The Official Nissan GT-R Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GalantT3
I believe this story because if you use launch control, your warranty is void. Nissan has great confidence in this vehicle.

http://www.fquick.com/blog/Launch_co...warranty_/2047

Nissan is full of Sh*t!!!!!
I wonder what "Performance Optimization Service" is? Is that the crazy expensive service some owners have mentioned Nissan is requiring them to perform?

In any event, regardless of which side you're on that page is pretty interesting from an automotive history stand point. I don't recall any car coming with a feature that is available and documented (VDC in this case), but prohibited.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Nissan FTL
Old 10-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Oh boy, this one is gonna blow up in Nissan's face. They need to do some SERIOUS damage control and quick. They'd better fire off letters or better yet; phone calls to all current owners and explain to them EXACTLY what the situation is.

Not only is it a terrible PR situation, I'm going to guess they don't have a warehouse full of spare GT-R transmission parts laying around either.

Hard to imagine why they delivered cars with that feature enabled, knowing full well that there are tons of drag monkeys in this country that would take those things to the strip before the plastic was even off the seats.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by West6MT
Nissan FTL
Porsche. There is no substitute.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
ummm. dayum.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Personally this wouldnt turn me off to the car. What reason would there be to turn off the VCD?

Doesnt race mode offer enough for the track? Launch control is great if you into drag racing.. which i am not.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:02 PM
hates the winter

Was never a fan of the car anyway. I figured it would have problems with all the power/features it has. It's a brand new model with new technology so this is what ya get.

At least the 2nd gen TL/CL trannies get replaced without question. lol

"Sorry, you drove the car with VSA off for too long"
Old 10-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
In fairness to Nissan this problem is yet to be widespread (and really has yet to be proven at all). Many, many journalists have beaten on GT-R's over the past year and none has reported any problems. I'm sure that all the major mags used LC ad nauseum during testing and I am unaware of any malfunctons. To say that the tranny is weak implies that using LC will DEFINITELY destroy the tranny but at this point all I've seen is some isolated incidents, none of which has much credibility yet. Lets not start ragging on the machine itself until we know more.

My gripe is with this fine print lawyer BS Nissan is pulling. Don't offer a feature you are not willing to guarantee. If they can get away with that whats to stop them from saying you can't turn the engine on or you void the warranty? Its just really weak....
Old 10-07-2008, 06:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
hmm. if it states it under the warranty, this is the own guys fault. fair is fair.

is wrong for nissan to have a feature like this? perhaps.
was the consumer aware of this before purchase? yes.
does nissan clearly state that warranty is void if you turn off this feature? absolutely.

it's tempting to turn it off but the owner has to use it at their own will.

thats like blaming big tobacco for getting cancer. the warning sign is right there on the pack.

be responsible for your actions.
I see where you are coming from - it's not like Nissan didn't have a warning. But the warning is not clear to see. What I mean is, how many drivers out there actually read their owner manuals? Out of the people that I know, none of them read theirs, unless something's wrong with their cars.

What Nissan could also do is put a sticker/label on the VDC button, saying something like, "disabling the VDC will voild your warranty." I mean, my Playstation 2 has something like that, my Playstation 3 has something like that, so that I don't do something stupid like taking them apart unless something is seriously wrong and/or the warranty is expired.

Nissan clearly states that the warranty is void if you turn the VDC off, but it fails to clearly SHOW this warning at the right location. Like you said, even tobacco companies put the big warning sign right where everyone can see, but again, Nissan chose not to do that. And I think the reason is pretty obvious.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
hmm. if it states it under the warranty, this is the own guys fault. fair is fair.

is wrong for nissan to have a feature like this? perhaps.
was the consumer aware of this before purchase? yes.
does nissan clearly state that warranty is void if you turn off this feature? absolutely.

it's tempting to turn it off but the owner has to use it at their own will.

thats like blaming big tobacco for getting cancer. the warning sign is right there on the pack.

be responsible for your actions.
Some what valid BUT why offer the easily accessible mode in the first place with the flip of a switch on the dash if its going to void warranty. It would be like acura saying your warranty is void if you use vtec. Why put it as an option.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Ugh. $20k to fix a POS manumatic.

Sure the guy probably beat the shit out of his car, but $20k is the most expensive tranny swap I've heard of for a Japanese car.

Honestly, why didn't they just release the R35 with a manual 6 speed? Would've probably driven down that $20k cost a bit.

IMO, the R34 > R35.

Nissan is making it impossible to mod the R35, which is retarded since GTRs have been the icon car that Tuners have wanted for years.

