Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
114 mpg mawfuckahhhhhh

Now for drop and slight stretch.

The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (01-11-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
sweet! my buddy has one that he modded the hell out of it. I had a lot of fun riding it.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone run Pirelli Diablo Rosso II on the bike? I have them at the shop now, waiting to be installed but endless rain every weekend kills me from putting them on.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I apologize for the lengthy post.

So I've been seriously considering getting a bike. I've been spending 2-3 hrs a day commuting ever since my wife and I stopped carpooling. I really need to get back on a vanpool, but parking the Integra at the vanpool spot is pointless because I'm certain it will get stolen. If I get a bike, I could take that too and from the vanpool spot and also finally have something to cruise around on.

Not sure what I want yet, but have been considering the Ninja 300 ABS, CBR250R ABS, CBR500R ABS, or CB500X ABS. Primarily these bikes because they are under $6.5K (price has yet to be announced for the 500X).

The only reason I would consider the 250 and 300 is because they are great starter bikes with low power; however, they are also cheap so the debate about buying used or new is a moot point IMO. And buying a new 500R/X vs a used 600 I feel is better because most of the 600cc bikes out there is a lot more bike than I need/want right now and tend to be more sportier in nature; whereas these bikes are more about commuting and cruising.

I'm also not worried about the buying used or new, because I'll probably have my Brother-in-laws CBR600F4I to practice on for a little bit before I take the plunge, just a matter of how much time I want to spend riding his bike before I decide if I will take the next step. I took his bike out for a spin this past weekend and wasn't a big fan of the position, but it was my first time, it may grow on me. The 600 seemed like it was a little too much power for me, I'm hoping the 500 will feel a bit more tame.

The 250/300 just isn't enough power for the freeway though which is why I'm considering the 500R. From what I've heard, it's a great starter bike, but isn't a full sport bike like the CBR600RR, which also double the price. This is good because the bike's limits will keep me in check and out of trouble, hopefully. My only quarrel with these bikes, except the 500X, is the riding position. Since I want to use this for commuting and cruising, the 500X appears to be the most comfortable, but guess I'll have to wait till I see them in the show room and get on one.

Key things that worry me the most are:

1) riding in the heat, from April to October I gotta worry about 80-105 degree weather.
2) affordability
3) maintenance (Are Honda bikes better than other brands?) I know absolutely NOTHING about maintaining a bike, but want to learn so that I can maintain it regularly.

What do you guys think? Is there anything else I should be worried about? I think getting ABS would be a plus for any of these bikes, but if I don't, it'll save me $500. Is it worth getting ABS?

For those unaware, I took the MSF training course a few years back and already have my M1 license. thinking about possibly taking the MSF course again as a refresher.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,449 Likes on 4,971 Posts
Why not save a bunch of money over new and buy a used sub-500cc bike? You can get a 500cc bike for $2-3k. Have you thought about something like the Ruckus too? Im not sure what your commute is like, but the Ruckus seems to be a great reliable little workhorse. If everything here wasn't highway, I'd get one to go to/from work.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
If you're using it for a commuter... AND it's your first bike... buy used. Get a Ninja 500R (aka 500EX) on the cheap and ride it forever. You can likely pick one up in great shape for half of what a new 250/300 will cost you. That way there's no worries about it getting beat up on your commute, no worries if you drop it (you will drop it... likely in your driveway by yourself... or getting gas... but you will), etc.

Very reliable, easy to work on, and cheap to maintain. You can ride it a few years and likely not lose too much money on it if you resell it down the road. That's what I did (learned to ride on a used Ninja 250) when I started out and recommend it to anyone who asks.

Good luck and be safe! And yes, I would take the course as a refresher since it was so long ago... but take it on your bike instead of theirs this time.
civicdrivr (02-06-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Why not save a bunch of money over new and buy a used sub-500cc bike? You can get a 500cc bike for $2-3k. Have you thought about something like the Ruckus too? Im not sure what your commute is like, but the Ruckus seems to be a great reliable little workhorse. If everything here wasn't highway, I'd get one to go to/from work.
Originally Posted by juniorbean
If you're using it for a commuter... AND it's your first bike... buy used. Get a Ninja 500R (aka 500EX) on the cheap and ride it forever. You can likely pick one up in great shape for half of what a new 250/300 will cost you. That way there's no worries about it getting beat up on your commute, no worries if you drop it (you will drop it... likely in your driveway by yourself... or getting gas... but you will), etc.

