Other
7.25%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

New Car Time...DEFINITELY **LeafsFanFohLife Chooses Kia (page 7)**

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
GLI would be so fetch. Sporty sedan for the money.

Also congrats on the new little Dom!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Oh and duh... PS... congrats on the new little guy
Also congrats on the new little Dom!
Thanks guys.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

I demand a review when you get the GLI, tempted to trade in the Mazda3 for one in the future.

Assuming the Mazda3 is too small?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
I demand a review when you get the GLI,
I haven't decided yet.

tempted to trade in the Mazda3 for one in the future.
Assuming the Mazda3 is too small?
Never really looked at a new 3. Presuming is only slightly bigger than my Golf/Rabbit?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Being you're coming off of a VW lease... any chance you'd look at the A3 or A4 wagon? A3 may be too small... by A4 Avant may be up your alley. Get the 2.0T and you can have some fun when driving w/o the kiddies as well
Old 02-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
GLI would be so fetch. Sporty sedan for the money.
The following 3 users liked this post by juniorbean:
65 Fury Convert (03-09-2013), charliemike (02-28-2013), Crazy Bimmer (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Being you're coming off of a VW lease... any chance you'd look at the A3 or A4 wagon? A3 may be too small... by A4 Avant may be up your alley. Get the 2.0T and you can have some fun when driving w/o the kiddies as well
A used A4 is something I was actually looking at awhile back. Kind of forgot about it recently. It can be within the budget as well and it fits in the garage. And I love the styling. Although not certain I'd go wagon.

In terms of options, what should I be looking for? There's a Sport package that tightens things up correct?

Last edited by dom; 02-28-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Thanks!

Those have built in baby seats right?

My 2 kids want Bumblebee....damn that Micheal Bay.
So a new yellow VW Beetle Turbo you say?

Sounds like a great choice to me!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
So a new yellow VW Beetle Turbo you say?

Sounds like a great choice to me!
lol exactly.

At Rachel McAdams. That was a decent movie.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
A used A4 is something I was actually looking at awhile back. Kind of forgot about it recently. It can be within the budget as well and it fits in the garage. And I love the styling. Although not certain I'd go wagon.

In terms of options, what should I be looking for? There's a Sport package that tightens things up correct?
Depending on the year, you could be looking at different things w/in the Sport package (at least in the States).

I saw a 2011 A4 Avant S-Line Titanium recently and it looked awesome. If I had kids, that'd be my car. It was this car, but in meteor grey:

http://www.kilometermagazine.com/art...t-titanium.jpg
Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

Yes. There is a Sports Packages which drops it a bit and tightens it up. That is what we had and it is totally worth it. Be aware there is also an S-Line package... but that is mostly cosmetic (wheels, grilles, etc). So you want the Sports package. Both the A4 and A6 we owned had it and it makes a big difference in looks and feel on both...
Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Yes. There is a Sports Packages which drops it a bit and tightens it up. That is what we had and it is totally worth it. Be aware there is also an S-Line package... but that is mostly cosmetic (wheels, grilles, etc). So you want the Sports package. Both the A4 and A6 we owned had it and it makes a big difference in looks and feel on both...
The B8 S-Line has the sports suspension and better seats. Just FYI
Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by charliemike
The B8 S-Line has the sports suspension and better seats. Just FYI
Nice. Glad they finally bundled everything
Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Nice. Glad they finally bundled everything
Agreed. I remember looking at B7 S-Line sedans and I couldn't tell the difference between one and a base A4 sedan. Even the wheels were the same.

Which baffled me considering how good the Ultrasport package was on the early B6s.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by The Dougler
you should consider putting the new fusion on your list. only issue is that it's 191 inch's long. but imo it's the best looker.
Drove one today. 2.0L SE. Really liked it and the wife loved it. 0% financing as well, price was good. Car felt very torquey and rode beautifully. Felt there was far more power there than in the Accord I took out last week despite review #'s saying otherwise. Going to give this car some serious thought.

Also took out the demo GLI. Really liked that as well but they wouldn't budge below 28k. For a 2012, I think it's a bit high, not sure. Loved the motor and the chassis on the car, and the red stitching everywhere is a very nice touch.

