Replacing heater core...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Go B's Go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing heater core...

I have coolant leaking from under the glove compartment in my 96 Deville. I went to Midas they said it would be about 700-800 to fix it, since they have to take off the whole dash and everything. However, I've been reading some online and and some places have said that its a relatively easy process, and shouldn't take that long.

Is 700 crazy, or is that what it would really cost. You guys have any experience with this.

Thanks in advance,

Christoph
Old 02-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
On that type of car I have no idea. Heater core replacement on my Explorer is a 30 min job & another $35 in parts. Real easy.
Might want to buy a service manual & look up what's involved. Most auto stores have Hayes, or Chiltions manuals that cover that car. Hell, read it in the store if you can.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Go B's Go

^^In your case it would probably cost about a hundred dollars with the labor. I highly doubt that it would cost 600 extra just because of the different make...maybe like 200 but not 700/800
Old 02-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Depends.....If the dash has to come out to access the heater core, that a ton of labor. If the shop charges $90/labor rate that racks it up. That's why I said research it yourself. Know what needs to be done.
Look up some web forums, maybe there are shortcut ways to replace it.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Depends.....If the dash has to come out to access the heater core, that a ton of labor. If the shop charges $90/labor rate that racks it up. That's why I said research it yourself. Know what needs to be done.
Look up some web forums, maybe there are shortcut ways to replace it.
Agreed. I've replaced some heater cores that were a breeze. Others have been a bitch and taken the better part of the day.

Terry
Old 02-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Replaced the heater in my beater '95 Kia Sportage. Had to take out the ENTIRE DASH! IT WAS A SERIOUS PITA! Do a search and firgure out what is envolved. If the removal doesn't require takeing the entire dash off, do it yourself! If it does, it warrants the expensive cost, and I would even say, to go ahead and pay someone else to do it. See if you can talk them down to $375 on the labor and you buy the parts...
Old 02-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Go B's Go

Does that first heater core on the page fit a 96 deville, because at the top it says it does then...a little below it says "this part fits"
Old 02-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Go B's Go

I posted my question on a cadillac forum...I got this response:

\
I wouldn't pay that much. I did this myself a couple years ago. Not really that difficult to do if you have mechanical skills. I replaced mine for about $200 total. $150 for the core and I replaced all the hoses associated with it.

Take out the glove box.
Take the lower passenger floor dash panel out.
You will see a black box.
You will then have to take the screws out to move the computer brain out of the way.
Take the screws out that are around the heater core housing (black box)
once you get that cover off, you should mark where the control rod is snapped into place that is for the control of the heater door. After that cover is off, there will be a bracket holding the heater core in place. Disconnect the heater hoses in the engine compartment fist before taking this brack off. After you get the heater core loose, you should be able to just pull it out. BE CAREFUL, THERE WILL BE COOLANT IN THERE. May want to put some plastic and towels down to catch the spillage.
Once you have the old one out, reinstall it. It was one of the easiest I have replaced. Good luck.
Sounds good...however I highly doubt I'd be capable of doing that myself. But how does a mechanic charge 7-800 for something like this?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:15 PM

That honestly sounds pretty simple. I think you can do it. First look in the engine bay and find the hoses that you will have to disconnect there. That will be 25% of the battle. I don't think this project would take a novice more than 4 hours than complete. Give it a go, if you get to a spot where you get stuck, put everything back and have some else do it. For now, you have instructions, do that shit!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Go B's Go

Just called three different places...one place said 900-1000, the other 700-800 and the last one said 400-500...its all a scam
Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 AM

I am sure they came to the prices by either looking in a book at the estimated hours and multiplying it by their rate, or they just gave you a number because you said heater core and and assumed it would be a total dash removal, or they actually have experience doing the replacement on that exact car.

Either way, I think you should try it first and if you can't get it take it to the $400 folks. You are less likely to get suckered into paying a shit load of money if you go in and talk to the people like you know exactly what it takes and tell them you just don't have the time to do it yourself.

I can not over emphasize how much it would help if you TRIED IT YOURSELF. It sounds like an easy process and it honestly isn't rocket science. The way I see it, if George with a high school diploma can do it with just hand tools, then damnit, I can too!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by bl^5
I am sure they came to the prices by either looking in a book at the estimated hours and multiplying it by their rate, or they just gave you a number because you said heater core and and assumed it would be a total dash removal, or they actually have experience doing the replacement on that exact car.

Either way, I think you should try it first and if you can't get it take it to the $400 folks. You are less likely to get suckered into paying a shit load of money if you go in and talk to the people like you know exactly what it takes and tell them you just don't have the time to do it yourself.

I can not over emphasize how much it would help if you TRIED IT YOURSELF. It sounds like an easy process and it honestly isn't rocket science. The way I see it, if George with a high school diploma can do it with just hand tools, then damnit, I can too!
Yeah I understand what your trying to say. I would attempt to do it myself if I was at home and could put the car in the garage. However, I'm at school and I'm not going to attempt it in the parking lot in the cold.

I'll have to get a few opinions...but either way I have to get it fixed before I go home since I can't drive a long distance.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, they told me that book rate to do a transmission top cover gasket on my Saturn was 2 hrs.

It took me an hr to get everything out...I thought I could slap a new gasket on and put it back together.

Well, turns out the gasket sealer used "super glued" the gasket not to the top cover itself, but to the transmission! So uhh...I spent 1.5+ hrs scraping the sucker off...in a 1' by 1' space.

Sure, it sounds easy, but it almost never turns out that way with these type of jobs.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Yeah, they told me that book rate to do a transmission top cover gasket on my Saturn was 2 hrs.

It took me an hr to get everything out...I thought I could slap a new gasket on and put it back together.

Well, turns out the gasket sealer used "super glued" the gasket not to the top cover itself, but to the transmission! So uhh...I spent 1.5+ hrs scraping the sucker off...in a 1' by 1' space.

Sure, it sounds easy, but it almost never turns out that way with these type of jobs.
Yeah I agree with you...I'm sure I'd get stuck somewhere
Old 02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

That's why you buy a service manual for $20 at an auto parts store. At least look what you need to do.
I would not touch ANYTHING until you had this information.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
That's why you buy a service manual for $20 at an auto parts store. At least look what you need to do.
I would not touch ANYTHING until you had this information.
even with a service manual I wouldn't attempt it...Greenie lives in this area maybe he knows a good shop
Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BstonBruin
even with a service manual I wouldn't attempt it...Greenie lives in this area maybe he knows a good shop
I'll ask my brother when he gets home... Like I said via PM, I've done alot of work in the past myself, and since my acura is new, haven't needed anything done on that, so I've have like zero personal experience with local mechanics.

I'm about 15 mines south of you, but my brothers baby's mama lives up by the college.... She's had someone do work in the bonneville she bought off my father, so she might be able to help...

Chris, Maybe getting it towed back home where you're more familiar with mechanics is another option ??

edit: Last time I changes a heater core, it was in a 70's pinto (must have been someone time in the 80's)... That was a pain in the ass to do, but I'd imagine that a deville would have alot more room to work in...