Lexus is overrated (IMO)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronnn
i still dont see how the interior of the lexus GS is on par with the TSX...

acura's got fake vinyl leather, which makes a nice imitation leather i guess and all that plastic fake wood.. hard plastic, covered in more vinyl...

where are you getting that the tsx is even close to the GS's premium leather and real wood??

when you sit in both cars, it feels like two different worlds to me. im not saying the fake stuff is bad in the acura, i actually think its great how honda/acura can make one of the best imitation wood, trim, leather, etc.. without bringing up the price, but when you sit in a lexus, its totally different man.

my aunt has an ES330, and my mom used to have a GS430. these are both the previous gens, and i think the interior was amazing. just didnt like the soft, boaty ride

The GS and RL interior are on the same level, not the TSX. I can understand some owners wanting to stick up for their car but putting the TSX's interior quality/materials on the same level as the GS is pretty delusional.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
While I agree the TSX's interior isn't on the same level as the GS's, the GS's interior wasn't all that great for a 50K+ vehicle either. The RL's interior was IMO ALOT better, as way the M's, although just barely. Then again these things are mostly subjective anyway.

For the most part I agree with fdl. Lexus makes a great car, just not cars that really inspire a true auto enthusiast.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
The Lexus IS350 isn't build really well at all.
i have an IS350 and i HAD a TL-S. the IS build quality is better, hands down.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread rocks

People justifying their purchases by bashing other better products
Making up ridiculous claims of quality to help their argument

lol

The IS350 kills a Acura TL in just about every detail.

And Acura's quality SUCKS ASS. Just go look in the 3rd gen Acura TL forums. Search for lets say "rattle" then get out your reading glasses, you're going to be reading for DAYS....

On the other hand, the Acura TL is probably the best bang for your buck...

Both the Lexus IS350 and TL are about equally boring looking to me...
Old 10-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa
We are not talking about Toyotas. We are talking about Lexus.
The IS350 has pretty damn good build quality.

Lexus is Toyota. And the IS350 is not that great of build quality. If it was people wouldn't be bitching about it on the Lexus forums.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by importtuner
The Lexus will blowww Acura in terms of interior quality and materials used. I have both.
I have owned 3 Toyotas/Lexus cars and Acura is right now is equal or in some cars better than Lexus in Quality.

Our RX300 was a great car. Built great. But of course Sludge issues with Toyota, and other issues. Our RL is better quality than the GS350 we drove. And the IS350 is CHEAP for 42k. You don't even get HIDs standard. lol.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

When I said X I meant something such as "Brand X"
In my original statment I simply said the rx was sporty along a couple other models. I never said compared to X, Y, or Z.
It was the other kid, whom I let myself get caught up in a dumb arguement, who started all the bullshit x vs y crap trying to out me as some kind of troll.
My god, I like Lexus. Shit, I must be a troll
Didn't realize I had be soley on Acura's tip to be here.

You are a troll when you make a new account and start defending another car brand to death. And that is all you have done sinec you started posting. You are like 1SickLex.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Safety Car

Guess you haven't looked at the new Lexus. I mean when you pay over 40k even for the lowest Lexus model you would expect real wood. But the IS doesn't even come with wood standard except PAINTED plastic to make it look like Alum.

The TL is a 30-33k car. It can't come with real wood for that price. The RL does come with real wood and actually better quality wood imho than the Lexus RX300 we had. Our 07 Camrys were even worse build quality than other cars we recently had due to the Tranny, and rattles and cheap materials.

Lexus/Toyota is overated. We thought they were good because everyone always talks good about them. So we gave them a try and will not again for a long time.

Originally Posted by aaronnn
i still dont see how the interior of the lexus GS is on par with the TSX...

acura's got fake vinyl leather, which makes a nice imitation leather i guess and all that plastic fake wood.. hard plastic, covered in more vinyl...

where are you getting that the tsx is even close to the GS's premium leather and real wood??

when you sit in both cars, it feels like two different worlds to me. im not saying the fake stuff is bad in the acura, i actually think its great how honda/acura can make one of the best imitation wood, trim, leather, etc.. without bringing up the price, but when you sit in a lexus, its totally different man.

my aunt has an ES330, and my mom used to have a GS430. these are both the previous gens, and i think the interior was amazing. just didnt like the soft, boaty ride
Old 10-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

Lexus is Toyota. And the IS350 is not that great of build quality. If it was people wouldn't be bitching about it on the Lexus forums.
I have owned 3 Toyotas/Lexus cars and Acura is right now is equal or in some cars better than Lexus in Quality.