Tough call. Plan to take out a 6 this week but I don't see myself being able to live with a NA 4 banger.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

So did some more test driving today. Things have also changed a bit in that the wife wants a bigger car so we can all fit, that may eliminiate the Jetta.

Decided to give the I4 Accord another shot first. The car simply isn't for me. This was the second time I've driven a car equipped with a CVT and while this is worlds better than the CVT in the Civic Hybrid loaner I had, its still a terrible transmission IMO. Rubber band effect is there and what's worse, when you come off the gas its almost as if the engine stops working and the car gets jerky, my wife in the passenger seat noticed it right away. Also, its got no power. Even in Sport mode it just didn't feel like there was much there. Econ button off and all. My old TSX felt far peppier and that was just adequate IMO.

Next up was the V6. Sure enough it was a gem, transmission was night and day better, butterly smooth and plenty of power. No complaints with the car whatsoever other than the terrible color selection. Only 4 colors up here in that trim. After that drive there was no way the I4 was in the running.

Drove right across the Street to the Ford dealer and took out a 2.0 SE. Again I was very impressed and the wife loves it. The seating position is better IMO probably because you feel more like your planted in the car because of the high beltline and high center console. Much sportier feeling. No question visibility is better in the Accord though. Chassis is also better than the Accords. Tigter steering and the bumps are soaked up beautifully. Not a great deal better but better. Tons of tourque on tap as well. Much like the Accord V6 the car doesn't lack for power at all.

So it comes down to pricing.

The Accord V6 can be had I think for around 37K out the door. (MSRP + tax is 39K but I imagine there's some room there.) But has 3.99% financing which drives the cost up considerably.

The Fusion SE can be had for about 34.5K out the door and has 0%. (MSRP on this one is $32,879 but $30,500 was easily negotiated)

This Fusion I drove has the SE Appearance package, (18" wheels, Red Stiched seats, and rear spolier), Navi, My Ford Touch, heated seats and Sunroof. In comparison to the Accord its missing leather, Collision warning, Sideview camera and lane watch but adds Navi. Other than the leather I don't care too much about those options.

With interest and presuming I put nothing down the Accord will cost me $41,100, The Fusion $34,500...

Is the Accord worth the 6K more?Granted, I'll be making some of that back in fuel savings but not 6K worth. Sorry for the long post, feels good to put it in writing.

Last edited by dom; 03-07-2013 at 07:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dom:
65 Fury Convert (03-09-2013), alexSU (03-07-2013), jhumbo (03-12-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Glad the test drives are going well!

You can always use the $6,000 difference at the end of the term and take the family on a memorable vacation.

If you ever have to squeeze the three kidlets into the car, consider looking at the Diono car seats - previously Radian/Sunshine Kids (they make a high-back booster as well, if that's what your eldest is using). They are far less bulky and narrower, specifically designed to be able to fit three across --- or so is the claim.

When do you guys have to make your final decision about the car?

Last edited by Street Spirit; 03-07-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Geez $40K for an Accord?! I'd save some money and get the Ford.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Glad the test drives are going well!

You can always use the $6,000 difference at the end of the term and take the family on a memorable vacation.

If you ever have to squeeze the three kidlets into the car, consider looking at the Diono car seats - previously Radian/Sunshine Kids (they make a high-back booster as well, if that's what your eldest is using). They are far less bulky and narrower, specifically designed to be able to fit three across --- or so is the claim.

When do you guys have to make your final decision about the car?
Thanks. 1 kid will be out of the booster in 2 weeks and the other uses the small booster so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Would like to decide within a week or 2, I'm in the car shopping mode now so I want to get this done.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by alexSU
Geez $40K for an Accord?! I'd save some money and get the Ford.
Did I also mention we pay 13% in sales tax....

Its 41K after interest but I have to factor that into the cost. In all likely hood I'd put some money down if I went with an Accord just to ease the interest hit.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
So did some more test driving today. Things have also changed a bit in that the wife wants a bigger car so we can all fit, that may eliminiate the Jetta.

Decided to give the I4 Accord another shot first. The car simply isn't for me. This was the second time I've driven a car equipped with a CVT and while this is worlds better than the CVT in the Civic Hybrid loaner I had, its still a terrible transmission IMO. Rubber band effect is there and what's worse, when you come off the gas its almost as if the engine stops working and the car gets jerky, my wife in the passenger seat noticed it right away. Also, its got no power. Even in Sport mode it just didn't feel like there was much there. Econ button off and all. My old TSX felt far peppier and that was just adequate IMO.

Next up was the V6. Sure enough it was a gem, transmission was night and day better, butterly smooth and plenty of power. No complaints with the car whatsoever other than the terrible color selection. Only 4 colors up here in that trim. After that drive there was no way the I4 was in the running.

Drove right across the Street to the Ford dealer and took out a 2.0 SE. Again I was very impressed and the wife loves it. The seating position is better IMO probably because you feel more like your planted in the car because of the high beltline and high center console. Much sportier feeling. No question visibility is better in the Accord though. Chassis is also better than the Accords. Tigter steering and the bumps are soaked up beautifully. Not a great deal better but better. Tons of tourque on tap as well. Much like the Accord V6 the car doesn't lack for power at all.

So it comes down to pricing.

The Accord V6 can be had I think for around 37K out the door. (MSRP + tax is 39K but I imagine there's some room there.) But has 3.99% financing which drives the cost up considerably.

The Fusion SE can be had for about 34.5K out the door and has 0%. (MSRP on this one is $32,879 but $30,500 was easily negotiated)

This Fusion I drove has the SE Appearance package, (18" wheels, Red Stiched seats, and rear spolier), Navi, My Ford Touch, heated seats and Sunroof. In comparison to the Accord its missing leather, Collision warning, Sideview camera and lane watch but adds Navi. Other than the leather I don't care too much about those options.

With interest and presuming I put nothing down the Accord will cost me $41,100, The Fusion $34,500...

Is the Accord worth the 6K more?Granted, I'll be making some of that back in fuel savings but not 6K worth. Sorry for the long post, feels good to put it in writing.
Great summary, sounds like you have a few things to think about. If it eases your mind the Ford does look like a mini aston I saw a charcoal grey one the other day making a left from a side street, I had to do a double take cause I actually thought it was an aston for a second. My company car program might be changing in the near future and if so I'm hoping I can get into a fusion titanium loaded, and have it come in on budget. Looks like right now with the 0% APR it will work...
Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Did you decide not to give the Mazda6 a try? I was looking forward to hearing your impressions on it, since its on my radar.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Did I also mention we pay 13% in sales tax....

Its 41K after interest but I have to factor that into the cost. In all likely hood I'd put some money down if I went with an Accord just to ease the interest hit.
Honestly, given the price difference, it sounds like the Fusion is a better option.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Honestly, given the price difference, it sounds like the Fusion is a better option.
$6k is a lot of cheddar. Grab a set of winters with some of that, take the wife out for dinner, profit.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jayhawk815
Did you decide not to give the Mazda6 a try? I was looking forward to hearing your impressions on it, since its on my radar.
Not yet. Walked into a Mazda dealer last Saturday, walked around for 10 minutes and not one person offered to help so I got pissed and left. I don't look like a punk kid so I'm not sure why I wasn't worth at least a hello. That's never happened at another dealer I've been to. I'll have to try another Mazda dealer. But if the Accord test drive in any indication the I4 6 won't be in the running.
The following users liked this post:
65 Fury Convert (03-09-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by The Dougler
Great summary, sounds like you have a few things to think about. If it eases your mind the Ford does look like a mini aston I saw a charcoal grey one the other day making a left from a side street, I had to do a double take cause I actually thought it was an aston for a second. My company car program might be changing in the near future and if so I'm hoping I can get into a fusion titanium loaded, and have it come in on budget. Looks like right now with the 0% APR it will work...
I wasn't sold on the Fusion initially and still think I might put the Accord ahead of it exterior styling wise but its damn close. The Fusion does look pimp in black though. Interior wise the Fusion in a clear winner IMO. Simple, clean layout that looks upscale.

Those rims on the Titanium are nice too.

Honestly I may just let my wife make the call and I know she'll choose the Fusion. 6K is 6K..
Old 03-08-2013, 02:04 PM

Would it help any to look at getting a car from the States? Take a loan/line of credit here but buy in full from the US and bring it across..?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Get the Fusion!!!!
It looks incredible.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
I wasn't sold on the Fusion initially and still think I might put the Accord ahead of it exterior styling wise but its damn close. The Fusion does look pimp in black though. Interior wise the Fusion in a clear winner IMO. Simple, clean layout that looks upscale.

Those rims on the Titanium are nice too.

Honestly I may just let my wife make the call and I know she'll choose the Fusion. 6K is 6K..
Make sure that you and your wife are comfortable with the My Ford Touch system. There have been a lot of complaints about it and the few times I have been hands on with one, it has been a bit touch-and-go. Not the easiest system to live with.
alexSU (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 05:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Make sure that you and your wife are comfortable with the My Ford Touch system. There have been a lot of complaints about it and the few times I have been hands on with one, it has been a bit touch-and-go. Not the easiest system to live with.
dom's not an
He'll be able to wrap his head around it. :wink:
Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Think 2-3 years in advance. I was ok with an Accord and 2 kids, but for 3, family wins and there goes your justification for a minivan.

You'll be better with an el cheapo 12-15K$ 15-20K miles 2011-2012 Dodge Caravan and another low cost toy for you.

Example;
http://wwwa.autohebdo.net/a/Dodge/Ca...howcpo=ShowCPO

Last edited by Saintor; 03-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with Honda over mazda or vw. If anything else perhaps a nissan maxima or altima. gl
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Saintor
Think 2-3 years in advance. I was ok with an Accord and 2 kids, but for 3, family wins and there goes your justification for a minivan.
They already have a van.
Think this is the car Dom will mostly be using to commute to/from work.
05TLdcc (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

They already have a van.
Mind your own business, I can speak for myself!!!

Yes, as mentioned, already have an Ody so hauling capabilities are covered.

Getting worried about both the Fusion and Accord as first year builds. My 04TSX had a number of issues. Need to give this more thought.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Would it help any to look at getting a car from the States? Take a loan/line of credit here but buy in full from the US and bring it across..?

Have to give up the warranty going that route no?

I say Fusion over the Accord, always catches my eye when i see them.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
dom's not an
He'll be able to wrap his head around it. :wink:
Not a matter of wrapping his head around it, more a matter of infuriating response times and terrible behavior around updates.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jdmfanbrat
I'd go with Honda over mazda or vw. If anything else perhaps a nissan maxima or altima. gl
No, no, no, no, no on the Altima. What a miserable piece of crap that thing is. Garbage materials, horrendous transmission, near complete lack of sound deadening, and video game steering to boot. Just run away from that one...far, far away.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

The VW Passat TDi gets something like 50mpg on the highway.

I have been please with my Jetta through 70k miles. No issues at all.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
They already have a van.
Would have been nice if it was mentioned at the same time the 3 kids were.

A new car is 30K$C+ with taxes, not counting interests. At this point, I would rather have a real toy, get 2500$ out of my account and do the following;
- Keep the Rabbit three more years
- Lower the suspension
- Install an aftermarket exhaust (that 5-cyl. can sound really nice)
- Install nicer 17" wheels
- Install short shifter kit

Otherwise the Mazda6 gets my vote.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Saintor
Would have been nice if it was mentioned at the same time the 3 kids were.

A new car is 30K$C+ with taxes, not counting interests. At this point, I would rather have a real toy, get 2500$ out of my account and do the following;
- Keep the Rabbit three more years
- Lower the suspension
- Install an aftermarket exhaust (that 5-cyl. can sound really nice)
- Install nicer 17" wheels
- Install short shifter kit

Otherwise the Mazda6 gets my vote.

First post dude.

Although we still have an 07 Ody to lug the kids around so size isn't the only factor.
Not really into modding so I can't see myself doing that to the Rabbit. But keeping it is a very real possibility. Already handles very nicely as its a Comfortline with Sport package. Has a nice set of 17"s from the factory.

Quick Reply: New Car Time...DEFINITELY **LeafsFanFohLife Chooses Kia (page 7)**