Old 08-30-2004, 11:08 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Jay Leno talks about his new Supercars

Comic Relief: Jay Leno talks about his new Supercars
MARK VAUGHN
Published Date: 8/30/04

There aren’t very many of us who could ever hope to own a supercar, especially a new supercar. The number of people who could buy three of them at once—the Mercedes SLR, Porsche Carrera GT and Ford GT—is even smaller. But of that group, those who will actually drive them, and happily talk to you about the experience, it comes down to one guy—Jay Leno. ¡ At one point Leno was supposed to take delivery of all three of those cars on the same September day. What a day that would have been. Which one do you drive? The Ford came early, though, and as of press time the Carrera GT and SLR are still on their way. ¡ Leno has already driven all three at various venues around the world. Mercedes let him loose with an SLR on the (unfortunately named) Idiada test track in Spain, Ford had him driving the GT at Laguna Seca, and Porsche gave him a Carrera GT for a few days in Los Angeles. We spoke to him recently by phone.

Q: What, no Enzo?

A: It doesn’t interest me. I don’t like the paddle shifter. I like to
shift myself.

Q: You still have the Carrera GT loaner, how do you like that?

A: I put 500 miles on it. I bought it because of the clutch. What is it, a 60,000-mile clutch? The McLaren clutch [Leno also owns a McLaren F1] is 3000 or 4000 miles. I love the fact that [the Carrera GT] has no paddle shifter. I have not met anyone who loves paddle shifters. I think there’s a great deal of satisfaction in mastering the proper shift of a car. If it’s going to shift for you, get the video.

Q: Wasn’t the Carrera GT clutch difficult to get used to?

A: I didn’t have any problems. I read one road test that said, "Oh, it’ll really build up your thigh muscles." Well, how lazy are we getting? I have a Hispano-Suiza and that thing has a clutch—you operate that for a few blocks and you’re sweating. But this car, it’s like, "Oh shut up, are you really mentally and physically exhausted from shifting?"

The real trick to driving the car is you put it in gear, don’t give it any gas, release the clutch and it goes. I find it’s one of those things that gives a car character. Just as it was mastering the earlier 911’s handling characteristics.

I have a number of W.O. Bentleys and that is a hard car to shift. You grind gears. I called the guy I bought the first one from and he says, "You’ll get the hang of it," and he was right. You just feel a great amount of satisfaction from learning and performing the mechanical process of shifting.

Q: You really love that carbon clutch, don’t you?

A: It doesn’t smoke, it doesn’t smell. Any other car, you do a burnout and, "Sniff, sniff, uh oh." Let’s face it, if you’ve got a Countach and some kid comes up to you in a ’57 Chevy, you say, "Yeah, I could beat this kid but it’ll cost me $4,700 in clutch repairs." With the Porsche it’s not like that.

Q: How’s it handle?

A: It’s rear-drive, you give it a little gas on an on-ramp or someplace and the tail end comes around. You’re not endangering anyone, you’re just having fun.

Q: Have you had other Porsches?

A: This is the first Porsche I’ve ever bought. I didn’t come to it as this huge Porsche enthusiast and, "Let’s help the home team."Most supercars are sort of old-fashioned, they have a tube frame and a big engine. And this is a [with dramatic, newscaster tone] technological tour de force.

Q: How does it compare to the Mercedes SLR?

A: The Porsche is a sports car. With the Porsche you can go from point A to point B, assuming you have a locked garage at each point. With the Mercedes you can drive it as you would any Mercedes. The SLR is 95 percent sports car. With that extra 5 percent you can park it, you can get in and out of it, you can drive down the street. With the GT you can’t park, you can’t see and you don’t want to scrape the wheels on the curb.

The Porsche is extremely rewarding. Getting in and out of the Porsche is not as easy as the other cars. On a racetrack the Porsche would probably win. The SLR would be an all-around road car. You could give the valet the SLR. You couldn’t give the valet the Porsche.

Q: How was it to drive the SLR?

A: It feels very much like a sports car. I drove the SLR at over 200 mph in Spain and you couldn’t break it. We had 12 guys there beating the s*** out of it; you’d be going 212, 213 mph on the speedometer and you’re thinking, "Hmmm, let me turn the air conditioning down."

One of the guys pulled into the pits and the brakes were on fire. The Germans were like, [Schwarzenegger voice] "That is okay, that is normal, they will cool down."

The SLR is probably the more real-world, everyday driver car, [though] I commuted every day with the Carrera.