Very reliable, easy to work on, and cheap to maintain. You can ride it a few years and likely not lose too much money on it if you resell it down the road. That's what I did (learned to ride on a used Ninja 250) when I started out and recommend it to anyone who asks.

Good luck and be safe! And yes, I would take the course as a refresher since it was so long ago... but take it on your bike instead of theirs this time.
Sorry for the delay on responding, but to answer your questions. I don't want a 500cc+ bike. Used or not. Definitely not now, probably never. I don't need that much power. And after riding my brother-in-laws cbr600f4i, it's also a larger bike than what I want. I don't feel comfortable on a bike that size. I just want something that will help me save some money, but still enjoy riding. Don't get me wrong, the idea of buying a Ducati Monster someday is exciting, but I don't think I'll ever do it, let alone buy an R6.

The 250's are great starter bikes, but don't offer the juice needed to keep up on the freeways here in so cal from everyone that I have spoken to. I'm not planning on racing or anything like that, but when the cbr250 tops out at around the high 70's you don't have much room to work with when it comes to acceleration at the top end and I don't want to be caught in a situation when I need to accelerate and can't.

So although buying used is a good fit for most riders out there, buying a 250 to fit what my commuting needs are right now doesn't work. And with not that many 300's being sold used at the present time, I think I'm going to stick with getting the Ninja 300 after reading many great reviews about the bike and after reading up about them on the forums. Other than the CBR250 fanboys hating on the bikes in the forums, I haven't heard anything negative about the bike and if it all plays out as I plan, will be a bike that I keep for a very long time. For my body frame, it's the perfect size bike and is much lighter than all of the 600cc bikes I've looked at which will be good for me in terms of improving my handling skills.

Nothing is etched in stone yet. I'm going to be making the final decision this week to buy it or not. Maybe as early as tomorrow, but I still gotta get a helmet, jacket and gloves. I have some picked out, just need to pull the trigger.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
I'm not a biker but wouldn't a $2k Civic be safer and more practical as a drive to and from the lot than the bike?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by charliemike
I'm not a biker but wouldn't a $2k Civic be safer and more practical as a drive to and from the lot than the bike?
It is a very good alternative, and civics are plentiful. They would be cheap to insure, but could easily become expensive to maintain later down the road compared to a bike IMO unless I get lucky and find a granny that never modified their civic, which is rare here in L.A. The bike also will always beat out any car in terms of gas mileage and requires fewer oil changes. I'm open to listening to alternatives, trying to avoid something that could cause more expensive maintenance and hopefully have a little bit of fun for a few minutes out of my 9-10 hr workdays and 2-3 hour commutes. Again, whatever vehicle I go with, will primarily be used to get from home to my vanpool spot, an 18 mile trip each way. At least with the bike, I will also have something I can enjoy on the weekends from time to time.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Sorry for the delay on responding, but to answer your questions. I don't want a 500cc+ bike. Used or not. Definitely not now, probably never. I don't need that much power. And after riding my brother-in-laws cbr600f4i, it's also a larger bike than what I want. I don't feel comfortable on a bike that size. I just want something that will help me save some money, but still enjoy riding. Don't get me wrong, the idea of buying a Ducati Monster someday is exciting, but I don't think I'll ever do it, let alone buy an R6.
FYI, not sure if you've ever sat on/rode or read much about the Ninja 500 (EX500), but it's not a "real" Ninja. It's basically a Ninja 250 with slightly more power to get out of harms way if needed... and can be used on freeways. It's nothing like any of the other bikes you mentioned (R6, CBR600, etc). Honestly, the new Ninja 300 may even be quicker then a pre-owned EX500. It is also a beginners bike, typically mentioned in the same breath as the baby Ninja.

Another bike to consider is the SV650. Awesome bike, not powered like the crotch-rockets you mentioned, and something you can ride for a very, very long time.

Don't get hung up on the CC listing in a bike's name... b/c sometimes, it doesn't mean much. An SV650 couldn't hold a candle to a CBR600. Sure, the SV looks more intimidating b/c it has 50 more CC in its name... but it may as well be an SV400 with the power curve and gearing it has.

