"Lexus Luxury Redifined"

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
"Lexus Luxury Redifined"

When to a Lexus driving experience thing on Saturday. It was for the SUV's. It was really nice. Good weather good food. They had 3 tents set up to drive different Vehicles. They were set up according to price ranges.

Tent 1: Lexus RX330
Acura MDX
Volvo XC90
BMW X5 3.3
I didnt go this one. Not enough time and it was a road course. I figure i could just go the dealers and do that.

Tent 2: Lexus GX470
Lincoln Aviator
BMW X.5 4.4(?)
Land Rover Discovery

this was an off road course that they built it was pretty cool. It had a ground clearance log then some ruts and ravines. I forgot all the technical terms they told us. At the end they had a huge hill that you had to scramble up and the come down. That is a cool feeling because you step on the gas and all you see is sky and all of a sudden you reach the peak, get a peak around then all you see is ground ... and it feels like you are going to fly out the sun roof and the truck is going to smack down into the ground right in front of you. Anyways, the Aviator was OK but it couldnt do alot of the off roading stuff becuause of the way the 4WD system is set up. So that was kinda :ghey: The biggest dissapointement was the Discovery. What a peice of shit. It was squeekin all over the place and making all kinds of weird engagement/ disengagement noises. The only thing cool was the dual sunroofs....and the truck looks awsome. But after this experience i would never drive one. The Lexus and the Bimmer were even in my mind. But, the interiors on the Lexus were way more comfortable. Both were squeek free, but the back door was rattling on the BMW. The Bimmer felt a tad more solid..but didnt have the right tires/ ground clearance for some real offroading. The back end was taking beating. But it did make it thru. The controls in the car were typical BMW confusing. The lexus went thru the course with no problem. Not a scratch...a little softer sprung. If it wasnt so fugly it would wave been way better. Ok.....

TENT 3: Lexus LX470
Cadillac Escalade
Mercedes ML55 AMG
Land Rover Range Rover

The Escalade looked out classed in this group. It looked outright ghetto compared to the other vehicles. Kinda sad cuz i always thought they were kinda cool. THe colum shift just looked :ghey: and outdated. Big dissapointed ... big and sloppy. It also has some funky traction control system that prevents it from doin the heavy offroading i guess. The had a detour course for this just like the Aviator. The Mercedes looked cool IMO. But definatley NOT built for offroading. The new interiours are nice...but not as hight quality as you would expect. THe back bumpers on the two vehicles were shredded. It would make it thru...the engine sounded comfortable while going thru the course. The car can make it thru but it is not made for this stuff. The interior was squeeking like crazy, though. A big dissapointment in that dept.
The Lexus...was confident and sure footed. You could change the ride hieght. I actually liked the interior better in the GX than the LX. It looked kinda ghetto but nobody has as nice leather as the Lexus's....soft soft soft!!! I think the Land Cruiser is a better looking version of this vehicle. I don't like all the plastic Lexus puts on their vehicles. But, i guess that is kind a besides the point. One surprising thing was that there was a little bit of squeek from both of the trucks i drove.
My favourite vehicle of the day ... The Range Rover. This truck looks impressive. It has such nice clean lines. It comes with 19's which are The ride hide almost looks like you put hydraulics in the vehicle. It can go way tall and and sit down low .. and it looks good both ways. The GX looked funny way up high because of all the moldings it has. The interior on this vehicle was gorgeous. It had chrome rimmed guages like the ML...but the ML looked like plastic electro-plating compared to this stuff. Beautiful wood...not shiny like most vehicles but a nice matt finish that screams quality. Not a peep from the interior. This thing is huge on the outside and the inside. Very comfortable. Everything screams quality and class. It went thru the course like it was a joke. I think the engine barely broke idle thru the whole thing. I am in love with this thing. You can tell that the Discovery is from the old way of doing things at Land Rover and the Range Rover is the new way. Wow....the CLS is the first car i have ever owned. I have always driven suv's/ trucks. I am ready to go back after driving this thing.

So.............my favourite vehicles were the BMW X5, the GX 470 (even though the looks dont do anything for me) and the Range Rover. That vehicle is in a class of its own. You could't ask for more. Lexus definately know's how to build luxury cars though. You can tell that right away. They have to be the best luxury car maker over all i believe. They had all the vehicles on dislplay everywhere. They were good looking and you could tell that the build quality is impeccable.
What a great way to spend a Saturday.

On a side note....the guys who were running the track said every vehicle on the test fleet had been to the dealerships multiple times for stuff breaking except the Lexux's. From what i have read and seen i can definately believe that.

a nickle for everyone that reads this whole post. :P
Old 06-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

does this mean i get to keep all my nickels?
Old 06-09-2003, 01:25 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
i read it all, but what do you want me to say?
Old 06-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of that group, I would take the Range Rover......who wouldn't, the thing is $72k. Although, I do think they could put a little more juice in it for what they charge.

On a more realistic level, I would get the Aviator. After taking a 20 minute drive in one, I'm sold.......I thought it was great.

The Lexus is ugly as sin, from behind it looks like a Skyscraper.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

I like the Aviator as well. That was the first car i drove. I had been real curious to see this vehicle. Besides the GX it was the only car in that group that didnt squeek. the 4wd system wasnt disigned for goin major off roading. I guess it will never be used for that by most people....

I thought the Lexus (esp GX) are pretty ugly, too....it is a shame since the interior was amazing, as was the performance.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:26 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Originally posted by Loseit
I like the Aviator as well. That was the first car i drove....
Didnt u say the Aviator was just "OK"?

Anyway - i dont know why they would even bother with the "offroad" test since nobody is gonna take their lux. suv out there.... and esp not one which costs $60k plus.

Lexus does make the best overall cars and trucks anywhere
Old 06-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

and they are reliable as fuck.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:27 PM

We had a meet here and I damn near drove all 45 SUvs. One Volvo broke down, the Aviator and Escalade had to take detours cause they could not follow the competition in the off-road terrain. They even had 2 ML 55s!

My favs were the Range Rover, LX, RX, and the X5 really surprised me. The worst were the Land Rover, Escalade (for goodness sakes, they still have exposed screws), the Aviator and ML 320.

They had Salmon, crabcakes, teryaki rolls, A/C tents and smoothies. And they had some hot chics working there.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
the only problem with the X5 is it's only for 5 ppl.......what's the point........I would rather have a car