Mod'ed cars are more attractive to cops?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod'ed cars are more attractive to cops?

Just got the ticket today.

I was making a right turn at a red light. i DID stop'ed, but turn without signaling. There's a car coming from the left traffic and he was on the far left lane. i turn into the right lane.
So, it sounds cool right?

After i make the turn, i step on the gas hard, but not hard enough to pass the road limit (40). Then suddenly, i saw a cop coming behind me fast. He's light is not on, so i suppose he's not coming after me. So, i made a right lane change, to let him pass.
I squeeze in between two cars on the right lane. THEN, he's light started flashing.

He said that, by the way i drive, he can charge me quite some violation, but he's only giving me ONE. I explained everything to him. (that i only wanted to let him pass, since he was driving fast behind me)
He won't listen, saying that, still, i shouldn't be making that right lane change and squeezing in between the two cars beside me.

Feels like a BS to me, since he can't find other stuff to pin on me. He even says that he THINKS that i made the right lane change in between the two cars because i felt GUILTY and i wanted to get away from him. == wth..

I guess, i'll be seeing him in court.

for those who dunno how my car look like...:
Old 03-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
If you turned into the right hand lane (adjacent to the sidewalk) on the red light, how were you able to then move into the right hand lane when you saw the police car approaching?

If you in fact made your right on red into the second (middle) lane, you most likely earned your ticket right then, as most places require you to turn into the FIRST AVAILABLE lane.

The story doesn't seem to make sense, although I am sure there is an explanation.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
what stogie said.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:33 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts
:ibcartalk:

FWIW I kinda DO believe modded cars are more attractive to cops.... but then again, modded cars generally attract attention... which means if a cop was just driving along... a modded car is going to catch his eyes... thus, increasing the chance of the said modded car getting pulled over for ANY reason.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Cops never give me a second glance in my RL.

In my Prelude they tailgate me..

Take that for what its worth
Old 03-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
Ken, my beater is a civic on 19s, I always get tailgated, however when im driving the wifes IS350, like you said, they could care less.

So OP, I believe cops mess with modded cars more, however its just do to the few that street race and what not.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:45 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Originally Posted by stogie1020
If you turned into the right hand lane (adjacent to the sidewalk) on the red light, how were you able to then move into the right hand lane when you saw the police car approaching?

If you in fact made your right on red into the second (middle) lane, you most likely earned your ticket right then, as most places require you to turn into the FIRST AVAILABLE lane.

The story doesn't seem to make sense, although I am sure there is an explanation.
ohh.. i didn't write it more detail. haha.

But yea, After i made the right turn, i was on the first lane. (which is what you said, the right side of the road.) i made a lane change to the middle. It was then, i sped up, and saw a cop coming behind me.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

btw,,

do you guys know roughly this ticket will cost me?

Because i dun think i want to pay for this tho.. think i'll be going to court about it.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a cop follow me for 35 miles today coming back from maine southbound on 95. i was going the speed limit.. 68 in a 65, he was sitting on a hill and i figured i was fine, the car infront of me slowed down to around 50, so i downshifted to 4th to jump out and pass him. the cop must have not liked my exhaust note and came out after me.. followed me all the way to the NH state line..
Old 03-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by msmching
btw,,

Because i dun think i want to pay for this tho.. think i'll be going to court about it.
i would definetly fight it.. sounds kinda like some empowerment//entrapment issues on the cops behalf.

my friend was sitting at an intersection next to a cop and realized he was in the wrong turn lane.. the lines however, were solid white, he put on his signal, and when the light turned green, the cop waved him over infront of him, the SECOND he crossed the white line into the cops lane, the cop turned on his lights and cited him for "illegal lane change" it was a 55$ ticket.. but what the fuck man
Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
engrish?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ShadowBar
I had a cop follow me for 35 miles today coming back from maine southbound on 95. i was going the speed limit.. 68 in a 65, he was sitting on a hill and i figured i was fine, the car infront of me slowed down to around 50, so i downshifted to 4th to jump out and pass him. the cop must have not liked my exhaust note and came out after me.. followed me all the way to the NH state line..
Cops up that way are Maniacs...
Old 03-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BC2G
engrish?
Herro prease.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
btw,,

Check out the 2009 Bail and Penalties Schedule.

