I HATE 66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nokiaman
Porsche. There is no substitute.
Word!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I still don't see this as being a weak tranny issue. There have been isolated incidents of tranny failure but nothing widespread (as far as I can tell, this number of failures is no more than that of any other car on the road). What makes it bad is Nissan's refusal of warranty claims. I'm sure there are tranny failures amongst all new cars; we just don't hear about them because A) they are covered under warranty and B) they are not as highly publicized a car as the GT-R. At any rate, I feel its premature to be running around saying the tranny is too weak for the engine. LC is pretty brutal on the tranny (try launching any 500+ hp car with no regard to the clutch 20+ times and see what happens)....
Old 10-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Ironically, now that I think about, when that GTR beet the Porsche on the Nurburging, I bet you the VDC was off.

Wonder if the tranny on that GTR was toast after that run too.
This thread is from 2006

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=399198

as for warranty issues all the rumors are false. you can do launch control as many times as you want in the US. ive done mine a lot. too many to count. and i talk to the service rep about it all the time like its nothing. i mean why would they put something on the car stock that would void warranty? go ahead and ask your dealer about launch control. thats acually how i found out about it, from the dealer.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Originally Posted by nokiaman
Porsche. There is no substitute.
X2
Old 10-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The guy that owns the GTR in the other forum sounds like kind of a douche...20 times of launch control...shit...he probably did it more than that, and also probably screwed up in the process of doing an LC.

excerts from Edmunds.com testing the J-spec version which is basically the same as the US version.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124017

What you likely haven't heard about is this: launch control. Despite its bold 3.5-second 0-60-mph claim, Nissan has been keeping this little bit of technological wizardry a secret. Test a GT-R in the homeland, however, and the need for confidentiality is quickly overwhelmed by the need for speed.

Controlling the Launch
Activating the Nissan GT-R's launch control is a matter of configuring its transmission, dynamics control and damping adjustments properly. The transmission and damping switches must both be set to the R mode and the VDC must be switched off completely by holding the VDC-R button down for a few seconds. Then it's just a matter of pinning the brake with your left foot and wooding the throttle with your right, not unlike the technique used to produce a tire-shredding burnout in that '85 Camaro you drove in high school.
but then they state on the next page...which others on this forum and the gtr forum have pointed out too. Knowing full well that launch control is extremely harsh when doing it a number of times just like any other AWD car that has gob loads of power.

Using launch control, the GT-R's launch procedure is virtually mindless and should prove perfectly consistent. However, it's likely hard on the drivetrain. Without launch control, the GT-R is still blazing fast and will likely never damage itself.
Obviously the testers of Edmunds aren't retarded when it comes to testing AWD cars. If the owner of the GT-R was doing LC's consistantly (which I'm sure he was) of course the transmission is going to break. I honestly don't know one AWD car on the market today that can hold so much horsepower and not break from doing repeated LCs.

I understand that there are always going to be instances with new cars where they are going to have bugs because it's the first year on the market. But the fact is, Nissan fullwillingly knew that there are going to be owners out there that are hardcore drivers and beat the GT-R to death: too bad for the next guy that breaks his GT-R because of LCs.

I couldn't imagine using launch control but maybe a couple of times if/when I was to go to the track. But that is hardly seldom so it doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is, the GT-R is definately an enthusiast's car, but an AWD car with almost 500hp.

I've seen plenty of modded/unmodded Evo's, WRX's, and other older/newer AWD cars at the track break(clutch, drivetrain, etc.) because of constant launch controls. It's going to happen.

Ask yourself this, if Subie and Mitsu found out that an owner was doing LCs constantly do you think they are going to fix the car for free? Maybe...maybe not.

from Wikipedia

The Magnussen Moss Warranty Act

Full Warranty Requirements
Under a full warranty, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with the written warranty, the warrantor:

must, as a minimum, remedy the consumer product within a reasonable time and without charge;

may not impose any limitation on the duration of any implied warranty on the product;

may not exclude or limit consequential damages for a breach of any written or implied warranty on the product, unless the exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty;

and if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts.