Q: How’s the Ford GT?

A: The Ford GT, to me, is just like an emotional experience. I am not a big sports guy, and I am told the greatest moment in sports history is when the U.S. team beat the Russians in hockey at the Olympics. For me [the greatest moment] was the Ford GT40 winning Le Mans. The idea that my mom’s Fairlane had the same DNA as the car that just won Le Mans was amazing.

I think they’ve done a wonderful job. It’s what, 13 percent bigger than the original? Hey, I’d like to be 13 percent bigger than I was in 1966; that’d be fine with me.

When I look at the three of them, emotionally the [Ford] GT has the strongest pull.

It was the last car you could drive at Le Mans and also, possibly, drive on the street. I think it’s the bargain of the century. Look, $150,000 is a lot of money, but when you realize that the Ford GT is within, what is it, a tenth of a second of the Enzo? And it’s a Ford! So you could fix it yourself if you had to.

Q: Anything else?

A: Do me a favor and don’t make me seem like some sort of rich-guy, showbiz a******, okay? I just like cars.
About the Enzo, BS IMO. He probly couldn't get an Enzo. Either that or he and Clutchperformer can shake hands.

And how does that explain the SLR, which also has no MT option?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The SLR is an AUTO!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Jay Leno not able to get an Enzo? I don't think so. Jay Leno had a nice discussion about the Enzo with the cars designer at a show in Pasadena, CA. The car really doesn't appeal to him and Ken Okuyama agrees that it's not a car for everyone.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Whats scary is he only uses the money he makes from his standup gigs to pay for all this stuff. All his Tonight Show money gets put away. I mean he's a good comdeian but not that good.

domn, who is jealous.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:18 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Jay Leno not able to get an Enzo? I don't think so. Jay Leno had a nice discussion about the Enzo with the cars designer at a show in Pasadena, CA. The car really doesn't appeal to him and Ken Okuyama agrees that it's not a car for everyone.

There were only what 300 Enzo's made? (Can't remember the exact number) Maybe he didn't qualify. I sure there are 300 or so people that are alot richer than Jay that wanted the Enzo.

Point is he doesn't like the paddle shifters but is fine with them in the SLR? I'm not buying his excuse about why their OK in the SLR either.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by domn
There were only what 300 Enzo's made? (Can't remember the exact number) Maybe he didn't qualify. I sure there are 300 or so people that are alot richer than Jay that wanted the Enzo.

Point is he doesn't like the paddle shifters but is fine with them in the SLR? I'm not buying his excuse about why their OK in the SLR either.
Perhaps, but I know someone who actually did get an Enzo and he definitely does not have as much money as Leno.

I think I remember from my friend who was at the conversation between Jay and Ken Okuyama that Jay said he decided not to get the car after some consideration.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Its the best performing (Except Top Speed) most exclusive SuperCar of all time. I'd bet my TSX he couldn't get one.

Too bad he had to "settle" for the other 3
Old 08-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Its the best performing (Except Top Speed) most exclusive SuperCar of all time. I'd bet my TSX he couldn't get one.

Too bad he had to "settle" for the other 3
It's funny...I watched an interview about Jay Leno's collection and he says that he's not a car collector solely for performance, but rather he's a collector of cars with something unique to the character.

He owns one of those gas-turbine powered motorcycles, he owns this big-ass car that is powered by a train engine, and he owns a bunch of other really strange and different cars. I really would believe that he just didn't like the Enzo, but that's just my take. You could be right, but unless Jay admits one way or the other, no one will know.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Q: What, no Enzo?

A: It doesn’t interest me. I don’t like the paddle shifter. I like to
shift myself.

Q: You still have the Carrera GT loaner, how do you like that?

A: I put 500 miles on it. I bought it because of the clutch. What is it, a 60,000-mile clutch? The McLaren clutch [Leno also owns a McLaren F1] is 3000 or 4000 miles. I love the fact that [the Carrera GT] has no paddle shifter. I have not met anyone who loves paddle shifters. I think there’s a great deal of satisfaction in mastering the proper shift of a car. If it’s going to shift for you, get the video.
Somewhere Clutch and Soze are going
Old 08-30-2004, 11:44 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

i doubt he would care if you bought his excuse. he's the one with those sick cars, you're not. :killer:
Old 08-30-2004, 11:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
Only a complete lunatic would turn away an Enzo because it didn't have an MT. I have a feeling Clutch and Soze fit that bill
Old 08-30-2004, 11:47 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jiggaman
i doubt he would care if you bought his excuse. he's the one with those sick cars, you're not. :killer:

I'd at least have the balls to admit my application was rejected. (Which it was, due to insuffucient funds )
Old 08-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja

The Enzo is useless unless you have a track in your backyard or you're shooting a rap video. Plus I'd never ever ever EVER qualify for one.

