Remote Starter on manual?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter on manual?

I have a leased Subaru Impreza Sedan, I want to put a remote starter on it...is this hard to do by yourself?

A guy here quoted me $450, is this reasonable?....my dad is a electrician/ handy man....how much should a good remote starter cost and is hard to do to a manual car since...you have to push the clutch in when you trun on the car...I'm pretty sure the key has no chip in it as well...

I dont wanna hook up a leased car....but this essential to me in this hot and humid weather here in FL

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Pro

Bump.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I wouldn't do it myself.

You also need to override the clutch on start up, which isn't exactly safe, especially if you like to leave it in gear when you exit the car.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Boom goes the Dynamite

DON"T do it, there is no safe way to prevent the car from starting while in gear. I have been in the industry for 27 years and I have seen all the different attempts and none of them are perfect. You would hate to RS your car and have it hit a child/person/building.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Dark tinted windows would be a better option.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i have done clutch bypasses with the use of simple relays.. it is possible to do... i have done it many times... but truthfully i have only done it because my clients really want to have the feature.... but personally i would never do it on my own car because it is not safe...

as many others have posted, you run the risk of your car driving away from you if you forget and leave it in gear... my friend once had to chase his car down the street... but if you do really want to have this feature, look for an alarm that has a certain way to set the auto start for MT cars... in order to set the remote start, you would need to leave it in neutral, leave the car on, hit the auto start button to get the alarm to take over, get out of the car, arm the alarm, and then hit the auto start button to turn off the alarm... this will allow you to come back and start the car later... but this is required to be done every time you want to auto start it... but at least there is a safety and your car isn't in gear
Old 06-28-2006, 09:58 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
I would also adivse against it on a manual car. I remember a couple years back I was looking around the TL (could have been TSX) forums and somebody got a valet guy to get his car, well the valey got to the car, push the remote start (thinking it was unlock) and the car jumped 5 feet forward and went right into a wall, he bent his rim and there was a shit load of damage to the car aswell. Im not saying this will happen to you but its better to be safe then sorry.

I agree with Jesal, tinted windows helps ALOT.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Not worth it. Tint your windows and tough it out for the first 15 seconds in the car.

I only know one guy who had it done and he accidently pushed the button at dinner and his truck lunged forward into a modded truck. That mistake cost him a couple grand and some angry truck monkeys.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Pro

Yeah I guess you guys are right....I usually leave my car in 1st...but like the guy siad I would have to leave it in neutral...something I'm not used to!!! Probably one day I might make a mistake and not leave it neutral and all hell would brake loose with my luck

I have the tinted windows...its just so damn hot out here with no shade at all...I'll suck it up...thanks for the info guys
Old 06-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by I'm Batman
DON"T do it, there is no safe way to prevent the car from starting while in gear. I have been in the industry for 27 years and I have seen all the different attempts and none of them are perfect. You would hate to RS your car and have it hit a child/person/building.
That's just not true.
Compustar, & Clifford make ones that can be install on manuals. They have safty features that will only start the car if the parking brake is on & the car is not in gear.
It will not start if both of these are not done.

Now the problem is these "installers" that think can can bypass things to make it work. This is where you here the horror stories of remote starts on manual cars. And why thet get bad reps.

I had one on another car. It was ok in the FL heat, but it wasn't that much of a difference. I'd have to start it & let it run 5 minutes to cool off. I might as well just drive with the windows down for 5 minutes & get the same results.
Tinted windows help a great deal. Get them dark 20% or 15%.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I'm Batman

well, I agree and totally disagree with this comment.

Unless your manual tranny has a neutral sensor don't do it. I guess in his 27 years he hasn't seen one. But there are manual transmissions that have them, and adapters to add to the linkage to sense neutral. And that would be 100% fool proof. Especially if you link it to the parking brake as well.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
That's just not true.
Compustar, & Clifford make ones that can be install on manuals. They have safty features that will only start the car if the parking brake is on & the car is not in gear.
It will not start if both of these are not done.

Now the problem is these "installers" that think can can bypass things to make it work. This is where you here the horror stories of remote starts on manual cars. And why thet get bad reps.

I had one on another car. It was ok in the FL heat, but it wasn't that much of a difference. I'd have to start it & let it run 5 minutes to cool off. I might as well just drive with the windows down for 5 minutes & get the same results.
Tinted windows help a great deal. Get them dark 20% or 15%.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
with teh above to posts. There are systems out there now if installed properly will be safe and wont allow the car to be started in gear
Old 06-28-2006, 01:40 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Better option?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:49 PM
The Bearwok

I hava a compustar model that will start the car every 20-30 minutes and let it run for a few to keep it cool. I have never used it but it seems up your alley. My system is manual capable with a relay and i had it installed for 279 OTD (on an automatic though). Not 2-way, but we like it in the winter here.

That was on my wife's old car, her new car (Yukon XL) has solar treated glass that works like tint without the dark. I like that better.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I have a Viper alarm with remote start in my 5 speed. I don't leave it in gear at all. Had it for 16 mos and not one incident thank g-d....