In addition, the warrantor may not impose any duty, other than notification, upon any consumer, as a condition of securing the repair of any consumer product that malfunctions, is defective, or does not conform to the written warranty. However, the warrantor may require consumers to return a defective item to its place of purchase for repair.
The owner of the car has no face in court because of this line in the act. He's screwed either way. He misused the car PERIOD.

...I revert what I said earlier in this thread after doing more researching.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NightHawk CL9
...what i believe is vital evidence is that this OP used LC at least 20 times...
^ and a week before he said that the car only had 2500 miles on it
In the warranty information book for the gtr it states that the warranty will not cover damage resulting from "Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow..." so the the ability to turn the VDC off is meant for rocking the car
So i'd say he's just SOL, cuz that's what he gets for launching an AWD car with that much power that many times prolly for no reason.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
why have a button to turn some shit off if you arent allowed to turn it off? who takes a fucking gt-r in the mud anyway... stupid japanese car... pshh

Old 10-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

:gheylaugh:
Old 10-10-2008, 10:27 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura

Old 10-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Old 10-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
A guy down the street just got one... silver... he drives a '84 300 zx... now its parked in the front yard and the GTR is sitting OUTSIDE the garage just like the Z was... honestly... if I was rolling one of those... I would at least clean out my garage so I could park my car inside....
Old 10-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
My son just texted me from the track about an hour ago to report that two GT-Rs there are posting fairly consistent upper 11s.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Nissan refuses to replace GT-R owner's busted transmission

Nissan refuses to replace GT-R owner's busted transmission

A member of the North American GT-R Owner's Club forums started a thread recently in which he tells about dropping off his Nissan GT-R at the dealership when he began hearing loud noises coming from the rear of the car. The dealership told him that his transmission was toast as a direct result of him turning off the car's VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) too much, which you have to do in order to use the Launch Control function. The cost to repair the tranny is $20,000 and Nissan won't cover it under warranty since the GT-R owner's manual states that damage to the transmission is not covered if it is proven to be the result of using Launch Control with the VDC turned off. In fact, the manual states that the only reason you should turn off VDC is for when you're rocking the vehicle because it's stuck in mud or snow. That's kind of like Nissan saying you should never use the Launch Control function despite the fact it's there.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I think this has been posted before.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
can we merge most of these GTR threads? I am getting sick of looking at a half dozen of them which are basically all about the same topics...
Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
merge dance
Old 10-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
seriously, merge all those GTR shit threads. sick of them.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:48 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
damn that sucks. 20 Grand??
Old 10-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
merge dance
I've done a preliminary merge of all the GT-R threads in the last few pages of Car Talk...should be enough for now.

Please post all talk of this vehicle in this thread going forward, folks...
Old 10-14-2008, 02:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Good call Yums!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:37 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

good one
Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Nissan GT-R documentary by National Geographic

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/21/v...al-geographic/

Does anyone have the link to the video? The autoblog one is not available. I already did a search, but I didn't find anything.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts
I hear this car is going to be featured in an episode of "Heroes"

Old 10-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ackack
nope E. Colonial Dr
whoa i know where that is!! near the 408 lol
Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 PM
now with 7 gears

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Video link

Originally Posted by vkick
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/21/v...al-geographic/

Does anyone have the link to the video? The autoblog one is not available. I already did a search, but I didn't find anything.
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/f4KhIHj3lSQ/
Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Saw one on the road for the first time yesterday. It was the dark grey color and I must say, it caught my eye... but not really impressed

Guess it's a different feeling if you're behind the wheel
Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I saw a dar gray one as well about 2 weeks ago. And the other day I saw another dark gray one on the highway. I was freaking out yelling OMG and my gf was like 'wtf'?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
The Amuse GT-R

Even after the 2009 Nissan GT-R was introduced, the public was still waiting for something more. First thing, they wanted to know how much horsepower it had. The second thing, they wanted to know how much more horsepower it could make.

