Opinions on BMW Navi

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Rod
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions on BMW Navi

Well I test drove a 335i coupe yesterday and really liked it and now would like some opinions regarding BMW's navigation systems. The one I test drove did not have a navi and the salesman said that this car would not be available with a navi until Dec or Jan. I'm not sure if this is BS or not, but in any case none were available.

I am not the type that really "needs" a navigation system in my car due to lots of out of town driving or whatever, but I would like to have one in my next car if possible. Why? Because I always regretted not getting one in my CL-S. I didn't get it on my CL-S because I knew I didn't really need it, but then regretted it because of the all the stories you hear of how it does come in handy on those rare occasions and because its screen could also be modded for viewing DVDs and playing games on. I just like to have all the newest little gadgets and toys and that's probably the real reason I would like the navi.

Since I may want to also connect a DVD player or gaming system to play through the navi screen, how good are the BMW screens as far as quality, resolution, etc. go. I'm not sure if any of this is even possible with the 335 or if it will be using the existing navi system or upgrade to a new one, but any info is greatly appreciated.

I haven't decided upon the 335 100% yet, but it's one of my top choices and just about everything else I'm considering will have a stock navi.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Well, once you choose the Nav system......you get idrive.

IMHO, its really not the worst thing as some people make it out to be.

What it happens to be is not the most intuitive by an stretch and the processer could be quicker.

Other than that, if you really want Nav go for it. If you have half a brain, you'll be able to use it.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Rod
Drifting

Yes, I forgot to mention that, along with the navi comes iDrive. Will I just be better off going with an aftermarket headunit that has a navi, DVD player, iPod controls, etc? I will probably be adding a sub too anyway.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Im not a fan on how aftermarket units look in cars. I say go with the bmw navi, its pricey though.

Just dont skip out on some other options just to get it.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Holler at your boy

people already have 335i with NAV. 2nd for 07 it comes with real time traffic as part of the NAV. Get it...
Old 10-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Im not a fan on how aftermarket units look in cars. I say go with the bmw navi, its pricey though.

Just dont skip out on some other options just to get it.

me too...i actually love the Idrive..my dad has it in his 750 and i honestly dont know what ppl dont like about it. I got used to it quick. The Navi quality in the 7 is great, i believe the pic quality is better than my TL but my TL navi is MUCH MUCH easier to use.

Travis
Old 10-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rod
Well I test drove a 335i coupe yesterday and really liked it and now would like some opinions regarding BMW's navigation systems. The one I test drove did not have a navi and the salesman said that this car would not be available with a navi until Dec or Jan. I'm not sure if this is BS or not, but in any case none were available.

I am not the type that really "needs" a navigation system in my car due to lots of out of town driving or whatever, but I would like to have one in my next car if possible. Why? Because I always regretted not getting one in my CL-S. I didn't get it on my CL-S because I knew I didn't really need it, but then regretted it because of the all the stories you hear of how it does come in handy on those rare occasions and because its screen could also be modded for viewing DVDs and playing games on. I just like to have all the newest little gadgets and toys and that's probably the real reason I would like the navi.

Since I may want to also connect a DVD player or gaming system to play through the navi screen, how good are the BMW screens as far as quality, resolution, etc. go. I'm not sure if any of this is even possible with the 335 or if it will be using the existing navi system or upgrade to a new one, but any info is greatly appreciated.

I haven't decided upon the 335 100% yet, but it's one of my top choices and just about everything else I'm considering will have a stock navi.

Thanks!
1. Navi is available right now for build. It will take up to 6 weeks for delivery though.

2. BMW screen resolution is quiet good because it was designed to allow external TV source since day one. (even though the TV tuner option is not available in US).

3. 335i gets upgraded Navi with RTTI.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Bring It

The TL navi....acutally Acura/Honda navigation....is the BEST one out there. i've seen the ones in the euros and even Infiniti and Lexus. Honda by far has the easiest to use.

My friend has a new 330i sedan and i find that the navi is hard to use. Its more like the menu options and functionality thats hard to use. Maybe i've gotten comfortable with the one in my TL. Maybe it just takes practice.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by dezzzmond
The TL navi....acutally Acura/Honda navigation....is the BEST one out there. i've seen the ones in the euros and even Infiniti and Lexus. Honda by far has the easiest to use.

My friend has a new 330i sedan and i find that the navi is hard to use. Its more like the menu options and functionality thats hard to use. Maybe i've gotten comfortable with the one in my TL. Maybe it just takes practice.

Hope that made you feel better because it had nothing to really do with this thread.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Rod
Drifting

I think I may get it if it really was designed to allow an external video source and since it will have RTTI with a 4 year subscription included. I really did not want to start going with aftermarket items either, but it's always an option. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, compared to some other NAVS, namely the Japanese ones, the BMW NAV is a bit clumsy; however it is still a good unit, and I actually like iDrive, and best of all it comes with real time traffic now, which makes it a no brainer for me. I got a chance to use RTTI and despite the fact that it seemed a little gimmicky to me when I read about it it really impressed me. Both "problems" it told us about were real, and the detours it gave were very smart.

FWIW, 335's with NAV are available now. Of course if ordering you'll have to wait 6-8 weeks as mentioned, but that's the same with or without NAV.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rod
I think I may get it if it really was designed to allow an external video source and since it will have RTTI with a 4 year subscription included. I really did not want to start going with aftermarket items either, but it's always an option. Thanks for the feedback.
One thing i did not make it clear.

The monitor was designed to allow external source but that required BMW own TV tuner which you can't get retrofitted in U.S.

You will have to buy an aftermarket tuner and use a bypass switch (i.e toggle between I-drive screen, and after market tv tuner). The I-drive screen resolution is great. But you still need to get aftermarket tv tuner to input video source.