Clutch, who really would rather have a 575M with a six-speed.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Photography Nerd

At equal money I'd take the Enzo of course but the 575M 6MT is what I call a Ferrari. Ferraris to me are more than just track cars. You should be able to take a set of clubs and some luggage for weekend getaway. If I owned a Ferrari I'd drive it everywhere. The Enzo is not that kind of car.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
At equal money I'd take the Enzo of course but the 575M 6MT is what I call a Ferrari. Ferraris to me are more than just track cars. You should be able to take a set of clubs and some luggage for weekend getaway. If I owned a Ferrari I'd drive it everywhere. The Enzo is not that kind of car.
reminds me of the top gear about the Ford GT. It has a max distance of 75 miles on a full tank of gas, try driving THAT everywhere. Of course the host Clarkson, owner of a GT, lives 80 miles from the studio
Old 08-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by xizor
....Ford GT.... has a max distance of 75 miles on a full tank of gas...
That's ridiculous....
Old 08-30-2004, 01:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

The fuel tank must be smaller than 10 G then?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Only a complete lunatic would turn away an Enzo because it didn't have an MT. I have a feeling Clutch and Soze fit that bill
Add me to the club.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by biker
Add me to the club.

Lunatic Club

1. ClutchPerformer (Also Club President)
2. Soze75
3. Biker

Anyone else?

Old 08-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
It seems to me that one could buy some left over real F1 or GT car and with a few minor mods make it street legal. That might be rarer and cheaper and more attainable than an Enzo.

Biker, who wonders if old race cars come up for sale often.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xizor
reminds me of the top gear about the Ford GT. It has a max distance of 75 miles on a full tank of gas, try driving THAT everywhere. Of course the host Clarkson, owner of a GT, lives 80 miles from the studio
I do recall that the host of that show was doing donuts and burnouts in the Ford GT. So maybe if he didn't do that, the mileage would be 80 miles on a full tank of gas.

:blaze:
Old 08-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

link to the ep

17.5 gallon tank, 4mpg having fun, with a possible 12mpg being very careful
Old 08-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Teh ?

Thought I would throw some history out here about the Ford GT, for those who might not know...

Most of the younger generation is wonder "why make a GT that looks so similar to the old GT?" Well, if one reads up, the GT is considered one of the greatest, and personal, things ever done by any car company.

Back in the original GT days, Ferrari was in dire financial straits. Ford, being the giant at the time, decided to put a bid out for the company. Almost everything was agreed upon, and some sources say, the sale only needed the ink from the Enzo himself and Ford. Supposedly, the legend goes anyway, that Iococca and Enzo met in Italy. All seemed to be ironed out, except that Ford wanted some technology sharing so that Ford could break into the racing market. Enzo thought this would lessen the prestige of his namesake, so he cancelled the deal with the contracts all in front of him.

This set off some of the company heads, including Ford, who then decided to trump Ferrari at their own game. Excessive money was put into the GT40 program, with everything from asking for advice from Lotus to Porsche. But when the GT40 hit the streets, it was considered one of the greatest achievements in automotive history. A company with no prior performance division, who started from scratch, took down Ferrari at LeMans to go 1-2-3 in the race. Ford actually attended the race, and stared down Enzo throughout the race.

Oh course, Ferrari recovered financially and Ford couldn't keep investing such elaborate amounts of capital to this project. But the GT is legendary in the racing circles around the world.

Junkster, who had nothing better to do
Old 08-30-2004, 03:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

The first and last time that Ford trumps Ferrari.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:43 PM
Teh ?

but to take down Ferrari with a name like Ford...

VW actually got to buy two exotic badges (Lambo and Bugatti). Lambo benefited from VW's parts bin, but still no Ferrari. And Bugatti... eesh, that project must be the greatest disaster in automotive history.

Junkster, who thinks the Veyron is never going to come out
Old 08-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by Junkster
but to take down Ferrari with a name like Ford...

VW actually got to buy two exotic badges (Lambo and Bugatti). Lambo benefited from VW's parts bin, but still no Ferrari. And Bugatti... eesh, that project must be the greatest disaster in automotive history.