Our RX300 was a great car. Built great. But of course Sludge issues with Toyota, and other issues. Our RL is better quality than the GS350 we drove. And the IS350 is CHEAP for 42k. You don't even get HIDs standard. lol.
Lexus is owned by Toyota. Acura is owned by Honda. Infiniti is owned by Nissan.
What's your point? That a corrolla is in every a way a Lexus? That a Honda Fit is in everyway a TSX? I got news for you, they aren't not. Acura is way more closely related to its Honda brethren then Lexus or Infiniti to their respecitve kin.

My mother owned a RX300 and she never had an issue with it. She also kept it routinely maintained at the dealer. And if I remember correctly, the sludge issue was generally happening to people who werent getting there oil changed regularly.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SiGGy
This thread rocks

The IS350 kills a Acura TL in just about every detail.

And Acura's quality SUCKS ASS. Just go look in the 3rd gen Acura TL forums. Search for lets say "rattle" then get out your reading glasses, you're going to be reading for DAYS....

On the other hand, the Acura TL is probably the best bang for your buck...

Both the Lexus IS350 and TL are about equally boring looking to me...
I don't see it. Since I drove a IS350/250 before I bought the TL and it felt cheap to me. The TL sold me. Even my 05 G35 felt better than the IS350. I didn't want the wood look either which would help the IS.

Sure might be rattles, but like I said, your paying 10k more for a car that gives you less for the money and not enough extra build quality over the TL. I rather get a RL over a IS350 anyday which we did.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Guess you haven't looked at the new Lexus. I mean when you pay over 40k even for the lowest Lexus model you would expect real wood. But the IS doesn't even come with wood standard except PAINTED plastic to make it look like Alum.

The TL is a 30-33k car. It can't come with real wood for that price. The RL does come with real wood and actually better quality wood imho than the Lexus RX300 we had. Our 07 Camrys were even worse build quality than other cars we recently had due to the Tranny, and rattles and cheap materials.

Lexus/Toyota is overated. We thought they were good because everyone always talks good about them. So we gave them a try and will not again for a long time.

Oh no, it doesnt have REAL wood?

Originally Posted by SiGGy
This thread rocks

People justifying their purchases by bashing other better products
Making up ridiculous claims of quality to help their argument

FREAKING

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 10-19-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Banned

You are a troll when you make a new account and start defending another car brand to death. And that is all you have done sinec you started posting. You are like 1SickLex.

You should at when I started the account. And I have been talking about my respect for other makes of cars as well. This just happens to be a Lexus thread, and I do happen to like Lexus a lot. You can keep calling me a troll if you'd like, but the fact remains that you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

Lexus is owned by Toyota. Acura is owned by Honda. Infiniti is owned by Nissan.
What's your point? That a corrolla is in every a way a Lexus? That a Honda Fit is in everyway a TSX? I got news for you, they aren't not. Acura is way more closely related to its Honda brethren then Lexus or Infiniti to their respecitve kin.

My mother owned a RX300 and she never had an issue with it. She also kept it routinely maintained at the dealer. And if I remember correctly, the sludge issue was generally happening to people who werent getting there oil changed regularly.
Actually Sludge issues were happening at the dealer recommended intervals.
BITOG forums lots of info on that.

It was a great suv. She liked it except for its poor turning radius. They fixed that on the newer RX330. But after seeing some of the newer cars from Lexus I just don't see them on par with the older ones. Everyone is getting cheaper now.

Recalls and TSB's speak for themselves. Toyota in the past few years has had more recalls than any other manufacture except maybe ford or gm. There are articles about Toyota/Lexus quality going down because they are concentrating on getting to big.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Banned

I don't see it. Since I drove a IS350/250 before I bought the TL and it felt cheap to me. The TL sold me. Even my 05 G35 felt better than the IS350. I didn't want the wood look either which would help the IS.

Sure might be rattles, but like I said, your paying 10k more for a car that gives you less for the money and not enough extra build quality over the TL. I rather get a RL over a IS350 anyday which we did.
I think the fact is YOU are cheap. Or jealous. The 05 G35 interior, while not terrible, is no where near the IS in build quality/materials.

Now, if you are talking about the new 07 G35, that is another story. Its close or on par to the Lexus. how do I know? Because I spent two weeks with the prototypes about a month ago...but what would I know, I'm just a Lexus troll.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Oh no, it doesnt have REAL wood?
Re-read what I said again

For 40k I would expect it to come with REAL WOOD. lol.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

You should at when I started the account. And I have been talking about my respect for other makes of cars as well. This just happens to be a Lexus thread, and I do happen to like Lexus a lot. You can keep calling me a troll if you'd like, but the fact remains that you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.
LOL. Ok. I don't have a clue. But I have stated many facts. Oh and I also have owned Nissan/Infinit/Lexus/Toyota/Acura cars in my lifetime, even GM cars (never again). So I know what has quality and doesn't.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Re-read what I said again

For 40k I would expect it to come with REAL WOOD. lol.

I just think thats a weird comment to make. I cant even tell the difference between fake and real wood these day. Let alone i dont think that would even stop me from buying a car.

But sorry, i would pay extra to get no rattles even if it had FAKE wood.

To me, you get what you pay for and the IS shows it over the TL.
(yes i driven both a TL and IS250 many times)
Old 10-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Pro

if the is350 felt cheap to you, the TL must feel like complete utter shit.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

Well they said its a big deal. The Lexus boy.

Every car has rattles.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by extremetls
if the is350 felt cheap to you, the TL must feel like complete utter shit.
LOL! Sorry but the TL is a well built car. How many more ugly remarks your gonna make which aren't true?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:33 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

This thread has the potential to go on forever and get ugly. Don't make it personal people.

Jesal, what are you doing in here, I don't think the 335 has been mentioned yet.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Pro

LOL! Sorry but the TL is a well built car. How many more ugly remarks your gonna make which aren't true?
everyone is going against what you are saying. maybe you need to take another look at the IS.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Pro

I hate those people who think they are the shit when they drive a Mercedes, c'mon it's just a luxury Chrysler.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:38 PM
6MT & LSD

Funny how the thread starter drives a rebadged Honda... not even that much more luxurious than the Honda version. And he calls Lexus "luxury Toyota"? Oh, the irony.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

The TL is well built. So is an Accord. So is a TSX.

But they aren't as well built as a Lexus or an Infiniti. They are just solid.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
This thread has the potential to go on forever and get ugly. Don't make it personal people.

Jesal, what are you doing in here, I don't think the 335 has been mentioned yet.

I was just here making sure no one mentioned BMW.

Plus i will defend the cars that i actually do like. TSX, RL, and the IS are some...

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 10-19-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ndx2
Funny how the thread starter drives a rebadged Honda... not even that much more luxurious than the Honda version. And he calls Lexus "luxury Toyota"? Oh, the irony.

For the record, the thread starter isn't that big a fan of his TSX. He does however have a huge hard on for the 07 G35.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Safety Car

The TL is well built. So is an Accord. So is a TSX.

But they aren't as well built as a Lexus or an Infiniti. They are just solid.
Acura is over Infiniti in build quality. No doubt about that.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
For the record, the thread starter isn't that big a fan of his TSX. He does however have a huge hard on for the 07 G35.
And unless the the 07's have shown up at dealers, I'm probably the only person here who has spent any time with them.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Can't say I would describe Lexus as over rated...over priced, yes, over rated, no. They are very good cars; even with their reliability/quality slipping they are still some of the best cars on the road. I have known lots of people who have owned Lexus', and they were all VERY satisfied. Styling? Uh, yeah...I'm not a fan, but that's all personal taste...everyone's opinion will differ.

The only point of the OP's I will agree with is the service (receptionist/sales staff)...I had a similar experience when I test drove an IS300...not what I would expect from a luxury dealer. If I wanted to get ignored, talked down to, and be given high pressure sales tactics while looking at a car, I would go to an American dealership.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,725 Likes on 13,937 Posts
Originally Posted by massr1
I hate those people who think they are the shit when they drive a Mercedes, c'mon it's just a luxury Chrysler.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Okay...can people explain the overpriced concept to me? Cuz, it's been used a few times in this thread...