I'm an import guy, but I'd much rather look at Corvette than a R35; and it'd be a cold day in hell before I got a Corvette.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BraveDemon

I'm an import guy, but I'd much rather look at Corvette than a R35; and it'd be a cold day in hell before I got a Corvette.
Cheaper and easier to modify. And chevy wont void your warranty for driving it like it was meant to be.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

^

Chevy understands that the Corvette is an enthusiast car. Hell, I think Chevy dealers even offers modified engine parts!

I still don't get why you can't even put on Aftermarket Wheels on the GTR without all the sensors going bonkers! WTF NISSAN!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i guess GT-R now stands for glass tranny ready... if i buy a car with LC, i want to be able to use it... cars are meant to be driven...
Old 10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
if you use the car how its intended to, you cant use a feature thats factored into the price? (warranty)
Old 10-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Some what valid BUT why offer the easily accessible mode in the first place with the flip of a switch on the dash if its going to void warranty. It would be like acura saying your warranty is void if you use vtec. Why put it as an option.
Werd. I fail to understand why Nissan would make LC so easy to perform if it voids the warranty. If this was a known issue and could lead to transmission failure, why not eliminate the ability to switch off VDC completely? I mean on my 911 turning off PSM is as easy as pushing the bottom button on the right center console. Some yahoo could just hit the button by accident and that voids the warranty? WTF? It's an oxymoron to tout the performance virtues of the GTR and then punish owners who are shelling out upwards of 80 large for doing the same thing. It's still a performance car right?

Glad I didn't go with the GTR. Seems like more headache than it's worth
Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I see where you are coming from - it's not like Nissan didn't have a warning. But the warning is not clear to see. What I mean is, how many drivers out there actually read their owner manuals? Out of the people that I know, none of them read theirs, unless something's wrong with their cars.

What Nissan could also do is put a sticker/label on the VDC button, saying something like, "disabling the VDC will voild your warranty." I mean, my Playstation 2 has something like that, my Playstation 3 has something like that, so that I don't do something stupid like taking them apart unless something is seriously wrong and/or the warranty is expired.

Nissan clearly states that the warranty is void if you turn the VDC off, but it fails to clearly SHOW this warning at the right location. Like you said, even tobacco companies put the big warning sign right where everyone can see, but again, Nissan chose not to do that. And I think the reason is pretty obvious.

I am with you bro. I am so pissed off after looking at that link, don't know how owner feels like.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Cheaper and easier to modify. And chevy wont void your warranty for driving it like it was meant to be.
Vette FTW, there's no replacement for displacement.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 AM
Instructor

Man , if they build such a monster car why not put parts in it to stand the strain . More than once an american manufacturer has limited a car to only an automatic because they didn't have a manual able to take the beating .
Old 10-08-2008, 02:08 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Sucks. He should have a decent shot at getting it covered if Nissan placed the warning in an obscure paragraph or in much smaller print or didn't expressly tell him about that exception.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
seriously nissan is scandalous... great car, HORRIBLE customer service.... no matter how good the reviews are of this car, they did some scandalous shit releasing the gtr... gtr ftl
Old 10-08-2008, 04:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
That just sucks and shows you how arrogant Nissan is. At least with most Japanese maufacturers, they stand behind their product........
Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

yes. there are so many reasons as to why having something like this is bad business. i am thinking in terms of the OP fighting the case...not too much will stick in court if this is contractually bound.

the consequences of this feature are absurd. im sure nissan jumped through many hoops to have the contractual statements of warranty and reprecussions to be bulletproof.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 AM
is making xxx movies

at one point there was over 900 people reading that thread
Old 10-08-2008, 09:05 AM
2010 SHAWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Most of us should be very familiar with how he's feeling...

A weak ass transmission - check
A motor that's too strong for the transmission - check
A wack warranty that doesn't truly help you - check

Sounds like he's driving a 2003 Acura CL-S LMAO!

Seriously though, Nissan is going to be hurt by this and they deserve to be.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:23 AM
is making xxx movies

did anyone read the whole thread ? i heard from a friend that its more than 1 person that had the same problem. im going to read the whole thread now
Old 10-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sonnyboyacura
Most of us should be very familiar with how he's feeling...

A weak ass transmission - check
A motor that's too strong for the transmission - check
A wack warranty that doesn't truly help you - check

Sounds like he's driving a 2003 Acura CL-S LMAO!

Seriously though, Nissan is going to be hurt by this and they deserve to be.
That sux about the GTR, I guess it was too good to be true. I could still get along with not using LC as I am sure the acceleration without it would still be ridiculous. Although I'd probably avoid the car out of principle based on some of the restrictions I have read.

