View Poll Results: new DD or mod toy?
Nothing like a V8...get the RS4!
55.56%
Booooooost...go FI with the NSX
44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

New DD vs mod weekend toy - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I came in here hoping to see pictures of an RS4 and I am leaving happy. Congrats on the RS4! How do you like it so far?
Thanks J! It's been pretty amazing, no regrets so far. Between the NSX, the F31 M-Sport wagon, and now the RS4 I have my dream garage!

On the drive home, I was worried at first because the car didn't really feel all that fast to me, but then I realized I was short shifting at 5k RPMs and not even in the real power band. Once I had the cojones to fully rev it out, that worry quickly faded. It really is an incredible engine - there's something about a high-revving V8 that makes me smile ear to ear.

I was a little worried about owning a manual car as a DD, but so far I haven't noticed it. I've driven manual cars for long enough that I don't even really have to think about it. It certainly helps that it is one of the easiest manuals I've driven in a while (though coming from the Stage 3 clutch in my NSX, anything would be easier). The clutch pedal travel is a little long, but otherwise it's a perfect setup for DD.

I haven't taken on the backroads yet (maybe this weekend), but from my limited runs around some corners it handles really well. Neutral and surprisingly agile for a 3900lbs car.

Though minor and easily fixable, there are a few issues that need addressing:

- First and foremost, the RS4 is WAY too quiet in stock form. I can barely hear the exhaust from inside the car when I'm just cruising. I plan to rectify that soon with JHM downpipes and exhaust.

- The tech is woefully out of date - my car doesn't even have Bluetooth! However, I've already addressed that with had a Pioneer 6200NEX + backup camera installed today. It amazes me that's all the car really needed to feel modern again.

- Some of the exterior trim has faded over time, but the car is almost a decade old so that's expected. For a car with 122k miles, it's in fantastic shape (paint and interior look great). I plan to have it all repainted next week.

From a maintenance perspective, time will tell if I grow to lament choosing a car with such high mileage. But for now....really happy with my purchase!

Last edited by DAYTA; 10-07-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,715 Likes on 2,519 Posts
That sounds awesome. Can't wait to see the updates and some videos once you have the exhaust on. We need some vids of the new NSX headers and exhaust.