I'd hate to see you miss out on so many other good options just b/c of the number they list in their model name...
The following 2 users liked this post by juniorbean:
civicdrivr (03-19-2013), Sly Raskal (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
FYI, not sure if you've ever sat on/rode or read much about the Ninja 500 (EX500), but it's not a "real" Ninja. It's basically a Ninja 250 with slightly more power to get out of harms way if needed... and can be used on freeways. It's nothing like any of the other bikes you mentioned (R6, CBR600, etc). Honestly, the new Ninja 300 may even be quicker then a pre-owned EX500. It is also a beginners bike, typically mentioned in the same breath as the baby Ninja.

Another bike to consider is the SV650. Awesome bike, not powered like the crotch-rockets you mentioned, and something you can ride for a very, very long time.

Don't get hung up on the CC listing in a bike's name... b/c sometimes, it doesn't mean much. An SV650 couldn't hold a candle to a CBR600. Sure, the SV looks more intimidating b/c it has 50 more CC in its name... but it may as well be an SV400 with the power curve and gearing it has.

I'd hate to see you miss out on so many other good options just b/c of the number they list in their model name...

juniorbean is right. You should not look at just the name, but look at the whole bike. What makes bikes like the R6 and CBR600 powerful is the inline four engine, which sacrifices torque on the low end for higher redlines and a lot of top end power. They do not necessarily make great commuter bikes because of this peaky nature.

Instead, you might want to look at something with a 650cc-range twin. They produce more torque down low and make commuting much easier because the extra torque allows you to lug it around without constantly needing to change gears. The SV650 he mentioned as well as the Ninja 650R are both bikes that can be had for relatively cheap these days, are classified as standard bikes by most insurance companies (thus avoiding the expensive sport bike insurance premium), are nearly impossible to kill (ask me how I know), and are friendly enough for a beginner, but a big enough bike that you will not grow bored with it quickly. Plus, once you get more comfortable with riding, both bikes are extremely easy to mod to raise the performance envelope, especially on the handling side, to further your enjoyment of them. And, of course, they end up costing about the same as the current crop of brand new 250cc and 300cc bikes if you buy a lightly used one.

And since you are in CA, I wanted to point out that lane-splitting is an accepted practice, so getting a bike, especially since you are in the Fontana area, which can get a bit congested because of the I-10, will have that added advantage of cutting down your commute time. Once you get comfortable, the ability to lane-split and filter will also help reduce your anxiety about the warmer summer temperatures since you will at least be able to keep moving and keep the air flowing.

Good luck with your decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by CGTSX2004:
juniorbean (03-19-2013), Sly Raskal (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM

x1 trillion on what JB said. My 650cc would probably have a hard time keeping up with the Ninja 300

500cc bikes, as JB said, are just slightly more powerful 250s. They get decent gas mileage too.

On another note - over the past few days Ive really started to miss my Daytona
Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Team Owner

I think I may have not described what I'm looking for properly. It's the physical size of the bike that is also a big deterrent for me when i've looked at the larger 600+ class bikes. I took a look at the curb weights (wet) of my bro-in-laws F4I and the Ninja 500 and they are both about 60 lbs heavier than the 300. And not to mention, when I sat on a bike of this size, they feel bulky and uncomfortable to me compared to the 300. When I rode my bro-in-laws F4I last month, I didn't feel comfortable on it and from what others have told me the F4I and the Ninja 500 and 650R will be comparable to it.

Has weight and/or comfort been a deciding factor for any of you in deciding which bike to purchase? I'm not being sarcastic about this, but it just sounds like I'm trying to get a smaller bike, in displacement, weight and overall size, but every one I have spoken to on and offline, says I should get a bike that is physically larger than what I know I want.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
x1 trillion on what JB said. My 650cc would probably have a hard time keeping up with the Ninja 300

500cc bikes, as JB said, are just slightly more powerful 250s. They get decent gas mileage too.