Well, the Japanese tuners have stepped up to the challenge and PowerHouse Amuse has delivered its own version of the Nissan GT-R R35, the Phantom GT-R. Don't let the name fool you, though; it is not to be laughed at. With 600 horsepower on tap, the 2009 Nissan GT-R by PowerHouse Amuse can tear up the pavement like a track car. Not only is its performance ability unreal, the Phantom GT-R also sports carbon-fiber body pieces that look as if they came straight out of the Nismo catalog.

And the best thing is, the 2009 Nissan GT-R by PowerHouse Amuse leaves intact all the luxury features that Nissan has built into the car.

Massaging the Beast
Though the R35 version of the GT-R is deadly fast from the factory, the late Hideki Tanabe (sadly, he passed away in September 2008) of PowerHouse Amuse analyzed the parts that might be upgraded for higher performance. Tanabe had already proven PowerHouse Amuse's expertise with his Skyline GT-R R35 Carbon-R time-attack car and a Honda S2000GT1 that had been featured in Gran Turismo 4, so he knew what to do.

The first step was to get the new GT-R on the track, so Tanabe made the trip to Tsukuba Circuit, as every Japanese tuner must do. The factory suspension was deemed more than capable to get the job done, but for a little more composure in the corners the Amuse R1 adjustable suspension kit has been added. Adjustable ride height helps bring the car lower to the ground, and now it's easier to toss into the corners. The stock Dunlop SP 285/35R20 tires remain in place, as these are the fastest of the two tire choices that Nissan provides for the GT-R. (In fact, this was the tire brand used for the GT-R's quick time at the Nürburgring Nordschleife.)

More power was coerced from the twin-turbo VR38DETT V6 beast by totally replacing the exhaust system with a three-piece system, the R1 Titan Extra STTI. The system's 10 percent increase in diameter helps the monster motor breathe, and it also looks like a piece of art that Michelangelo might have welded up himself (too bad it has to be hidden beneath the body). Four massive exhaust tips finish off the system. Aside from the power increase, the titanium system reduces the weight of the exhaust plumbing to a skimpy 19.6 pounds from the factory system's 38.5 pounds.

Of course, just slapping on a free-flow exhaust won't get you optimum power. The Amuse Hitech ROM-HBL engine control unit takes full advantage of the R1 exhaust system and squeezes out every last bit of power available from the twin-turbo V6. It allows you to adjust SPL data, fuel, timing, throttle, VTC (variable valve timing) control, and then also raises the rpm limit to 7,200 rpm from 7,000 rpm. And just for fun, it disables the speed-limiting device mandated by the Japanese government.

During testing, Amuse noticed that once the boost was increased at high rpm, the stock ECU would lower the pressure. Instead the Amuse Hitech ROM-HBL maintains boost at 17.2 psi. This relatively simple combination of upgraded exhaust and recalibrated ECU produces 603 hp at 6,563 rpm and 571 pound-feet of torque at 5,270 rpm.

Phantom Good Looks
Since this is a track car, your attention is drawn right away to the Phantom GT-R's aerodynamic bits. The front aero splitter and the new rear wing are both fabricated from carbon-fiber by PowerHouse Amuse. A little extra downforce gives the GT-R more grip in the corners.

These bits look good enough to have come straight out of the Nismo catalog, and they're built well, too. Though the splitter looks like a spatula designed to flip pancakes at 200 mph, three grown men can stand on this carbon-fiber piece without breaking it.

The interior has been left mostly stock, so all the modern amenities are in place. At the same time, the stock seats have been swapped out in favor of a set of Recaro SP-As, while a removable steering wheel expedites entry and egress during track days.

Thanks to the new seats and exhaust system, the Phantom GT-R weighs 100 pounds less than the stock GT-R, something Dr. Atkins would appreciate.