This is without traffic school (which is $24 + court fees, usually adds up to be $100)
22107 I Unsafe Turn or Lane Change Prohibited 35 40 28.00 8 20.00 7 8 146.00 2a 1

So, with traffic school, you're looking at $246, roughly.

Even if you do go to court, you MUST pay the bail. So, don't think you'll go to court and pay later. You pay before; if you win, you get it back a check within 30 days from the court.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
There's a car coming from the left traffic and he was on the far left lane. i turn into the right lane.
So, it sounds cool right?

After i make the turn, i step on the gas hard, but not hard enough to pass the road limit (40). Then suddenly, i saw a cop coming behind me fast. He's light is not on, so i suppose he's not coming after me. So, i made a right lane change, to let him pass.
I squeeze in between two cars on the right lane.
THEN, he's light started flashing.

He said that, by the way i drive, he can charge me quite some violation, but he's only giving me ONE.
The cop is right-- he could have given you at least two tickets based on what you posted.
1) You cut off the driver making the left (why else would you step on the gas hard? :shakehead )
2) Why squeeze in between two cars if cop car is behind you and has no intent to stop you?
You drove like an asshat-- probably the same result if you were driving a Mercury Marauder, Ford Pinto, silver Accord or white Camry.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:07 AM
Banned

Love it when a 22 year old gets put in his place.

Very well put Will.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Cops up that way are Maniacs...
they're few and far between, but they've got nothing better to do then waste time. i saw a cop follow [tailgate] a mini-van for a good 4-5 miles, lane changes and all, till the minivan finally sped up to try and get the cop to a more reasonable difference and not quite so on his tail and the cop pulled him over. im assuming for speeding.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Will Y.
The cop is right-- he could have given you at least two tickets based on what you posted.
1) You cut off the driver making the left (why else would you step on the gas hard? :shakehead )
2) Why squeeze in between two cars if cop car is behind you and has no intent to stop you?
You drove like an asshat-- probably the same result if you were driving a Mercury Marauder, Ford Pinto, silver Accord or white Camry.
i think it was his broken engrish.. if you scroll down a little bit he clears up a confusing part.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:18 AM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
btw,,

thats pretty much depends on the area. But I guarantee they have a website in that tells...

and how is this not in cartalk yet?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

uhhh, for number 1).. I wasn't cutting him off.. but base on that cop, he says, i still have to let him pass first.

there's three lanes after i made the right turn. and one big space on the far right, so yea, the road was pretty big.
(It's Huntington Drive in So-cal)
the car i mentioned coming on the left.. that car wasn't making a turn or whatever, he was going straight. I didn't step on the gas because of him, there's no way that i m going to block him or trying to be faster to pass him.

and uhh, 2). I was already at 40 miles (speed limit), i m sure the cops coming behind me at 45-50 miles.
Of cuz, i m gonna make a lane change.
So yes, everytime i see a cop behind me, no matter what speed they are driving OR if they are NOT flashing their lights, i let them pass first. I jsut thought it might be a little polite to let them go first.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Senior Moderator

they're few and far between, but they've got nothing better to do then waste time. i saw a cop follow [tailgate] a mini-van for a good 4-5 miles, lane changes and all, till the minivan finally sped up to try and get the cop to a more reasonable difference and not quite so on his tail and the cop pulled him over. im assuming for speeding.
Thats about right.. sounds like the shit I had to deal with in New Hampsha and Massholeville.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Originally Posted by nbennettksu
thats pretty much depends on the area. But I guarantee they have a website in that tells...

and how is this not in cartalk yet?
Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Check out the 2009 Bail and Penalties Schedule.

This is without traffic school (which is $24 + court fees, usually adds up to be $100)
22107 I Unsafe Turn or Lane Change Prohibited 35 40 28.00 8 20.00 7 8 146.00 2a 1

So, with traffic school, you're looking at $246, roughly.

Even if you do go to court, you MUST pay the bail. So, don't think you'll go to court and pay later. You pay before; if you win, you get it back a check within 30 days from the court.
ahh.. just found the page online.. thnx~
Old 03-22-2009, 02:25 AM
i heart latin chicks

werd, whats the verdict?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Drifting

werd, whats the verdict?

you need some serious shampoo.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

i think it was his broken engrish.. if you scroll down a little bit he clears up a confusing part.
lol.. dun think its THAT broken. at least you still can read my writing. ~~
Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

werd, whats the verdict?
verdict?

i just got the ticket today tho.. @@

says to go to the court on may 20th.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 AM
Drifting

lol.. dun think its THAT broken. at least you still can read my writing. ~~
yeah, your a proficient speller, don't get me wrong, just leaving out some key grammatical items and things that make the english language a fucking bitch.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:30 AM
i heart latin chicks

verdict?

i just got the ticket today tho.. @@

says to go to the court on may 20th.
I meant like how much does it look like you're gonna be payin, but then I read NyQ's post
Old 03-22-2009, 02:37 AM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
awww shit... water-s's spawn.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:52 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

yeah, your a proficient speller, don't get me wrong, just leaving out some key grammatical items and things that make the english language a fucking bitch.
haha.. so it does show that i m an asian yet?

XD

oh well, seeing that its not a class, i didn't proof read be4 i post. haha.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

for the people that's with me..

think its better off fighting the ticket?
Old 03-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
uhhh, for number 1).. I wasn't cutting him off.. but base on that cop, he says, i still have to let him pass first.

there's three lanes after i made the right turn. and one big space on the far right, so yea, the road was pretty big.
(It's Huntington Drive in So-cal)
the car i mentioned coming on the left.. that car wasn't making a turn or whatever, he was going straight. I didn't step on the gas because of him, there's no way that i m going to block him or trying to be faster to pass him.
The traffic with the green light has right of way-- and he could have changed lanes from the #3 into the #2 lane or the #1 lane where you were turning, so it's a failure to yield on your part.
I work in Alhambra, and my buddy/boss has a house off Huntington Dr. in San Marino, BTW.
What was the reason to step on the gas hard if you were not going to be a hazard to the car approaching from the left?
So yes, everytime i see a cop behind me, no matter what speed they are driving OR if they are NOT flashing their lights, i let them pass first. I jsut thought it might be a little polite to let them go first.
Don't do that if you have to exceed the speed limit or cut off cars in adjacent lanes-- if the cop car needs to get around you, it'll let you and surrounding traffic know with the PA system or emergency lights.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I know here in sac its like 35 dollar admin fee if you want to fight it.. I know someone that fought a 10 dollar ticket and i was like why? But if you think you have a chance on winning go ahead..

I heard in some state cant remember the state but the cop can alter the ticket like he can add more too it...

One thing I hate is when then say "I Think" when i got my ticket he said I think you were going 43. Cops out here record everything so i just laugh when they play it in the court room and the judge hears everything

One last thing about the cops are attracted to moad'ed cars. My TL isnt real modded but cops dont even think twice at me i have no subs so you cant hear anything i have a little drop but not worth getting pulled over. You can have a modded TL and a stock Integra what do you think they will go after my guess is the integra because they THINK there is something up with it

Last edited by Flipster23; 03-22-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:09 AM
Banned

^yeah I know out here they record everything as well. If you take it to court you better have your A-Game together. You will be paying court fee as well as your ticket, instead of just the ticket.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:29 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

The traffic with the green light has right of way-- and he could have changed lanes from the #3 into the #2 lane or the #1 lane where you were turning, so it's a failure to yield on your part.
I work in Alhambra, and my buddy/boss has a house off Huntington Dr. in San Marino, BTW.
What was the reason to step on the gas hard if you were not going to be a hazard to the car approaching from the left?

Don't do that if you have to exceed the speed limit or cut off cars in adjacent lanes-- if the cop car needs to get around you, it'll let you and surrounding traffic know with the PA system or emergency lights.
oh well, i got the lesson now. Won't be just letting them go if they do not have their light on next time.

As for the reason to step on the gas?
Nothing good enough for you to agree with. Its just, i did it because i want to. I'll say, there wasn't any car (other than the car on the left lane) in front of me.

Just not to get it wrong. By stepping on the gas hard, doesn't mean that i was trying to see how fast i can go from 0-45 mph.. Not like i step it to the floor. not like i start with "burning?" the tires from 0.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:31 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Originally Posted by 03TL_typeS
I know here in sac its like 35 dollar admin fee if you want to fight it.. I know someone that fought a 10 dollar ticket and i was like why? But if you think you have a chance on winning go ahead..

I heard in some state cant remember the state but the cop can alter the ticket like he can add more too it...

One thing I hate is when then say "I Think" when i got my ticket he said I think you were going 43. Cops out here record everything so i just laugh when they play it in the court room and the judge hears everything

One last thing about the cops are attracted to moad'ed cars. My TL isnt real modded but cops dont even think twice at me i have no subs so you cant hear anything i have a little drop but not worth getting pulled over. You can have a modded TL and a stock Integra what do you think they will go after my guess is the integra because they THINK there is something up with it
isn't it the judge who's able to add charges to my ticket if i go to court?
at least that's what i heard of.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:18 AM
joe rocks c2s :D

isn't it the judge who's able to add charges to my ticket if i go to court?
at least that's what i heard of.
no the judge will not add charges of any sort...he can only hear what happened and give you the final verdict. he wasn't there when the incident happened, so he can only hear two sides of the story...yours and the police officers

what you got into is minor bro, go to court, it won't hurt, it will only help. If the officer shows, plead guilty...those guys are hard to argue against. The judge usually takes their side over yours.

I know in CA, where you are at, the courts will give you two options. traffic school + half off on ticket fees and a chance to plead your case.

If i were you, and you didn't want to pay ANYTHING, just postpone your court date like maybe two times, and then go to court. the officer won't show. I got into a ticket, like your case, similar thing happened.

If you feel confident that you can plead your case to the judge, then by all means do it. I'm sure if you explain to the judge you could win. it seems very reasonable...judging from your story. And, don't bring anything up about the officer pulling your car over because it's modded...it's about the way you drive haha. I drove in a beater 92 accord got pulled over and an 08 accord and got pulled over...it's all about how you drive i went to court everytime though, got my ticket cut in half or won the case because the cop didnt show
Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
sounds kinda like some empowerment//entrapment issues on the cops behalf.

huh?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I've gotten more tickets in my boring Infiniti sedan than I did in my modded CLs. I got pulled over a lot more in the CLs.

That said....turning without signaling is still illegal, so quit your whining and just say "lesson learned."
Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I certainly believe modded cars do attract more attention to everyone, not just cops. Based on your story, I really don't see anything you did wrong, but I suppose if the cop thinks you cut that other driver off, then I SUPPOSE the ticket is valid but sounds a bit ticky tack; people do that and much worse than that here with cops around and never get pulled over. Ditto on the failure to signal, it is illegal, but around here, if cops stopped EVERYONE who didn't signal then they'll be pulling over people every 10 minutes. I always signal, but most people don't. However, in the future its a good idea ALWAYS signal to avoid something like this again. I even signal in turn only lanes; just a habit of mine.

Final word of advice, unless you have to get another lane to make a turn, NEVER switch lanes with a cop behind you; makes you look real suspicious especially if he thinks your trying to get away from him; as long as your going to the speed limit he has no reason to pull you over and if he want to pass you he will. Additionally, never brake if a cop is behind you; makes you look even more suspicious. I can't count how many times I've seen a cop pull up behind a car and the person all of a sudden the person in the car starts tapping his brakes every 5 - 10 seconds and ends up getting pulled over. Again if you're going the speed limit should be no reason to brake.

I would definitely take this to court, if this is your only offense or first in quite a while the judge may show leniency on you. Explain your story, and offer to take traffic school in exchange for the ticket to be thrown out. I would say get a lawyer, but based on what you've said you really don't want to spend a lot of money on this.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 03-22-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Mod'ed cars are more attractive to cops?