On another note - over the past few days Ive really started to miss my Daytona
My bro-in-law is actually looking at buying a new Daytona later this year. I think he's nuts. LOL
Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM

I think I may have not described what I'm looking for properly. It's the physical size of the bike that is also a big deterrent for me when i've looked at the larger 600+ class bikes. I took a look at the curb weights (wet) of my bro-in-laws F4I and the Ninja 500 and they are both about 60 lbs heavier than the 300. And not to mention, when I sat on a bike of this size, they feel bulky and uncomfortable to me compared to the 300. When I rode my bro-in-laws F4I last month, I didn't feel comfortable on it and from what others have told me the F4I and the Ninja 500 and 650R will be comparable to it.

Has weight and/or comfort been a deciding factor for any of you in deciding which bike to purchase? I'm not being sarcastic about this, but it just sounds like I'm trying to get a smaller bike, in displacement, weight and overall size, but every one I have spoken to on and offline, says I should get a bike that is physically larger than what I know I want.
If youre not comfortable on the bike, don't get it. When you're comfortable, you can ride at your best.
Sly Raskal (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Absolutely weight and comfort are factors. I made a point of trying out the fit on a few bikes before I made the purchase of my first bike, which was a Ninja 650R. Honestly, if you are concerned about being comfortable handling a bike, then maybe the smaller 250cc to 300cc bikes are a better fit for your need.

That said, it is entirely possible that part of your discomfort with the larger bikes is that you are not entirely comfortable with riding just yet, so start out on what you feel comfortable with. Keep in mind that a bike like the CBR600 F4i is still a very sporty bike by comparison and is going to feel unwieldy by comparison due to the narrow positioning of the grips. Bikes like the CBR 250 and Ninja 300 will feel more comforting to a new rider in part because the bars are wider and offer better leverage so you feel more in control.

Everyone is different in terms of how they adapt to riding. Some people take to it quickly and throw themselves into it with no fear. Others are tentative and need time and experience to grow into it. Whatever the case, you should absolutely do what is best for you because more important than anything else is to be comfortable and safe.
Sly Raskal (03-19-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Agree with the above. I started on a 2 year old Ninja 250 and rode it for just over a year. Got really good on it too... and was able to outride some people on bigger bikes. But after a while, it just felt like a glorified scooter, and I upgraded to the Aprilia Tuono. Had I sat on that bike first, I probably would have never gotten my license! It looks and feels intimidating... but once you're comfortable on a bike, it will not.

And I'm with you on weight. I'm a little shit. But as long as I can get the bike off of the stand... I'm good. So maybe start on a 250 and get comfortable... then upgrade to a Ninja 500/650 or SV650 in a year or so.

I sold my Ducati 848 last year and will likely pick up either a Triumph 675 or SV650 as something to ride locally. Don't need a super big/super fast bike. Just something fun that I can customize a tad, and enjoy riding effortlessly.
Sly Raskal (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 AM

Received 5,547 Likes on 3,784 Posts
From what I've been reading, it sounds like a Ninja 300 would fit the bill pretty well for you, as long as you're comfortable on it.

More power than the 250, fuel injected & excellent MPG. If my wife wasn't completely opposed to me having a motorcycle (until our kid(s) are older) I'd be on a 300, or a used BMW K75S or R1100S.
Sly Raskal (03-20-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

Picking her up in a couple hours ... Nervous and excited at the same time.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Congrats!!!!

A great choice!

I know a lot of thought went into your purchase. Well done!

Welcome to the riders world.

Remember: Rubber side down, shiny side up!
Sly Raskal (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Is that white or silver, or a pearl white?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

Congrats!!!!

A great choice!

I know a lot of thought went into your purchase. Well done!

Welcome to the riders world.

Remember: Rubber side down, shiny side up!
Thanks dude. Yea, been racking my brain back and forth about this for a couple months now, but didn't really get serious about it up until the last two weeks. Can't wait to hit the road.

Nervous about the break-in period a little though since it's my first bike and it's new. After reading a lot of different perspectives on break-in methods. I'm going to take a hybrid approach based on the two predominant methods that I've read others do which are, ride it like you are going to be riding it, or baby it. Instead, I'm going to take it easy for the first 100miles, keeping the revs below 4-6K, no redlining. Then every 100 miles after that slowly start giving it more juice and taking the revs higher. All the while, always going through the powerband to vary the speed to help the rings seat properly and since I'm a newb, get a feel for the bike and get ease into it as I go along.