If you're gonna pay an X amount of $$$ on a car, why is that overpriced? If you think it's overpriced, isn't it because you can't afford it? If you price out a Lexus car and compare it to the other cars in its segment (Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Infiniti, Acura, et al), its price is quite comparable. And to be honest, for the look (reliability compared to the Germans ) and what you get overall, not a bad price...?

Or am I off to orbit again?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Lexus sucks and is an overrated Luxury Toyota. Here's why.....

A few days ago after work I went to a Lexus dealer and wanted to test drive the GS350. The salespeople weren't helpful at all at McGrath Lexus and were arrogant sobs.

Is that the one by woodfield?

I been there twice and was blown away and how fast they help you out. You walk in and the front desk lady right away asked if i needed help. I said yes and she called a salesperson right away.

I wasnt even dressed well and I even told the sales guy that i wasnt going to buy and was just interested. He still helped me with all the questions i had.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Is that the one by woodfield?

I been there twice and was blown away and how fast they help you out. You walk in and the front desk lady right away asked if i needed help. I said yes and she called a salesperson right away.

I wasnt even dressed well and I even told the sales guy that i wasnt going to buy and was just interested. He still helped me with all the questions i had.
The Lexus dealership I've been to here was courteous as well...if anything, it was the Mercedes-Benz dealerships (there are two here) that were stinko in the service category (back when the C-class (shaddap) was being considered amongst my car choices)...
Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Okay...can people explain the overpriced concept to me? Cuz, it's been used a few times in this thread...

If you're gonna pay an X amount of $$$ on a car, why is that overpriced? If you think it's overpriced, isn't it because you can't afford it? If you price out a Lexus car and compare it to the other cars in its segment (Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Infiniti, Acura, et al), its price is quite comparable. And to be honest, for the look (reliability compared to the Germans ) and what you get overall, not a bad price...?

Or am I off to orbit again?

Anyone can call anything overpriced. Some can even call the TL an overpriced Accord, i mean it has almost all the same options...

I drive an overpriced Passat.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Anyone can call anything overpriced. Some can even call the TL an overpriced Accord, i mean it has almost all the same options...

I drive an overpriced Passat.

Dammit...Aston Martins are fawking overpriced. They are just glorified Fords...

Old 10-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by massr1

Umm, I think you have it backwards. Daimler bought Chrysler Chrysler is now a German owned company.

While your out riding on your hate wagon take a minute and realize what your doing is stupid... and at least get your facts straight. You're going to need to fabricate another reason to hate Benz owners now

EDITED

Sorry, I missed the red text sarcasm...
Old 10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Over priced is really as subjective as the styling. I don't see where a comparably equiped Lexus is priced similarly to an Acura...to the Germans, yes. Because I can get an Acura with all the same stuff as a Lexus for $10-15k less, I consider the Lexus over priced. Other people might not...they have their justifications for the price difference...some intangible that makes it worth the extra money. To me, the intangible is reliability, which Acura has, thus making the Lexus not worth the extra money. Now, if you exclude Acura, yes, the Lexus is the best deal because the reliability is far superior to the German's (but then I'd have a serious dilemma because I don't like Lexus' styling).
Old 10-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by Yumchah

Dammit...Aston Martins are fawking overpriced. They are just glorified Fords...
Just like Jaguar's.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Over priced is really as subjective as the styling. I don't see where a comparably equiped Lexus is priced similarly to an Acura...to the Germans, yes. Because I can get an Acura with all the same stuff as a Lexus for $10-15k less, I consider the Lexus over priced. Other people might not...they have their justifications for the price difference...some intangible that makes it worth the extra money. To me, the intangible is reliability, which Acura has, thus making the Lexus not worth the extra money. Now, if you exclude Acura, yes, the Lexus is the best deal because the reliability is far superior to the German's (but then I'd have a serious dilemma because I don't like Lexus' styling).
There you go. It's something you feel...

Put it this way, if Lexus was indeed that overpriced, the sales numbers/revenue would reflect it to the general public.

Quick Reply: Lexus is overrated (IMO)