NEED advice!!! Should I do a BMW driving school? Concerns!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
NEED advice!!! Should I do a BMW driving school? Concerns!!!

OK, my buddy who onws a 330Ci went last year to the BMW driving school at Gingerman, which is in South Haven, Michigan. He LOVED it.

He's trying to get me to go this year, but I'm extremely concerned about IF my car will take the abuse and if I should even do it. I didn't pay all this money and put all this time and effort into beating the shit out of my car. Although, he spend a hell of a lot more on his car than I did and has no problems taking it to Gingerman.

Gingerman is a road course, where you can get up to 100mph speeds, and then have to brake HARD to go into the turns. It's very demanding not only on the driver but on the car.

1) Will my ROTORS be able to handle all this heat this will be generated? Am I just asking for problems???

2) Brake pads. It is suggested to bring a replacement set of brake pads. There are people there that change theirs prior to going out on the track. Bad idea???

3) Tires. I know my Pilot A/S aren't the best for performance, but they're gonna get shredded BIG TIME.

4) Can the CL even handle this type of a demanding environment. Other FWD cars do go there... I'm just not sure if the CL would be up to the challenge.

I know people have auot-x'd here before but have you done it in this type of environment??? Is this even worth thinking about? There's no doubt I'd have fun, but I don't want to beat the living snot out of my car either....

So confused...
Old 04-02-2003, 01:06 PM
I hate the Mets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C'mmon Scrib - You know you want to...Your friends are doing it
Old 04-02-2003, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

Sounds like it would be a fun, but expensive day.

I think the BRAKE issue would be my biggest concern.
Our brakes seem to be undersized for the weight of the car and that’s just in NORMAL driving.
I think you would toast the rotors if you pushed it.

Shawn S
Old 04-02-2003, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
If this is truely a driving school and not a timed event, then you can drive at your own pace. If you experience brake fade, you can drop behind (or drop out earlier then) the rest of the cars in your "run".

The reason why people have another set of pads is probably because they use a "competition" set for the track, and switch back to a street compound for the ride back home. Also most tech. inspections require a minimum amount of pad thickness, so this could also be a consideration.

The biggest concern is the brakes. Most track cars are outfitted w/ bigger brakes before they are modified for more hp. It's usually done the other way around in most cases (look at the siglines of most members here, you won't see many CL's with Brembo mods).

Another thing to remember is that some auto insurance companies will not cover your car for an accident at timed events, but will for a drivers education event.

It sounds like a fun day, but with alot of things that are fun, there is some risk involved.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A 330 with sport packge and equal drivers will easily out handle a CLS /w sways/shocks/sprint/strut bars. Especially if they have even further beefed up the suspension on BMW.

I wouldn't do it if I were you man. Our cars were NOT designed for that kind of abuse. Especially the brakes on the CLS, not well vented. The BMW with sport package is. Ya my friend changes his brake pads too when he does that stuff in his BMW. Usually bring a couple of sets...

It would be fun though
Old 04-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Yeah, brakes are my biggest concern. My buddy and I go WAY back.

He got me a subscription to the BMWCCA for Chirstmas, so it'ds be about 300 bucks, which includes the classes and course time.

I so want to do this, but yeah the brakes are a big concern. The insurance thing doesn't really bother me. There are NO walls and really nothing to hit out there. If I lose it, I'll just go off the course, but I won't hit anything. A guy who has been doing this for years and is good friends with my friend says he's never seen any damage EVER occur at Gingerman.

Here's the course info:

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/home.html

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkk.... I want to go sooooo badly... But shit. If my rotors turn into jelly, that wouldn't be so good.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Well you can do it and i dont see how it can damage your car much. But it is expensive. Few chicago bmw guys go up there everyyear, they say they go through brake pads like crazy. but thats about it. Just so you know, these guys have modded BMWs and Modded 944s. So their cars can handle better up there.

But hey try it out, i wouldnt find tagging along with ya
Old 04-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Don't they have BMW's you can use? The BMW school I went to had 3,& 5 series cars for the students. This must be different, cause there was no racing, in the school I went to.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

another choice would be to rent a Camero from the local airport for the day,, $55-$85, have fun, but you didn't hear that from me,,, I don't do this really I don't,,,
Old 04-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Racer

You have the same tires as mine. These tires will get chewed up, no doubt about it. You will lose chunks of it!!! So in addition to the racing pads, you want to get a set of decent used tires also, unless you are willing to part with your Michelins You may also have to part with the front rotors when you are done. Mucho dinero
Old 04-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
Well you can do it and i dont see how it can damage your car much. But it is expensive. Few chicago bmw guys go up there everyyear, they say they go through brake pads like crazy. but thats about it. Just so you know, these guys have modded BMWs and Modded 944s. So their cars can handle better up there.