Probably going to do an extra oil change at 300 mi just to get rid of the first batch of oil which will probably have metal shavings in it to help it out just a little. Probably a little over kill, but a small price to pay to [hopefully] increase the longevity of the bike.

What I was surprised about is the guy at the service counter said not to run Synthetic in for a while until the bike has really been broken in; whereas most guys run synthetic immediately after the break-in period. He said something about the clutch lines using the same oil as the motor and that the synthetic oil doesn't coat as well as the conventional oil does so it doesn't break-in properly. Any truth to that?

Any oil you guys recommend for the break-in period and for afterwards if I go synthetic?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

Is that white or silver, or a pearl white?
Pearl Stardust White....

Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Team Owner

As for gear, I went with a Shoei RF-1100 Chroma TC-1 Helmet...

and an Alpinestars Textile Jacket...

Old 03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

Also, they told me that because they have been selling so many White Ninja 300's that they aren't going to be selling anymore under the Costco program. Don't know if there is any truth to that or they were just trying to make me feel better about my purchase.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Pearl Stardust White....

Love that color combo!

Get some pics of it next to your Avant.
Sly Raskal (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

Love that color combo!

Get some pics of it next to your Avant.
Thanks. I don't know if I will ever own a vehicle that is not white. Simple, sporty and classy all wrapped in one. White is the hottest color combo for this bike, it's been selling out like crazy. I have the rear seat cowl already on order, but it's going to take a long while because they are back-ordered. They didn't anticipate such a huge demand for the white model.

Avant is filthy right now, but I most definitely want to take pics of the two together.

Going to pick her up in a few minutes.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Pearl Stardust White....

That's a sweet looking bike!

The ninja 250 that I started out on was straight out of the 80s...square head lamps and all
Sly Raskal (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Thanks. I don't know if I will ever own a vehicle that is not white. Simple, sporty and classy all wrapped in one. White is the hottest color combo for this bike, it's been selling out like crazy. I have the rear seat cowl already on order, but it's going to take a long while because they are back-ordered. They didn't anticipate such a huge demand for the white model.

Avant is filthy right now, but I most definitely want to take pics of the two together.

Going to pick her up in a few minutes.
Enjoy the ride home.

First rides home are always cool.
Sly Raskal (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Thanks dude. Yea, been racking my brain back and forth about this for a couple months now, but didn't really get serious about it up until the last two weeks. Can't wait to hit the road.

Nervous about the break-in period a little though since it's my first bike and it's new. After reading a lot of different perspectives on break-in methods. I'm going to take a hybrid approach based on the two predominant methods that I've read others do which are, ride it like you are going to be riding it, or baby it. Instead, I'm going to take it easy for the first 100miles, keeping the revs below 4-6K, no redlining. Then every 100 miles after that slowly start giving it more juice and taking the revs higher. All the while, always going through the powerband to vary the speed to help the rings seat properly and since I'm a newb, get a feel for the bike and get ease into it as I go along.

Manufacturer recommends first service at 1K, going to do it at 600mi instead after reading what so many others have done. And probably going to do an extra oil change at 300 just to get rid of the first batch of oil which will probably have metal shavings in it to help it out just a little. Probably a little over kill, but a small price to pay to [hopefully] increase the longevity of the bike.

What I was surprised about is the guy at the service counter said not to run Synthetic in for a while until the bike has really been broken in; whereas most guys run synthetic immediately after the break-in period. He said something about the clutch lines using the same oil as the motor and that the synthetic oil doesn't coat as well as the conventional oil does so it doesn't break-in properly. Any truth to that?

Any oil you guys recommend for the break-in period and for afterwards if I go synthetic?
On my bikes I've always gone with the factory recommended oil.
Never had an issues, and the bikes ran well with no major issues.
Sly Raskal (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Team Owner

So made it home in one piece. Had a couple close calls. One was during downshifting. Went down too many gears and let the clutch out. Luckily it was at low speed, but I felt the rear come out a little bit. Second was while turning, should have been pressing more. Stuff that will get better with practice, but boy do I have a lot to learn. Something as simple as turning is really complicated when you're new. But the ride home was fun, tried to avoid congested areas as much as I could because like a newb, I stalled twice. Once it was because I thought I was in first, but must have been in second or third. Wish I had a gear indicator on the bike, that would solve that issue.