Junkster, who thinks the Veyron is never going to come out
They offically canned the Veyron a couple months ago.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:53 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
They offically canned the Veyron a couple months ago.
Really?!

I just read a month ago on CAR magazine that VW said they would push on with the project despite the setbacks.

If it is cancelled, that's like 100 deposits for a million bucks of so that they need to refund, plus all the capital that's been invested for the last 7 years...

Chalk it up to VW to waste money...

Junkster, who heard VW financial records are the murkiest in automotive companies
Old 08-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Photography Nerd

I remember reading a German car mag in July that said it was cancelled. I know my German is pretty horrible, but I'm sure that's what I read.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Teh ?

Thanks, Dan... now I can grill my VW-lovin friends at their pathetic Veyron that they bragged about...

Bob: hehe, let's see Honda do a supercar... oh, they can't. HAHA. The Veyron is the shiznit.
Me: ... yea, whatever.

Now I can say...

Me: oh, what happened to your 200+mph veyron? huh?
Bob:... yea, whatever.

Junkster, who has fun arguing with VW crowds
Old 08-30-2004, 05:35 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its very possible that leno couldnt qualify for an enzo. Its not just about money, as preference is given to previous ferrari owners. So with only 300 available ... the odds are against him.

Could be he just doesnt like the car for whatever reason, but the paddle shifter excuse is obviously BS with him driving around that slushbox SLR.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:36 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Thanks, Dan... now I can grill my VW-lovin friends at their pathetic Veyron that they bragged about...

Bob: hehe, let's see Honda do a supercar... oh, they can't. HAHA. The Veyron is the shiznit.
Me: ... yea, whatever.

Now I can say...

Me: oh, what happened to your 200+mph veyron? huh?
Bob:... yea, whatever.

Junkster, who has fun arguing with VW crowds

Yes but VW can now brag about the Lamborghini
Old 08-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Teh ?

good point fdl...

The requirements for the Enzo were strict... you had to be a owner of at least two previous Ferraris, and have completed a Ferrari driving class (I think).

Junkster, who would just go for the Porsche 911 twin turbo
Old 08-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by fdl
Yes but VW can now brag about the Lamborghini
yea, they do have that...

At least a TSX isn't made in Mexico...
And the RL won't be a Phaeton...

Junkster, who has three close friends who drive VWs
Old 08-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Photography Nerd

Apparently I'm wrong again:

Originally Posted by C&D
2005 Bugatti EB 16-4 Veyron This million-dollar supercar, powered by a 987-hp, 922-b-ft quad-turbo 64-valve W-16 (two W8s back to back) will be built in Molsheim, France--eventually. There have been numerous delays, but deliveries are expected to start sometime in 2005
Announced Today (8/30/04). Strange coincidence....
Old 08-30-2004, 05:42 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

yea, they do have that...

At least a TSX isn't made in Mexico...
And the RL won't be a Phaeton...

Junkster, who has three close friends who drive VWs

Me too, some real hard core "v dub fans". The mexico thing is a winner every time. And just recently my friends old gti caught fire and burned to the ground. I've got plenty of material to last me a while
Old 08-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Teh ?

And I have nothing against VWs. They are great cars for the money...

I just don't want Made in Mexico labelled on my car.

Dan, you bastard!!! Now I can't rag them about the Veyron... well, not about cancelled production anyway.

Junkster, who thinks the Veyron is a total stinker
Old 08-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Burning Brakes

I have a lot of friends who are vw ethusiasts. I used to drive one myself and you should have heard the ricer comments when I told them I was buying a TSX. I have nothing against the dubs...in fact I still would like one later on in life as a project car.

The Mexico/Brazil comment usually ends many of their back handed compliments. Another winning argument is..."so my car has XXXX miles on the odometer and it's been in the shop X times. So how many times has your vw been in the shop?"
Old 08-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Teh ?

sorry, are we jacking this thread?

Junkster, who hates thread jackings
Old 08-30-2004, 07:43 PM
6MT Snob

The Enzo list was very exclusive...

The first people who had the oppertunity to buy one are people who allready own a F40 AND F50!

"To be ”suitable” to purchase one of the 349 Ferrari Enzo Ferrari to be made, one has to be a long-time Ferrari customer, and one should have owned an F40 and an F50"

Found that from an article i read back in the day :blaze:
Old 08-30-2004, 08:52 PM
I'm allergic to bull

I want a Porsche 917

Quick Reply: Jay Leno talks about his new Supercars