But hey try it out, i wouldnt find tagging along with ya
$400 tires (sumitomo)
$120 mount balance (Decent price)
$60 rear pads
$14 machine rear rotors
$40 front brake pads
$110 front rotors
---------------------------------------------------
$744 and that is a low ball. Since I didn't count labor for the brakes. And those are decent prices. (add another 200-300 for labor)

http://catalog.auto-parts-wholesale....e=AC&year=2001
Old 04-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Jesal, if you're really interested, I can put you in touch with my buddy who can give you more details. PM me.

Tires can be replaced, and for the price I paid for my Pilots, they could get shredded and I wouldn't care too much.

Brakes on the other hand... Most people bring an extra set of pads with them and swap them out on the weekend. People there help others with this job. So that would be taken care of...

But those damn rotors. I feel a slight bit of pulse on them already and I haven't even braked the car hard at all. I got a sinking feeling that I'd turn them into molten steel.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Burning Brakes

why the hell are u gonna pay money to go to driving school?? Don t u already know how to drive?? Besides, you dont even drive a BMW...and, your car is an auto....it just blows my mind what pple spend their money on....How hard is it to learn gas...then brake....then gas, brake...and repeat as neccessay
Old 04-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
This is performance driving school. I've been to 2 of them . The BMW, & Skip Barber. They teach you all sorts of great stuff.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:40 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by mr. big
why the hell are u gonna pay money to go to driving school?? Don t u already know how to drive?? Besides, you dont even drive a BMW...and, your car is an auto....it just blows my mind what pple spend their money on....How hard is it to learn gas...then brake....then gas, brake...and repeat as neccessay
Yeah, you're right. The driving school would have probably taught me things like green means go, red means stop?

You obviously have no idea what a BMW driving school is like. And who gives a rats ass if I have an auto. Ever think I may want to LEARN something??? Just because I don't have a third pedal to negotiate doesn't mean squat.

Old 04-03-2003, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Scrib
Just because I don't have a third pedal to negotiate doesn't mean squat.
Since you have an auto, driving on a road course will be much harder on the brakes (w/ a stick you can downshift and let the engine slow you down some) then if you have a stick.

IIRC there was a automatic BMW that did ok in it's class in the Open Track Challenge ( http://www.opentrackchallenge.com/main.htm ). So while having an auto might be seen by some as a dissadvantge on a road course, it shouldn't hinder the fun in drivers ed.

I say go for it. The only way to see if the CLS can handle it is to put it too the test. Get a set of track tires/rims. Flush the brake fluid (use ATE blue or similiar, so you can see when all the old fluid is out of the system), make sure the brakes are well bleed, and install a set of "performance" pads.

If you experience excessive brake fade, you can always call it a day, and chock it up to a lesson well learned. After trying the first time out, you'll know if you'll want to make brake upgrades for later driving schools.

Track time isn't cheap, it's not the money for the day that is expensive, it's all the cars preparation that costs the big $$.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Dont hesitate, just sign up. Gingerman is a very fun track and you have to be stupid to wreck your car. The only wall you can hit is in turn 11, so just take it easy around that one. If you do lose it, then you spin in the grass, no biggie. There are a lot of driving schools that go to that track from time to time. The BMWCCA school should be pretty fun, but its probably going to be expensive. For comparision, open tracking during the weekdays costs $50 bucks. Guys at the track are usually willing to take a ride along with you and show you the course and what to do.

As for brakes and tire, you are going to eat them up. Dont go the track without a dedicated track pad. I would just install some pads the night before and then you are all set. Your stock rotors will be fine, you just might have to take them and get them turned because they might have excess pad material on them. As for tires, I am not sure if you are running stock??? If so, they will get worn, but not to the point that you have to go and buy new ones immediately. You can probably get 6+ track days out of a set of street tires,depending on how hard you push your car. My friend ran through 1 1/2 sets of DOT slicks in his Z06 last year and he goes there constantly and is a very aggresive driver.

I dont know if the event is all booked up, but ClubSi has a all day event going on in June for $70, you might want to check that out as well.