Oh and the ride home was only 12 miles, but my hands hurt.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

So made it home in one piece. Had a couple close calls. One was during downshifting. Went down too many gears and let the clutch out. Luckily it was at low speed, but I felt the rear come out a little bit. Second was while turning, should have been pressing more. Stuff that will get better with practice, but boy do I have a lot to learn. Something as simple as turning is really complicated when you're new. But the ride home was fun, tried to avoid congested areas as much as I could because like a newb, I stalled twice. Once it was because I thought I was in first, but must have been in second or third. Wish I had a gear indicator on the bike, that would solve that issue.

Oh and the ride home was only 12 miles, but my hands hurt.
Glad you made it home in one piece.
@ two "close calls"....be careful!

Riding always demands a lot more attention that driving, as you well know, and will continue to see, as evidenced by your ride today.
....nothing that many of us haven't experienced. :wink:

Clearly you need more power if you cannot take off from a dead stop in 3rd gear!

Hopefully your hands hurt from gripping too tight (out of being nervous), and not from riding position. If it continues, and it's not from gripping too tightly, you might want to purchase some risers for your bars to help get you into a more upright position.
Sly Raskal (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Team Owner

Hopefully your hands hurt from gripping too tight (out of being nervous), and not from riding position. If it continues, and it's not from gripping too tightly, you might want to purchase some risers for your bars to help get you into a more upright position.
The fact that the gloves aren't broken in yet I believe to be what contributed the most to my hands hurting.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
The fact that the gloves aren't broken in yet I believe to be what contributed the most to my hands hurting.
Naa, it was you gripping the bars too tight. It happens to every new rider. I know this is going to sound counter-intuitive but relax.

Congratulations. You picked a great bike! I don't really have any advice that others did not already offer. Enjoy.
The following 2 users liked this post by knight rider:
civicdrivr (03-22-2013), Sly Raskal (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 PM

Looks great! Ride it in good health!
Sly Raskal (03-22-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Received a few minor mods in the mail today for the bike...

Arrow White is going into the low-beam, Plasma Ion Yellow is going into the hi-beam. Race Stand stoppers will come in handy in the next few weeks if I get enough miles to do the first oil change.

Clear Lamin-X for the headlights will be arriving on Monday as well.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
Get frame sliders. Pronto.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-13-Kawasaki-Ninja-300-300R-Shogun-No-Cut-Frame-Sliders-/300872928733?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460d6c8ddd&vxp=mtr
These are pretty expensive for frame sliders, but they are more than worth it if you tip over or lay down your bike.

Last edited by knight rider; 03-23-2013 at 05:39 PM.
civicdrivr (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by knight rider
Get frame sliders. Pronto.
2013 13 Kawasaki Ninja 300 300R Shogun No Cut Frame Sliders | eBay

These are pretty expensive for frame sliders, but they are more than worth it if you tip over or lay down your bike.
Been thinking about getting a set. I wish Kawi made a set that didn't require drilling the fairings. At least there are aftermarket options that don't require drilling. Started with the lighting upgrades because it was a relatively cheap way to hopefully get others to notice me more to avoid getting run over.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow... you dove right in huh? Brand new bike and high end gear. Good for you!

Bike looks awesome. If I were you, I'd head to the nearest empty parking lot and start practicing now. Do some hard braking, lock up the rear, etc. Best to get the feeling of these actions in an empty lot then out on the road. Especially since you mentioned two close calls just on the way home. That says to me you need to get off the street and spend a couple hours getting comfortable on the new bike. I've been riding on and off for 6 years and don't think I've had two close calls like that total... so you will feel much better when you get more comfortable. Before I even registered my bike I did this with a friend. He setup cones for me had me do emergency braking, emergency maneuvers, etc... and it made a huge difference. I felt so much better on the bike after that since I knew what it could and couldn't do... and how it would feel in certain situations.

Oh yeah, and definitely get frame sliders ASAP. You will drop the bike at some point... better to have it protected... especially since it's brand new.

Good luck with the new bike... ride safe, and like Moog said... keep the rubber side down!!
Sly Raskal (04-06-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 5,547 Likes on 3,784 Posts
Looking forward to a review as you get miles on it.
If I were to buy a new bike today, this would have been it.
Congrats!
Sly Raskal (04-06-2013)

Quick Reply: The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread