Nissan Loses Its Relevance to Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
Its still a hyundai.

I used to drive a accent, biggest piece of shit I ever bought for 500 bucks, and it only had 62k miles.

Will never buy another hyundai....ever

I'll stick with the jap cars, if anything I will buy a 90's car and try to keep it as long as possible. Best years for Japanese car makers if any I personally believe.
so because of one bad "500" dollar car you will never buy another hyundai :
Old 12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I can go out and buy a $500 Civic or a Corolla today. Let's see how that turns out. I wonder just what kind of top-notch Honda or Toyota $500 could possibly get me.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I can go out and buy a $500 Civic or a Corolla today. Let's see how that turns out. I wonder just what kind of top-notch Honda or Toyota $500 could possibly get me.
Oh oh oh, i know! One that will make you say i will never buy any thing but
Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Its still a hyundai.

I used to drive a accent, biggest piece of shit I ever bought for 500 bucks, and it only had 62k miles.

Will never buy another hyundai....ever

I'll stick with the jap cars, if anything I will buy a 90's car and try to keep it as long as possible. Best years for Japanese car makers if any I personally believe.
Whatever, man. So many people buy these cars because they're cheap and because they're so cheap, they don't even bother to do the most basic of maintenance. It doesn't matter what it is, if you don't take care of it, the damn thing will eventually self-destruct.

And before you go ragging on Hyundai and pledging loyalty to the "Japs", think about this. My Hyundai has 132,000 miles on it and has had NO problems at all. My mom's Lexus has 107,000 miles and just dropped the transmission. Combine that with their recent unintended acceleration problems and quality on the slide, I would buy a Genesis ten times over before I even darkened a Lexus showroom.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What Hyundai model do you have ^^^^^
Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Santa Fe....late 2004 build.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my friend's 2003 sonata has less creaking and rattling noises than my 2005 tsx.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:00 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Its still a hyundai.

HAHAHHA...if you bought a $500 BMW/M-B/Chevy...doesn't matter it's going to be a piece of crap at $500.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ok, so going back on topic...

This thread is being based on ONE month of sales figures. I still dont' see ANYTHING that is suggesting what the OP has stated, that nissan has lost its relevance or take anything from the article suggesting that nissan doesn't matter anymore.

All I see is Hyundai doing well in a slow economy and coming into its own. There is nothing suggesting any brand "losing relevance" or "not mattering".

Why people have to blow things out of proportion and make absurd inferences from an article, or one month of sales figures, or what someone else says or whatever is beyond me.

Last edited by mrdeeno; 12-09-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, why are all of you guys arguing over Hyundai and the other Japanese auto manufacturers. We all need to stick together because its all one reason why we never bought American. That's because American is crappy and we chose to get imports. Either ur hyundai or Jap, ur still import which is good.

Secondly, let's be real. Hyundai might not be a POS now, but it definately was a POS back in the day. I'm not saying Hyundai isn't good now, its hyundai left a bad taste in peoples mouth over time and people don't wanna be let down. Its like being lied to. Its hard to regain someone's trust. Its hard for people to regain the trust with hyundai, so that will always hurt them.

Third, you guys must be smokin crack if you say hyundai is better than toyota, nissan, or honda. Just ask urself this. How many older Hyundai do u see on the road? Like NONE. How many older Nissans do u see on the road, like a bunch. I see more 94-99 generation maxima than their newer years, the same is said about the altima for that year. Honda is the same because all you see is older accords and civics still goin strong from the early 90s. Toyota is the same thing too, old 93 camrys and corollas. U don't see any older hyundai on the road, so be serious.

Hyundai might be at the same quality as toyota, nissan, and honda NOW, but ppl are scared to take that chance again for a car that was a POS.

In my opinion, the best luxary brands in terms of reliability goes as number 1 being acura, 2 being lexus, and 3 being infiniti. You STILL see acura legends, integras (not really luxary but lol) and even a few vigors man that still go strong. You find a few older lexus models but honestly, u really don't see any older J30s or M30s or older Q45s like that. As of right now, the tables have turned. People are after what looks good and not in tuned with reliability like that. I think lexus is crushing the jap luxary game. They sell a lot and infiniti comes in second place. Acura fell off because they still haven't made the RL a big body car to compete with the LS class or the M45. Plus, acura hasn't even made a V8 powered car and stepped away with offering a coupe like the G37 or the SC430.

Hyundai will never compete with the jap brands though because the jap luxary brands have an established name. Ur not gonna go to a hole in the wall carry out spot to get ur food when u kno mcdonalds will offer u what you've been getting. When it comes to a big investment like a car, u can't do that.

Hyundai might be good now, and consumer reports states that they are getting better, but its a uphill battle for hyundai to get business. Instead of hyundai worrying about one competition, they got several. Jap, euro, and american.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BigAl3000
First, why are all of you guys arguing over Hyundai and the other Japanese auto manufacturers. We all need to stick together because its all one reason why we never bought American. That's because American is crappy and we chose to get imports. Either ur hyundai or Jap, ur still import which is good.

Secondly, let's be real. Hyundai might not be a POS now, but it definately was a POS back in the day. I'm not saying Hyundai isn't good now, its hyundai left a bad taste in peoples mouth over time and people don't wanna be let down. Its like being lied to. Its hard to regain someone's trust. Its hard for people to regain the trust with hyundai, so that will always hurt them.

Third, you guys must be smokin crack if you say hyundai is better than toyota, nissan, or honda. Just ask urself this. How many older Hyundai do u see on the road? Like NONE. How many older Nissans do u see on the road, like a bunch. I see more 94-99 generation maxima than their newer years, the same is said about the altima for that year. Honda is the same because all you see is older accords and civics still goin strong from the early 90s. Toyota is the same thing too, old 93 camrys and corollas. U don't see any older hyundai on the road, so be serious.

Hyundai might be at the same quality as toyota, nissan, and honda NOW, but ppl are scared to take that chance again for a car that was a POS.

In my opinion, the best luxary brands in terms of reliability goes as number 1 being acura, 2 being lexus, and 3 being infiniti. You STILL see acura legends, integras (not really luxary but lol) and even a few vigors man that still go strong. You find a few older lexus models but honestly, u really don't see any older J30s or M30s or older Q45s like that. As of right now, the tables have turned. People are after what looks good and not in tuned with reliability like that. I think lexus is crushing the jap luxary game. They sell a lot and infiniti comes in second place. Acura fell off because they still haven't made the RL a big body car to compete with the LS class or the M45. Plus, acura hasn't even made a V8 powered car and stepped away with offering a coupe like the G37 or the SC430.

Hyundai will never compete with the jap brands though because the jap luxary brands have an established name. Ur not gonna go to a hole in the wall carry out spot to get ur food when u kno mcdonalds will offer u what you've been getting. When it comes to a big investment like a car, u can't do that.

Hyundai might be good now, and consumer reports states that they are getting better, but its a uphill battle for hyundai to get business. Instead of hyundai worrying about one competition, they got several. Jap, euro, and american.
I think its you that is smokin the crack.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Umm...yeah, lay off the there, chief. And um, I go to a little hole in the wall local joint for my sub sandwiches. Cheaper, better tasting than Subway, I know what I'm getting and I'm supporting local business. Not to mention I haven't gotten food poisoning from the local place, which I did from Subway.

And in case you're unaware, the Japanese didn't come into this country with a great reputation. They were ridiculed and derided and had to work hard to get where they are today...kind of how Hyundai started and where they are headed. You say Hyundai has to worry about the Japanese, European and American car companies; you got it wrong. Hyundai has Toyota and Honda biting their nails off. Even Toyota said, "We cannot and will not compete with Hyundai on price."

Last edited by PortlandRL; 12-13-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAl3000
You got us figured out all wrong. We give credit where credit is due, whether it be Japanese, Korean, American, European, etc. Most of us here do not really have a biased allegiance to a certain brand or a region.

Time heals all wounds. It did for the Japanese.

Sale volumes directly equate to examples, meaning that since those companies you mentioned simply sold a lot more in the past, naturally you see more of them on the road today. But there are always trends in sales, and they are always shifting.

Not according to the consumers who contributed to 40%+ sales increase for Hyundai this year.

Again, numbers. Infinity didn't really sell in big volumes in the past. That's why you don't see a whole lot of the J, Q and M. Even today, they are not big volume sellers. If everybody sold an equal number of cars, then your argument would stand. But you are omitting a big variable - original sales volumes.

Crack, crack and more crack. Horrible analogy, too.

Stop saying Jap. It's a derogatory reference to the Japanese.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 982 Likes on 530 Posts

PureAD: Still bringing sense to the masses. And for the crack smoker (with bad grammar), most people on here owned an Acura at one time or another, but most on this part of the board (car talk) own other cars, from all different brands / regions. We like what we drive and comment accordingly.

Plus the "Jap" terminology went out in the 50's. Well before your time.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Advanced

I'm not someone who disregards that hole in the wall restaurant. I speak for how the majority of people think. People base things off of majority. Ur not gonna tell me u would choose a Dynex or Insignia television over a Sony or Samsung because u wouldn't. That's why the american automakers are struggling because they put out a lot of vehicles that didn't hold up and people choose to buy foreign cars because they do well.

A lot of people buy cars because they don't want something they have to get fixed frequently or have breakdown like the american cars.

Pretty much, it all boils down to it and u get what you buy. On the seriousness though, I had a friend with a 08 Tuscon and the interior was very cheap. The freakin exterior was cheap as well because u could just brush up against the door a lil and make a noticeable dent. Hyundai needs to be made of better quality if they want to keep up sales.

Hyundai can continue to sale their vehicles for cheap. Thas good for them now because we've been in a ressession for awhile and ppl will do what they have to do in order to save money. Ppl will buy cheap and worry about the concequenses later instead of investing and be worry free.

I'm not completely eliminating hyundai chances because their numbers are looking good. The Sonata is nice and the veracruz is chill. People are smart and when they do their research on past models, they will determine what to buy.

Oh and sorry. I was on my blackberry and kept using "jap" for short instead of typing japanese.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I still think that the original premise of this thread is ridiculous. Hyundai did make crap back in the eighties and early nineties but that means nothing now because they are an established car maker now. Get over it. That being said, to say that Nissan has lost its relevance to Hyundai is ignorant. Nissan still outsells Hyundai 2 to 1. THey are both great companies on a roll in my book (Toyota is who should be a little concerned)....
Old 12-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I don't know what to say, except post #90 is funny as hell.

It's like trying to sift for a diamond in a cesspool. Not happening.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
so because of one bad "500" dollar car you will never buy another hyundai :
bought a 585 dollar 1991 honda civic after that, it had 222067 miles on it and it drove better than a hyundai accent, when hyundai has better build quality ill buy one but until then, ill wait for hell to freeze.

And ironically my cousin just bought a 2009 Accent, doesn't look to shabby, little small to me, I rather have the genesis.

If I bought another hyundai it would be the genesis coupe, 2.0 turbo it reminds me of a G35.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by F23A4
Sounds like the story of the Mazda Millenia.
Ah yes, the stillborn Amati luxury brand.....note the use of all the letters of "Miata"
Old 12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Instructor

And ironically my cousin just bought a 2009 Accent, doesn't look to shabby, little small to me, I rather have the genesis.
From the "duh" department! Kinda like "I rented an Aveo, built OK but kinda small, yeah I'd rather have a Tahoe"