I would have to disagree with the warranty comparison with regards to the Acura trans, they replaced mine same day with no issues.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Safety Car

yeah, acura replaced mine same day...it worked until 1/4 mile down the street.

its okay. they replaced it a second time the day after. that one lasted 2 days.

on the 3rd try (4th transmission) one week later, they got it right. no biggie, they hooked it up with an enterprise GM loaner.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 10-08-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
This is my favorite post:
Originally Posted by DragonGTR
You take VDC off because it allows the car to be driven somewhat faster...When you dont have it on and lets say you floor it from a 1st gear roll...the tires spin. Which if traction control is on, the car shifts automatically for you, limiting power. Im sure this is done through retarding the timing. Usually that hows all traction control works

In a nut shell- the car is faster.
Do you REALLY REALLY need he car to be "somewhat faster" than it aleady is on the streets that you *MUST* drive with some of the safety features off?!?!?!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 AM
2010 SHAWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock2534
I would have to disagree with the warranty comparison with regards to the Acura trans, they replaced mine same day with no issues.
I wasn't saying that they were exactly the same. Just moreso that they suck. I am grateful that they replaced my transmission time and time again but I would have preferred to get a transmission that could handle the strain and not just refurbs.

Im just bitter, pay me no mind. I miss my CLS. lol
Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 AM
WAS HONDATAFIED IN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i read up to page 12. what i believe is vital evidence is that this OP used LC at least 20 times. Also in the US afaik, Nissan does not say the car has LC. there is no LC button, LC in the owners manual, LC mentioned anywhere, or that their 0-60 times are based off a car that was launched using LC.

From what i read, they require the owner to sign a disclosure form informing them that if VDC is off, it will void the warranty. however, apparently not all owners got that form before buying the car. Also, turning off VDC requires a 3 sec hold of the button (ala 335 DTC) but i believe that since the car does not officially have LC they cant say because LC was used warranty is denied, but they say if VDC is off it voids your warranty, since VDC is a required step in order to achieve the 'hidden' LC. im sure that the black box can tell the difference between VDC off and vdc off with LC initiated. I doubt just VDC being off will deny warranty claim.

im kinda siding with nissan from a legal standpoint, but with the crowd from a moral point of view. if your not allowed to use LC why have it in the car, its not a diagnostic tool, or a feature needed to be used by anyone at the dealer, it is there for the owner to launch the car. my 2 pennies...
Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

To continue the GT-R bashing, anyone seen this yet? It's from the GT-R maintenance schedule supposedly.

You do the math. This car is a money pit!!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Truthfully, if Nissan didn't want people to disable these features for fear that the vehicle will get damaged internally, they shouldn't give them the option to do so.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

what was nissan's reasoning behind turning the button off??

was the tranny prematurely produced? were the unable to make a tranny that would be able to handle this power??
Old 10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

^ +1

Exactly which brings me back to main point Nissan is full of sh*t.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GalantT3
To continue the GT-R bashing, anyone seen this yet? It's from the GT-R maintenance schedule supposedly.

You do the math. This car is a money pit!!!!

Nissan expects the tranny to break...
Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Shoofin
Truthfully, if Nissan didn't want people to disable these features for fear that the vehicle will get damaged internally, they shouldn't give them the option to do so.
Exactly. This falls on nissan and not the owners of the cars. The option shouldnt be there with the press of a few buttons if there is going to be a voided warranty.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Safety Car

my thoughts of the Nissan Corp's Roundtable:

Ok guys, our sales are drastically plummeting. When will we have our bread and butter halo GTR ready of production?

-We are not sure. The transmission is having difficulty carrying the projected horsepower and performance figures.

If we use this vehicle to maintain these numbers, and possibly break the Nurburging record, we will have a true halo car that will boost sales and re-enter nissan into this niche market. also, how much mark-up could we see our dying dealerships profit from this vehicle alone?

-Close to 2x sticker!

Ok, we must meet the projected performance numbers. How will we be able to have the car ready for the release-date?

-Use a default button that waters down performance for everyday use, while avoiding tranny issues. however, when the feature is engaged, the car could still theoretically accomplish the projected numbers. marketability and sales of the grand GTR will remain!!

Genius. have this drafted in the warrantee agreement to save our asses if buyers abuse this feature!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Ironically, now that I think about, when that GTR beet the Porsche on the Nurburging, I bet you the VDC was off.

Wonder if the tranny on that GTR was toast after that run too.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I could be wrong, but didn't one of the previous BMW M's have a condition that if you use the launch control a certain amount of times, the warranty was voided?? I believe it was the models with the SMG tranny.

Quick Reply: The Official Nissan GT-R Discussion Thread