 I ordered. It was great in a straight line but ask it to turn on a dime and it becomes a disappointment. I can't see how the CLS will improve on this being that it is essentially the same weight if not heavier with mostly the same underpinnings as an E-Class. MB would have to do some serious chassis tuning to make the CLS dance like a ballerina. BMW was able to pull this off with the E39 M5, so why can't MB? Btw, that console thing you mention that opens on either side exists for most of the cars MB make... they designed it that way for easy accesibility of the optional phone cradle, even my little benz has it.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:55 PM
The Third Ball

^ well said. As stated Ive never been a merc fan. like the SL...still would ever consider buying a CLS. Put in person the CLS was pretty pimp.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:02 PM
The Third Ball

still would NEVER....whoops.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great stories.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I cant wait to see a CLS in person. I bet in black with some 22s it would look sharp
Old 01-22-2005, 09:45 PM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the E-class and new CLS class is two of the hottest cars on the rod.PERIOD.

I've always liked the E-class. all my friends kid me because I said if I hit the lotto I'd get a E320CDI or E55 AMG . They all want Vipers,GTs, Lambos, Ferraris. but I've never been wild about American and Italian car styling.
German's can really design a car well. but sad to say Japanese can't(in my opinion) put a good design (like the CLS or E-class or even new BMW Z4) but their quality isn't on par with the Japanese cars.