Putting It Down
The combination of the R1 Titan exhaust, Hitech ROM-HBL tuning for the ECU and a 100-pound weight reduction produces smashing results. Tanabe's Phantom GT-R pulled a super-quick 59.061 seconds on the Tsukuba Circuit. Then it backed up this performance with a 1.49.807 lap at Fuji Speedway, earning this car the honor of the fastest lap yet recorded by a GT-R R35, despite its stock Dunlop tires.

These upgrades are priced at $20,000, more evidence that it isn't cheap to compress time. Of course, the 2009 Nissan GT-R by PowerHouse Amuse is still usable as a road car, since the audio system and other electronics remain in place. You just happen to get to your destination quicker than anyone else.

PowerHouse Amuse assures that the Phantom GT-R is not the ultimate GT-R R35. It's already working on an engine setup with bigger turbos.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 10-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I've seen this car in person a million times already. Loved it when I first saw it in Tokyo, but no longer excited about this car.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Ok, hands down, I can personally say the GT-R is an AMAZING car. I had the opportunity to drive my friend's GT-R. The power delivery, the handling, the steering response made my heart beat like no other. If there's anyway to down play my brand new M3, it was to drive a GT-R, haha. Some may not like the looks, the car definitely has a large body, but the powerplant in that thing is no joke, it delivers and it delivers well. The car's response is tight and a blast to drive. I felt the interior materials could have been better, however since its a race bred car, I can understand why its not cozy as some would like it to be. It definitely had a commanding presence on the road.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
That documentary is really interesting.

There's no doubt that this is an amazing car. My question is how did nissan manage to sell it for 70 grand? not including dealer markups, of course.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Four Door Coming...

TOKYO — Nissan's GT-R may seem born and bred as a two-door car, but in truth the model started out back in 1969 as a four-door and had a two-door version added the following year. So, in adding a four-door GT-R, Nissan is actually going back to its roots.

By adding the four-door, Nissan/Infiniti are hoping to tap into a wider customer base with a version of the supercar that offers more practicality, more luxury and better ride quality.

Also to try to recover costs on such an expensive project as the GT-R's R&D, one Nissan engineer has hinted that certain parts including the platform and underpinnings will be employed in "other models" and that its wheelbase will be stretched by 5.9 to 7.8 inches.

It was initially rumored to get a slightly downtuned version of the GT-R's 476-horsepower twin-turbo V6, but one source close to Nissan says the company is now leaning towards a slightly tuned-up version of the 5.0-liter V8 that powers the Infiniti FX50. In that guise, the four-door GT-R should develop around 420 hp. The seven-speed automatic gearbox mated to the FX's V8 will almost certainly migrate together with the 5.0-liter engine. Given that its main market will be the United States and that its main rivals will be the Porsche Panamera and the BMW M5, the V8 option makes sense.

Other technologies expected to find their way onto the four-door GT-R read like a pack of alphabet soup. They include TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system with four-corner readout), ABS with EBD (electronic brake-force distribution), TCS (traction control system) with VDC (vehicle dynamic control), LDW (lane departure warning that beeps); LDP (lane departure prevention through selective brake application); and ICC (intelligent cruise control) with DCA (distance control assist) that maintains following distances at speed, plus IBA (intelligent brake assist) that will bring the FX to a complete stop and then resume a selected speed automatically.

The four-door GT-R is expected to weigh around 4,080 pounds and cost in the neighborhood of $100,000. It's slated for a late-2010 debut.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=134407
Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
If anyone hasn't watched the national geographic documentary on the GT-R, you need to! It's very well constructed and interesting.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Yummmmm...

Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
^ @ wheels + titanium exhaust
Old 11-02-2008, 03:14 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Love the wheels, not feeling the exhaust
Old 11-02-2008, 04:06 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Since when tianum exhaust became rice thing?

wtf...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Talking Hitler Breaks his GT-R...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOAXJTTc__w&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOAXJTTc__w&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Yumchizzle made a
Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by v6cord2k5
Yumchizzle made a

Where's the original...?

Quick Reply: The Official Nissan GT-R Discussion Thread